Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Five myths about obamacare. What say you?

+4
Joanimaroni
TEOTWAWKI
Slicef18
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

reaper1948 wrote:

Explain how this will put small business owners out of business since they are exempt? If anything they will not have to offer group insurance, most small business owner employee's will qualify for some sort of subsidy, the employer can throw in a hundred or so a month and save a bundle over a years time and could hire more employees. If the small business owner felt some sort of obligation to carry group insurance he would then receive a tax credit, which by the way he could have received his tax credit starting last year. I cannot see it putting any small businesses out of biz.

Anyone reading this (either pro obamacare or con) should know that the person writing the above post is someone who has spent a career on the inside of the health insurance biz. This is not like listening to some cable tv blowhard or some blowhard partisan politician or some newspaper editorialist blowhard. This is the information you need to pay attention to.

ButtMan wrote:
reaper1948 wrote:

Explain how this will put small business owners out of business since they are exempt? If anything they will not have to offer group insurance, most small business owner employee's will qualify for some sort of subsidy, the employer can throw in a hundred or so a month and save a bundle over a years time and could hire more employees. If the small business owner felt some sort of obligation to carry group insurance he would then receive a tax credit, which by the way he could have received his tax credit starting last year. I cannot see it putting any small businesses out of biz.

Anyone reading this (either pro obamacare or con) should know that the person writing the above post is someone who has spent a career on the inside of the health insurance biz. This is not like listening to some cable tv blowhard or some blowhard partisan politician or some newspaper editorialist blowhard. This is the information you need to pay attention to.

Thanks Bob, but this is just my opinion and what I would do if I owned a biz under 50. I had an 18 employee group a few years ago and that had a $144,000 premium annually. They were developers and finally went out of biz.

But if this had been 2014 they could have dropped their group health and gave everyone around $200 per month towards their health insurance and the ones that would have received a subsidy would have pretty well off in the health insurance department. This $200 per month would have cost him just $43,200 annual vs $144,000. So this is a no brainer in my opinion.

ButtMan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:All of that garbage is a lie. You all should really verify your information before posting it.Why do you all get sucked it to that?
This is the proof. Everything she wants to believe is true and everything she doesn't want to be believe is a lie.
No, everything I believe is checked by factcheck.org.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dreamsglore wrote:
ButtMan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:All of that garbage is a lie. You all should really verify your information before posting it.Why do you all get sucked it to that?
This is the proof. Everything she wants to believe is true and everything she doesn't want to be believe is a lie.
merkel believes every opinion he has is fact too.

ButtMan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
ButtMan wrote:
merkel believes every opinion he has is fact too.

Can't you read, Bob? I said my opinions are based upon factcheck.org.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dreamsglore wrote:

Can't you read, Bob? I said my opinions are based upon factcheck.org.
Well now that's as interesting as all hell. Because when I read this....

http://factcheck.org/2012/06/romney-obama-uphold-health-care-falsehoods/

... I can't help but think about how you and Ed Schultz never say a word about the Obama part. And how merkle and Sean hannity never said a word about the Romney part. lol

Slicef18

Slicef18

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well I think it's great to add millions more people and NO more doctors...that will insure that a lot of Docs will quit ...maybe gut the whole system..which then will save lives . Then Obama can take credit for getting rid of death by Doctors.

The guest this morning on WCOA radio was Michael S. Oleksyk, MD Vice President of Medical Affairs and Chief Medical Officer Baptist Hospital Pensacola. Radio personality and show host Jim Sanborn interviewed Dr. Oleksyk, asking questions that were obviously designed to solicit an anti- Obamacare answer. One such statement and question was in the vein of "If Obamacare isn't repealed people will stop becoming doctors" Dr Oleksyk replied, "Actually we have more people studying to become doctors than we've ever had before."

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Slicef18 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well I think it's great to add millions more people and NO more doctors...that will insure that a lot of Docs will quit ...maybe gut the whole system..which then will save lives . Then Obama can take credit for getting rid of death by Doctors.

The guest this morning on WCOA radio was Michael S. Oleksyk, MD Vice President of Medical Affairs and Chief Medical Officer Baptist Hospital Pensacola. Radio personality and show host Jim Sanborn interviewed Dr. Oleksyk, asking questions that were obviously designed to solicit an anti- Obamacare answer. One such statement and question was in the vein of "If Obamacare isn't repealed people will stop becoming doctors" Dr Oleksyk replied, "Actually we have more people studying to become doctors than we've ever had before."
Oleksyk was my primary physician for 15 years. Did Sanborn ask him why he quit his practice to go into hospital administration? I did.

Slicef18 wrote:

From a technical standpoint he is correct, however what he did the spin on is that many more prospective and current physicians are electing not to enter the primary care field, instead opting for specialties that pay more. This PCP gap hurts the population long term because it eliminates the front lines of preventive care.

nochain wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:

Why is it a 'lie' when healthcare professionals don't like this...economists don't like this...and politicians are running away from the issue while running for re-election...When the COWH says it's not a tax and yet the end result will be an increased cost...what does it matter what it's called... it hits the working middle class in the wallet...reminds of when the push was on not to call taxes..taxes...but rather contibutions...well it looks like the middle class will be volunteered for higher contributions...

From a technical standpoint he is correct, however what he did the spin on is that many more prospective and current physicians are electing not to enter the primary care field, instead opting for specialties that pay more. This PCP gap hurts the population long term because it eliminates the front lines of preventive care.

Slicef18

Slicef18

ButtMan wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:

Oleksyk was my primary physician for 15 years. Did Sanborn ask him why he quit his practice to go into hospital administration? I did.

Sanborn did not ask that question but Dr. Oleksyk did say all the continuing changes congress makes to medicare and healthcare in general plus the reams of paperwork the insurance companies want is frustrating, plus it causes additional personnel just to keep up with the paperwork. However hospitals are hiring doctors as hospitalists which are salaried employees of the hospital. The advantage to the doctors is they become once more caregivers of patients and the hospitals take care of the paperwork. I see that trend continuing as we go forward.

Slicef18

Slicef18

Newsfan wrote:
nochain wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:

Why is it a 'lie' when healthcare professionals don't like this...economists don't like this...and politicians are running away from the issue while running for re-election...When the COWH says it's not a tax and yet the end result will be an increased cost...what does it matter what it's called... it hits the working middle class in the wallet...reminds of when the push was on not to call taxes..taxes...but rather contibutions...well it looks like the middle class will be volunteered for higher contributions...

If the traditional model of healthcare were to continue that would be true. However there are changes to providing healthcare that do not require a full physician service. Most of the patients doctors see are for flue, allergies, runny noses, rashes, scratches, cuts and bruises and do not require four years of college, four years of medical school, and two years of residency or fellowship. America is gearing up to have many more care givers such as P. A.'s and Nurse Practitioners who are trained to care for the primary patient need. They can order medications and with the digital world of today, they will have instant access to any physician specialty needed.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I switched from the expensive doctors to a P.A. for my first contact physician. His clinic charges me fifty bucks for an office visit. It's actually more cost effective for me to use that even when it's a no insurance involvement situation and I cannot apply that fifty bucks to my insurance deductible.

Slicef18

Slicef18

ButtMan wrote:I switched from the expensive doctors to a P.A. for my first contact physician. His clinic charges me fifty bucks for an office visit. It's actually more cost effective for me to use that even when it's a no insurance involvement situation and I cannot apply that fifty bucks to my insurance deductible.

In many ways a P.A. or Nurse Practitioner is a better first-line healthcare provider than a full M.D. I've found their personalities are more conducive to giving primary care and they are usually better communicators with the patient.
Something that's never talked about outside academia is the social deprivation that almost all M.D.'s and to some extent D.O.'s experience. Unless having an alma-mater relationship path, to med school, the amount of time necessary dedicated to preparing to become a doctor is very demanding. One must not only be an over-achiever academically, school sanctioned extra-circular participation is required for consideration to med school. When in med-school the student virtually lives with their core group of fellow students. All these factors result in med-students not having the social experiences other people develop.

Slicef18 wrote:All these factors result in med-students not having the social experiences other people develop.

I have a B.S. in Biology, was a Health Inspector, and an EMT. While I was an EMT, due to undiagnosed high blood pressure, I had a blood vessel pop in my lung and I was coughing up double handfuls of bright red blood. I had pneumonia several times previously and KNOW what it is like to have fluid in my lungs.

I was telling the doctors about the blood coming from my lungs and several doctors said I had a nosebleed. When I repeated that it was in my lungs, one jerk doctor even said in a sneering manner: "When are you going to hang out your shingle?" What an asshole!

Like the saying in the old "Welcome back Kotter" series, they went up my nose with a rubber hose, then proceeded down into my lung and found the now-clotted leak. The internist (a good guy) said he was glad I had a hose in my vocal cords because I couldn't say "I told you so". Surprised

Slicef18

Slicef18

Yomama wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:All these factors result in med-students not having the social experiences other people develop.

I have a B.S. in Biology, was a Health Inspector, and an EMT. While I was an EMT, due to undiagnosed high blood pressure, I had a blood vessel pop in my lung and I was coughing up double handfuls of bright red blood. I had pneumonia several times previously and KNOW what it is like to have fluid in my lungs.

I was telling the doctors about the blood coming from my lungs and several doctors said I had a nosebleed. When I repeated that it was in my lungs, one jerk doctor even said in a sneering manner: "When are you going to hang out your shingle?" What an asshole!

Like the saying in the old "Welcome back Kotter" series, they went up my nose with a rubber hose, then proceeded down into my lung and found the now-clotted leak. The internist (a good guy) said he was glad I had a hose in my vocal cords because I couldn't say "I told you so". Surprised

I'm not surprised. The surgery suite is a virtual well of comments and language that would not be acceptable out in society.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Slicef18 wrote:
ButtMan wrote:

In many ways a P.A. or Nurse Practitioner is a better first-line healthcare provider than a full M.D. I've found their personalities are more conducive to giving primary care and they are usually better communicators with the patient.
Somethin
That was exactly what I experienced for the first time a few week's ago.
ALL the high priced primary doctors I've used had the bad habit when answering my questions of slowly walking backwards toward the door of the exmination room sending me the signal "hurry up and get your questions asked so I can get the hell out of here".
The P.A. spent all the time with me I needed.
For that he charged me 50 bucks. And the backwards walking "doctors" charged me between $125 and $200.

This is why I've suggested in several threads that I would like to see Walmart and Target, etc. get into the primary first contact healthcare business. That would go a long way toward starting to get the costs down.
Walmart actually did a test program on this in South Florida a while back but I don't know what the result of it was.

no stress

no stress

My dad of 72 years was going to his primary care physician complaining of acid reflux pain and weight loss for over a year. All the doc would do is change his reflux meds. About 3 months ago my mom put her foot down and they went to a different doctor. Diagnosis , stomach cancer. We lost him last month. I miss my dad everyday.

Gunz wrote:My dad... We lost him last month. I miss my dad everyday.

My condolences, Gunz. I hope he didn't have to suffer much.

Yella

Yella

Gunz wrote:My dad of 72 years was going to his primary care physician complaining of acid reflux pain and weight loss for over a year. All the doc would do is change his reflux meds. About 3 months ago my mom put her foot down and they went to a different doctor. Diagnosis , stomach cancer. We lost him last month. I miss my dad everyday.

Sorry, Gunz. I like to think that what goes out comes back.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Slicef18

Slicef18

Gunz wrote:My dad of 72 years was going to his primary care physician complaining of acid reflux pain and weight loss for over a year. All the doc would do is change his reflux meds. About 3 months ago my mom put her foot down and they went to a different doctor. Diagnosis , stomach cancer. We lost him last month. I miss my dad everyday.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Don't rush the healing process as you find a place to keep him in your life. Then you will enjoy him again.

50% of the doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class. TRUE

Last edited by Slicef18 on 7/20/2012, 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Slicef18

Slicef18

ButtMan wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:
ButtMan wrote:

Somethin
ALL the high priced primary doctors I've used had the bad habit when answering my questions of slowly walking backwards toward the door of the exmination room sending me the signal "hurry up and get your questions asked so I can get the hell out of here".
For that he charged me 50 bucks. And the backwards walking "doctors" charged me between $125 and $200.

This is why I've suggested in several threads that I would like to see Walmart and Target, etc. get into the primary first contact healthcare business. That would go a long way toward starting to get the costs down.
Walmart actually did a test program on this in South Florida a while back but I don't know what the result of it was.

Excellent Idea. I expect once WalMart finds a way to make a profit they will move in that direction just as they have with tax preparation and eye exams and eye ware sales. But first the dust from obamacare will need to settle.

Last edited by Slicef18 on 7/20/2012, 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Slicef18

Slicef18

ButtMan wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:
ButtMan wrote:

Somethin

For anyone who doesn't know, P.A. is Physician Assistant

49Five myths about obamacare.  What say you? - Page 2 Empty doc in box 7/20/2012, 10:40 am

Some CVS's in this area are opening in store clinics. The one in GB is set to open pretty soon.

Well HHS is breaking down page by page of the law and finally distributing out to major insurers on how this whole thing is going to work. First off if any of you are going to be at least 65 on Jan 1, 2014 you can breathe a big sigh of relief you won't be subject of what's coming. None of what I've learned is in fact or myth, it is how HHS is making insurer administer the whole program.
The ones between 100 -200% of poverty level at first are going to make out like bandits on their health insurance premiums, the rest are going to be basically screwed.

I also have to eat my words of about a year and half ago when I said and went along with most of you could keep the plan you were on just like Obama said. The percentages are leaning against that fallacy, even you bought your health insurance plan after 3/23/2010 and they were health care compliant at that time and when we told you grandfathered plans were here to stay. NOPE not all. But then again your agent was just advising you on the communications at that time filtering down from HHS.

Florida will have an exchange but it will be facilitated by the Feds since Scott doesn't want a Florida run exchange.

When you sign up for insurance you will have to make your tax returns available to the insurance agent (if you want the subsidy) thru a tool that your agent will be using thru the insurance company you're signing up with. If you don't want the subsidy, no problem you don't have to let your agent see them online.

This will work a little bit like drawing social security. In other words if you sign up for the effective date of your policy Jan 1, 2014 and you qualified for subsidy from your 2012 tax return and in 2015 when your tax return is checked for 2013 and your income went up, well guess what? You have to pay back some of your subsidy for the year you received it. I would imagine it will just be reduced to nothing the next year.

There will be open enrollments like the Medicare Advantage is now and if it's not enough now for us to do it's going to be the same months as Med Advantage, except the first time which will run from Oct 2013 thru March 31, 2014.

Is everyone's mind boggled now? Mine certainly was and all these little things will be released slowly to us, so we can digest before Oct 2013.

If the general population would have really known how this will work I bet 90% would have been against this legislation instead of 60%.

This will be the biggest cluster fu you've ever seen.

Oh, you'll be fine if you are not doing anything with the subsidy except you may have to change your plan to be compliant with the max out of pockets set by the government.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum