Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

China has left over women...who knew ?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/opinion/global/chinas-leftover-women.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1&

Pretty girls don’t need a lot of education to marry into a rich and
powerful family, but girls with an average or ugly appearance will find
it difficult. These kinds of girls hope to further their education in
order to increase their competitiveness. The tragedy is, they don’t
realize that as women age, they are worth less and less, so by the time
they get their M.A. or Ph.D., they are already old, like yellowed
pearls.

After knocking some good sense into those misguided women who pursue a
higher education, the column accuses educated, single women of sleeping
around and having degenerate morals:

Many highly educated “leftover women” are very progressive in their
thinking and enjoy going to nightclubs to search for a one-night stand,
or they become the mistress of a high official or rich man. It is only
when they have lost their youth and are kicked out by the man, that they
decide to look for a life partner. Therefore, most “leftover women” do
not deserve our sympathy.

That is one of the most awful articles I have read in quite a while, T. Aside from the high points you listed, here are a couple more:

• In 2007, the Women’s Federation defined “leftover” women (sheng nu) as unmarried women over the age of 27 and China’s Ministry of Education added the term to its official lexicon.

• The headlines scream like sensational tabloids: “Overcoming the Big Four Emotional Blocks: Leftover Women Can Break out of Being Single.” “Eight Simple Moves to Escape the Leftover Women Trap.” And my personal favorite: “Do Leftover Women Really Deserve Our Sympathy?”

• These eye-catching topics do not appear in supermarket-aisle gossip magazines. They are articles about single, professional women published on the Web site of China’s state feminist agency, the All-China Women’s Federation. The Communist Party founded the Women’s Federation in 1949 to “protect women’s rights and interests.”

(all emphasis is mine)

I cannot recall the last time I have ever been so grateful to live in the United States.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

It was a very disturbing story alright. Maybe Chinese men are more honest than American men. After all I know a lot of doctors that kicked their first wife that went through the hard years with him out and got themselves a young trophy wife. Not just doctors either. A lot of us have become throw a way people......it sucks.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:It was a very disturbing story alright. Maybe Chinese men are more honest than American men. After all I know a lot of doctors that kicked their first wife that went through the hard years with him out and got themselves a young trophy wife. Not just doctors either. A lot of us have become throw a way people......it sucks.

I know what you mean, T. I do not like, nor can I comprehend, the throw-away culture we have become as a people. It disgusts me.

Throw-away vehicles, throw-away homes, throw-away devices of all sorts, and... throw-away people. So sad.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

riceme wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:It was a very disturbing story alright. Maybe Chinese men are more honest than American men. After all I know a lot of doctors that kicked their first wife that went through the hard years with him out and got themselves a young trophy wife. Not just doctors either. A lot of us have become throw a way people......it sucks.

I know what you mean, T. I do not like, nor can I comprehend, the throw-away culture we have become as a people. It disgusts me.

Throw-away vehicles, throw-away homes, throw-away devices of all sorts, and... throw-away people. So sad.

So totally agree with both you and Teo but, maybe it explains why my ex was able to find a girl over there? Laughing

the govt in china perceives a threat or problem... most likely as a result of their one child policy.

this sort of propaganda is just an early manipulation of public sentiment. the progressives here started using this tactic over a hundred years ago to drive laws. the nazis picked that up and ran with it... you don't think the germans just woke up one morning ready to kill jews or conquer nations do you?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PkrBum wrote:the govt in china perceives a threat or problem... most likely as a result of their one child policy.

this sort of propaganda is just an early manipulation of public sentiment. the progressives here started using this tactic over a hundred years ago to drive laws. the nazis picked that up and ran with it... you don't think the germans just woke up one morning ready to kill jews or conquer nations do you?

I know Hitler learned his eugenics program from the American Margret Sanger

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
PkrBum wrote:the govt in china perceives a threat or problem... most likely as a result of their one child policy.

I know Hitler learned his eugenics program from the American Margret Sanger

it amazes me that people self identify as progressive... they can not know the entire history. much of what they know is limited to the propaganda spead all those years ago (labor laws, women's suffrage, banking regulations). they used real and noble concerns to justify govt solutions... but that rationalizing never ends... and ends up perverted. a law that can be agreed to by all would be very simple and very short... and it certainly wouldn't be a building block for govt control.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum