Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban

+4
Joanimaroni
Markle
boards of FL
Sal
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 3:06 pm

Sal

Sal

They've got nothing better to do?

Seriously??

Stores selling certain hardware typically used for smoking marijuana have until July 1 to unload those items, reports the News Service of Florida.

Among about a dozen bills signed Wednesday by Gov. Rick Scott was the “bong ban” bill (HB 49), which prohibits the sale of metal, wooden, acrylic, glass, stone, plastic, or ceramic smoking pipes, chillums or bongs. The bill allowed pipes to continue to be sold that are primarily made of briar, meerschaum, clay or corn cob, which are typically used to smoke tobacco.

The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Darryl Rouson has said the bill wouldn’t eradicate pot smoking, but “we’re going to stop making it convenient.”

Because there's nothing quite as convenient as a giant water bong.

The original bill also included a surtax on the sale of paraphernalia, a provision that went up in smoke in the no-tax Legislature.

http://www.saintpetersblog.com/scott-signs-rousons-bong-ban-into-law

2Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 3:41 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Sal wrote:They've got nothing better to do?

Seriously??

Stores selling certain hardware typically used for smoking marijuana have until July 1 to unload those items, reports the News Service of Florida.

Among about a dozen bills signed Wednesday by Gov. Rick Scott was the “bong ban” bill (HB 49), which prohibits the sale of metal, wooden, acrylic, glass, stone, plastic, or ceramic smoking pipes, chillums or bongs. The bill allowed pipes to continue to be sold that are primarily made of briar, meerschaum, clay or corn cob, which are typically used to smoke tobacco.

The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Darryl Rouson has said the bill wouldn’t eradicate pot smoking, but “we’re going to stop making it convenient.”

The original bill also included a surtax on the sale of paraphernalia, a provision that went up in smoke in the no-tax Legislature.

People in Florida will still continue to spend money on these accessories, only after July 1st that money will go to an online supplier rather than a Florida business. Brilliant!

3Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 3:46 pm

Markle

Markle

Seriously??

Who cares?

4Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 3:47 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:

Seriously??

People in Florida will still continue to spend money on these accessories, only after July 1st that money will go to an online supplier rather than a Florida business. Brilliant!

What reputable businesses sell bongs?

5Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 3:49 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Seriously??

I guess it depends on how you define "reputable". Most tattoo shops or smoke shops sell many of the products that are being banned. I even see them at gas stations from time to time.

6Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 3:51 pm

Sal

Sal

I was at a Grateful Dead concert one time, and a group of hippies a few rows in front of us were smoking a good sized water bong.

A group of three cops accosted them, and they somehow concealed the bong and the cops couldn't find it.

After the cops departed, they got it back out and continued smoking it.

I still can't figure out where they hid it.

It was like a magic trick.

7Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 3:52 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Seriously??

I guess it depends on how you define "reputable". Most tattoo shops or smoke shops sell many of the products that are being banned. I even see them at gas stations from time to time.

Poor gas station owners....first they ban spice now they are banning the bongs to use with spice.

8Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:00 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Seriously??

Poor gas station owners....first they ban spice now they are banning the bongs to use with spice.

The bill's sponsor concedes that this bill isn't going to eradicate pot smoking, so what we effectively have here is a bill that basically shifts supply of the smoking products in question from Florida business to online retailers. Absolutely no one wins here. Florida businesses lose revenue, the state government loses revenue, no real effect is achieved relative to the bill's underlying intent, and Florida republicans once again look stupid.

9Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:05 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

I doubt it matters to most people except drug users.

10Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:08 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:I doubt it matters to most people except drug users.

Why would it matter to drug users? They will just buy this stuff online. It matters to the Florida businesses that sell the stuff.

11Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:15 pm

Sal

Sal

When I was in college, one of my roommates had what was called a steamroller pipe.

It was essentially a plexiglass tube with a bowl on the top at one end.

You put your hand over one end of the tube, lit the bowl, sucked on the other end until the tube filled with smoke, then released your hand from the end, and you'd get a huge hit.

It would get you stoned, but Jebus it was harsh on the lungs.

I couldn't handle it.

lol

12Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:16 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:

Why would it matter to drug users? They will just buy this stuff online. It matters to the Florida businesses that sell the stuff.

OK then, I don't think most people care about the businesses that sell the stuff.
But if you have to order it, then you have to have a credit card and you have to wait for it to come in the mail or by UPS.

13Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:17 pm

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:

But if you have to order it, then you have to have a credit card and you have to wait for it to come in the mail or by UPS.

And, the NSA is watching you.

BOO!

14Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:18 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I agree. I have never smoked marijuana.

In 1978 at MCAS Tustin, I busted some enlisted Marines from my squadron who were smoking marijuana in the barracks. In 1980, I helped set up a drug buy at Camp Pendleton, and a Private who was selling in the barracks to Marines in the unit I was serving in wound up getting busted by NIS--He got 15-years at Fort Leavenworth.

Recreational drug-use was not compatible with that era of my life.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

15Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:20 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I don't know why anyone would pay the astronomical prices for pipes in head shops. Not when all you need do is take a plastic bottle and screw a bowl onto it.
Ever looked at Rick Scott's eyes? He's gotta be high on something.

16Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:21 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

And, the NSA is watching you.

BOO!

LOL, I wasn't even thinking that way. I guess I was thinking that most dumbass 16 year olds might not have a credit card and they're not great on patience either.

17Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:24 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

And if you order something, then it has to be delivered to a house. And mommy might be home.

18Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:24 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:OK then, I don't think most people care about the businesses that sell the stuff.

Good point. Navigating to a website and placing an order that will ultimately be delivered to your front door is much less convenient than getting in your car and driving somewhere to make a purchase. This is probably why they charge you extra if you want to pick your pizza up at the store, but provide delivery for free. This is also why Best Buy is killing it and no one buys electronics online. I get it now.

19Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:27 pm

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:And if you order something, then it has to be delivered to a house. And mommy might be home.

If you're living at home with mommy, a bong is probably not your best bet.

They're smelly and hard to conceal.

20Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:27 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

I don't know if having it delivered to their home is high on the list of a lot of drug users, at least young ones.

21Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:29 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

The bottom line is that this bill closes businesses. Nothing more.

22Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:31 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:
Nekochan wrote:And if you order something, then it has to be delivered to a house. And mommy might be home.

I'm getting an education on bongs. Thanks. Wink
Really, I had in mind mostly younger people buying them. And hiding them under their bed or whatever.
For the old hippies, they'll just have to order online now.

23Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:32 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Let's go back a minute--what pizza place charges extra for pick up? I have never seen that.

Anyway, mommy probably isn't that worried about the box from Pizza Hut or the box from Best Buy.

Last edited by Nekochan on 6/7/2013, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

24Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:32 pm

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:
Sal wrote:

I'm getting an education on bongs. Thanks. Wink
Really, I had in mind mostly younger people buying them. And hiding them under their bed or whatever.
For the old hippies, they'll just have to order online now.

I think you're overestimating the number of teenage marijuana users.

75% of marijuana users are 25 or older.

25Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban Empty Re: Rick Scott Signs Bong Ban 6/7/2013, 4:33 pm

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:Let's go back a minute--what pizza place charges extra for pick up? I have never seen that.

That object sailing over your head is sarcasm.

Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum