Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pensacola is best city to commute in US

+4
Yella
Jake92
Nekochan
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://www.pensacola.com/news/local-news/4382-pensacola-is-best-city-to-commute-in-us

Bob wrote:http://www.pensacola.com/news/local-news/4382-pensacola-is-best-city-to-commute-in-us

It's certainly easier to get around than here in Hoover. (Of course, Birmingham/Hoover Metro is rated as having the worst drivers in the US)

LOL Apples to Corn. No Jobs, No industry, No commuters duh.....

Clearly Xxxxxxxxxx, California (my hometown) was not part of the study.

Cool

The traffic in Pensacola always drove me absolutely bananas...

....then I moved to Orlando.

Shocked

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:LOL Apples to Corn. No Jobs, No industry, No commuters duh.....
If the PNJ reports on this that would be a perfect comment response. Or a letter to the editor if they don't. lol

Nekochan

Nekochan

hallmarkgrad wrote:LOL Apples to Corn. No Jobs, No industry, No commuters duh.....

LOL, Hallmark.

Jake92

The biggest problem I see is the inconsiderate drivers and the lights never being ajusted to allow a smooth traffic flow. Other places I've been, you could stop at a red light and the rest of the lights you went thru, on the same road, for the next 10 miles would be green as long as you kept to the speed limit.. They were just timed correctly when they were first installed, NOT like in P'cola where they were installed and never timed.. Imagine going down Davis from WF Hospital to Fairfield or Michigan Ave/Brent Ln from Mobile Hwy to 12th Ave and only hitting 1 red light!!!! It could happen if they were timed correctly and the drivers used their heads for something besides someplace for storing a cell phone..

Yella

Yella

Jake92 wrote:The biggest problem I see is the inconsiderate drivers and the lights never being ajusted to allow a smooth traffic flow. Other places I've been, you could stop at a red light and the rest of the lights you went thru, on the same road, for the next 10 miles would be green as long as you kept to the speed limit.. They were just timed correctly when they were first installed, NOT like in P'cola where they were installed and never timed.. Imagine going down Davis from WF Hospital to Fairfield or Michigan Ave/Brent Ln from Mobile Hwy to 12th Ave and only hitting 1 red light!!!! It could happen if they were timed correctly and the drivers used their heads for something besides someplace for storing a cell phone..

To me Davis is like an automotive war zone, or a racetrack with maniac drivers. I only drive it when it is absolutely necessary.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

The only downright frustrating drive I experience is on 98. If they aren't tailgating they're weaving in and out of traffic in a hurry to get nowhere. Or they feel they have to enforce the SL and drive in the left lane a few MPH below it, thus encouraging tailgating, etc, etc, etc....

The rest of P'cola isn't that bad. And just like everything, there are exceptions indexed to "rush hour", ie...Davis @ I-10.

We're spoiled.

Jake92 wrote:The biggest problem I see is the inconsiderate drivers and the lights never being ajusted to allow a smooth traffic flow. Other places I've been, you could stop at a red light and the rest of the lights you went thru, on the same road, for the next 10 miles would be green as long as you kept to the speed limit.. They were just timed correctly when they were first installed, NOT like in P'cola where they were installed and never timed.. Imagine going down Davis from WF Hospital to Fairfield or Michigan Ave/Brent Ln from Mobile Hwy to 12th Ave and only hitting 1 red light!!!! It could happen if they were timed correctly and the drivers used their heads for something besides someplace for storing a cell phone..

Yeah, I found it pretty irritating that the lights were not timed correctly as well. Aside from the things you point out above, it unnecessarily burns up fuel.

cool1

cool1

Yella wrote:

To me Davis is like an automotive war zone, or a racetrack with maniac drivers. I only drive it when it is absolutely necessary.

Davis Hwy is really bad --I broke down on that road --I couldnt get the cars to stop so I could push my car off the road--so I went across the street 911---LOL---The cop got there --He was so mad --He got out put his hand up--well he got the traffic to stop--then went in front of the other lanes --halted both--one guy tried to get through--he was mad , He jumped in front of his car again and blew his whistle and put his hand up again--Then he looked at me and said --Now we will push the car off the road--heehee I was stuck in the middle of all those lanes --He said this is the only way to get these assholes to stop--I just laughed.

Jake92

The FIRST thing I mentioned as a problem is the inconsiderate drivers. It's not just the yankees, or the rednecks, but everybody of all races, ages, states, and income levels.. It could be bubba in a pickup that's ready to fall apart or an old lady in a pink Caddi, or a middle aged businessman in a suit driving a Mercedes, or even a biker with a long beard, no helmet and wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I have to drive Davis Hwy. everyday to get to work and it's like being in the demolition derby. My pet peeve is putting a safe stopping distance between you and the driver in front of you. Every time I have a little space some idiot comes and gets in front of me causing me to be tail gaiting them. Tonight I had to stop short suddenly due to the driver in front of me stopping and the guy behind me was too close and I heard his tires screeching and he had to swerve to the right to avoid hitting me. I watched in the mirror and thought "oh shit, he's going to hit me"! Another is them changing lanes in an intersection. They do it every damn day cutting you off as you go through the light.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Dreamsglore wrote:I have to drive Davis Hwy. everyday to get to work and it's like being in the demolition derby. My pet peeve is putting a safe stopping distance between you and the driver in front of you. Every time I have a little space some idiot comes and gets in front of me causing me to be tail gaiting them. Tonight I had to stop short suddenly due to the driver in front of me stopping and the guy behind me was too close and I heard his tires screeching and he had to swerve to the right to avoid hitting me. I watched in the mirror and thought "oh shit, he's going to hit me"! Another is them changing lanes in an intersection. They do it every damn day cutting you off as you go through the light.

I hate Davis Hwy.

Dreamsglore wrote:I have to drive Davis Hwy. everyday to get to work and it's like being in the demolition derby. My pet peeve is putting a safe stopping distance between you and the driver in front of you. Every time I have a little space some idiot comes and gets in front of me causing me to be tail gaiting them. Tonight I had to stop short suddenly due to the driver in front of me stopping and the guy behind me was too close and I heard his tires screeching and he had to swerve to the right to avoid hitting me. I watched in the mirror and thought "oh shit, he's going to hit me"! Another is them changing lanes in an intersection. They do it every damn day cutting you off as you go through the light.

All of that stuff is just so dangerous... I don't understand why people drive that way. Something else I experienced a lot in Pensacola was people running through the lights for quite a while after they'd turned red. I began slowing down as I approached intersections and looking both ways, just to make sure there wasn't some nut wingwho was going to t-bone me if I went through on my own green light.

I hate Davis Hwy.[/quote]

Know how Davis Hi way got it name?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

hallmarkgrad wrote:I hate Davis Hwy.

Know how Davis Hi way got it name?[/quote]

Davis family?

Ben Davis Tax collector/assessor . My Uncle married his daughter. I used to know some of them. Lot of interesting stories about land deals back then. Good call.

Escambia County Tax Collectors (list incomplete)
Name Elected/Appointed[2] Tenure
F. E. de la Rua July 26, 1845
Maximo P. de Rioboo September 16, 1845
December 22, 1845
January 2, 1847
A. W. Nicholson October 27, 1847
A. B. Wheelock April 1, 1874
George E. Wentworth March 15, 1875
F. E. Richardson February 1, 1877
Manuel Palmes May 2, 1879
May 13, 1881
May 4, 1883
May 25, 1887
A. H. D'Alemberte December 27, 1888 1888 - January 6, 1903
J. S. Roberts 1904
1916 January 3, 1905 - January 15, 1915
1917-1929
T. T. Wentworth, Jr. 1928 1929-1941
John R. Jones 1940 1941-1949
Ben L. Davis 1948 1949-1965
E. J. Gibbs, Jr. 1964 1965-1977
Matt Langley Bell III 1976 1977 - October 15, 1998 (his death)
Janet Holley October 21, 1998 (appointed)
November 7, 2000 (elected) 1998-present
[edit]Notes & references

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:Ben Davis Tax collector/assessor . My Uncle married his daughter. I used to know some of them. Lot of interesting stories about land deals back then. Good call.

Escambia County Tax Collectors (list incomplete)
Name Elected/Appointed[2] Tenure
F. E. de la Rua July 26, 1845
Maximo P. de Rioboo September 16, 1845
December 22, 1845
January 2, 1847
A. W. Nicholson October 27, 1847
A. B. Wheelock April 1, 1874
George E. Wentworth March 15, 1875
F. E. Richardson February 1, 1877
Manuel Palmes May 2, 1879
May 13, 1881
May 4, 1883
May 25, 1887
A. H. D'Alemberte December 27, 1888 1888 - January 6, 1903
J. S. Roberts 1904
1916 January 3, 1905 - January 15, 1915
1917-1929
T. T. Wentworth, Jr. 1928 1929-1941
John R. Jones 1940 1941-1949
Ben L. Davis 1948 1949-1965
E. J. Gibbs, Jr. 1964 1965-1977
Matt Langley Bell III 1976 1977 - October 15, 1998 (his death)
Janet Holley October 21, 1998 (appointed)
November 7, 2000 (elected) 1998-present
[edit]Notes & references

The name should be changed.I like Stooderville Expressway.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

Davis family?
I think that might be reaching a little, CG. Every town and city in the south has a Davis St or Davis Highway. I think you can attribute that to the name of the leader of the Confederacy. lol

It may be a good city to commute in if your in a 4 wheeled vehicle but it is horrible if you are on a motorcycle. This place is horrible for motorcycles, I've been run off the road more times than I can count, assholes pulling out in front of me weekly, and rear ended twice.

I commuted through Atlanta for a couple of years and you MUST change lanes when there is room for a car. If you put on your turn signal, the jerks will speed up and close the gap. So, you put on your turn signal and move over... without delay. After a while, it becomes no big deal... you do it and people do it in front of you... just something that happens that must be done.

People in Pensacola go berserk when that happens. If you're not used to people squeezing in like that, it does piss you off. (It doesn't bother me any more.)

alecto wrote:It may be a good city to commute in if your in a 4 wheeled vehicle but it is horrible if you are on a motorcycle. This place is horrible for motorcycles, I've been run off the road more times than I can count, assholes pulling out in front of me weekly, and rear ended twice.

I moved down to P'cola from the mountains of western Virginia. It was a pleasure to ride my road bike up there. When I moved back to P'cola, I sold my motorcycle. I agree with Alecto 100%.

I try to give a motorcycle plenty of room when I'm behind one.

Ya... atlanta and houston are very similar... a little reckless but fast. Dallas is the worst imo... they will hit you even with expensive cars... it's war.

Joanimaroni wrote:

Davis family?

When did it get the name change from Ferry Pass Highway?

Hallmarkgrad, I saw your new Avatar and didn't focus on it properly. I swear that the first thing I thought was that I was seeing a pile of poop Razz

Pensacola is best city to commute in US 61-6710

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum