Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pensacola is best city to commute in US

+4
Yella
Jake92
Nekochan
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Yomama wrote:

I moved down to P'cola from the mountains of western Virginia. It was a pleasure to ride my road bike up there. When I moved back to P'cola, I sold my motorcycle. I agree with Alecto 100%.

I try to give a motorcycle plenty of room when I'm behind one.

Didn't know you ever lived in western Virginia, Yomama. I lived in southern West Virginia (and played in western Virginia.) Very Happy

I can't remember exactly why we went to western Virginia so often from my college town. It was either the price of beer or the drinking age. We used to buy this beer that came in little green bottles. Good stuff, but I can't remember the name.

Sal

Sal

PBulldog2 wrote:
Yomama wrote:

I moved down to P'cola from the mountains of western Virginia. It was a pleasure to ride my road bike up there. When I moved back to P'cola, I sold my motorcycle. I agree with Alecto 100%.

Didn't know you ever lived in western Virginia, Yomama. I lived in southern West Virginia (and played in western Virginia.) Very Happy

I can't remember exactly why we went to western Virginia so often from my college town. It was either the price of beer or the drinking age. We used to buy this beer that came in little green bottles. Good stuff, but I can't remember the name.

Little Kings?

Pensacola is best city to commute in US - Page 2 LLittleKingsBottle

PBulldog2 wrote:
Yomama wrote:

I was based in Bristol, VA. I was a pharmaceutical salesman with a 30-county territory that I covered every 6 weeks. Parts of Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Beautiful country, but I got bored. Bristol was the biggest "city" in my territory with 30,000 people. The big thing was to go brown-baggin' to a bar that sold you set-ups. (I drove down to Johnson City a bunch.)

alecto wrote:It may be a good city to commute in if your in a 4 wheeled vehicle but it is horrible if you are on a motorcycle. This place is horrible for motorcycles, I've been run off the road more times than I can count, assholes pulling out in front of me weekly, and rear ended twice.

Amen to that, brother. When we moved there we had a KLR-650 that my husband used to ride to and from work here in our hometown. It was about a 30-mile trip to town and he even rode the bike in the dead of winter when there was black ice and 4-foot of snow up where we lived because the alternative was to drive the Chevy and get about 4-mi/gal. He is most certainly an expert rider... grew up on 2-wheels.

He decided to sell the KLR shortly after we moved there because of the sheer quantity of accidents he'd nearly been in. He would not tell me the details of some of them, so I know they had to be bad because I don't scare easily. And it was only an 8-mile drive across Escambia Bay Bridge to get to work... although I will add that this was when they were rebuilding the bridge after Ivan.... I nearly tore my hair out.

I was sad to see it go... but there just wasn't anywhere to ride back there like we did at home.

Yomama wrote:

I do too, and I just assume that his blinker and brake lights don't work for good measure (lots of dirt bikes converted @home to dual sports here, so it does happen). I have too many friends and family members who ride, all of them have scary stories to tell. A friend from work is a big rider, has been since we were kids, and one of his sons is getting pretty famous in motocross. In every rig I've ever see him drive he had "WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES" stickers on both corners of the back bumper. A couple of years ago he was hauling his son's bikes back up from a competition pulling a toyhauler and he hit and killed another rider. It practically destroyed him... he didn't ride for a long time and he nearly lost his job. He was able to turn it around by starting a non-profit to help riders who get hit by 4-wheel vehicles.

Yomama wrote:
I was based in Bristol, VA. I was a pharmaceutical salesman with a 30-county territory that I covered every 6 weeks. Parts of Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Beautiful country, but I got bored. Bristol was the biggest "city" in my territory with 30,000 people. The big thing was to go brown-baggin' to a bar that sold you set-ups. (I drove down to Johnson City a bunch.)

I think you are the official Jack of All Trades of the forum, EE. You have had about every random job I could think of!

Nekochan

Nekochan

PkrBum wrote:Ya... atlanta and houston are very similar... a little reckless but fast. Dallas is the worst imo... they will hit you even with expensive cars... it's war.

In Dallas, they have no problem using the emergency lane to zip in and out of traffic. And I've seen trucks and SUVs get off of the Interstate without taking an exit. If there isn't a road or a lane, they don't care! Shocked

Nekochan wrote:In Dallas, they have no problem using the emergency lane to zip in and out of traffic. And I've seen trucks and SUVs get off of the Interstate without taking an exit. If there isn't a road or a lane, they don't care! Shocked

I had the "pleasure" to get in a New York City traffic jam. If there was pavement, it got driven upon. "Lanes? We don't need no stinkin' lanes."

Nekochan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Ya... atlanta and houston are very similar... a little reckless but fast. Dallas is the worst imo... they will hit you even with expensive cars... it's war.

In Dallas, they have no problem using the emergency lane to zip in and out of traffic. And I've seen trucks and SUVs get off of the Interstate without taking an exit. If there isn't a road or a lane, they don't care! Shocked

I hope I never again have to drive through either ATL, Dallas or Houston. All three are total nightmares for a person who has nearly zero experience driving in cities.

:-E

Jake92

In NY City, they just bump you and keep on going.. Funny story.. I was in a piock up in NYC. The traffic stopped for a red light and 2 cars got cose to the sides of a car with a deer tied on the trunk.. A big guy ran off the sidewalk and cut the deer off and took off with it over his shoulders. lol

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Seoul Korea is horrible....Some intersections with 8 or 10 lanes merge into 2 lanes. The cars and buses "squeeze" in.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bangkok is probably the scariest place I've ever been on the road. Just close your eyes and hope to God your cab driver knows what he's doing!

I always made the boys drive when I've traveled abroad. Tee hee hee! I am an excellent driver, and they all know it, but you know boys... they always want to be behind the wheel, so there was never any complaints. Neko, I think you've heard my stories about being lost in and around Amsterdam... Jeminy Christmas! lol.

Nekochan

Nekochan

You lived to talk about it, Rice!

The only place outside of Japan where we ever drove ourselves, when traveling, was Australia. That was a piece of cake, once we got outside of Sydney.

In Japan, I never really started to panic unless I was really lost and it was getting dark. Everything looks different (or the same!) when it gets dark!

Nekochan wrote:You lived to talk about it, Rice!

The only place outside of Japan where we ever drove ourselves, when traveling, was Australia. That was a piece of cake, once we got outside of Sydney.

In Japan, I never really started to panic unless I was really lost and it was getting dark. Everything looks different (or the same!) when it gets dark!

Oh geez, only place I ever felt like that was in Florida and LA (as in Lower Alabama). LOL.

Jake92

I was on Grand Cayman which is 5 miles wide and maybe 25 miles long and I ran out of gas. The tank was full when started. LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum