Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

One Mississippi..Two Mississippi.. F U Mississippi!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Telstar

Telstar

Way to go Gov. Murphy of N.J. Maybe this will be the beginning of the second Civil War they talk about. Once again they will be crushed into dust and compost but this time the racist and traitors that pollute the rebel states will not have statues erected to honor them. This time they will be hung from trees until their bodies rot and turn black while their lying tongues swell in the sun and the vultures and the crows strip their flesh from their bones. If the south wants to do it again good! This time it will be done to them a thousand times harder than it was the last time. May God have mercy on their worthless souls. Twisted Evil

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy orders Mississippi flag removed from state park over Confederate imagery

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy had the Mississippi state flag removed from a park near the Statue of Liberty on Friday because it bears the Confederate battle emblem.

Mr. Murphy, a first-term Democrat, ordered that the U.S. flag replace Mississippi’s on Freedom Way in Liberty State Park where the flags of all 50 states are usually flown.

“New Jersey’s strength is rooted in our diverse communities,” Mr. Murphy said. “The Confederate symbol displayed on the Mississippi state flag is reprehensible and does not reflect our values of inclusivity and equality.”

First adopted in 1894, the Mississippi flag contained the Confederate battle emblem in its upper-left corner alongside horizontal blue, white and red stripes. It was repealed as the state flag in 1906, but the lack of a replacement has left it in de facto use for more than a century.

Mr. Murphy credited the decision to state Sen. Sandra Cunningham, a Democrat representing Jersey City where the park is located across from Ellis Island.

“The Confederate flag symbolizes an era of hate, violence and division,” Ms. Cunningham said. “I thank Governor Murphy for his commitment to tolerance and equality and for the decision to remove this hateful symbol from Liberty State Park. Hate has no home in New Jersey.”

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant, a Republican, said he was “disappointed” by Mr. Murphy’s decision. “As I have repeatedly said, the voters of Mississippi should decide what the state flag is or is not,” Mr. Bryant said in a statement.

Mississippians voted in a statewide referendum in 2001 to retain the previously repealed flag. Georgia adopted a new state flag two years later, making Mississippi the only state in the country that still has a Confederate symbol on its state flag.

More than a century of efforts to eradicate tributes to the former Confederacy gained steam in recent years after the flag became connected with murders that took place in Charleston, South Carolina, and Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2015 and 2017, respectively.

Dylann Roof posed in photographs with the Confederate flag prior to being convicted of fatally shooting nine people in a black church in Charleston, and James Alex Fields Jr. was found guilty of murdering a woman in Charlottesville after traveling from Ohio to attend a rally held in support of a Confederate statue.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/apr/27/phil-murphy-nj-governor-orders-mississippi-flag-re/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I feel sorry for zsomething, having to live with this POS for a governor:

One Mississippi..Two Mississippi.. F U Mississippi! 635893957977407343-Bryant-120214-copy

Mississippi has passed anti-gay legislation, apparently at the governor's behest. He recently stated that he's prepared to be crucified for his beliefs...I say he goes first.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Let's also give a shout-out to one of Mississippi's senators:

By Waverly McCarthy | November 11, 2018 at 3:34 PM CST - Updated November 12 at 8:48 AM
TUPELO, MS (WLBT) - Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith has released a statement regarding a comment she made that if the cattle rancher she was campaigning with “invited me to a public hanging, I’d be on the front row.”
“In a comment on Nov. 2, I referred to accepting an invitation to a speaking engagement. In referencing the one who invited me, I used an exaggerated expression of regard, and any attempt to turn this into a negative connotation is ridiculous.”
Cindy Hyde-Smith
A video of the comment went viral Sunday.
In Smith’s statement, she says the video was filmed on Nov. 2.
“If he invited me to a public hanging, I’d be on the front row,” Hyde-Smith said surrounded by rancher Colin Hutchinson and supporters at the gathering in Tupelo.

http://www.wlbt.com/2018/11/11/any-attempt-turn-this-into-negative-connotation-is-ridiculous-sen-cindy-hyde-smith-releases-statement-public-hanging-comment/

An "exaggerated expression of regard"? Really? Some form of perverted Southern curtesy? We have just moved to Gulfport and I'm just now looking into the political practices in the state. This Hyde-Smith person is beyond the pale, just re-elected. Good grief!

RealLindaL

Condolences to othershoe and zsomething both.

Hubby and I were recently discussing whether or not we cared to move to someplace else, maybe where we could own our own taxable property instead of having it belong to faceless county citizens who derive no benefit from ownership except to joyfully lord it over us.

We briefly looked at one place near Ocala, where there's a large flying field for radio controlled aircraft (hubby's hobby). But the second thought for both of us was, nope, Ocala's one of the most conservative areas in the state of Florida, including its near neighbor, The Villages (the worst). Bad enough here! Can't even imagine Mississippi.

On the other hand, if there are people like zsomething and othershoe there, maybe there's hope for that state after all.

zsomething

I keep hoping that eventually the bad reaction our flag keeps getting will someday be enough to make even its stupid, stubborn defenders see that the damn thing just isn't worth it. Mississippi loses out financially because businesses don't want to move here because of that flag, and we get embarrassed nationally and look backward and spiteful because of the damn thing. We just got a new co-worker who said she was reluctant to come here because of our flag, which we assured her that most of us are fighting to get taken down. That flag serves no purpose other than to make us look dumb.

Even if someone thinks it's "historical" and were raised with some wrong ideas about the Civil War, if they're decent people the fact that our black friends, neighbors, and co-workers say they're offended by it should be enough to let people see, "Okay, let's ditch that and find a flag that we can all be proud of." Whether you think they should be offended by it is immaterial. It's spiteful to do something you don't have to do when it upsets a lot of people. Like, the swastika is actually a Buddhist sun-sign that the Nazis adopted and turned backwards. I could put a Buddhist sun-sign flag outside my house, and that shouldn't offend anybody since it's facing the other way, but... it would. And it'd be understandable that it would.

The arguments for keeping that dumb flag are ridiculous, anyway. "You're trying to bury history!" Bullshit. There are more books published in America about the Civil War than nearly any other topic. There are documentaries on TV all the time, there are museums, you can visit battlefields, etc. Nobody's "erasing history" by not displaying a flag or taking down a statue. Nothing has been expunged... we just don't need constant reminders. The Inquisition and Salem Witch Trials also happened, but we don't need statues of Torquemada or old women on ducking stools to remind us of it every day. I'm not sure why anybody wants to be constantly reminded of a poorly-chosen wrong-sided fight that they fucking lost, anyhow.

I get that some people think that flag means something different, "heritage" or some horseshit. I used to think that, too, and I had rebel flag tee-shirts in high school. I never thought all that deeply about it, just considered it a cool-looking sign of "rebellion," not against any particular person or race. I ditched them about the time I saw Neo-Nazis waving that flag around, because I decided, "Okay, whatever I mean by those tee-shirts, it now has another meaning, and one that I'm not in favor of and want no association with." And, later, I figured out that I'd had wrong ideas about the Civil War, anyway. You can be dumb, and you can wise up.

And it's long past time for a lot of people in Mississippi to wise up and ditch that dumb thing. At this point it's just a stupid struggle of spite on the part of a dying breed of dead-enders.

RealLindaL

Very well said as usual, zsomething. I find myself hoping somehow your wise and practical writings are shared well beyond the boundaries of this forum. I do my teeny tiny part by sharing with a few friends around the country, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to what your words could do, right there at home.

Wish you could find a big way to keep your light from hiding under a bushel.

zsomething

RealLindaL wrote:Very well said as usual, zsomething.  I find myself hoping somehow your wise and practical writings are shared well beyond the boundaries of this forum.  I do my teeny tiny part by sharing with a few friends around the country, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to what your words could do, right there at home.

Don't worry, I'm pretty mouthy about it locally, and I'm not the only one. Smile Getting me to shut up is a bigger problem than any bushels... Smile

There's a movement among college campuses in the state not to fly the flag on campus, because of the symbol. There's been a bit of contention about it.

I haven't really been following it much, but there's also a court fight now over the license plates in the state. Apparently the new ones have "In God We Trust" or "God Bless America" or some other religious sentiment on it... and if you don't want it on your plate you have to pay like $40 extra for a tag that doesn't have it. I'm an atheist but I'm also a cheapskate so it's not a big enough deal to me to worry about (although I may scratch it out) but a friend of mine's so pissed about it that he paid the extra money to get a hummingbird on his license plate instead. So now I'm pretending I hate hummingbirds and accusing him of being in a hummingbird cult, just to be obnoxious... Smile "That's a Jesus hummingbird!"

RealLindaL

zsomething wrote:I'm an atheist but I'm also a cheapskate so it's not a big enough deal to me to worry about (although I may scratch it out) but a friend of mine's so pissed about it that he paid the extra money to get a hummingbird on his license plate instead.   So now I'm pretending I hate hummingbirds and accusing him of being in a hummingbird cult, just to be obnoxious... Smile   "That's a Jesus hummingbird!"

Oooh, you're bad. Too funny.

Anyway, glad to know you're speaking out about the flag over there.
I've just shared your flag post with some folks and will share any comments it elicits.

Telstar

Telstar

zsomething wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Very well said as usual, zsomething.  I find myself hoping somehow your wise and practical writings are shared well beyond the boundaries of this forum.  I do my teeny tiny part by sharing with a few friends around the country, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to what your words could do, right there at home.

Don't worry, I'm pretty mouthy about it locally, and I'm not the only one. Smile  Getting me to shut up is a bigger problem than any bushels... Smile

There's a movement among college campuses in the state not to fly the flag on campus, because of the symbol.  There's been a bit of contention about it.

I haven't really been following it much, but there's also a court fight now over the license plates in the state.  Apparently the new ones have "In God We Trust" or "God Bless America" or some other religious sentiment on it... and if you don't want it on your plate you have to pay like $40 extra for a tag that doesn't have it.  I'm an atheist but I'm also a cheapskate so it's not a big enough deal to me to worry about (although I may scratch it out) but a friend of mine's so pissed about it that he paid the extra money to get a hummingbird on his license plate instead.   So now I'm pretending I hate hummingbirds and accusing him of being in a hummingbird cult, just to be obnoxious... Smile   "That's a Jesus hummingbird!"

Mississippi, the only state with a Confederate symbol in its flag, is offering a new flag design on license plates

Mississippians who'd like to display their state flag minus its Confederate imagery can rejoice in a newly approved specialty license plate.

The state's flag has long contained an image of the Confederate battle flag, also known as the Southern Cross. Mississippi is the only one of the United States with a flag featuring the Confederate symbol.

However, Gov. Phil Bryant signed a bill last week allowing a new license plate design featuring a revamped state flag by artist Laurin Stennis.

Stennis' design, done in 2014, eliminated the Confederate symbol. Instead, it features 19 stars in a circle around a large center star and a red stripe on either side.

Mississippi's flag has included the Confederate emblem -- a blue cross with 13 stars over a red background -- since 1894. Critics of the state flag say it's racist, while others believe it's a crucial part of the state's history.

The last time the state considered changing the flag was in 2001. However, 65% of voters chose then to keep the flag with the Confederate symbol instead of switching to 20 white stars on a blue field to represent Mississippi's status as the 20th state.

Several cities and public universities, including the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University, have ceased to fly the controversial state flag.

Stennis, who was born and raised in Mississippi, said she designed her flag after she felt she could not put up the official state flag because of its Confederate imagery.

"I feel happy and proud of my state, and I want us to be able to tell our story in a more complete way," she said.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/us/mississippi-flag-license-plate-trnd/index.html

RealLindaL

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/29/us/mississippi-state-flag-removed-from-liberty-park/

RealLindaL

zsomething wrote:

Don't worry, I'm pretty mouthy about it locally, and I'm not the only one. Smile  Getting me to shut up is a bigger problem than any bushels... Smile

As promised, zs, following are responses so far from those I've copied on your "wise and practical" flag position statement.

First of all, interestingly enough (well, at least to me), my son's reaction was pretty much the same as mine:

"If he’s not already, your friend should be submitting that to local papers or posting xeroxes in supermarkets, maybe without the expletives lol. I don’t think posting it to what I assume is a forum of likeminded people (or sending it to their likeminded sons) does much good, except make everyone feel cozy about being on the right side of an issue."

And, from a friend in Las Vegas:

"He’s got some good points there.  Thanks."

From one in Columbus:

"His writing is rough [referring to those expletives], but his thoughts are valid.  I like the Salem Witch trials comparison and the abundance of Civil War parks and literature.  Thanks for sharing."

And another in Miami:

"The guy sounds pretty straight forward and honest.  Nice to hear.  Most of us probably think of Mississippians as dumb rednecks.  
You don’t hear about too many standing up like this.  
Thanks for sending"

Lastly, an exchange from a friend near Portland, OR:

She:  "Good article. What is his name?"

Me:   "Sorry, I only have a screen moniker:   'zsomething'.”

She:  "Oh, funny."

OK, zs, so these are obviously "like-minded people" who all feel pretty "cozy" after reading your piece.   Just another reason to consider submitting your thoughts to newspapers or other broadcast venues if you haven't already done so.  Your mouthy self could really influence some minds, seems to me.

Last edited by RealLindaL on 5/1/2019, 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

zsomething

RealLindaL wrote:
zsomething wrote:

As promised, zs, following are responses so far from those I've copied on your "wise and practical" flag position statement.

First of all, interestingly enough (well, at least to me), my son's reaction was pretty much the same as mine:

"If he’s not already, your friend should be submitting that to local papers or posting xeroxes in supermarkets, maybe without the expletives lol. I don’t think posting it to what I assume is a forum of likeminded people (or sending it to their likeminded sons) does much good, except make everyone feel cozy about being on the right side of an issue."

From one in Columbus:

"His writing is rough [referring to those expletives), but his thoughts are valid.  I like the Salem Witch trials comparison and the abundance of Civil War parks and literature.  Thanks for sharing."

And another in Miami:

"The guy sounds pretty straight forward and honest.  Nice to hear.  Most of us probably think of Mississippians as dumb rednecks.  
Thanks for sending"

OK, zsso these are obviously "like-minded people" who all feel pretty "cozy" after reading your piece.   Just another reason to consider submitting your thoughts to newspapers or other broadcast venues if you haven't already done so.  Your mouthy self could really influence some minds, seems to me.

Coolness! Smile Thanks!

I like my expletives, though! I'm good with expletives. I try to be like Bob Ross, and obscenities are my paint. "Over here we have some fuckin' little trees..." Smile

There are a lot of people here who are against that flag, though... they just aren't writing online as much. I know plenty of people in Mississippi so liberal they make me look like William F. Buckley. Smile So, yep, we are here, we're just still outnumbered... for the time being. People are waking up, it's just a little tough to get a lot of Southerners away from "the way their daddy done." Conformity's pretty hardened here. But, it's eroding.

Telstar

Telstar

zsomething wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
zsomething wrote:

From one in Columbus:

"His writing is rough [referring to those expletives), but his thoughts are valid.  I like the Salem Witch trials comparison and the abundance of Civil War parks and literature.  Thanks for sharing."

And another in Miami:

Thanks for sending"

OK, zsso these are obviously "like-minded people" who all feel pretty "cozy" after reading your piece.   Just another reason to consider submitting your thoughts to newspapers or other broadcast venues if you haven't already done so.  Your mouthy self could really influence some minds, seems to me.

Coolness!  Smile   Thanks!  

I like my expletives, though!  I'm good with expletives. I try to be like Bob Ross, and obscenities are my paint.  "Over here we have some fuckin' little trees..."  Smile

There are a lot of people here who are against that flag, though... they just aren't writing online as much.  I know plenty of people in Mississippi so liberal they make me look like William F. Buckley. Smile   So, yep, we are here, we're just still outnumbered... for the time being.   People are waking up, it's just a little tough to get a lot of Southerners away from "the way their daddy done."   Conformity's pretty hardened here.  But, it's eroding.

Agreed. I haven't been on a Mississippi forum in years but checked one out yesterday. I was amazed how things had changed in only ten years or so. There are far more liberals posting than cons. Wasn't like that back in the day. It was like this page was if you look at the back pages. Top heavy with crazed cons screaming about the libtards. I even found this design for a new Mississippi flag. What do you think?

One Mississippi..Two Mississippi.. F U Mississippi! Miss_f10

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Telstar wrote:
zsomething wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
zsomething wrote:

From one in Columbus:

And another in Miami:

Thanks for sending"

I like my expletives, though!  I'm good with expletives. I try to be like Bob Ross, and obscenities are my paint.  "Over here we have some fuckin' little trees..."  Smile

There are a lot of people here who are against that flag, though... they just aren't writing online as much.  I know plenty of people in Mississippi so liberal they make me look like William F. Buckley. Smile   So, yep, we are here, we're just still outnumbered... for the time being.   People are waking up, it's just a little tough to get a lot of Southerners away from "the way their daddy done."   Conformity's pretty hardened here.  But, it's eroding.

Agreed. I haven't been on a Mississippi forum in years but checked one out yesterday. I was amazed how things had changed in only ten years or so. There are far more liberals posting than cons. Wasn't like that back in the day. It was like this page was if you look at the back pages. Top heavy with crazed cons screaming about the libtards. I even found this design for a new Mississippi flag. What do you think?

Having lived in the states of Washington, Oregon, Arizona, California, Colorado, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida and now Louisiana (New Orleans) and Mississippi, I consider myself somewhat of a tumbleweed when it comes to answering the question: "Where are you from?"

That being said, while living in the Pensacola area and being active in the Democratic Party there, it was suggested that we liberals need something like a "secret handshake" to be able to identify each other when meeting for the first time! The first district of Florida is roughly 2/3's Republican and 1/3 Democrat according to voter registration so the odds of finding kindred spirits were fairly low.

I'm glad to hear there is a movement afoot to change the state flag; it is well overdue!

Our Mississippi license plate is a New Orleans Saints plate, costing about a dollar per week over the year but helps the vehicle fit in better in both states and shows support for the Saints.

Telstar, how about a link to a Mississippi discussion group? I could use some insight into local thought.

Telstar

Telstar

othershoe1030 wrote:
Telstar wrote:
zsomething wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
zsomething wrote:

From one in Columbus:

And another in Miami:

Thanks for sending"

Having lived in the states of Washington, Oregon, Arizona, California, Colorado, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida and now Louisiana (New Orleans) and Mississippi, I consider myself somewhat of a tumbleweed when it comes to answering the question: "Where are you from?"

That being said, while living in the Pensacola area and being active in the Democratic Party there, it was suggested that we liberals need something like a "secret handshake" to be able to identify each other when meeting for the first time! The first district of Florida is roughly 2/3's Republican and 1/3 Democrat according to voter registration so the odds of finding kindred spirits were fairly low.

I'm glad to hear there is a movement afoot to change the state flag; it is well overdue!

Our Mississippi license plate is a New Orleans Saints plate, costing about a dollar per week over the year but helps the vehicle fit in better in both states and shows support for the Saints.

Telstar, how about a link to a Mississippi discussion group? I could use some insight into local thought.

You'll have to settle for facebook. It's a group page run by a Gannett based Mississippi newspaper. That's why I was amazed at how many libs were posting on it in comparison to the days when I posted on their regular forum that went dark about a year before the rest of the Gannett forums went dark. A conservative geezer named Joe started his own offshoot group in Mississippi just like BOF did with this one. His one rule was there were no rules and he promised to never ban anyone from the group. That went out the window when he banned me. No big deal because a couple of months later the geezer dropped dead and his page went dark. Please let me know if you find any Mississippi Groups, or any state discussion groups that are not connected to facebook. Thanks.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I have a very negative opinion of FB and if it weren't for being able to see what my kids are doing, would never go there again. I'm holding a grudge surrounding the Russian bots and other posts supporting DJT and undercutting HRC. Can't get over that.

As was just announced recently, FB has banned Alex Jones and a few other sites from both FB and snapchat (owned by FB) from their platforms. This is within their power given the guidelines of posting on FB that outlaws posts classified as hate messages or posts encouraging violence.

It makes me glad to have these sites banned but, playing the devil's advocate, how would we feel if FB somehow started justifying banning posts that promoted some liberal point of view?

I will try to find some MS forum somewhere besides FB. Thanks.

Telstar

Telstar

othershoe1030 wrote:I have a very negative opinion of FB and if it weren't for being able to see what my kids are doing, would never go there again. I'm holding a grudge surrounding the Russian bots and other posts supporting DJT and undercutting HRC. Can't get over that.

As was just announced recently, FB has banned Alex Jones and a few other sites from both FB and snapchat (owned by FB) from their platforms. This is within their power given the guidelines of posting on FB that outlaws posts classified as hate messages or posts encouraging violence.

It makes me glad to have these sites banned but, playing the devil's advocate, how would we feel if FB somehow started justifying banning posts that promoted some liberal point of view?

I will try to find some MS forum somewhere besides FB. Thanks.

Good luck.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum