Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trump attacks senator who served in marine reserves during Viet Nam

+3
Telstar
polecat
2seaoat
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

2seaoat

The answer is simple....the MIC is controlling the vet game......you cannot leave war to chance......you have to have your bases covered.

2seaoat wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-renews-attack-on-democratic-senator-calling-him-a-%e2%80%98vietnam-con-artist%e2%80%99-on-twitter/ar-AApC7hr?li=BBnb4R7

This guy was playing in New York during the same period with Daddy's money.

And what did the Senator do?
According to the article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/08/07/donald-trump-attacks-richard-blumenthal-over-vietnam-service/544457001/

Blumenthal did indeed exaggerate about his military service, including one notable occasion in 2008, when he told a group of veterans and senior citizens, "We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam." He got multiple military deferments during the Vietnam War before landing in the Marine Reserve. He then served in the reserve from 1970 to 1976.

According to this article, Blumenthal had five deferments and never went to Vietnam.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/08/07/donald-trump-attacks-richard-blumenthal-over-vietnam-service/544457001/

So, Trump is correct in blasting his service when Blumenthal pretty much is "stealing valor" by saying he served in Vietnam, when he actually went nowhere at all with his five deferments.

In spite of that history, there were several instances when Blumenthal misrepresented the truth. In a 2008 speech, he referred to "the days that I served in Vietnam," and in news stories from around that time, he didn't correct articles that referred to him as "a Vietnam veteran," according to The Times. After The Times story was published, Blumenthal apologized, saying, "I have made mistakes and I am sorry."
"At times when I have sought to honor veterans, I have not been as clear or precise as I should have been about my service in the Marine Corps Reserves," he said in a statement issued May 23, 2010. "I have firmly and clearly expressed regret and taken responsibility for my words."
Trump has never served in the military, but said during the presidential campaign that "I've regretted not serving in many ways."

So, in all essence, Blumenthal HAS "stolen valor" by claiming he served in Vietnam and never left the United States. Trump got deferments, but never lied about it or his non-service. He owned up to it.

Your argument is not valid.

2seaoat wrote:The answer is simple....the MIC is controlling the vet game......you cannot leave war to chance......you have to have your bases covered.

What do you know about war except from history classes?

Chump575 wrote:
2seaoat wrote:The answer is simple....the MIC is controlling the vet game......you cannot leave war to chance......you have to have your bases covered.

What do you know about war except from history classes?

One cannot help but notice that 2Seaoat--the forum's resident know-it-all--has no reply to this question.

He milked his deferment from service in 'Nam and became a loyal Republican at a time when anyone with any sense opposed the war. He was too much of a moral coward to even oppose the war.

He claims it was just the luck of draft-number draw when that peculiar lottery didn't even begin until December of '69 and he would have still been in college enjoying his 2S or "student" draft status and his draft number would have made no difference.

What is particularly dishonorable about his comments and behavior is that he worked for Nixon who extended the war for another five years after his election in '68. In other words he supported the war but did not want to serve--just like Dick Cheney!

One can only hope that when he finally passes on to his reward, the ghosts of the 58,000 American dead in Vietnam become his collective chained and tormented Jacob Marley.

Requiescat in Pace, you son-of-a-bitch. The only way you can avoid eternal torment is to admit your shame.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum