Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Man jailed for collecting rainwater on his own property

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Oregon man in possession of 13 million gallons of illicit rainwater sentenced to jail

An Oregon resident with 3 massive man-made ponds on his property is sentenced to 30 days in jail after being found guilty (again) of collecting rainwater without a permit.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/blogs/oregon-man-in-possession-of-13-million-gallons-of-illicit-rainwater-sentence

since when did a person need a permit to collect rainwater?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

You need a permit for every-damned-thing in this country. If anything is crippling our country, that reality is!!!

A person can't even start a business in Florida without jumping through tons of legal hoops. A permit for this, a license for that county, a license for that city, an LLC to prevent paying workman's comp, liability insurance for the company.....it goes on and on.

I was talking to a friend the other day whose husband wanted to start a local contracting business. This man has years of operating his own contracting business in another state. He passed the state contractor's exam here. Now for the clincher - supposedly, he has to work with another contractor for a time period ( a year?) and then get "signed off" in order to work as a contractor in Florida. WTH???

I write this with bated breath as I wait for the city code enforcement to pay me a visit. Yeah, my flowers are high, but dammit, I like'em that way, and they'll be prettier next year. Yeah, it's rather out of bounds now, but that will be fixed come fall. Maybe I'll just let the city clean my lots completely, pay what they want, and then start over. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend ten days cleaning it up myself to meet their stupid standards.

Whatever happened to the days when Grandma started a business selling her homegrown honey, and Pops sold his firewood? They did it without permits. Why can't we?

I blame all the reactive political parties for this mess. It is also why I am an almost pure libertarian. It's also why I want to live in a cabin without electricity in the woods in West Virginia, near a creek filled with fish.

There. I said it.

I am so sick of al the regulations put forth by all political parties. That is why I am a

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

If we ever find our cabin in West Virginia, I am going to have Paul Watson's words inscribed on the wood mantelpiece:

"That was our intention - and it was realized."

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I dearly love and hate my home state West Virginia. So much beauty and so much stupid in one place.

Go to North Carolina much better mix of beauty and smarts.

PB, I feel exactly the same way as you do. I wish I could live in a hut somewhere a lot out of all this mess.

Thats out right rediculus that the man who is doing contracting has to work for another before doing the same thing hes been doing in another state.

When I saw this I thought my god what have we become. There have been talks about garden laws, and there are garden laws on your own property. Like you shouldnt grow veggies in the front yard in some places etc. and then there is hording of food, or the amish I think that got in trouble for selling non pasturized milk.

We simply have to many damn laws. and the only reason I can think of why is, we have to damn many laywers who have nothing else to do but sit around and figure out how to insure they keep gettin a paycheck, so they make up stupid laws.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I dearly love and hate my home state West Virginia. So much beauty and so much stupid in one place.

My heart is in West Virginia, Teo. That's just how it is. It's not about memories, because my memories are not that good. It's about feeling like I fit in.

I loved it when we went there three years ago. We didn't visit anyone I knew, nor did we even visit my hometown. We visited my college, because that's where my life began. Then we went to the woods, which is where I always went back then. Don't know if I told you, but I lived in the woods - 20 miles from any town - for two years by myself. I lived on 60 acres of land with a spring. I had to leave my house at 0400 and walk half a mile up the mountain to my truck in order to go to school.

I live in what had been a grand, old family house. It was spooky at times being the only resident, but I always felt surrounded by good vibes. And the snow on the pasture at night.....the stars, for there was no light.....there is nothing like it except being at sea, far from land, on a clear night.

I have some pictures somewhere....it'll take some time to find them, but I'll post a picture of my woods. They were exactly the same when we went back to visit in 2009.

PBulldog2 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I dearly love and hate my home state West Virginia. So much beauty and so much stupid in one place.

My heart is in West Virginia, Teo. That's just how it is. It's not about memories, because my memories are not that good. It's about feeling like I fit in.

I loved it when we went there three years ago. We didn't visit anyone I knew, nor did we even visit my hometown. We visited my college, because that's where my life began. Then we went to the woods, which is where I always went back then. Don't know if I told you, but I lived in the woods - 20 miles from any town - for two years by myself. I lived on 60 acres of land with a spring. I had to leave my house at 0400 and walk half a mile up the mountain to my truck in order to go to school.

I live in what had been a grand, old family house. It was spooky at times being the only resident, but I always felt surrounded by good vibes. And the snow on the pasture at night.....the stars, for there was no light.....there is nothing like it except being at sea, far from land, on a clear night.

I have some pictures somewhere....it'll take some time to find them, but I'll post a picture of my woods. They were exactly the same when we went back to visit in 2009.

What a interesting tidbit about you PB. I'd love to hear more about that. I promise I wont poke fun. btw, I was only raggin ya last night about the garbage pickin thing. I hope you didnt get upset about it.. Forgive....?

we have a big hole in our back yard that also collects rainwater.

it's called a pool, but i prefer to think of it as a sink hole.

thread_bear wrote:we have a big hole in our back yard that also collects rainwater.

it's called a pool, but i prefer to think of it as a sink hole.

you know Ive often thought of my pool as a water reserve for the apocolypse Wink

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

He didn't collect that rain water alone. Someone helped him collect that rain water. eric holder should launch an investigation in to who helped him collect the rain water. Then the GOP can sue holder for making the rain water fall in to the pond in an attempt to funnel American rain water to the mexican rain water cartels.

Rumer has it that a lifeguard drowned from that rain water and the white house is trying to cover it up.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

What a interesting tidbit about you PB. I'd love to hear more about that. I promise I wont poke fun. btw, I was only raggin ya last night about the garbage pickin thing. I hope you didnt get upset about it.. Forgive....?

No need for forgiveness! That was the most fun I'd had in a long time on the forums. I'm going to take a picture of the little park at the dump next time I go, though. Those workers are good at pickin' the right stuff, and it's all very artistic.

Teo: I tried to upload a picture of my old homestead to this forum, but it wouldn't take. I decided to open a flickr account instead. I'll try to cut and paste it from there.

PBulldog2 wrote:

No need for forgiveness! That was the most fun I'd had in a long time on the forums. I'm going to take a picture of the little park at the dump next time I go, though. Those workers are good at pickin' the right stuff, and it's all very artistic.

Teo: I tried to upload a picture of my old homestead to this forum, but it wouldn't take. I decided to open a flickr account instead. I'll try to cut and paste it from there.

Cant wait to see it. We should all give teo a pic of us, those who will and let him place us all around the dump with ya Laughing

glad ya had fun, I did too, it was my versaion of tickling you Razz poke poke

ghandi wrote:He didn't collect that rain water alone. Someone helped him collect that rain water. eric holder should launch an investigation in to who helped him collect the rain water. Then the GOP can sue holder for making the rain water fall in to the pond in an attempt to funnel American rain water to the mexican rain water cartels.

Rumer has it that a lifeguard drowned from that rain water and the white house is trying to cover it up.

Laughing

At a time when most people had so much land that they rarely even saw their neighbors and the need for regulations was next to nil.

As people live closer and closer to each other, the more that their actions bug their neighbors and the more laws are enacted to placate those irritations.

It isn't going to get any better.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I thought I already posted this, but it seems it went into the ethers.

Anyhow, the the old homestead (even though I was a tenant, not the owner) is located at about a 30 degree angle south and a mile to the right of the big, white barn on the left.

All you can see of "my" house is the reddish roof. The house is now surrounded by trees. The pastures are to the left, and the mountain and ravine are to the right. You can see the hill I had to climb. I could use my husband's truck on it, but it wasn't too long before I had neither a truck nor a husband. Living out there was "too hard" on my dear ex-husband. Rolling Eyes Or so he said. Very Happy

Here's the pic (you can make it really big on this site, too).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akfitz/7784845522/sizes/k/in/photostream/

ghandi wrote:He didn't collect that rain water alone. Someone helped him collect that rain water. eric holder should launch an investigation in to who helped him collect the rain water. Then the GOP can sue holder for making the rain water fall in to the pond in an attempt to funnel American rain water to the mexican rain water cartels.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

welcome back. i'm still pondering your positive score when it's obvious you just ain't that smart. the Dream Catcher as an avatar is an interesting move.

i can't wait to hear how Native American Mysticism dovetails with your racism.

PBulldog2 wrote:I thought I already posted this, but it seems it went into the ethers.

Anyhow, the the old homestead (even though I was a tenant, not the owner) is located at about a 30 degree angle south and a mile to the right of the big, white barn on the left.

All you can see of "my" house is the reddish roof. The house is now surrounded by trees. The pastures are to the left, and the mountain and ravine are to the right. You can see the hill I had to climb. I could use my husband's truck on it, but it wasn't too long before I had neither a truck nor a husband. Living out there was "too hard" on my dear ex-husband. Rolling Eyes Or so he said. Very Happy

Here's the pic (you can make it really big on this site, too).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akfitz/7784845522/sizes/k/in/photostream/

very nice!!!!!. id be livin there. PB we can build me a little hut right out back and ill do all the chores, cook too. lets make a deal. Smile

PBulldog2 wrote:

Did you have a telephone at least?

thread_bear wrote:

welcome back. i'm still pondering your positive score when it's obvious you just ain't that smart. the Dream Catcher as an avatar is an interesting move.

haha i didnt connect the dreamcatcher thing till just now lol cyclops

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

thread_bear wrote:

I'm above you in so many levels that you can't bother my any more. justin casey.

Enjoy your evening. It's garbage day and my trash bin is full of everything but sticks and stones.

Granny4Peace

Granny4Peace

Oh wow, PB! That is really beautiful. I've always heard that West Virginia is a beautiful place. I sometimes miss the green hills of Kentucky, where I lived for 10 years.

Granny4Peace wrote:Oh wow, PB! That is really beautiful. I've always heard that West Virginia is a beautiful place. I sometimes miss the green hills of Kentucky, where I lived for 10 years.

Granny, your not trying to move in on my proposal now are ya?

im tryin to get me a hut in the back

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Yomama wrote:Man jailed for collecting rainwater on his own property 77848411

Thanks, Eric! I just couldn't get it to work. I am definitely picture-posting challenged, no matter how many times I watch your DVD.

And sure, Secret Angel, we'll build ya a cabin on the back forty. You can keep the fields plowed, too. Very Happy

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Dreamsglore wrote:

Did you have a telephone at least?

Yes, I did. It tied in to the line up at the road. The service was iffy, but most of the time it worked. I had electrical power, too.

For heat, I had an aluminum Keene heater. It would heat up three rooms in about 20 minutes. I had a coal cook stove, too, but never did figure out how to get enough coal down the hill, so I never used it. Besides, there was plenty of dead wood available.

The water came from the spring above the house. It was wonderful!

My favorite thing to do in the winter was curl up with a blanket and my dog in the room that had the Keene heater. I was going to school at the time, so that was a great place to study.

For protection, I had a little old .410 shotgun and a .22 pistol. The only time I ever felt I had to worry about my safety was during hunting season.I had a bright orange jacket I wore when I was humping it up and down the hill.

I posted "No Hunting" signs all over the place, but a nasty hunter got me back for doing that. Someone shot a fawn and left it intact on the path up the hill. The bastard.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum