Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

USPS Ends Saturday Delivery

+7
Floridatexan
Sal
Nekochan
ZVUGKTUBM
Joanimaroni
Hospital Bob
Slicef18
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 7:45 pm

catfriedlegs

knothead wrote:

I still have original 45's from Sun records of Elvis in his early recordings!

Pictures please! Would LOVE to see them! Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Maybe knothead can make a new thread about his records. I'm a record collector too. Very Happy

27USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 9:16 pm

knothead

knothead

Azadeh wrote:
knothead wrote:

I still have original 45's from Sun records of Elvis in his early recordings!

Pictures please! Would LOVE to see them! Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Maybe knothead can make a new thread about his records. I'm a record collector too. Very Happy

Record collector? No, but what I do have are not for sale or trade. They range from Jerry Lee Lewis, Big Bopper, Richie Valens, and of course my fav Elvis!

28USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 11:29 pm

Nekochan wrote:
Bob wrote:Nekochan's comment about how to deliver the $5 is just another part of the whole issue of how we use money.

My bank has just decided to close all it's Pensacola branches. So now I've had to move to another bank.
So now I learn for the first time that brick and mortar banks no longer provide free checks for new checking accounts, only with accounts where that's been grandfathered in. Wells Fargo wants $25 for checks. To somebody who has never ever had to buy checks that gave me culture shock which I conveyed to the nice woman opening my account.
So she then tells me "you don't really need to use checks anymore, I haven't used checks in nine years". And then explains "bill pay" to me.
I had heard the term but thought it mean automatic electronic withdrawal which I don't always like because once an automatic withdrawal has been made to pay a bill (especially credit card bill), that means they've got my money before I can file a dispute if need be.
I didn't know what "bill pay" exactly is. It don't mean that. When I use bill pay I choose the time the payment is made. And I've now used it several times already and it's so convenient to use that it's actually easier than writing a damn check and stuffing it in an envelope and mailing it. Plus I don't have to pay for a stamp.

The bottom line is I will probably never buy and use checks ever again.

Bill pay is easy and I use it on most of my bills. And you're right, paper checks aren't a necessity anymore. But I still have paper checks. Some things I pay by paper check, like magazine subscriptions. I am just old and slow to change, lol. We do most of our banking with Navy Federal and we haven't lived close to a Navy Federal Branch in 10 years.

Slice, I remember twice a day newspapers but I didn't know about twice a day mail!

I've used online bill pay for everything for about 12 - 13 now... it's just easier, more convenient, you can set-up autopay for the things that are due in the same amount and same day each month... I like it.

HOWEVER... I always used the local credit union until right before we moved to the Pensacola area. At the time we had a little BofA branch inside one of the local grocery stores. Knowing that there were BofAs where we were moving AND where we might next be transferred (or pretty much anywhere we might have to go next if we couldn't come home), we got an account there and switched everything over.

All was well until I moved home a year ago. The little branch inside the local grocery had closed and the closest branch was 1-1/2 hours away... I should rephrase: The closest ATM was 1-1/2 hours away. Every time I received a paper check (which was more often than I would have imagined), I had to drive all the way down to the city to make the deposit. SO ANNOYING. I inquired @the grocery if there were any plans to reopen the BofA branch and was told there was, so I waited. A couple of months ago, they finally installed an ATM machine inside the grocery, which works perfectly fine for me. You'd better believe there is always a really long line unless it's late at night or very early in the morning, though.

All that said, there are people (my parents and granny being three of them) who absolutely will not use online bill pay or even ATMs (if they can avoid it at all). All three of them go into the branch to do all of their banking, and don't even have logins or online accounts for their banking because they believe that it is unsafe and insecure. I don't waste my breath trying to convince them otherwise... it's their way, and they feel happy and safe doing it their way. I feel happy and safe doing it my way. People are different, and that's part of what makes the world go 'round.

29USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 11:43 pm

Markle

Markle

Monday, Wednesday, Friday would be fine. Close half the branches and quit losing money.

30USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/6/2013, 11:54 pm

Markle wrote:Monday, Wednesday, Friday would be fine. Close half the branches and quit losing money.

I think that before they did so they would need to encourage people to sign up for (and encourage their customers to sign up for) eBilling, online billpay, autopay, and those sorts of things... particularly small business owners.

That schedule certainly wouldn't bother me... I hardly get any mail at all because everything that CAN be IS on eBilling. I read 95+% of my news &c on the internet and only rcv two magazines each month. So... there's not much left!

But as someone before me mentioned, I think this would really effect the small business owner, and god knows those guys have it rough enough already as it is.

31USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/7/2013, 12:09 am

When i was young the Pensacola News Journal had a morning and evening paper. Now, they don't print enough news to have one decent paper.

Correct..... the Journal was the Morning Paper and the News was the afternoon or evening paper. In 1956 I think it was 35 cents for the Journal only or 60 cents for the combation. Very few people bought just the evening paper. As a paper boy the PNJ billed you and you had to pay your bill on saturday morning around noon. Anything you made over you "Bill" was your profit. One of my routes was a small one #504 I think I could make about 14 to 18 dollars a week. Not bad for a small route. We folded the paper into a "Star" so we could throw them. Sundays paer was too big to fold so we had to "Roll" them with a rubber band. If anyone is intrested I will show you how to "fold" a newspaper. LOL

32USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/7/2013, 12:14 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

hallmarkgrad wrote:When i was young the Pensacola News Journal had a morning and evening paper. Now, they don't print enough news to have one decent paper.

Correct..... the Journal was the Morning Paper and the News was the afternoon or evening paper. In 1956 I think it was 35 cents for the Journal only or 60 cents for the combation. Very few people bought just the evening paper. As a paper boy the PNJ billed you and you had to pay your bill on saturday morning around noon. Anything you made over you "Bill" was your profit. One of my routes was a small one #504 I think I could make about 14 to 18 dollars a week. Not bad for a small route. We folded the paper into a "Star" so we could throw them. Sundays paer was too big to fold so we had to "Roll" them with a rubber band. If anyone is intrested I will show you how to "fold" a newspaper. LOL

I tried to fold a paper a year or so ago in a star...and could not figure it out.
My brother and a neighbor boy had routes in East Hill....they would sit outside of J's Bakery and fold the papers.

33USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/7/2013, 12:19 am

I will pick up a paper tomorrow and snap a couple of pics. on how to do it. Eyes getting tired tonight, stay tuned....

34USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/7/2013, 9:52 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

riceme wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Bob wrote:Nekochan's comment about how to deliver the $5 is just another part of the whole issue of how we use money.

My bank has just decided to close all it's Pensacola branches. So now I've had to move to another bank.
So now I learn for the first time that brick and mortar banks no longer provide free checks for new checking accounts, only with accounts where that's been grandfathered in. Wells Fargo wants $25 for checks. To somebody who has never ever had to buy checks that gave me culture shock which I conveyed to the nice woman opening my account.
So she then tells me "you don't really need to use checks anymore, I haven't used checks in nine years". And then explains "bill pay" to me.
I had heard the term but thought it mean automatic electronic withdrawal which I don't always like because once an automatic withdrawal has been made to pay a bill (especially credit card bill), that means they've got my money before I can file a dispute if need be.
I didn't know what "bill pay" exactly is. It don't mean that. When I use bill pay I choose the time the payment is made. And I've now used it several times already and it's so convenient to use that it's actually easier than writing a damn check and stuffing it in an envelope and mailing it. Plus I don't have to pay for a stamp.

Bill pay is easy and I use it on most of my bills. And you're right, paper checks aren't a necessity anymore. But I still have paper checks. Some things I pay by paper check, like magazine subscriptions. I am just old and slow to change, lol. We do most of our banking with Navy Federal and we haven't lived close to a Navy Federal Branch in 10 years.

Slice, I remember twice a day newspapers but I didn't know about twice a day mail!

I've used online bill pay for everything for about 12 - 13 now... it's just easier, more convenient, you can set-up autopay for the things that are due in the same amount and same day each month... I like it.

HOWEVER... I always used the local credit union until right before we moved to the Pensacola area. At the time we had a little BofA branch inside one of the local grocery stores. Knowing that there were BofAs where we were moving AND where we might next be transferred (or pretty much anywhere we might have to go next if we couldn't come home), we got an account there and switched everything over.

All was well until I moved home a year ago. The little branch inside the local grocery had closed and the closest branch was 1-1/2 hours away... I should rephrase: The closest ATM was 1-1/2 hours away. Every time I received a paper check (which was more often than I would have imagined), I had to drive all the way down to the city to make the deposit. SO ANNOYING. I inquired @the grocery if there were any plans to reopen the BofA branch and was told there was, so I waited. A couple of months ago, they finally installed an ATM machine inside the grocery, which works perfectly fine for me. You'd better believe there is always a really long line unless it's late at night or very early in the morning, though.

All that said, there are people (my parents and granny being three of them) who absolutely will not use online bill pay or even ATMs (if they can avoid it at all). All three of them go into the branch to do all of their banking, and don't even have logins or online accounts for their banking because they believe that it is unsafe and insecure. I don't waste my breath trying to convince them otherwise... it's their way, and they feel happy and safe doing it their way. I feel happy and safe doing it my way. People are different, and that's part of what makes the world go 'round.

That is the one nuisance of not having a local branch--how to deposit checks. And I do receive paper checks at least once a month. I used to mail them in to NFCU headquarters in Virginia and they were pretty fast about getting them deposited into our account. But about a year ago they started allowing eDeposits. All you need is a scanner. I just sign and scan the check, front and back, and minutes later, $200 of it is in our account, available for use. By the next day, the entire amount is credited to our account. You might want to check and see if your bank offers eDeposit service. Heck, I'd use it even if I had a local branch. It's just that fast and easy.

35USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/7/2013, 2:19 pm

Pardon me, but I thought the USPS operations are under the purview of the US Congress. Oh, I forgot about the good-for-nothing, US Congress, which has failed to take action to address the USPS. Rolling Eyes

36USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/8/2013, 10:40 am

Slicef18

Slicef18

Nekochan wrote:

FDR started it in effort to put Americans to work after the "depression". It continued after WWII so GI's could have work when they came home.

37USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Empty Re: USPS Ends Saturday Delivery 2/8/2013, 5:32 pm

Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

Even if great granny uses email, there is nothing like opening a real card.
Maybe to granny. But for a cheapskate like me there is a big difference between an email card and a real card. The email card is free. lol

USPS Ends Saturday Delivery - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYdFDNAc1B7FX_2wl3h-V3VBjlPWCPH9bhPricp7xcJXWgGFf9nw

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwUh4irYpS8

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum