Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

at first I was still in a state of shock and those don't make good witnesses.

+3
Joanimaroni
Sal
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

at first I was still in a state of shock and those don't make good witnesses.
after I got some canadian mist in me my brain was back to functioning normally again and I saw it clearly.
When my upper body threw forward,  pivoting on my stationery back legs (because I forgot to put on the bowling shoes),   I sort of instinctively spread my rear legs (to help keep my body from rolling when I bounce off the floor because a roll could break a shoulder and I don't need that on top of the other medical bills).
And then I caught myself in front with my outstretched arms and hands.
The injury (very minor) mainly happened to my thigh.  As I was coming down,  I snapped that son-of-bitch so hard I wrenched and sprained the shit out of it.

always put on the bowling shoes before you bowl.

The whole thing gives rise to a mystery though.

See none of you know how oily that bowling lane is because you've never
slid down it on your hands and belly.
Let me put it like this,  I saw women wrestlers at the florabama who were smothered in vegetable oil and even they aren't as oily as that bowling lane.

So here's the mystery,  and in my humble opinion a damn good one.
That ball is traveling over 50 feet through that oil,  AND YET,  when it comes back out the ball return,  it NEVER has any oil on it.
How that can happen is a mystery.  There is no way to clean that oil off that ball.  Since that's an impossibility,  why is the ball not oily?

Sal

Sal

A bowling injury??

Laughing Laughing Laughing

They have Nazis that clean the balls with a old towel before it goes in the return rack.  You are lucky Mr Felton did not see you step on his ally in street shoes. Just sayin..

Last edited by Mr Ichi on 11/19/2013, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yea I got distracted and got up to throw the ball without having put on the bowling shoes.
When this happens,  the soft soles on my street shoes grabbed the surface of the alley and the rest of me kept going forward.  Less than a second later I was horizontal on my belly and my hands and moving toward the pins.

But get this.  One of the reasons I wanted to start bowling to begin with was I wanted to try to experience the bowling alley scenes in Big Lebowski.
And today it actually happened.  I slid down the alley in real-life just like the real Dude did in that dream sequence in the movie.

Mr Ichi wrote:They have Nazis that clean the balls with a old towel before it goes in the return rack.  You are lucky Mr Felton did not see you step on his ally in street shoes. Just sayin..
lol! 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote:They have Nazis that clean the balls with a old towel before it goes in the return rack.  You are lucky Mr Felton did not see you step on his ally in street shoes. Just sayin..
I don't think Felton has nazis cleaning the balls but he does have a nazi behind the counter. I went in there last year and that redneck wouldn't honor the coupon from the restaurant coupon book. I told him to stuff his swastika up his ass and left.

No I bowl at Cordova Lanes.

I knew you would not adventure that far into the west side.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Did you get a strike?

I know they used to have Nazis but I think they now use Vietnamese Ninjas, much harder to see. 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote:I knew you would not adventure that far into the west side.
When I was a kid, going to Navy Point was like going to the next town.
McDonalds and Sandys on Pace was as far west as I usually went.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:Did you get a strike?
Both me and the ball ended up in the gutter short of the pins.
The worst of it was the injury to my pride. It was league day and when I picked myself up off the floor there must have been 50 pairs of eyes looking at me.

Sal

Sal

I thought a bowling injury was called a "hangover". 

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:I thought a bowling injury was called a "hangover". 

lol
That reminds me.  Check out this youtube.  It's when Oliver Reed was on Letterman and Letterman wants to know if it's true that one time Reed drank Lee Marvin under the table.  
Reed doesn't want to talk about it but after Letterman keeps prodding him he reveals at the end of the interview that he drank 106 pints of beer to win out over Marvin...

Sal wrote:I thought a bowling injury was called a "hangover". 

lol

That's excellent. I'm pretty sure prehistoric man set up bones and rolled rocks at them.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:at first I was still in a state of shock and those don't make good witnesses.
after I got some canadian mist in me my brain was back to functioning normally again and I saw it clearly.
When my upper body threw forward,  pivoting on my stationery back legs (because I forgot to put on the bowling shoes),   I sort of instinctively spread my rear legs (to help keep my body from rolling when I bounce off the floor because a roll could break a shoulder and I don't need that on top of the other medical bills).
The injury (very minor) mainly happened to my thigh.  As I was coming down,  I snapped that son-of-bitch so hard I wrenched and sprained the shit out of it.

Let me put it like this,  I saw women wrestlers at the florabama who were smothered in vegetable oil and even they aren't as oily as that bowling lane.

That ball is traveling over 50 feet through that oil,  AND YET,  when it comes back out the ball return,  it NEVER has any oil on it.
How that can happen is a mystery.  There is no way to clean that oil off that ball.  Since that's an impossibility,  why is the ball not oily?
Machines apply oil to the lanes as the machine moves down the lane cleaning and oiling. There are different amounts applied at different distances down the lane. Most near the foul line and 15 feet or so and least near the pins to allow the ball to "grip" more and curve or hook into the pins.

Also, the lane is hardwood or synthetic material. It is very hard as is the ball. Only a very miniscule part of the ball is in contact with the lane at any one instant. Very much unlike putting your whole hand on the lane.

If you look at the ball of an experienced bowler, using their own ball you will see a ring of wear around the ball of a varying diameter.

Frequently when practicing, I would use a small piece of masking tape in the middle of that ring to show how consistent I was delivering the ball. That is not legal during league or tournament play.

The only injury I ever got while bowling might have been a blister after rolling 100 or more games in a day. That would only happen if I was doing something wrong.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

What was your average at your peak, markle.

p.s. thanks for solving the mystery.

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:at first I was still in a state of shock and those don't make good witnesses.

Machines apply oil to the lanes as the machine moves down the lane cleaning and oiling. There are different amounts applied at different distances down the lane. Most near the foul line and 15 feet or so and least near the pins to allow the ball to "grip" more and curve or hook into the pins.

Also, the lane is hardwood or synthetic material. It is very hard as is the ball. Only a very miniscule part of the ball is in contact with the lane at any one instant. Very much unlike putting your whole hand on the lane.

If you look at the ball of an experienced bowler, using their own ball you will see a ring of wear around the ball of a varying diameter.

Frequently when practicing, I would use a small piece of masking tape in the middle of that ring to show how consistent I was delivering the ball. That is not legal during league or tournament play.

The only injury I ever got while bowling might have been a blister after rolling 100 or more games in a day. That would only happen if I was doing something wrong.
I can appreciate that you consider it a sport... I didn't mean any disrespect. Bet the neanderthals never thght of oil.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Golf and bowling and billiards all three are based on the same principle.
In each, it can all be summed up in one word. Angles.
In all three it's how you connect your body to throwing an angle is what makes the game.
In golf and billiards, your body uses an instrument to strike the ball.
In bowling, your body throws the ball. But in all three your body is routinely offset from the angle to the target.
Eyes, hands, angles.

Baseball (hitting) kicks it way up into another level. Because it's still eyes, hands and offset angles, but the ball is actually speeding towards you.
So your window of time to prepare to strike (or roll) the ball is of much shorter duration.

So whether to classify one or the other as a game or as a sport becomes an interesting proposition.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:Golf and bowling and billiards all three are based on the same principle.
In each,  it can all be summed up in one word.  Angles.
In all three it's how you connect your body to throwing an angle is what makes the game.  
In golf and billiards,  your body uses an instrument to strike the ball.
In bowling,  your body throws the ball.  But in all three your body is routinely offset from the angle to the target.  
Eyes,  hands,  angles.

Baseball (hitting) kicks it way up into another level.  Because it's still eyes,  hands and offset angles,  but the ball is actually speeding towards you.
So your window of time to prepare to strike (or roll) the ball is of much shorter duration.

So whether to classify one or the other as a game or as a sport becomes an interesting proposition.  
Golf is rhythm, acceleration and timing.......along with the proper form.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:
Golf is rhythm, acceleration and timing.......along with the proper form.
The exact same can be said of bowling, billiards and baseball (hitting).

The only real difference is billiards requires the least physical involvement, then bowling, then golf, then baseball (hitting).

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Me and this embarrased young lady have both demonstrated how not to bowl.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:Golf is rhythm, acceleration and timing.......along with the proper form.
Golf is a nice walk through a well manicured park spoiled. 

Stupid fucking game. 

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bowling and golf are two sports I could never get into. I have done a little of both, however.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My thigh is now hurting so bad that I am rethinking my bowling activities.
I think I'm about ready to move onto shuffleboard at the retirement home.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A joke bonus for this thread.

What did the jewish pedophile say?

"Wanna buy some candy,  little girl"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum