Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Automatic Voter Registration (AVR)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This is part of an email I got from Common Cause. Thing is, it's a great idea. People could opt out if they wanted but otherwise there would be no need to go door to door or into crowds with clipboards and voter registration forms to get people signed up.

Also extremely likely that only the more progressive states would adopt this method of registering voters? Do a search for the common cause sites for more information.

If you’re as upset as I am about the dysfunctional, unaccountable state of national politics -- I want to tell you about a game-changing solution: Automatic Voter Registration (AVR).

Here’s how it works: when any eligible voter visits a DMV or another public state office, unless they opt out, their information is automatically verified and securely added to the voter rolls.

This simple reform will make our election system much safer, less expensive, and more accessible. It’s a much-needed improvement over our cumbersome, outdated voter registration process. Plus, it’d significantly increase the amount of eligible voters who participate in our democracy -- and make sure election results more accurately reflect what the people want.

Automatic Voter Registration is just common sense -- and it’s already delivering major results in states across the country, like Oregon, California, Vermont, and more.

Common Cause Oregon led the fight to enact Automatic Voter Registration in their state a few years back. Then, in the 2016 election, they bucked a nationwide low-turnout trend -- with at least 100,000 newly registered voters showing up to the polls.

Now imagine if we could repeat that success on a national level.

Enacting AVR in all 50 states could add more than 50 million new, eligible voters to the rolls. And -- because AVR lets us use the information that state governments are already collecting to verify registrations in real-time, it’d majorly strengthen the integrity of our elections.

Deus X

Deus X

The problem is that most state legislatures are controlled by Republicans, even in otherwise progressive states.

RealLindaL

Other than just "being Republican" and therefore obstinate when it comes to more vs. less voters on the rolls, I can't see any valid reason for ANYONE to be against AVR as long as the potential voters are very clearly instructed on how to opt out at the time -- i.e., in a way that they absolutely can't miss.

Deus X

Deus X

RealLindaL wrote: just "being Republican" and therefore obstinate

Surprise, surprise! They're RACISTS as well:

Automatic Voter Registration (AVR) Bt-poll-t-handlind-party

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Deus X wrote:

This is sad to say but I hope this poll reflects the Republicans who have just given up thinking and follow blindly whatever Trump says or does. That at least gives them a pitiful excuse or not being "actively" or "thoughtfully" racist but just to being in some sort of sedated mental state wherein they are unable to construct a complete or opposing thought to Trump. Sorry state of affairs!

zsomething

Deus X wrote:

They really are just a cult now. The few principled Republicans who are left are backing away from what's left of their party, because they see what it's turned into. I mean, I'm not a fan, but Mitt Romney deserves credit for making a pretty nice anti-racism statement over the weekend ( https://action.romneyforutah.com/as-i-see-it-race-and-equality/ ). Sadly, though, his kind are all too few.

The Trump cultists tried to act like they were motivated by "economic anxiety," but the truth was the economy was kicking ass already... they just didn't want to acknowledge it because they didn't like the color of the president. As soon as somebody they felt comfortable giving credit to came in there, they "discovered" the economy and, oddly, started patting themselves on the back for continuance of the previous president's trends (even though those trends slowed under their guy!).

Two things really motivate the hardened core of Trump's base now.

1. Racism.

2. Reactionary hate of "liberals."

That's pretty much it. Whatever hurts somebody with brown skin or an accent delights them. And whatever will "piss off liberals" they'll go for, no matter how stupid it is. Cutting down the gas mileage of your car? Whoo-hoo! The libtards'll hate it! Let's do it! The insurance won't cover pre-existing conditions anymore and now mee-maw might die? Well, that's sure sorrowful... but, as long as some latte-sippin' Cali-forn-yun has their grandmaw die, too, then yippie-shit, let's do it twice!

It's all just fucking spite. The Democrats put a black guy in office, he ran a pretty clean administration with most scandals having to be made-up bullshit (which have been debunked over and over, but you can't reason with people whose beliefs didn't come from reason in the first place), he was actually really successful in most areas -- much more so than his Republican predecessor -- and god damn did that stick in their craw. It was humiliating... so now they just don't give a shit, they just want to see "liberals" (which covers anybody who's not in their cult -- I've even seen a few hardened Trumpers trying to claim Ben Shapiro's turned "liberal" just because he's not a Trump fan, and that's a laugh and a half) miserable. And anybody who's against racism becomes "the racist." Somehow, they think Black Lives Matter is a "racist hate group." Antifa are the real fascists, for kicking the occasional Nazi in the teeth. The Trump cult's so hived up that they'll side with Nazis and Russia, just 'cuz they know that'll piss liberals off.

It's really all they want. They don't even know what they think about any issue until they figure out what liberals think about it. Then they pick the opposite. If liberals come out against drop-kicking puppies, the streets of my town would soon be ringing with "yike-yike-yike!" sounds.

This book ( https://www.amazon.com/Troll-Nation-Trump-Worshipping-Monsters-Liberals/dp/1510737456/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534183602&sr=1-1&keywords=troll+nation ) does a good job of explaining it, with lots of examples to support it. It's worth the read if you want to understand Trump cultists.

This is still the core book on learning about any cult, though -- https://www.amazon.com/True-Believer-Thoughts-Movements-Perennial/dp/0060505915/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534183700&sr=1-1&keywords=true+believer . When I read that one I finally saw it put into concise words what's wrong with a lot of people in my state. It was stuff I already knew, but Hoffer puts it together so well it's amazing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum