Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Record collecting - are you a collector?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

catfriedlegs

I am. Still love the vinyl. I read Bob is a seller of vinyl and was interested in knowing what he sells. It's hard to find good vinyl at local thrift stores now. Mostly you see the same stuff over and over again. Ray Conniff apparently was quite big back in the day. And those Firestone Christmas albums.... Shocked

So what ya got?

Azadeh wrote:I am. Still love the vinyl. I read Bob is a seller of vinyl and was interested in knowing what he sells. It's hard to find good vinyl at local thrift stores now. Mostly you see the same stuff over and over again. Ray Conniff apparently was quite big back in the day. And those Firestone Christmas albums.... Shocked

So what ya got?

Not like I used to be. The last vinyl I purchased was Beckola'....

I had been collecting since '68 but digital is more user friendly.

I'm sure you know that Eric/Elvis has a shop (Revolver Records) in the old Subterraneum Books space. Last time I was there, He tried to turn me on to some Leftover Crack.

Sadly, he was out.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Azadeh wrote:I read Bob is a seller of vinyl and was interested in knowing what he sells.

I'm now very specialized. I deal only in singles (no LP's). And only in "northern soul", funk, garage, psychedic and only obscure artists on obscure labels which were all very low production. And lo production rockabilly. Most of it made between the late 60's into the 70's (except for the rockabilly which is 50's). And most of the buyers are outside the U.S.
Starting about eight years ago the whole record collecting market stopped spending money on the traditional collecting genre and all the money started chasing that so I followed suit. I'm a capitalist.

You've already seen my lil collection (most of it anyways), so I'll forgo with the lengthy response.

Was just wondering if you'd yet gotten a new needle so you could listen to the 7" of mine that I gave you. Dammit if I can't remember the name of the band at the moment... it was a Pcola band and the album was yeller. It's driving my nuts that I can't remember who it was!! ARGH!

Markle

Markle

I have several hundred going back to the early 60's. They've been boxed up for probably 20 years. Very early Elvis, a lot of rock, honky tonk, jazz, blues, folk songs, Peter, Paul and Mary, country, probably 20 or 30 hard to find, at the time, classical recordings. All in good condition with their jackets. Most of the time they were played on a Dual 1219 turntable with an Empire II cartridge. Still have it and the Dynaco pre-amp and amplifier I built with it and two KLH-6 speakers.

I've heard that I could convert them all to digital but have no clue how or probably the patience.

Then I have maybe 50 or 75 LP's and a few 78's from my folks. Trouble is their house was flooded once and all the jackets were destroyed.

Two Lionel trains and an Erector Set....

My record collection was stolen years ago. I miss the sound of vinyl records and tube amps.

It is hard to believe good sound comes from a needle dragged down a vinyl groove.

Record collecting - are you a collector? H1000110

Sal

Sal

I was in a pop music store recently and was surprised that they were selling vinyl LPs.

The prices were outrageous - $35-$40 a record.

I still have my collection of vinyl, and my last turntable.

It's really high-tech with an electric eye that will locate the spaces between songs so you can skip to specific tracks.

Yomama wrote:My record collection was stolen years ago. I miss the sound of vinyl records and tube amps.

It is hard to believe good sound comes from a needle dragged down a vinyl groove.

Record collecting - are you a collector? H1000110

Stolen... MAN, that sure stinks! I had to sell the very best of my collection years ago in order to pay the rent and put food on the table. Everything I sold was absolutely irreplaceable and still to this day it breaks my heart to think of it. So... well, what remains of my collection is relatively small, but there's still some pretty neat stuff.

The house I live in now has a hidden turntable and stereo system in the built-in cabinetry against the Northwest wall, and there's a window-seat right next to it that flips up where you store your vinyl... it's really cool. There are actually a whole bunch of hidden compartments and storage areas in this house. Pretty neat. But the gal who built the place was a huge music fan.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:I was in a pop music store recently and was surprised that they were selling vinyl LPs.

I still have my collection of vinyl, and my last turntable.

It's really high-tech with an electric eye that will locate the spaces between songs so you can skip to specific tracks.
Vinyl has a new market of folk who've convinced themselves that the vinyl audio is superior to digital. Similarly, there is a resurgence in using vacuum tubes instead of solid-state devices because people have convinced themselves that's superior too.

I use the term "have convinced themselves" because, in that debate, I take the side that the difference in sound quality is subtle and outweighed by all the other benefits of the newer technology.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:[font=Arial Black]

You should see the prices they're willing to pay for the high end audio equipment to play it on. How does upwards of several thousand dollars for a lousy set of speaker wires grab you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum