Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why are they so uppety?

+7
cool1
catfriedlegs
Yella
Markle
Joanimaroni
Jake92
gulfbeachbandit
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 4:14 pm

alecto wrote:
W_T_M wrote:"THANK YOU RICEME, I was beginning to think I was the only racially ignorant poster on this forum."

@ alecto....

Is your favorite bear the Panda...?

BTW...I caught you giving a shit again. Let this be a warning...LOL.

I must confess, I am currently in the process of trying to give a shit. Aw screw it I don't give a shit again. Twisted Evil

Bad experience with bears, don't like any of them.

You should probably take something for that. Does it hurt...?

As for bears, I'm fur 'um. Had a couple of encounters in Colorado on hiking trails, but cooler heads won out and they just moved on as if I wasn't even there.

Boy howdy did they luck out or what..?

77Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 4:18 pm

Yella wrote:I suppose I should said in my previous post that he stirs up people's emotions and causes a lively debate.

So does a KKK rally, but I'm also opposed to that, and not afraid to speak out.

78Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 4:25 pm

W_T_M wrote:
Naive is one thing....oblivious is a whole other deal.

Are you really saying you were so cloistered and insulated from an entire national movement including the assassination of MLK, the de facto leader of that wave of change...so much so you had never heard that offensive slur...?

That on the face seems improbable, but I spent my youth in Alabama, so my views are tainted by reality.

You can call me naïve, oblivious, ignorant or whatever you so choose. I'll paraphrase *you* here and say that I just don't give a shit.

You can go back and re-read my posts here and note that I *never* said (here nor anywhere else) that I am or was when we moved to the area, ignorant to "the entire national movement including the assassination of MLK, the de facto leader of that wave of change"... So yeah, not only is your statement on its face improbable, but it is untrue, not to mention an assumption on your part.

What I DID say is that the context in which I most often (very often, in fact) heard the term "uppity" was from my mom, telling my smartass sister not to get uppity with her. In fact, to my recollection that is the ONLY context in which I'd actually ever heard the term "uppity" in my personal life.

I took a lot of race-relations seminars and several courses while at university, but I would also call the small town in which I attended university yet another "White Town, USA," which accounts for my first 29-years on this planet having been spent in two different "White Towns" in the oh-so-liberal State of California.

Learning something in a classroom environment and actually *EXPERIENCING* it up-close and in-person with your own eyes and ears are entirely different animals, but I suspect that I really don't need to explain that to you. I think it is clear to most -- or possibly all -- other readers of this thread that I was recounting my first horrifying but educational ("Welcome to Pensacola!") experience with the subject language, and in NO WAY commenting on my own lack of education, knowledge and exposure as you perceive it to the relative and historical movement/s.

79Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 4:33 pm

alecto wrote:
THANK YOU RICEME, I was beginning to think I was the only racially ignorant poster on this forum.

Hey... I'm here to help, brother. lol.

I'd like to ask where you were born and raised, since we seem to be the resident ignorant dumbasses of the thread! Please feel free to respond via Private Message.

Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Biteme

80Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 4:38 pm

riceme wrote:
W_T_M wrote:

Are you really saying you were so cloistered and insulated from an entire national movement including the assassination of MLK, the de facto leader of that wave of change...so much so you had never heard that offensive slur...?

That on the face seems improbable, but I spent my youth in Alabama, so my views are tainted by reality.

You can call me naïve, oblivious, ignorant or whatever you so choose. I'll paraphrase *you* here and say that I just don't give a shit.

You can go back and re-read my posts here and note that I *never* said (here nor anywhere else) that I am or was when we moved to the area, ignorant to "the entire national movement including the assassination of MLK, the de facto leader of that wave of change"... So yeah, not only is your statement on its face improbable, but it is untrue, not to mention an assumption on your part.

What I DID say is that the context in which I most often (very often, in fact) heard the term "uppity" was from my mom, telling my smartass sister not to get uppity with her. In fact, to my recollection that is the ONLY context in which I'd actually ever heard the term "uppity" in my personal life.

I took a lot of race-relations seminars and several courses while at university, but I would also call the small town in which I attended university yet another "White Town, USA," which accounts for my first 29-years on this planet having been spent in two different "White Towns" in the oh-so-liberal State of California.

Learning something in a classroom environment and actually *EXPERIENCING* it up-close and in-person with your own eyes and ears are entirely different animals, but I suspect that I really don't need to explain that to you. I think it is clear to most -- or possibly all -- other readers of this thread that I was recounting my first horrifying but educational ("Welcome to Pensacola!") experience with the subject language, and in NO WAY commenting on my own lack of education, knowledge and exposure as you perceive it to the relative and historical movement/s.

So you had never heard that word (the N word) until after you were grown, married, and living here...?

OK. Face value says fine by me.

Have a nice day.

81Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 4:48 pm

W_T_M wrote:

So you had never heard that word (the N word) until after you were grown, married, and living here...?

Have a nice day.

I have repeated that now for you two or three times, and it is most certainly the truth. (And on that note, in addition to my above post, please feel free to call me a liar as well as everything else... Again: Just don't give a shit). What exactly about it is unclear, and why in the world would I react so very badly on that first occasion that I've accounted here?

Have a great day! sunny

82Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 4:50 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

riceme wrote:
Sal wrote:
My first experience with that phrase came when I was a child growing up in an upper-middle class neighborhood in Louisville, KY.

My grandmother had recently passed, and my grandfather came to live with us.

There was a rather wealthy black couple who lived next door.

He owned several radio stations and a newspaper that catered to the African-american community in Louisville.

He also drove a Mercedes.

One evening as we sat down to dinner, my grandfather remarked, "That's one uppity n**ger living next door."

My father looked at him and replied, "Well that's one uppity n**ger who could buy and sell your ignorant ass three times over."

It's a commonly known phrase among a certain generation and in a certain region of our country.

I love it... Good for your father, on SEVERAL counts!!

But yeah, I grew up in White Town, USA (which is what we used to jokingly call this place) and was simply never exposed to anyone who ever used that word before (nor any Black folks to speak of... there was ONE Black family here when I was growing up) on that first *enlightening* night we closed on our home in the Pensacola area. Clearly, I likely could not have been any more shocked than I was. It took place in the bread aisle at the grocery, and two men were essentially yelling, and high-fiving each other about how they sure had showed them mother-fucking niggers, had run them out of their neighborhood, and how them niggers would never be back to THEIR neighborhood. /HIGH FIVE/ ALL of it shocked me, but as a sidebar I was stunned that no one else at the grocery batted an eye at any of this. As I'd said, it was our first night in our new home, and we needed a few essentials, but I was so upset that I left my buggy right there in the bread aisle and raced home bawling, to my husband.

Following other, probably even more strange, experiences (one in particular), I grew accustomed to hearing the word from the Black community as well as from everyone else. While it was all monumentally unpleasant, it is one of the reasons for which I am glad that we took our promotions and transferred to Pensacola. It was a valuable education that was a long time coming.

I despise the N word...period...and I will not allow it to be used in my house, by anyone, whether they're black or not.

83Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 4:52 pm

riceme wrote:
W_T_M wrote:

Have a nice day.

I have repeated that now for you two or three times, and it is most certainly the truth. (And on that note, in addition to my above post, please feel free to call me a liar as well as everything else... Again: Just don't give a shit). What exactly about it is unclear, and why in the world would I react so very badly on that first occasion that I've accounted here?

Have a great day! sunny

mea culpa...

Here's a mountain chain I recently hiked over in Gulf Breeze.

Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 BFR_zpsc528a94a

I like the big weird one in the middle....Golden Peak.

84Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 4:56 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

riceme wrote:
W_T_M wrote:

good post

Riceme....I'm beginning to believe people that scream the loudest about others being racist possibly grew up as racist or in a racist environment. There has to be a logical reason for the obsession.

85Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 5:00 pm

Just like there has to be a reason why someone refuses to see racism, even when it's blatant and obvious.

Covert racism is OK, just tone it down a notch, right...?

I'll let you explain the difference to the rest of the racist trolls.

86Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 5:20 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

W_T_M wrote:Just like there has to be a reason why someone refuses to see racism, even when it's blatant and obvious.

You explain it...you seem to be the resident expert. Having grown up in a small Alabama town...you must have been surrounded by it, if not a part of it.

87Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 5:27 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
good post

Riceme....I'm beginning to believe people that scream the loudest about others being racist possibly grew up as racist or in a racist environment. There has to be a logical reason for the obsession.

Thank you, Joani.

You know that whole story in much more ugly detail, and I know you "get it." Not only that, but I was absolutely not raised in a racist environment, simply in a very small town in which there was a grand total of ONE Black family... same singular Black family with whom my mom and her brothers grew up with, who've been in this town since the late 1800s... then went on to university (chosen because my sisters were up there and it was the smallest university in California) where there were also very, very few Black folks.

I tend to be of the belief (but could be wrong) that those who scream the loudest likely grew up in a racist environment, as I prefer to give folks the benefit of the doubt... and growing up in a racist environment is certainly not the fault of a child.

88Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 6:30 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
W_T_M wrote:Just like there has to be a reason why someone refuses to see racism, even when it's blatant and obvious.

You explain it...you seem to be the resident expert. Having grown up in a small Alabama town...you must have been surrounded by it, if not a part of it.

I graduated HS in Mobile.

You must have been raised by wolves.

You couldn't be from around here because this area is saturated with racism both overt and covert, racist behavior, race baiting, white supremacist, KKK, and more than a few faux christians who see it as biblical. oy vey...

Yep...raised by wolves. That explains a lot.

89Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 6:33 pm

riceme wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
good post

Thank you, Joani.

You know that whole story in much more ugly detail, and I know you "get it." Not only that, but I was absolutely not raised in a racist environment, simply in a very small town in which there was a grand total of ONE Black family... same singular Black family with whom my mom and her brothers grew up with, who've been in this town since the late 1800s... then went on to university (chosen because my sisters were up there and it was the smallest university in California) where there were also very, very few Black folks.

I tend to be of the belief (but could be wrong) that those who scream the loudest likely grew up in a racist environment, as I prefer to give folks the benefit of the doubt... and growing up in a racist environment is certainly not the fault of a child.

Please don't conflate the issue for my sake. I didn't dispute your up-bringin' in an open-minded family. I only questioned you having never heard the N word. It just sounded implausible...that's all.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

90Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 6:42 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

riceme wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
good post

Thank you, Joani.

Especially knowing where and how you were raised it makes complete sense that you never heard the "N" word while growing up.

Some people just like to play the race card at every turn. But because there still is racism in the world, playing the race card at every turn does more harm for racial relations than it does good.

91Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 6:46 pm

Nekochan wrote:
riceme wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
good post

Thank you, Joani.

Especially knowing where and how you were raised it makes complete sense that you never heard the "N" word while growing up.

Some people just like to play the race card at every turn. But because there still is racism in the world, playing the race card at every turn does more harm for racial relations than it does good.

So you alilign yourself with ghandi's mindset.

Fine w/ me.

92Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 6:53 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

W_T_M wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
riceme wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
good post

Thank you, Joani.

So you alilign yourself with ghandi's mindset.

Fine w/ me.

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

93Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 6:58 pm

Go drown a puppy. You'll feel better in no time.

Covert racism it is...good choice for all the Stepford Girls.

Don't forget to clutch your pearls and say heaven's to betsy a whole lot. They love it at the tues nite bible study.

Helping you look foolish is way too easy.

94Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 6:59 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

W_T_M wrote:Go drown a puppy. You'll feel better in no time.

Covert racism it is...good choice for all the Stepford Girls.

Don't forget to clutch your pearls and say heaven's to betsy a whole lot. They love it at the tues nite bible study.

Helping you look foolish is way too easy.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

95Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 7:05 pm

Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Owned-fails-gallery-14_zps15d6785b

96Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 7:45 pm

W_T_M wrote:
riceme wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
good post

Thank you, Joani.

Please don't conflate the issue for my sake. I didn't dispute your up-bringin' in an open-minded family. I only questioned you having never heard the N word. It just sounded implausible...that's all.

This post was in response to Joani and referred back to a conversation we'd had only... mmm, yesterday or the day before. I was not conflating any issue, most certainly not for your sake.

As it seems that you think everything is about you I will explain my response to Joani for your benefit. Post (as in "after") above-referenced Pensacola-race-relations-education, in my presence and in front of my manager, my manager's manager, and two other senior managers where I worked at the time, my HR Manager (who was responsible for over 500 people, half of whom were Black folks) referred to a ball player as a "stupid nigger." No one else in the room flinched, but I went ballistic, and in front of his peers and all of my senior management, I very hotly and passionately ripped my HR Manager's ass... at length and in "colorful" language and detail.

While he was none too pleased with me when it all went down, some time later he told me that I'd been right, and while I'd embarrassed him at the time, he was glad that it had been me and not someone else, because he oh-so-easily could have (WOULD HAVE!) lost his job had it been nearly anyone else in the room besides me. Then he thanked me for lining his ass out.

And yes, I grew up in a TRULY SMALL TOWN with ONE Black family, and had never heard the word before my early 30s. Why else would I respond so very strongly on that first night we moved into our new home in the Pensacola area??

And why I feel I need to justify myself to you is a fucking mystery to me. I am a goddamned honest person, and I hate being accused of lying, or even the implication of it.

97Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 7:57 pm

riceme wrote:
W_T_M wrote:
riceme wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
good post

Thank you, Joani.

This post was in response to Joani and referred back to a conversation we'd had only... mmm, yesterday or the day before. I was not conflating any issue, most certainly not for your sake.

As it seems that you think everything is about you I will explain my response to Joani for your benefit. Post (as in "after") above-referenced Pensacola-race-relations-education, in my presence and in front of my manager, my manager's manager, and two other senior managers where I worked at the time, my HR Manager (who was responsible for over 500 people, half of whom were Black folks) referred to a ball player as a "stupid nigger." No one else in the room flinched, but I went ballistic, and in front of his peers and all of my senior management, I very hotly and passionately ripped my HR Manager's ass... at length and in "colorful" language and detail.

While he was none too pleased with me when it all went down, some time later he told me that I'd been right, and while I'd embarrassed him at the time, he was glad that it had been me and not someone else, because he oh-so-easily could have (WOULD HAVE!) lost his job had it been nearly anyone else in the room besides me. Then he thanked me for lining his ass out.

And yes, I grew up in a TRULY SMALL TOWN with ONE Black family, and had never heard the word before my early 30s. Why else would I respond so very strongly on that first night we moved into our new home in the Pensacola area??

And why I feel I need to justify myself to you is a fucking mystery to me. I am a goddamned honest person, and I hate being accused of lying, or even the implication of it.

Dittos.

BTW. I didn't call you a liar. You connected some dots and drew your own conclusion. I seriously thought you were being rhetorical when you first posted it.

Then I thought you were overly defensive.

Sorry I leapt to a conclusion. Maybe that word (liar) shouldn't be thrown around so much.

Luv' ya

98Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 8:33 pm

Jake92

I also grew up in a small town, 50 miles from NY City. There was 1 black family in the next town with 2 kids in our school system. We looked at them as normal kids just like we were. One brother was the quarterback and the other was the wide reciever on the HS football team. They grew up playing footyball and knew what the other was thinking and doing, so they were great on the team. One got drafted and went to Nam. He was also locked into the olympic team in track and field. The other graduated and went to college. The one that was in the army came home for Christmas and went shopping with one of his best friends and they got killed by a drunk driver on Christmas Eve. Another town 15 miles away had the black section which was nothing but run down buildings and trash all over the streets. It's also where most of the crime in the county happened. As long as I remember, we avoided that area. I heard the n word many times, but never really understood it. It was used by ALL races, not just the whites. After joining the navy, I was with a lot of black sailers and marines and ALWAYS felt discriminated against by BIG navy, which is the higher up's in Washington, DC.. The promotions went to 1/3 females, 1/3 Philipino's, and 1/3 everybody else. The major part of the racism I ever felt was from the orientals more than the blacks. If you asked them something you got the standard "no speakee English very well".. I have had many black friends and told a white female she found a hell of a man when she married a black guy I worked with.

99Why are they so uppety? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are they so uppety? 2/5/2013, 9:34 pm

Jake92 wrote:I also grew up in a small town, 50 miles from NY City. There was 1 black family in the next town with 2 kids in our school system. We looked at them as normal kids just like we were. One brother was the quarterback and the other was the wide reciever on the HS football team. They grew up playing footyball and knew what the other was thinking and doing, so they were great on the team. One got drafted and went to Nam. He was also locked into the olympic team in track and field. The other graduated and went to college. The one that was in the army came home for Christmas and went shopping with one of his best friends and they got killed by a drunk driver on Christmas Eve. Another town 15 miles away had the black section which was nothing but run down buildings and trash all over the streets. It's also where most of the crime in the county happened. As long as I remember, we avoided that area. I heard the n word many times, but never really understood it. It was used by ALL races, not just the whites. After joining the navy, I was with a lot of black sailers and marines and ALWAYS felt discriminated against by BIG navy, which is the higher up's in Washington, DC.. The promotions went to 1/3 females, 1/3 Philipino's, and 1/3 everybody else. The major part of the racism I ever felt was from the orientals more than the blacks. If you asked them something you got the standard "no speakee English very well".. I have had many black friends and told a white female she found a hell of a man when she married a black guy I worked with.

Woah dude. That sound's like reversible racism.

So, how long have you been a marginalized white male....?

I'm guessing it was when black folk were introduced into your sanitized for your protection world.

System sucks, huh chief...?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum