Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

USPS Ends Saturday Delivery

+7
Floridatexan
Sal
Nekochan
ZVUGKTUBM
Joanimaroni
Hospital Bob
Slicef18
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 11:11 am

Slicef18

Slicef18

The Postal Service has announced it is stopping Saturday delivery.

2USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 11:16 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That was inevitable. So is a lot of other stuff associated with the USPS. That thing is is a dying entity.
As the percentage of those who want to continue to use it is decreasing, there will be a corresponding increase in the price per mailing. And at some point it's gonna become like the Garcon Point Bridge. You can only raise the toll so much before you chase off the toll payer. Same with this.

3USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 12:05 pm

Slicef18

Slicef18

Bob wrote:That was inevitable. So is a lot of other stuff associated with the USPS. That thing is is a dying entity.
As the percentage of those who want to continue to use it is decreasing, there will be a corresponding increase in the price per mailing. And at some point it's gonna become like the Garcon Point Bridge. You can only raise the toll so much before you chase off the toll payer. Same with this.

Agreed. It's the small businessman who will object the most. Many count on receiving payments on their accounts receivable.

4USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 12:59 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Slicef18 wrote:
Bob wrote:That was inevitable. So is a lot of other stuff associated with the USPS. That thing is is a dying entity.

Agreed. It's the small businessman who will object the most. Many count on receiving payments on their accounts receivable.

Good point.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'll let you in on something about the price increase. It's not just a penny on a first class letter.
I'm a collectible record dealer who only does mail order. The market for the stuff I sell is Europe and Japan. For years I've been able to mail a 45 RPM record internationally for about $6.
When the price hikes took effect in January that price went from $6 to $12. A fricking 100% overnight increase.
What does that do to me? Well it eliminates the sale of a lot of lower priced items because the percentage of mailing cost is now more than can justify the transaction.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The Post Office is already dead. The people just haven't figured it out yet.

What Congress needs to get hot on is passing a "Do Not Mail" law that is similar to the Do Not Call list. This would allow citizens to opt-out of receiving direct mail solicitations. It would save millions of trees, tons of fuel, manhours, and lots of money. It likely would also put the Post Office out of business, as their total mail volume would be reduced by about 50%.

I mean, why should the Post Office deliver mail that gets 80% thrown away unread, or shredded (credit card offers). This is something that truly needs to be addressed.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:The Post Office is already dead. The people just haven't figured it out yet.

What Congress needs to get hot on is passing a "Do Not Mail" law that is similar to the Do Not Call list. This would allow citizens to opt-out of receiving direct mail solicitations. It would save millions of trees, tons of fuel, manhours, and lots of money. It likely would also put the Post Office out of business, as their total mail volume would be reduced by about 50%.

I mean, why should the Post Office deliver mail that gets 80% thrown away unread, or shredded (credit card offers). This is something that truly needs to be addressed.
You gave the answer to your own question. They can't survive without the junk mail so nobody from the top down who gets a paycheck from the PO would ever be in favor of jeopardizing that revenue stream.

The USPS is in exactly the same situation as the daily newspapers. They're both desperately trying to implement cost savings measures in attempt to delay their demise.
The one huge difference between the two, though, is that we have many alternatives to replace the daily newspaper.
BUT, so far there is no alternative to replace first class mail. The only thing we can hope for is that the USPS price increases will provide incentive to private entrepreneurs to provide an alternative (same as they did with parcel shipping).
But if that happens the alternative is doubtfully ever again going to provide the door to door service we have now. It's just too costly.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Call me crazy, but I think there's still a need and a place for the US mail service. Maybe not 6 day a week delivery, but there is a need for it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:Call me crazy, but I think there's still a need and a place for the US mail service. Maybe not 6 day a week delivery, but there is a need for it.
Of course there is. How is your Great Granny gonna mail her great grandkids their birthday cards when all email is to Great Granny is some conspiracy theory the devil devised.
Just like all Granny knows about reading news is sitting on the john with her newspaper.
lol

10USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 1:56 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Call me crazy, but I think there's still a need and a place for the US mail service. Maybe not 6 day a week delivery, but there is a need for it.
Of course there is. How is your Great Granny gonna mail her great grandkids their birthday cards when all email is to Great Granny is some conspiracy theory the devil devised.
Just like all Granny knows about reading news is sitting on the john with her newspaper.
lol

Even if great granny uses email, there is nothing like opening a real card.

11USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 2:00 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:

Maybe to granny. But for a cheapskate like me there is a big difference between an email card and a real card. The email card is free. lol

12USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 2:02 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

Maybe to granny. But for a cheapskate like me there is a big difference between an email card and a real card. The email card is free. lol

But how are you going to put a $5 bill in an email card?

13USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 2:06 pm

Nekochan wrote:
Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

But how are you going to put a $5 bill in an email card?

LOL... that's exactly what I thght.

14USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 2:41 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Slicef18 wrote:

On second thought....I would assume businessmen would have a PO Box to receive payments/mail. By the time you receive your Saturday mail...the banks are closed and the checks can not be posted to your account until Monday.

15USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 2:47 pm

The USPS prices need to be commensurate with Fed-ex and UPS. The last time I checked, the USPS prices were much lower. Sure, there's waste in the system, but I can see why they're losing money.

I don't hate junk mail. It's a nuisance, but it isn't like a phone ringing that is an irritant. When I check the mailbox, it is done at my convenience and not at the telemarketers.

16USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 2:53 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan's comment about how to deliver the $5 is just another part of the whole issue of how we use money.

My bank has just decided to close all it's Pensacola branches. So now I've had to move to another bank.
So now I learn for the first time that brick and mortar banks no longer provide free checks for new checking accounts, only with accounts where that's been grandfathered in. Wells Fargo wants $25 for checks. To somebody who has never ever had to buy checks that gave me culture shock which I conveyed to the nice woman opening my account.
So she then tells me "you don't really need to use checks anymore, I haven't used checks in nine years". And then explains "bill pay" to me.
I had heard the term but thought it mean automatic electronic withdrawal which I don't always like because once an automatic withdrawal has been made to pay a bill (especially credit card bill), that means they've got my money before I can file a dispute if need be.
I didn't know what "bill pay" exactly is. It don't mean that. When I use bill pay I choose the time the payment is made. And I've now used it several times already and it's so convenient to use that it's actually easier than writing a damn check and stuffing it in an envelope and mailing it. Plus I don't have to pay for a stamp.

The bottom line is I will probably never buy and use checks ever again.

17USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 3:19 pm

Sal

Sal

If Congress would get out of the way and allow the USPS to innovate, set its own rates, and make its own business decisions independently, it would be just fine.

Instead, they've sought to actively sabotage the service by forcing them to fund up front pensions and health care costs for retirees decades down the road.

It's all part of the privatize everything philosophy.

Generations of taxpayers have been investing in this service, and now they want to let a private company come in and reap the benefits without having made the investments, Mitt Romney style.

FedEx and UPS are licking their chops.

The silver-lining in all of this is that once privatization is completed, it means no local delivery of Soldier of Fortune to RR13, Bumfuck, ND, for less than $30.00.

18USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 4:41 pm

Slicef18

Slicef18

When I was a small lad, mail was delivered twice a day.

19USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 5:21 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Sal wrote:If Congress would get out of the way and allow the USPS to innovate, set its own rates, and make its own business decisions independently, it would be just fine.

Instead, they've sought to actively sabotage the service by forcing them to fund up front pensions and health care costs for retirees decades down the road.

It's all part of the privatize everything philosophy.

Generations of taxpayers have been investing in this service, and now they want to let a private company come in and reap the benefits without having made the investments, Mitt Romney style.

FedEx and UPS are licking their chops.

The silver-lining in all of this is that once privatization is completed, it means no local delivery of Soldier of Fortune to RR13, Bumfuck, ND, for less than $30.00.

Sal, there is no place named that in ND. jocolor I agree that the push to end the postal service is motivated by a desire on the part of Republicans, who think the answer to absolutely everything is privatization and who receive big bucks from UPS and Fedex. So the Congress, under the Bush administration, voted to require postal service pensions to be funded 75 years into the future.

20USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 5:58 pm

Sal

Sal

Floridatexan wrote:
Sal, there is no place named that in ND. jocolor I agree that the push to end the postal service is motivated by a desire on the part of Republicans, who think the answer to absolutely everything is privatization and who receive big bucks from UPS and Fedex. So the Congress, under the Bush administration, voted to require postal service pensions to be funded 75 years into the future.

I worked for UPS about twenty-five years ago.

They were grooming me for management, and part of my training included attending several seminars at a hotel near the airport regarding their efforts to lobby Washington to privatize the USPS.

One thing I remember is that they gave us a list of the Congress people who were receptive to their scheme. At the time, there were only a handful of names on that list. Clearly, they've made a lot of progress.

21USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 6:00 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:Nekochan's comment about how to deliver the $5 is just another part of the whole issue of how we use money.

My bank has just decided to close all it's Pensacola branches. So now I've had to move to another bank.
So now I learn for the first time that brick and mortar banks no longer provide free checks for new checking accounts, only with accounts where that's been grandfathered in. Wells Fargo wants $25 for checks. To somebody who has never ever had to buy checks that gave me culture shock which I conveyed to the nice woman opening my account.
So she then tells me "you don't really need to use checks anymore, I haven't used checks in nine years". And then explains "bill pay" to me.
I had heard the term but thought it mean automatic electronic withdrawal which I don't always like because once an automatic withdrawal has been made to pay a bill (especially credit card bill), that means they've got my money before I can file a dispute if need be.
I didn't know what "bill pay" exactly is. It don't mean that. When I use bill pay I choose the time the payment is made. And I've now used it several times already and it's so convenient to use that it's actually easier than writing a damn check and stuffing it in an envelope and mailing it. Plus I don't have to pay for a stamp.

The bottom line is I will probably never buy and use checks ever again.

Bill pay is easy and I use it on most of my bills. And you're right, paper checks aren't a necessity anymore. But I still have paper checks. Some things I pay by paper check, like magazine subscriptions. I am just old and slow to change, lol. We do most of our banking with Navy Federal and we haven't lived close to a Navy Federal Branch in 10 years.

Slice, I remember twice a day newspapers but I didn't know about twice a day mail!

22USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 6:07 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

I haven't had a checking account in over a decade.

23USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 6:10 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

I understand doing without paper checks, but how do you get by without a checking account?

24USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 7:10 pm

knothead

knothead

Bob wrote:I'll let you in on something about the price increase. It's not just a penny on a first class letter.
I'm a collectible record dealer who only does mail order. The market for the stuff I sell is Europe and Japan. For years I've been able to mail a 45 RPM record internationally for about $6.
When the price hikes took effect in January that price went from $6 to $12. A fricking 100% overnight increase.
What does that do to me? Well it eliminates the sale of a lot of lower priced items because the percentage of mailing cost is now more than can justify the transaction.

I still have original 45's from Sun records of Elvis in his early recordings!

25USPS Ends Saturday Delivery Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 7:39 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Slicef18 wrote:

When I was a small lad, mail was delivered twice a day.

When i was young the Pensacola News Journal had a morning and evening paper. Now, they don't print enough news to have one decent paper.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum