Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mississippi Senate Race

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mississippi Senate Race Empty Mississippi Senate Race 7/30/2020, 10:39 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This is the first of a three part report about the recent history of the Democratic Party in Mississippi. Having recently moved to the state, I was eager to make connections with the party. Looking at the party's Facebook page I saw only white people, what's up on that? I wondered. 70% of the base of the party in Mississippi is made up of black voters, yet the party, in recent years has focused on trying to pry loose moderate white voters from the ranks of independent or GOP voters. This obviously does not work.

Last Saturday the party voted in a retired black judge to be their leader. This is a very hopeful sign and one that could prove to be significant in this election year. With only 90-some days left until the November election, time is running short. Please take a look at these three articles. I think there may be hope to elect Mike Espy for US Senate. He's running against Cindy Hyde-Smith who made (and then "justified" her attending a public hanging comment) a horrendous statement and has since even been luke-warm about replacing the state flag. This may be the election cycle Mississippi gets a Democratic Senator?

https://mississippitoday.org/2020/05/27/why-the-mississippi-democratic-party-lost-in-2019/

Telstar and zsomething like this post

2Mississippi Senate Race Empty Re: Mississippi Senate Race 7/30/2020, 11:50 am

zsomething

Mississippi's definitely turning a deeper purple. It'll likely still be a while before it goes blue (although Trump is giving it a big shove in that direction -- even a lot of people here are sick of him), but it'd already be blue if we could just get everyone to VOTE. There are a lot of Dems here who don't bother voting because we know we'll get drowned out by our idiot neighbors... but, in the last election almost 40% of the state voted for Hillary. We're not THAT drowned out, if more of us would just show up.

Cindy Hyde Smith has been an embarrassment, so she's going to be pretty vulnerable in the next election. Even Republicans are hating her. I don't see a long political life for Tate Reeves, either... neither side likes that indecisive dope.

othershoe1030 likes this post

3Mississippi Senate Race Empty Re: Mississippi Senate Race 7/30/2020, 3:41 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I'm not hoping for MS to turn blue and cast its electoral votes for Biden, However, I think we have a very real chance of reaching out to enough voters to elect Espy. As you said, we need to get more dems to vote.

Here's my major concern at this moment: In Espy's interview on one of the Sunday political programs, he came right out and said that what his campaign had to do in order to win in November was to register more democratic voters (& of course get them to the polls). When I went to his campaign page there was a button to click on if you wanted to volunteer. There were several options of things a person might want to help with. I clicked on "send text messages". I have yet to hear from anyone from his campaign. There was no "optional comment" box in which to send them a message. There was no email address for the campaign, no phone number.

I mean, COME ON, I know democrats are famous for being less than organized but this is ridiculous. As you said, Hyde-Smith is unpopular and with the newly revived BLM movement and the general shift in national attention to our dismal history with the treatment of black Americans, I see this as a terrific time to organize and win another senate seat. Wouldn't it be a shame to lose the senate by one lousy seat? UGH! I think we've got to give this a shot.

I am encouraged by the election of Mr. Irving as head of the state party but I'm wondering how best to set fires under the right people to get the campaign organized? Any ideas?

Telstar and zsomething like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum