Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hummingbirds on Nature TV

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 8:44 pm

2seaoat

Very cool research.  Humming birds will nest all around a hawk's nest.  Apparently the raptor is to too slow and big to get the hummingbirds, but the hawk keeps the predators who go after humming bird's nests...........squirrels and other birds stay away from the nesting hawk......cool stuff.

2Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 8:49 pm

2seaoat

They are changing their migration patterns from Mexico to the Gulf Coast.

3Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 9:40 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

That's interesting.  We had a hummingbird feeder outside our kitchen window last summer.  I love watching them.  

Now the fireflies are out.  They were late coming this year.  But just the last few evenings, they've finally shown up. Smile

4Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 9:52 pm

2seaoat

My wife got a hummingbird feeder last year.  We had them feeding on our flowers and she hopes the feeder will draw more to the kitchen window.

5Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 10:05 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

We have flowers in the pond that they like, but they also came to the feeder.   But they seem to be solitary birds, at least while they were here.

6Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 10:11 pm

2seaoat

I do not know if they will repeat the show, but it was very good on discussing their migratory patterns and how they will return to a garden year after year, and that they can live to be 12 years old.   They adjust their migration by available resources.....I think these feeders have really expanded their choices.   An amazing creature.

My wife always tells the story of my son at 2 in the yard playing when a humming bird tried to land on his ears......he had big red ears and the bird was zeroing in on his ears like they were a flower.  He was swatting away, but they are so amazing on their flight patterns and on this day that humming bird thought the jackpot was my son's ears.

7Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 10:13 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:I do not know if they will repeat the show, but it was very good on discussing their migratory patterns and how they will return to a garden year after year, and that they can live to be 12 years old.   They adjust their migration by available resources.....I think these feeders have really expanded their choices.   An amazing creature.

My wife always tells the story of my son at 2 in the yard playing when a humming bird tried to land on his ears......he had big red ears and the bird was zeroing in on his ears like they were a flower.  He was swatting away, but they are so amazing on their flight patterns and on this day that humming bird thought the jackpot was my son's ears.
That is such a cute story...wouldn't you love to have gotten  it on video?

8Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 10:17 pm

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:That's interesting.  We had a hummingbird feeder outside our kitchen window last summer.  I love watching them.  

Now the fireflies are out.  They were late coming this year.  But just the last few evenings, they've finally shown up. Smile

I miss fireflies. 

We used to call 'em lightning bugs. 

9Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 10:22 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:
Nekochan wrote:That's interesting.  We had a hummingbird feeder outside our kitchen window last summer.  I love watching them.  

I miss fireflies. 

You know, I had not really ever seen them until we moved here.  I have been told that they were on my parents' property when I was growing up, but I don't remember them.  It makes sense, because my parents had a decent sized piece of property with a natural pond and lots of ground cover, trees, etc.  But then they built a house up closer to the road and further from the pond and brush when I was only 3 or so and I just don't remember seeing them in the yard.  But they are all over our yard here.  I love going outside in the evening and watching them.

10Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 10:43 pm

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:
Sal wrote:

I miss fireflies. 

You know, I had not really ever seen them until we moved here.  I have been told that they were on my parents' property when I was growing up, but I don't remember them.  It makes sense, because my parents had a decent sized piece of property with a natural pond and lots of ground cover, trees, etc.  But then they built a house up closer to the road and further from the pond and brush when I was only 3 or so and I just don't remember seeing them in the yard.  But they are all over our yard here.  I love going outside in the evening and watching them.

One of my fondest memories with my son is running around the yard catching lightning bugs in a Mason jar with nail holes punched in the top, and then putting the jar in his bedroom so he cold fall asleep to their glow.

My dad did the same thing with me when I was little. 

11Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 10:44 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Sal wrote:

I miss fireflies. 

One of my fondest memories with my son is running around the yard catching lightning bugs in a Mason jar with nail holes punched in the top, and then putting the jar in his bedroom so he cold fall asleep to their glow.

My dad did the same thing with me when I was little. 
Smile

12Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 10:52 pm

Sal

Sal

My sister and female cousins made "jewelry" from their glowing abdomens. 

That memory is not as pleasant. 

13Hummingbirds on Nature TV Empty Re: Hummingbirds on Nature TV 6/12/2013, 10:55 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum