Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How Democrats are losing 2020, already: Trump must not win reelection, but the candidates lining up to beat him are giving a good chance

+6
Sal
RealLindaL
bigdog
zsomething
gatorfan
othershoe1030
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Rick Wilson, former Republican strategist was on The 11th Hour program last night. Wilson, author of Everything Trump Touches Dies had advice for Democrats as to how to run (and win) the 2020 election.

It is quite simple and also fits in with Pelosi's current view of impeachment/no impeachment.

Wilson says impeachment would be unwise given the zero chance of removal from office due to conviction in the Senate. Even given a success at removal, we'd be left with Pence.

The best thing to do would be to hold constant hearings to expose this administration's corruption. Run live hearings and make the election about DJT's scandal, incompetency and chaos.

All impeachment hearings would accomplish would be to gin up DJT's base, help him raise money, lend credence to his "coup" claim and end up letting him run as a victim. As Wilson said, Trump can't win the election, but the Democrats can certainly lose it.

I completely agree. The Watergate hearings had viewers glued to their TV's. These hearings would be like the presidential version of the OJ trial. Hard to claim Fake News when people are under oath, although I'm sure they'd try.

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:Rick Wilson, former Republican strategist was on The 11th Hour program last night. Wilson, author of Everything Trump Touches Dies had advice for Democrats as to how to run (and win) the 2020 election.

It is quite simple and also fits in with Pelosi's current view of impeachment/no impeachment.

Wilson says impeachment would be unwise given the zero chance of removal from office due to conviction in the Senate. Even given a success at removal, we'd be left with Pence.

The best thing to do would be to hold constant hearings to expose this administration's corruption. Run live hearings and make the election about DJT's scandal, incompetency and chaos.

All impeachment hearings would accomplish would be to gin up DJT's base, help him raise money, lend credence to his "coup" claim and end up letting him run as a victim. As Wilson said, Trump can't win the election, but the Democrats can certainly lose it.

I completely agree. The Watergate hearings had viewers glued to their TV's. These hearings would be like the presidential version of the OJ trial. Hard to claim Fake News when people are under oath, although I'm sure they'd try.

"There’s no political inconvenience exception in the Constitution."
- Elizabeth Warren

I completely agree.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sal wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:Rick Wilson, former Republican strategist was on The 11th Hour program last night. Wilson, author of Everything Trump Touches Dies had advice for Democrats as to how to run (and win) the 2020 election.

"There’s no political inconvenience exception in the Constitution."
- Elizabeth Warren

I completely agree.

I see her point and watched her town hall last night on CNN. I had not expected to agree with basically all the things she said. One thing I like about her is that she knows the financial systems inside and out and the bankers and Wall Street types cannot pull anything over on her. She will nail them at every turn.

I understand the "inconvenience exception" position, however...I would ask, how appearing to defend the Constitution in the short term, by lurching toward impeachment, would best serve the nation?

The best way to defend the Constitution and our civil institutions is to have a thorough public airing out of the corruption and other misdeeds of this administration. We must make sure we continue to shine a light on his actions.

Looking back at past scandals, Watergate, Iran/Contra, they are mostly a blur in the rearview mirror. Going at a moderate rate, holding hearings, exposing this fraudulent administration for what it is will serve the Constitution better in the long run, than jumping onto a path that ends in a dead end with his acquittal in the Senate.

I don't think it is a betrayal of support for the Constitution to hold hearings and further investigations. There are provisions there for those activities too.

RealLindaL

othershoe1030 wrote:The best way to defend the Constitution and our civil institutions is to have a thorough public airing out of the corruption and other misdeeds of this administration. We must make sure we continue to shine a light on his actions.

Looking back at past scandals, Watergate, Iran/Contra, they are mostly a blur in the rearview mirror. Going at a moderate rate, holding hearings, exposing this fraudulent administration for what it is will serve the Constitution better in the long run, than jumping onto a path that ends in a dead end with his acquittal in the Senate.

I don't think it is a betrayal of support for the Constitution to hold hearings and further investigations. There are provisions there for those activities too.

I'm with you, othershoe.  I, too, listened to Warren last night but it didn't sway me from my opinion that impeachment at this point is a pointless and politically dangerous exercise.  Let the investigations commence and/or continue!  All encouragement and support are due the Democratic committees pursuing all this; IF at some point the revelations result in bipartisan support for impeachment, full steam ahead with that option.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

RealLindaL wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:The best way to defend the Constitution and our civil institutions is to have a thorough public airing out of the corruption and other misdeeds of this administration. We must make sure we continue to shine a light on his actions.

I'm with you, othershoe.  I, too, listened to Warren last night but it didn't sway me from my opinion that impeachment at this point is a pointless and politically dangerous exercise.  Let the investigations commence and/or continue!  All encouragement and support are due the Democratic committees pursuing all this; IF at some point the revelations result in bipartisan support for impeachment, full steam ahead with that option.

Okay, let's take this one step further. Let's say public opinion forces the Senate to vote to convict. The country would still be left with a Republican administration headed by Pence, with all the current cabinet and department heads left in place or to be replaced by Pence and his team. That hardly looks like an acceptable result after the unearthing of all the wrong-doings that Mueller dug up.

The best thing is to vote him out in 2020. The down-side is wondering how much damage he can do meanwhile vs removing him asap. How long would it take in ideal circumstances, to see him packing his bags? What's the timeline? If Impeachment hearings were held this afternoon, realistically, what's the swearing in date for Pence? I don't know, just guessing it will take many months.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum