Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oral Arguments in the Supremes....gay marriage

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

2seaoat

Ted Olson is a heavyweight on the pro gay marriage argument.....these are some heavy hitters. The anti marriage folks have a tough opponent......Ted Olson has a proven track record. It will be interesting, but my prediction is that as powerful as the arguments are to allow gay marriage......I question whether the Supremes will rule on this .....they will put this back into the political realm, not the fundamental right realm of the current argument.....I may be wrong because Olson is brilliant, but this really is a political question and the nation is in fact changing without making sexual orientation as a fundamental right which can become very dangerous as a theoretical framework, and without making arguments of the preverse, I think the equal protection argument may not be as strong as some suggest in the mass media.

wager? conservatives come out in favor?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-prop.8-chief-justices-cousin-a-lesbian-will-attend-prop-8-hearing-20130324,0,834185.story

Chrissy wrote:wager? conservatives come out in favor?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-prop.8-chief-justices-cousin-a-lesbian-will-attend-prop-8-hearing-20130324,0,834185.story

Roberts and Co are all wildcards. There is no telling.

2seaoat

wager? conservatives come out in favor?

There are many ways to skin a cat. First, you can gain total marriage rights by legislative action. Second, you can seek to have the court declare marriage a fundamental right of association of free people, and any combination should be allowed with only compelling state interests requiring restrictions. This means something more than a rational basis for a classification system. So exactly what is the financial impact of expanding the traditional classifications of marriage? How will it impact retirement benefits, if any two people without regard to the central purpose of marriage which is argued should be to establish a foundation for raising children and create stable environment for the same can be married as a fundamental right.

I think that the court may argue that the institution of marriage is a legislatively created institution, and to bootstrap fundamental rights to this legislative creation is premature. I think there are numerous roadblocks to an equal protection approach to creating the right of marriage between any person when this type of classification is best suited for legislative remedy, and the right to marry someone is not a fundamental right, but one that the state imposes with restrictions to age, and other classification systems which do not deny a fundamental right. So if a State said Catholics cannot marry......this is well settled, and clearly an unlawful distinction as was the miscegenation marriage laws.......but to say that a 12 year old girl cannot marry a 40 year old man, or that a man cannot marry a man......well those are legislative classifications which must have a rational basis.......which does not require a compelling state interest to create the classification and with that lower standard......the supremes in my opinion are going to suggest this issue is better resolved by legislative cures.

2seaoat wrote:Ted Olson is a heavyweight on the pro gay marriage argument.....these are some heavy hitters. The anti marriage folks have a tough opponent......Ted Olson has a proven track record. It will be interesting, but my prediction is that as powerful as the arguments are to allow gay marriage......I question whether the Supremes will rule on this .....they will put this back into the political realm, not the fundamental right realm of the current argument.....I may be wrong because Olson is brilliant, but this really is a political question and the nation is in fact changing without making sexual orientation as a fundamental right which can become very dangerous as a theoretical framework, and without making arguments of the preverse, I think the equal protection argument may not be as strong as some suggest in the mass media.

Oral Arguments in the Supremes....gay marriage Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv2KbHjmloc9qCSQkoJ4_a1g2pUw9AqzqwQY0SLiMcFDSFtXi-

Which arguments might those be?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBmLViALjhk

Very Happy

Oral Arguments in the Supremes....gay marriage Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi1Q9JjeywKFIelUAfTRuwROj-Vk77K-pgADESajTIgSipazvnmA

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUnqbBgYZmI

Cool

Sal

Sal

"But you want us to step in and render a decision based on an assessment of the effects of this institution which is newer than cell phones or the Internet? I mean we — we are not — we do not have the ability to see the future."
- Alito

WTF is he talking about?

I guess he means that the concept of gay marriage is newer than cell phones, though that's a rather odd way to frame it.

And, why does he make it sound as though the court is being asked to approve of gay marriage?

The issue before the court is the constitutionality of laws restricting access to marriage for homosexual couples.

He appeared to be troubled about the Court entering “uncharted waters,” on the core issue of who may marry, but at the same time, he also did not look comfortable with any of the other, more limited options. So he openly wondered why the Court had agreed even to hear this case.
- Kennedy

Umm, does Loving v. Virginia ring any bells?

Sheesh.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Gay marriage is just damn silly. Not even truly possible considering they can't procreate.

Trying to act like it is comparable to the Civil Rights movement is pure BS. Gays are accepted now more than any time in history, but apparently that isn't enough for the colorful little activists. I'm okay with some sort of civil union, but not marriage. That is between a man and woman, only.

The constitution and justice would see no differentiation. Deeming anothers actions and choices that cause no harm to others illegal or forbidden is progressive evil and tyranny. Stop treading on each other.

Oral Arguments in the Supremes....gay marriage
REALLY? You had to title it with these words?

Damaged Eagle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Ted Olson is a heavyweight on the pro gay marriage argument.....these are some heavy hitters. The anti marriage folks have a tough opponent......Ted Olson has a proven track record. It will be interesting, but my prediction is that as powerful as the arguments are to allow gay marriage......I question whether the Supremes will rule on this .....they will put this back into the political realm, not the fundamental right realm of the current argument.....I may be wrong because Olson is brilliant, but this really is a political question and the nation is in fact changing without making sexual orientation as a fundamental right which can become very dangerous as a theoretical framework, and without making arguments of the preverse, I think the equal protection argument may not be as strong as some suggest in the mass media.

Which arguments might those be?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBmLViALjhk

Very Happy

Oral Arguments in the Supremes....gay marriage Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs3SQ3apOcoHRduoaFStFoZG4aVF92Jo8LeR_mChaBO_CDduhh

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HmJQyS8QVw

Smile

PkrBum wrote:The constitution and justice would see no differentiation. Deeming anothers actions and choices that cause no harm to others illegal or forbidden is progressive evil and tyranny. Stop treading on each other.

Oral Arguments in the Supremes....gay marriage Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_KQ1H9oj_8I7rhjFOpfe9p6nQuauDBEyD_R0TmvxIKZCdptOo

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIHny7QEf7o

Smile

Sal

Sal

Oral Arguments in the Supremes....gay marriage Tt130310

VectorMan

VectorMan

The liberal media is playing up this gay marriage crap as much as possible. It's just a distraction from things that are way more important, like the economy and jobs. Same thing with the gun control BS. Just another distraction to be maneuvered through their every ready smoke and mirrors.

I know I don't need a piece of paper that turns my boyfriend into my husband. It's just ridiculous. I hope it crashes and burns!

VectorMan wrote:The liberal media is playing up this gay marriage crap as much as possible. It's just a distraction from things that are way more important, like the economy and jobs. Same thing with the gun control BS. Just another distraction to be maneuvered through their every ready smoke and mirrors.

I know I don't need a piece of paper that turns my boyfriend into my husband. It's just ridiculous. I hope it crashes and burns!

I agree.

I would prefer there were no benefit (tax... etc, excluding medical decisions, inheritance) to marriage of any kind.

VectorMan wrote:Gay marriage is just damn silly. Not even truly possible considering they can't procreate.

Trying to act like it is comparable to the Civil Rights movement is pure BS. Gays are accepted now more than any time in history, but apparently that isn't enough for the colorful little activists. I'm okay with some sort of civil union, but not marriage. That is between a man and woman, only.

You apparently don't have a fiancee".

VectorMan wrote:The liberal media is playing up this gay marriage crap as much as possible. It's just a distraction from things that are way more important, like the economy and jobs. Same thing with the gun control BS. Just another distraction to be maneuvered through their every ready smoke and mirrors.

That's you. Other people would like to leave property to their loved one's w/o having to pay taxes,get medical care and benefits,etc.

Chrissy wrote:

I agree.

I wonder how your GF feels about that since she doesn't work and won't get jack? Sure you can leave her an insurance policy but I'll bet she doesn't have medical care.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

I agree.

I wonder how your GF feels about that since she doesn't work and won't get jack? Sure you can leave her an insurance policy but I'll bet she doesn't have medical care.

I thought those relationships were none of our business? Mind your own then!

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

I agree.

Nope. I'm free to express my opinion on any subject I like including gay marriage and those who would deem to deny others.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Dreamsglore wrote:
VectorMan wrote:Gay marriage is just damn silly. Not even truly possible considering they can't procreate.

Nope.

I've been in a committed relationship for almost 10 years.

If you know what you're doing, you can leave you significant other everything without being raked over the coals by the corrupt government you worship. It's not rocket science.

VectorMan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Nope.

I've been in a committed relationship for almost 10 years.

If you know what you're doing, you can leave you significant other everything without being raked over the coals by the corrupt government you worship. It's not rocket science.

That's awesome....good for you and your partner. As one of my friends said, "...that's like a lifetime in gay years...". LOL.

I am also opposed to gay marriage, but it's none of MY business. That is not to say I don't support equal access and equal protection for partner benefits, etc.....which should be de facto accepted and recognized by the gub'mint.

I give you some grief now and then by using a vulgar reference to your lifestyle. It's always rhetorical, and does not reflect my true feelings. I believe you know that, but I felt the need to make it clear. I don't like your politics....your sexual orientation has nothing to do with feelings toward you in any way, shape, or fashion.

Have a great day dude.

Sal wrote:Oral Arguments in the Supremes....gay marriage Tt130310

Yes!... The line reads 'Liberty and justice for all', including all mature willing companions.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHkBv-AtKDA

Cool

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 3/28/2013, 10:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dreamsglore wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

I agree.

Nope. I'm free to express my opinion on any subject I like including gay marriage and those who would deem to deny others.

Oral Arguments in the Supremes....gay marriage Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz8s4xUVVRERDGVILmf717HsNbQbBWlZb6qW_E8QuesglR1qM0xQ

Yet in turn you refuse to grant other mature willing companions the same rights instead of accepting them all into your heart and joining...

******CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhGMmmd9Ixs

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum