Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Palafox Pier Then and Now

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Palafox Pier Then and Now Empty Palafox Pier Then and Now 3/6/2013, 12:04 am

Here is a great photo of Pensacola before everyone came and helped us improve it. This was before the city gave away the land where Port Royal is now. On the left was a large ice house, machine shop, Marine supply store. On the right is a ship unloading mahogany logs. They rafted them together and took them down to Bayou Chico Weis Fricker saw mill. Notice how much room the public had around the auditorium. Tied up on the pier is also the 2 charter boats. The Gulf tide and Gulf wind, I think. Lots of work, pretty good jobs and it was a great place for the average person to be, Also look at the rail cars, but that was before people bitched about the trains.

Palafox Pier Then and Now BayfrontAuditoriumAerial

Now Look how they "Improved it." They filled in the damn water front to make a parking lot. Now the area is full of Wine shops, office buildings and parking lota, not ot mention a place for people to show case their yachts. To some it maybe much better but not for the majority of the citizens.
http://pbgfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/palafox.jpgPalafox Pier Then and Now Palafox

2Palafox Pier Then and Now Empty Re: Palafox Pier Then and Now 3/6/2013, 1:46 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

You are making me so sad. There were houses where Gulf Power put their executive offices...there should have been a comprehensive plan for the whole waterfront. Instead, the forces that be always bow to the highest bidder, whether it benefits the people or not.

3Palafox Pier Then and Now Empty Re: Palafox Pier Then and Now 3/6/2013, 4:22 pm

Gulf Power pays TAXES on the land they use. The homes you mentioned were low income housing

...and I am glad we've moved away from the 1950s era in downtown Pcola. The Bayfront Auditorium was a rathole, hurricane magnet that couldn't be continued as a viable meeting place. We're still not even in the 21st century yet, but we are at least moving in that direction.

I'd love to see the Navy do a landswap in Santa Rosa County with the landing field (SPENCER FIELD) just the block up from Pace High School. That square mile of "potential" could be turned into a economic goldmine if a mall/commercial area was built there. SRC would benefit by keeping their tax money in county and leaving you dimwits to flounder in the 1950s where you think times were so pleasant.

4Palafox Pier Then and Now Empty Re: Palafox Pier Then and Now 3/6/2013, 4:38 pm

Jake92

The navy let some land on Blue Angel go and all they have heard since then is bitching that the planes make too much noise. If you don't want to listen to the planes, don't buy a house by an air port. If you don't want to hear race cars, don't buy land close to a race track.

5Palafox Pier Then and Now Empty Re: Palafox Pier Then and Now 3/6/2013, 4:49 pm

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Gulf Power pays TAXES on the land they use. The homes you mentioned were low income housing

...and I am glad we've moved away from the 1950s era in downtown Pcola. The Bayfront Auditorium was a rathole, hurricane magnet that couldn't be continued as a viable meeting place. We're still not even in the 21st century yet, but we are at least moving in that direction.

I'd love to see the Navy do a landswap in Santa Rosa County with the landing field (SPENCER FIELD) just the block up from Pace High School. That square mile of "potential" could be turned into a economic goldmine if a mall/commercial area was built there. SRC would benefit by keeping their tax money in county and leaving you dimwits to flounder in the 1950s where you think times were so pleasant.

Where did you live in the 50s or early 60s that things were so unpleasant for you? Mr dog?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum