Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Catholic High School

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Catholic High School Empty Catholic High School 11/24/2012, 9:27 pm

nadalfan

I wondering what you may know about about CHS...academics, athletics? I've heard some things, but sometimes you don't know what people's motivations are.
I would appreciate any information anyone has.
thanks

2Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/24/2012, 10:32 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

nadalfan wrote:I wondering what you may know about about CHS...academics, athletics? I've heard some things, but sometimes you don't know what people's motivations are.
I would appreciate any information anyone has.
thanks
Catholic high is a very good school. It has and has had a very high percentage of students that chose to continue their education....some years it was as high as 99% of the senior class.
http://pensacolachs.org/academics.cfm?subpage=66308
Great baseball and golf team.

3Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/24/2012, 10:57 pm

Lisa12

My son is a junior there now. We are very happy with it. Do you have any specific questions?

4Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/24/2012, 11:29 pm

Well, the athletics ought to be quite excellent as they recruit 5A and 6A talent, but get to play on the 3A level.

The academics at a public school for those who apply themselves and take full advantage of the AP/Honors/Dual Enrollment courses are just as good. The only difference is that Catholic can turn kids away and the public school cannot. I think the IB kids are the cream of the crop though and they attend Pensacola HS drawing Santa Rosa and Escambia kids.

5Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/24/2012, 11:37 pm

Lisa12

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Well, the athletics ought to be quite excellent as they recruit 5A and 6A talent, but get to play on the 3A level.

The academics at a public school for those who apply themselves and take full advantage of the AP/Honors/Dual Enrollment courses are just as good. The only difference is that Catholic can turn kids away and the public school cannot. I think the IB kids are the cream of the crop though and they attend Pensacola HS drawing Santa Rosa and Escambia kids.

My oldest went to Escambia as an Honors/AP student. He did, indeed, get an excellent education. However, all the BS that came along with that school was a factor in sending the younger one to Catholic. Both of my boys were accepted into the IB program, but neither chose to go there, due to several different factors.

6Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/24/2012, 11:41 pm

Lisa12 wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:Well, the athletics ought to be quite excellent as they recruit 5A and 6A talent, but get to play on the 3A level.

My oldest went to Escambia as an Honors/AP student. He did, indeed, get an excellent education. However, all the BS that came along with that school was a factor in sending the younger one to Catholic. Both of my boys were accepted into the IB program, but neither chose to go there, due to several different factors.

The education he earned that will serve him best is understanding the differences in people and how to get along with others coupled with his academics.

7Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/25/2012, 12:02 am

Lisa12

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Lisa12 wrote:

The education he earned that will serve him best is understanding the differences in people and how to get along with others coupled with his academics.

I don't disagree with that in general, but there was a point when it was just totally ridiculous. My understanding is that it is somewhat better now, but the younger one is a junior now and I am not willing to make him change midway. I will, however, say that most of the teachers in the Honors program at Escambia were the cream of the crop and my older son still stays in touch with some of them even now.

8Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/25/2012, 12:12 am

When I lived in the Pensacola area my very good friend's boy began acting up at home and at school and she looked into Pensacola Christian HS and Catholic, and she ended up enrolling he and his sister @Catholic. She and her ex-husband (who lives in Houston) could not have been more happy with that choice. They really helped to get him in-line by working with him in academics, getting him engaged in school activities and athletics, and by working closely with his family.

9Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/26/2012, 9:25 am

nadalfan

Lisa12 wrote:My son is a junior there now. We are very happy with it. Do you have any specific questions?
Does your son play sports? I've heard a lot about the baseball coach and heard that some athletes were treated more favorably than others, but not based on ability (not just in baseball). Sometimes you don't know why people say things like that; it could be sour grapes or it could be justified.

10Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/26/2012, 10:50 am

Sal

Sal

nadalfan wrote:
Does your son play sports? I've heard a lot about the baseball coach and heard that some athletes were treated more favorably than others, but not based on ability (not just in baseball).

Unfortunately, that sounds like about 90% of high schools sports programs.

11Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/26/2012, 11:42 am

nadalfan

Sal wrote:
nadalfan wrote:
Does your son play sports? I've heard a lot about the baseball coach and heard that some athletes were treated more favorably than others, but not based on ability (not just in baseball).

Unfortunately, that sounds like about 90% of high schools sports programs.
so true, sad, but true

12Catholic High School Empty Re: Catholic High School 11/26/2012, 11:47 am

Born_ n_ RaisedNPcola

By all means I would say enroll your child in CHS. I am a product of Catholic education (St Johns and CHS) and I can tell you that I am glad my parents sent me to Catholic schools. I received a great education and had great teachers all twelve years, well except for the nun in second grade Smile.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum