Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

In 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 15 people and wounded 23 more at Columbine High School. The destruction occurred despite the fact that there was an armed security officer at the school and another one nearby

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/columbine-armed-guards_n_2347096.html

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob a man with two "Judges"could kill 30 people before the initial panic was overcome and someone hit him with a chair....gun free zones invite attacks on innocent law abiding people...Every time I go to the VA hospital I have to leave my concealed carry behind...terrible feeling...but beats prison...you see I obey the law...

Even an armed guard isn't going to be able to stop a deranged killer everytime... but I'd rather have some chance.

That safe zone crap takes a special kinda stupid.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:Even an armed guard isn't going to be able to stop a deranged killer everytime... but I'd rather have some chance.

That safe zone crap takes a special kinda stupid.
I don't disagree with you. But until I learned about this I had a lot more confidence in it being one thing we could do to help prevent this sort of thing.
But since Klebold and Harris were students at Columbin, they of course would have been aware that an armed security guard was at the school. And that neither detered them from doing it OR prevented them from doing it. So I no longer have much faith in this being a solution.

Sal

Sal

Yeah, let's put a bunch of armed wannabe cops like Zimmerman in our schools.

What could go wrong?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But see, Sal, the problem is that just because the armed security is not a cure, that does NOT make the Feinstein gun control proposal a cure either.

Go for it, do what La Pierre and Feinstein both want. Put on those limited gun controls (and there will be no political will to take it any further), and put an armed guard in the schools, BUT DON'T try to convince me that it's going to do much to stop all this.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:But see, Sal, the problem is that just because the armed security is not a cure, that does NOT make the Feinstein gun control proposal a cure either.

Go for it, do what La Pierre and Feinstein both want. Put on those limited gun controls (and there will be no political will to take it any further), and put an armed guard in the schools, BUT DON'T try to convince me that it's going to do much to stop all this.

This is a situation that exposes the fallacy of your both-sides-do-it philosophy, Bob.

In the aftermath of the latest massacre, you have a plurality of Americans acknowledging the insanity and calling for sensible reform in both firearm restrictions and mental health services.

On the other hand, you have reactionary extremists screaming hysterically about how the gubament is coming for all their guns, the only answer to massacres like Newtown is, "MOAR GUNS!! MOAR GUNS!! MOAR GUNS!!!!", and sending gun and ammo sales soaring dangerously in their paranoia.

We need a serious discussion and solutions, but it's impossible to negotiate with maniacs.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

This is a situation that exposes the fallacy of your both-sides-do-it philosophy, Bob.
To the contrary, I think my "both-sides-do-it philosophy" is being reinforced by what we're discussing in this thread.

One side wants armed guards in the schools. Even though we already had that "solution" in place for the most notorious mass school shooting which has ever occurred and it accomplished nothing.

Then there's the other side. That side was best represented by Sen. Schumer on Meet the Press this morning.
After watching an interview of La Pierre, Schumer complained that La Pierre doesn't see guns playing any role in all this. He said it's like if La Pierre "was wanting to address lung cancer but is not wanting to include cigarettes in the discussion".
But Schumer's analogy is flawed. Because I could make another analogy which is more apropos. I could point out that the gun control Schumer and Feinstein are advocating is like "trying to cure lung cancer by banning Marlboros and Winstons but not all the other cigarettes that can and do cause lung cancer". lol

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sal how do you prevent this?.. The founding fathers seemed to think an armed population wouldn't be so easy to slaughter. History has proven that out. So would you rather lose a few dozen to a crazy person or a few million to a crazy government ?

In 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 15 people and wounded 23 more at Columbine High School. The destruction occurred despite the fact that there was an armed security officer at the school and another one nearby 40316910

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

In 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 15 people and wounded 23 more at Columbine High School. The destruction occurred despite the fact that there was an armed security officer at the school and another one nearby Einsat10

Hundreds of millions perished just like this!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Sal how do you prevent this?

I'm not convinced that we can prevent this. Our society seems to be producing more mass killers than it did in the past and I'm not smart enough to know why that is.
But common sense tells me that limiting ammo clips to 10 rounds is not gonna stop it. And common sense also tells me that having a security guard on one end of the school is not gonna stop the psycho from mowing down students and teachers on the other end of the school.

Last edited by Bob on 12/23/2012, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Give all the teachers tazers hatchets, spears pellet guns in a lock box...something beats huddling waiting to be shot.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Give all the teachers tazers or axes in a lock box...something beats huddling waiting to be shot.
I have no problem with teachers packing tazers. That might actually bring these shooting events to a close sooner and might prevent at least some of the casualties.
But my gun-lover friend has one motto that he always emphasizes. "Never bring a tazer or an axe to a gunfight".
Actually he said "never bring pepper spray to a gunfight" when I told him I'm now packing pepper spray whenever I'm in public. But his motto would apply to tazers and axes too. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

By the way, I bought one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pepper-Spray-Pen-HOT-OC-17-Police-Stregth-FRESH-/370707499329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564fe38941

I'm gonna try to smuggle it onboard the airplane when I fly to California next month. I would like to have that in my pocket when I get there.
But if the TSA recognizes what it is I may instead be taking a trip to the County Jail. Dunno. lol

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:By the way, I bought one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pepper-Spray-Pen-HOT-OC-17-Police-Stregth-FRESH-/370707499329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564fe38941

I'm gonna try to smuggle it onboard the airplane when I fly to California next month. I would like to have that in my pocket when I get there.
But if the TSA recognizes what it is I may instead be taking a trip to the County Jail. Dunno. lol

yeah i went through a dozen airports with one of those in my brief case in the leather pen holder...I pulled it out to write a letter one day and remembered I had it and of course was really glad I didn't get caught...I had completely forgotten it...

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:

To the contrary, I think my "both-sides-do-it philosophy" is being reinforced by what we're discussing in this thread.

One side wants armed guards in the schools. Even though we already had that "solution" in place for the most notorious mass school shooting which has ever occurred and it accomplished nothing.

Then there's the other side. That side was best represented by Sen. Schumer on Meet the Press this morning.
After watching an interview of La Pierre, Schumer complained that La Pierre doesn't see guns playing any role in all this. He said it's like if La Pierre "was wanting to address lung cancer but is not wanting to include cigarettes in the discussion".
But Schumer's analogy is flawed. Because I could make another analogy which is more apropos. I could point out that the gun control Schumer and Feinstein are advocating is like "trying to cure lung cancer by banning Marlboros and Winstons but not all the other cigarettes that can and do cause lung cancer". lol

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

From the WTF, whodathunkit files...

Pagasae • 18 hours ago −
Here is a real eye opener. Turns out the main lobbying group responsible for promoting the AR-15 assault weapon is based in Newtown, Ct. and the head of the place has been at the forefront of fighting lawsuits against the weapon. But that's not all; he has also been responsible for selling as many of these as possible. They are after all the best weapon with which to face the "zombie apocalypse." And that is straight from one of their advertisements. Now tell me the people who own these guns aren't sick, twisted, and just plain dumb as hell!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...

That post is addressing the article about Lawrence O'Donnel, (CS-obviously)
in which he deconstructs LaPierre's BS press conference.

O’Donnell, like many liberals who watched Friday’s press conference, was taken aback by LaPierre’s glibness and his rote refusal to acknowledge that his organization might have had any role in making heavy weapons too readily available. The half-hour spectacle, noted O’Donnell, “did not include a single word of apology.”
Raw Story (http://s.tt/1xzF9)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/22/odonnell-calls-nras-lapierre-a-lobbyist-for-mass-murderers/

Could it be that in his twisted logic, that kid was protesting the availability of the very weapons he used, and going out with a huge exclamation mark...a graphic demonstration of how dangerous it is to allow them to be mass marketed to goobers who fear the "zombie apocalypse".

My explanation is as good as any I've read up to now.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

W_T_M wrote:

Could it be that in his twisted logic, that kid was protesting the availability of the very weapons he used, and going out with a huge exclamation mark...a graphic demonstration of how dangerous it is to allow them to be mass marketed to goobers who fear the "zombie apocalypse".

Well if he did do that, wouldn't that theory be similar to the theory that "the government/illuminatti/trilateral commission/CIA" did it for the same reason?
To show us all how dangerous the weapons are so we'll support a ban on them?

Bob wrote:
W_T_M wrote:

Well if he did do that, wouldn't that theory be similar to the theory that "the government/illuminatti/trilateral commission/CIA" did it for the same reason?
To show us all how dangerous the weapons are so we'll support a ban on them?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Nope, but's that there's some real nice spinnin' if'n I ever seen it.

Two folk can't keep a secret, much less an entire wingnut section of our Government.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/columbine-armed-guards_n_2347096.html

Sorry, the article you cite does NOT state that there was an officer inside the school. Obviously there was one somewhere outside, in a parking lot more than 60 yards away.

The other was a motorcycle cop nearby, writing a ticket.

Now please list for us the mass shootings which have taken place in OTHER THAN SAFE, GUN FREE ZONES.

At approximately 11:24 a.m., a Jefferson County deputy sheriff arrived and began shooting at Harris and Klebold, distracting them from the injured Brian Anderson.[4] (Anderson escaped to the library and hid inside an open staff break room.) Harris fired a total of ten shots at the officer, who reported a Code 33 (officer in need of emergency assistance) to his colleagues. When his gun ran out of ammunition, Harris ran inside the school with Klebold. The duo moved along the main North Hallway, throwing pipe bombs and shooting at anyone they encountered. They shot Stephanie Munson in the ankle, although she was able to walk out of the school. The pair shot out the windows to the East Entrance of the school. After proceeding through the hall several times and shooting toward—and missing—any students they saw, Harris and Klebold went toward the West Entrance and turned into the Library Hallway.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/columbine-armed-guards_n_2347096.html

Sorry, the article you cite does NOT state that there was an officer inside the school. Obviously there was one somewhere outside, in a parking lot more than 60 yards away.

Now please list for us the mass shootings which have taken place in OTHER THAN SAFE, GUN FREE ZONES.

At approximately 11:24 a.m., a Jefferson County deputy sheriff arrived and began shooting at Harris and Klebold, distracting them from the injured Brian Anderson.[4] (Anderson escaped to the library and hid inside an open staff break room.) Harris fired a total of ten shots at the officer, who reported a Code 33 (officer in need of emergency assistance) to his colleagues. When his gun ran out of ammunition, Harris ran inside the school with Klebold. The duo moved along the main North Hallway, throwing pipe bombs and shooting at anyone they encountered. They shot Stephanie Munson in the ankle, although she was able to walk out of the school. The pair shot out the windows to the East Entrance of the school. After proceeding through the hall several times and shooting toward—and missing—any students they saw, Harris and Klebold went toward the West Entrance and turned into the Library Hallway.
I don't doubt that having it known that there's an armed security guard in a school will be a better situation than no armed security guard.
Probably have about the same effect on this as lowering the speed limit to 55 had on traffic fatalities. There will continue to be mass shootings.

bghlaw0371

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:

I don't doubt that having it known that there's an armed security guard in a school will be a better situation than no armed security guard.
Probably have about the same effect on this as lowering the speed limit to 55 had on traffic fatalities. There will continue to be mass shootings.

Unfortunately, there probably will be more of this. From Post Office employees going, well, Postal, to snipers in D.C., to this horrible event in CT. and the others, there is only so much law abiding citizens can do.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

bghlaw0371 wrote:

Unfortunately, there probably will be more of this. From Post Office employees going, well, Postal, to snipers in D.C., to this horrible event in CT. and the others, there is only so much law abiding citizens can do.
The psycho will find a way. All he has to do is carry his guns under his coat and walk into Gallery Night. Or put them in his ice cooler and carry that into the Blue Angels show at the beach. Or a thousand other locations like it which have no search or metal detectors on the way in.
And he can still do it when the Feinstein gun control becomes law.

Last edited by Bob on 12/23/2012, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

bghlaw0371

Bob wrote:
bghlaw0371 wrote:

The psycho will find a way. All he has to do is carry his guns under his coat and walk into Gallery Night. Or put them in his ice cooler and carry that into the Blue Angels show at the beach. Or a thousand other locations like it which have no search or metal detectors on the way in.

Exactly. I remember the sniper in California years ago shooting from the woods off of the interstate. Shooting randomly at drivers. No way to stop that.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

bghlaw0371 wrote:

Exactly. I remember the sniper in California years ago shooting from the woods off of the interstate. Shooting randomly at drivers. No way to stop that.

We probably should delete both this post and my last post. There are about a dozen people on this forum who we don't wanna give any ideas too. lol

bghlaw0371

Not too long ago there was a problem with people throwing rocks off of bridges onto the interstate. People lost their lives from a brick or rock through the windshield.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum