Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If you want to have a really good movie experience I can highly recommend this one.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Opened today...

If you want to have a really good movie experience I can highly recommend this one. 220px-Flight_film_poster

I've seen several movies at the theater in the last few weeks and all of them left a lot to be desired. Some were pure crap.
This one made up for all of that.
And if you want more than just my opinion, the audience gives it 85% on rotten tomatoes and Ebert gives it 4 out of 4 stars.

The previews looked good... thanks

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:The previews looked good... thanks
Even though it's definitely not the overriding theme of the movie, one aspect of this film (including one of the most remarkable sequences of filmmaking I've ever seen) is loosely based on a horrific true-life incident...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261#First_dive_and_recovery

Additionally, one reviewer says of Washington's role in this movie "No doubt whatsoever that Denzel Washington will be Oscar nominated, and likely win, for 'Flight.'" and that's exactly the thought that came to my mind as I was leaving the theater. Not to mention the support cast is also as good as it gets.
It's the work of filmmaker Robert Zemeckis who directed "Back to the Future".

Ebert says of the movie "it is nearly flawless".
This film was brilliantly conceived, written and executed. I don't think one frame of film could have been improved upon. It's times like this one that I really love a good movie. That's when movies provide a total escape and your mind never wanders from beginning to end.

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:Opened today...

If you want to have a really good movie experience I can highly recommend this one. 220px-Flight_film_poster

I've seen several movies at the theater in the last few weeks and all of them left a lot to be desired. Some were pure crap.
This one made up for all of that.
And if you want more than just my opinion, the audience gives it 85% on rotten tomatoes and Ebert gives it 4 out of 4 stars.

Denzel has never been in a movie that wasn't tremendous.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

[quote="Yella"]
Bob wrote:
Denzel has never been in a movie that wasn't tremendous.
This one is arguably the best acting he's ever done. And the best written dialogue he's ever been given. You'll like it, yella.

Sal

Sal

Thanks for the review, Bob. One question - is it worth paying the $s to see it on the big screen, or would it be just as enjoyable on my flat screen. There are some films that can only be appreciated in a theater, but with today's televisions, they are few and far between.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

salinsky wrote:Thanks for the review, Bob. One question - is it worth paying the $s to see it on the big screen, or would it be just as enjoyable on my flat screen. There are some films that can only be appreciated in a theater, but with today's televisions, they are few and far between.
A really good movie like this one can be enjoyed on either the big or little screen, Sal. But the plane crash sequence in this movie can only be fully appreciated while watching it on a theater screen with theater sound. And I say that even though I have a home theater with a 100" movie screen. Yes this one is well worth the price of a theater ticket.

It was pretty incredible Bob. Like you, I very much enjoyed it and I needed a break from my routine.

Your review is spot on...

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
salinsky wrote:Thanks for the review, Bob. One question - is it worth paying the $s to see it on the big screen, or would it be just as enjoyable on my flat screen. There are some films that can only be appreciated in a theater, but with today's televisions, they are few and far between.
A really good movie like this one can be enjoyed on either the big or little screen, Sal. But the plane crash sequence in this movie can only be fully appreciated while watching it on a theater screen with theater sound. And I say that even though I have a home theater with a 100" movie screen. Yes this one is well worth the price of a theater ticket.

Thanks for that, Bob.

Won't make it this weekend as I have doubleheaders this afternoon and tomorrow, but it definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy.

I'm really looking forward to the new Hobbit movie as well.

salinsky wrote:
Bob wrote:

Thanks for that, Bob.

Won't make it this weekend as I have doubleheaders this afternoon and tomorrow, but it definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy.

I'm really looking forward to the new Hobbit movie as well.

I find it interesting that all of a sudden you are trying to soften your persona by adding more comments on the everyday common threads.

I notice little things like that. Its a good thing, but still very interesting.

Ive always been intruiged with this group of people here. its like watching a grand play. The players will line up, get thier parts and the show is on.

Sal

Sal

Alkaia wrote:

I find it interesting that all of a sudden you are trying to soften your persona by adding more comments on the everyday common threads.

Ive always been intruiged with this group of people here. its like watching a grand play. The players will line up, get thier parts and the show is on.

My persona is what it is, Chrissy.

I'm not a shape-shifter like you.

I comment on what I find interesting, be it politics or anything else.

And, I'll continue to slap you silly as I see fit.

Thanks for your continued interest.

salinsky wrote:
Alkaia wrote:

My persona is what it is, Chrissy.

I'm not a shape-shifter like you.

I comment on what I find interesting, be it politics or anything else.

And, I'll continue to slap you silly as I see fit.

Thanks for your continued interest.

sure it is... LOL

and youll never be able to slap me silly small man. I'm sure you do find it fun to slap women though. It fits perfectly with your type. So, dream on...

Thanks, Bob. That sure does look like a good movie, and Denzel Washington is one helluva fine actor. Unfortunately I looked it up on Wikipedia and without providing a "spoiler alert" it revealed the entire plot, ending and all. I hate it when that happens. At any rate, I am now thinking of getting out of the ole hermit-house and making the long haul to town to see a movie tonight. I haven't been to a show since I lived in Milton and we went to the Rave in P'cola (off the 29, if I recall??). There were so many gangbangers and thugs, we never went back. Always meant to go to the Silverlight or whatever it was called over by the Crap Mall where you could drink beer and eat pizza while watching movies, but everytime we tried to see a show there we couldn't find anyplace close to park, and my husband refused to drop me in the front and leave me unattended, or to make me walk that far (which was ridiculous, but sweet).

We have a small theater in town (one of the theaters actually occupies my granny's old department store): $6 general admission, $4 kids and matinees (anything that starts before 1800 hrs). And they have the BEST popcorn EVER... and you can get actual REAL butter. And lots of it. That is a major bonus for me. Very Happy

My current options:

Wreck-it Ralph: Actually, not an option. I'm not much into "cartoons" since they wrecked 'em by going all digital and what have you. My friend asked me to go with him and his kids to see this today and I bowed-out.

Here Comes the Boom: ??

Seven Psychopaths: this has Christopher Walken and Tom Waits in it... How could this be bad?? Sounds funny: http://www.sevenpsychopaths.com/

Looper: ??

Or, I could wait til next week...

Alex Cross

Sinister

What say you, moviegoers? Because I am too cheap (out-cheaping even Bob on this one) to pay for cable, I never see or hear about new movies, so I'm totally at a loss here. Whatcha got? I sure wish Flight was playing here, dadgummit!

Incidentially, of all the movies that Denzel Washington has ever done, this one contains his first ever nude scene.

"Yes, I gave it all, more than I wanted to," Washington told USA Today of the revealing hospital scene. "We were going for it. I don't know if it was in the script like that. But once we got into it, we went for it. It's real." No body doubles here!

http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/denzel-washington-first-nude-scene-flight-175844537.html

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:Incidentially, of all the movies that Denzel Washington has ever done, this one contains his first ever nude scene.

"Yes, I gave it all, more than I wanted to," Washington told USA Today of the revealing hospital scene. "We were going for it. I don't know if it was in the script like that. But once we got into it, we went for it. It's real." No body doubles here!

http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/denzel-washington-first-nude-scene-flight-175844537.html

Interesting, GR. I assumed (and you know what they say about making assumptions!) that it was a frontal, but as the article states, it is a, umm... "buttal."

If you want to have a really good movie experience I can highly recommend this one. Hiney

From the article: Director Robert Zemeckis agreed that Washington "goes deep" in the role. "He has this gravitas. I couldn't imagine anyone else but [Washington] for that part. And he just nailed it beyond my expectations."

He sure is a great actor.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

riceme wrote:Unfortunately I looked it up on Wikipedia and without providing a "spoiler alert" it revealed the entire plot, ending and all.

The first time that happened to me (read the wiki page before seeing the movie) I was really disappointed. On every movie's wiki page, the whole movie story and plot and ending is revealed like that and without any spoiler warning. It's a pisser until you learn to avoid it.

Bob wrote:
riceme wrote:Unfortunately I looked it up on Wikipedia and without providing a "spoiler alert" it revealed the entire plot, ending and all.

The first time that happened to me (read the wiki page before seeing the movie) I was really disappointed. On every movie's wiki page, the whole movie story and plot and ending is revealed like that and without any spoiler warning. It's a pisser until you learn to avoid it.

I guess I simply see movies so rarely that I didn't realize that's how it's done there. Thanks for educating me... Noted.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum