Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A really good spaghetti sauce which is as easy to make as thawing a tv dinner.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Do not vary from this recipe. If you change anything about it you won't get the result I want you to get.

Cut two bell peppers (the larger the better) and one onion (white or yellow and the larger the better) into small pieces.

Combine that and 2 lbs of ground chuck in a large cooking pot (with lid).
Saute the meat and vegetables while occasionally stirring them until the meat is cooked (no more red in it) and continue cooking for a little longer. And when you're stirring this keep working on the meat with the stirring spoon to break it into small pieces.

Once the meat/vegatables have finished cooking, pour the liquid grease off the mixture. I put the lid on and hold it in place with a crack showing and pick up the pot and pour the grease into a container. But you can remove the liquid grease however you're accustomed to as long as you remove it.

Add two cans of Hunt's pasta sauce and the one with the "meat" flavor, not any of the others. And the good news is this pasta sauce is only a dollar a can at most groceries.
Add two small cans of diced tomatoes. cheap store brands are as good as anything. But DON'T use anything but plain diced tomatoes (don't use the ones with stuff added to them).

Bring the mixture to boiling and then back off the temperature to the point that it starts to slow cook just below the point of boiling.
Then let it simmer for at least an hour and a half with the lid on. And occasionally stir it while it's simmering.

Put it over your spaghetti noodles.

If you don't tell me this is one of the best spaghetti sauces you have ever eaten then I'll refund your money for the whole shebang.

p.s. If you really must add some garlic to the recipe go ahead. But I don't prefer it. There is just the right amount of garlic in those two cans of Hunts sauce to suit me.
p.p.s. this sauce is just as good reheated from the fridge or thawed and reheated from frozen.

Sounds good... I'll try it. But I'll prolly void your money back guarantee by adding fresh garlic. Love that stuff.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:Sounds good... I'll try it. But I'll prolly void your money back guarantee by adding fresh garlic. Love that stuff.

Let me know what you think.

And I'd be interested to try others' spaghetti sauce recipes if anyone wants to share them. Even the "from scratch" ones.

You have to put some sugar in the sauce to ward off the tart acidic taste of the tomatoes and add oregano, basil and garlic or you'll have a bland sauce when you dilute the already made sauce.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I might try that sometime, Bob. The only thing is that it sounds like a lot of meat in it. Hubby doesn't like a lot of meat in his spaghetti. I usually put either no meat in spaghetti or just a little ground beef.

My gf is itialian and she never puts meat in her sauce. This has always been a probem for me as I must have meat. So we devised a compromise. She makes these fabulous meatballs in the oven when she makes spagetti.

Now between you and me. I would totally make and eat this recipe, it sounds like my momma's cookin. yummy

I would so totally include th spoon breaking into small pieces if I was cooking it. lol!

Yella

Yella

PkrBum wrote:Sounds good... I'll try it. But I'll prolly void your money back guarantee by adding fresh garlic. Love that stuff.

Bob's Spaghetti Sauce! Yep, it's dang good stuff. The ol' boy has definitely made it a work of art. I add a lot of sauteed mushrooms to mine and enough garlic to give you wolf breath, not dog, but wolf. In fact, I often go out and howl at at the moon after a plate of my spaghetti. LOL

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I've experimented with it time and again. I've added garlic and the herbs dreams mentions and done it in many varying amounts.
But I made it sans extra garlic or herbs(with only what's in the canned sauce) day before yesterday and there was just something about the plain jane recipe that really got my taste buds going.
But I should add that I've never developed a taste for really spicy food. So there's no doubt I tend toward the more bland side.
And I understand what you mean by diluting that with the tomatoes, dreams. But I've tried using more sauce and less tomatoes but when I do my taste buds are telling me I just don't have the balance right. And that particular canned sauce adds just the right amount of seasonings for me.

There's no doubt this is an americanized spaghetti sauce. I developed a taste for the americanized version going back to my childhood. One particular school lunchroom made it like this and that hooked me for life.
But I have had to make it much less frequently. I no longer have any will power when it comes to spaghetti and I tend to eat it breakfast, lunch and dinner till it's gone. And that's definitely not a weight watchers diet.

bob im sending you a PM f food related

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy wrote:bob im sending you a PM f food related

Thanks, sweetness. I just replied to it.
I would have copied and pasted that recipe into a post but didn't want to do it without your approval. But you should. That's the kind of recipe that really sounds appealing to my taste buds.
And yes my taste buds do have ears. They can literally see, hear, smell and taste food. They can even read what's being said here. Sometimes they read stuff and interpret it for me. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum