Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I got this in email. Snopes isn't challenging it and I can't find it debunked elsewhere. If it's all true then Obama can kiss my ass.

+2
Slicef18
Hospital Bob
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:The number of his Air Force One flights is not why I'll be voting for someone else.
Of course it won't be. You'll be voting against one and wishing and hoping with all your heart that the other one will be different.
If the different one wins, get back to me in two years and tell me how your wishes and hopes have come true. If you can do that then I'll eat every word in this thread.
But if I was you I wouldn't wager on it.

Last edited by Bob on 10/22/2012, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

My point is, who the hell cares how many flights a particular president makes? No big deal.

That may be the single most emphatic expression of "apathy" I have ever read.

Why should I show any "apathy" over something that I have no interest in whatsoever. I just do not care and and it never crossed my mind when I fill in the circle on my ballot. As Neko said, it is not a reason for voting for or against a candidate.

But feel free to get yourself all worked up over much ado about nothing.

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 10/22/2012, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

No apathy at all blah blah blah
Another true believer. lol
I wish I had a nickel for every one of you.

Nekochan

Nekochan

[quote="Bob"]
Nekochan wrote:The number of his Air Force One flights is not why I'll be voting for someone else.
Of course it won't be. You'll be voting against one and wishing and hoping with all your heart that the other one will be different.
If the different one wins, get back to me in two years and tell me how your wishes and hopes have come true. If you can do that then I'll eat every word in this thread.
But if I was you I wouldn't wager on it.
[/quote

That sums it up pretty well.
I don't have a problem with this thread though.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

You true believers be sure to watch that debate tonight. And hang on every scripted memorized word. And for gods sake be sure to obsess on who madcow and hannity are telling you was the winner so you can announce it to us here tomorrow. lol

Bob wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

No apathy at all blah blah blah
Another true believer. lol
I wish I had a nickel for every one of you.

What am I supposed to be a believer in? I focus on issues that matter to me not something of no consequence at all and how many times a president flies in AF1 is certainly of no consequence to me.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob is a self proclaimed tightwad so I kind of understand where he's coming from. He's very careful with his own money and my guess is that Bob would be very careful with others' money.
But no matter who is in office, they're going to be spending hundreds of millions of our dollars on flying around the world. A few hundred million more or less doesn't matter much in the whole scheme of things. I guess to me, the question is: what return are we Americans getting on all that taxpayer money they're spending flying around trying to convince everyone what a great job they're doing?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here is the corroboration for the $179,000 per hour to operate that fucking thing...

Presidential travel as part of his job as head of state has traditionally been paid for by taxpayers, while political trips are to be covered by a candidate's campaign committee. When the two mix, the costs are to be split. Reimbursements are generally reported to the Federal Election Commission, which mandates that any political travel must be reimbursed.

How those costs are broken down, though, appears murky.

"It's very opaque," Meredith McGehee, policy director of the nonpartisan Campaign Legal Center, told The New York Times. "You're kind of left in the position of, 'Trust us; we're doing it right.' "

Indeed, officials at the Obama White House, the Chicago campaign headquarters and the Democratic National Committee declined to say how they decide which events are political and how much to reimburse, The Associated Press has reported.

But Obama is not the only president whose campaign machine does not disclose how travel costs are divided. That secrecy has a tradition dating at least to the late 1970s.

"Most presidents have doubled up on trips [mixing official business with politicking] and said they followed the law, which is a complex formula no one really understands," Brendan Doherty, a political science professor at the U.S. Naval Academy and author of "The Rise of the President's Permanent Campaign" told ABC News. "And even on a fully political trip, the taxpayer ends up paying part of the bill.

"I've never been able to find anything concrete, so we never know the bottom-line cost of any presidential trip," Doherty told The Washington Times.

Actually, Obama is the first president to pay for re-election travel under updated rules adopted by the FEC in 2009, AP reported.

Instead of repaying the government based on the cost of first-class commercial airfare, reimbursements must now reflect the cost of chartering a Boeing 737. A campaign doesn't have to pay the full cost for a chartered plane, though, AP noted. It pays a reduced amount based on the number of people aboard Air Force One who were traveling for political reasons. That number excludes Secret Service agents and other support staff who always travel with a president.

The cost to charter a 737, while more expensive than the first-class commercial formula, doesn't even come close to covering the operating cost of Air Force One. That 747 costs $179,750 per flight hour alone in fiscal year 2012, Maj. Michelle Lai of the 89th Airlift Wing told ABC News.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2012-06-16/story/fact-check-air-force-one-incumbent-presidents-perk-paid-citizens#ixzz2A2bviLie

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

In other words, since the whole shebang is running on borrowed money, your grandchildren are being saddled with the lion's share of the bill for these assholes to fly around willy nilly in that palace on wings while they spend months raising hundreds of millions of dollars for vote getting.
Some presidential duty that is. There's not a Roman Emperor who would not be envious.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:In other words, since the whole shebang is running on borrowed money, your grandchildren are being saddled with the lion's share of the bill for these assholes to fly around willy nilly in that hotel with wings while they spend months raising hundreds of millions of dollars for vote getting.
Some presidential duty that is.

Yea, it's a racket. It's one reason why the incumbent has such an advantage. But if they (and I mean all of them, not just Obama) delivered on their promises, the grandchildren wouldn't be stuck with the bill.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:Bob is a self proclaimed tightwad so I kind of understand where he's coming from. He's very careful with his own money and my guess is that Bob would be very careful with others' money.
But no matter who is in office, they're going to be spending hundreds of millions of our dollars on flying around the world. A few hundred million more or less doesn't matter much in the whole scheme of things. I guess to me, the question is: what return are we Americans getting on all that taxpayer money they're spending flying around trying to convince everyone what a great job they're doing?

I was begat by the Depression generation. The same generation which included this individual. Read it and learn something about your history. And tell me he aint turning over in his grave if he's seeing what is passing for political leadership nowadays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truman_Committee

Bob wrote:You people who keep worshipping one or the other of these sorry politicians who act like kings make me fucking sick. I don't give a damn if it's obama or romney or bush. Or those bastards and bitches in the congress. All of them suck big time. Get your heads out of the sand.
And no, seaoat, this election does not mean a goddamn thing. It aint gonna change nuthin.

Amen Bob, you're right nothing will change in the next 4 years regardless of the outcome of the election. People who think Romney is going to throw out Obamacare are wrong, it may be tweaked and the mandate you have to purchase put aside, but probably nothing else.

Sal

Sal

I happened to be driving through downtown Orlando Friday night. I was on the 74A exit ramp of I4 about 5 cars from the intersection, when suddenly there came an avalanche of motorcycle cops who shut down the ramps, the parking lots of the nearby business, and every other access and then cleared the street. We just sat for 45 minutes until a caravan of about a dozen motorcycle cops, about 10 SUVs, and one very heavy duty black SUV with blacked out windows and flags on the fenders whisked by. We sat another 15-20 minutes and then the same caravan came through going in the opposite direction. Never did find out who it was, though Ol' Handsome Joe was traveling the state, so that's a good bet. Don't know if he got off the interstate for a latte from Starbucks or what. Wonder how much that parade cost?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

salinsky wrote: Wonder how much that parade cost?
Probably more than we can even conceive of. Probably more than all the Roman Emperors' chariots combined.
Give me my Prius any old day. I wouldn't wanna be caught dead in anything as pompous and egotistical as all that. And as far as I'm concerned, anyone who does has his screws loose. Especially when he aint payin for it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum