Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I [do not] heart California

+2
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51I [do not] heart California - Page 3 Empty Re: I [do not] heart California 10/8/2012, 11:38 am

Rogue wrote:

so your all the way in california now. oh and you havnt been bitchin. like teo said, your very entertaining and calming. This possibly couldnt be bitchin. I dont want to find out either.

just wanted to say I do agree with you about cali having some beautiful landscape. ive gone to santa barbabra a few times. very pretty. ive watched it change over the last 15 years, but its still very nice.

It sounds like you are at home with family now. and in a nice mello surrounding. enjoy these days, they are your future memories. Smile

Yes, ma'am... Alllll the way in California now, gratefully up in the mountains and not in some yucky city. Pensacola was a "Big City" to me and the traffic always gave me heart palpitations, much to the amusement of my co-workers. Then I had to work in Orlando for three months and I learned what real traffic was. LOL! 45-min to 1hr 15-min to drive 12-miles nearly gave me a freakin stroke every single day. Not to mention the damned toll roads.

Santa Barbara is a pretty neat place to go, so long as you've got a whole sack full of cash! Vvvvvery expensive place to visit. Most of the times I've gone there have been to see shows at the Santa Barbara County Bowl, which is a phenomenal venue.

I'll have to post some of my pictures of the elk herd and a good shot or two I got of a herd of deer earlier this year. Have got some great shots.

I love you
riceme

52I [do not] heart California - Page 3 Empty Re: I [do not] heart California 10/8/2012, 11:51 am

Nekochan wrote:I have a number of friends who live in California or who are from California. They say the same things as you, Riceme---they get tired of all of the wacky news coming out of their state and hate that so many people think that what we we read in the news about something crazy going on in LA or San Francisco is representative of the entire state or its people. CA is so much more than that. It is a beautiful state with a lot of good people.
The taxes mainly, would keep us away. Plus lack of a job for hubby in places that we would want to live. I cannot see us living anywhere near Edwards. We talked about it, because our friends live there. But I like a place with rain and trees....and hubby hates commuting more than 20 minutes to work. So I can't see us doing what our friends are doing, although they are happy with where they're at. They have said that they would not want to raise their kids in a place like San Diego, but they have family in CA and are Californians at heart.
I think the Redwoods in CA are are so beautiful--I would love to live someplace like that. But again, there is the distance, commute, etc...and the taxes Sad
I am just a southerner at heart and I am lucky that hubby (who is from Alaska) is happy pretty much wherever I'm happy, he likes the south a lot, and he does not mind always looking for jobs in places that he thinks I'll be happy in.

I am like your hubby... I can't do more than 20-minutes for a commute. I love my home too much and value my time here too much. I am not just saying this because this is my home, but Tehachapi is literally the closest good place to live near Edwards. Everything else is desert, which would not suit you I am sure, not to mention, nowhere I would ever live myself nor recommend to a friend. NO ONE wants to live in LA County... taxes are too high, and frankly, it's just gross.

I was thinking of Vandenberg AFB, living in Frazier Park, but I didn't realize just how far that commute was. Bummer. Frazier Park is a very nice little town... very similar to my hometown.

Having gone to Humboldt State with my sisters, we all lived up there for about 10-years and one of them never left. It is an amazing and gorgeous place to live, and I may have never left were it not for the fact that it is so depressed. It is extremely difficult to find jobs after they shut down the saw mills, pulp mills,... well, the entire logging industry, pretty much the entire fishing industry, not to mention there's no Wind Industry up there, nor any Heavy Industrial Manufacturing. I would love to live up there again someday if the economy was ever non "agriculture" (ahem!) based... the weather doesn't bother me... In fact, I like it. Shocked

53I [do not] heart California - Page 3 Empty Re: I [do not] heart California 10/8/2012, 11:54 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

You need to write a book. Start with a children's book. Get Az to illustrate it, As I was reading your post it carried me to an ideal place in my mind I am sure children would love to visit in their thoughts...thanks.

Wow... such a thing never occurred to me, T. But really, I don't think I have the writing skills for it. My grammar sucks big time. Ooo... maybe I could get my English teacher friend to proof it! :-]

You're so sweet, and I feel flattered that you would even suggest such an endeavor. What age-group were you thinking of?

54I [do not] heart California - Page 3 Empty Re: I [do not] heart California 10/8/2012, 6:24 pm

riceme wrote:Have never heard of a rig whose fuel pump will turn off when coasting in neutral... Will have to research that!! YIKES!

I wasn't referring to the fuel pump cutting off if you are coasting in neutral. Sorry if I made it look that way. If your car's fuel pump cut off while you were coasting in neutral, the engine would die. If you are in gear and decelerating, however, the transmission will keep the engine turning, even with the fuel pump or fuel injectors shut down. Some cars have an Engine Management Control unit that features DFCO (Deceleration fuel cut-off), and some shut down the fuel injectors when you are coasting in gear with your foot off the gas pedal.

I have had several cars that calculate instantaneous mileage and, if I lift my foot off the gas pedal and coast in gear, the instant mileage calculator will show that I am getting the max (999) miles per gallon. It doesn't do that when the car is coasting in neutral.

55I [do not] heart California - Page 3 Empty Re: I [do not] heart California 10/8/2012, 6:26 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

california is like a bowl of granola. What ain't fruits and nuts is flakes.

56I [do not] heart California - Page 3 Empty Re: I [do not] heart California 10/8/2012, 9:04 pm

Yomama wrote:
riceme wrote:Have never heard of a rig whose fuel pump will turn off when coasting in neutral... Will have to research that!! YIKES!

I wasn't referring to the fuel pump cutting off if you are coasting in neutral. Sorry if I made it look that way. If your car's fuel pump cut off while you were coasting in neutral, the engine would die. If you are in gear and decelerating, however, the transmission will keep the engine turning, even with the fuel pump or fuel injectors shut down. Some cars have an Engine Management Control unit that features DFCO (Deceleration fuel cut-off), and some shut down the fuel injectors when you are coasting in gear with your foot off the gas pedal.

I have had several cars that calculate instantaneous mileage and, if I lift my foot off the gas pedal and coast in gear, the instant mileage calculator will show that I am getting the max (999) miles per gallon. It doesn't do that when the car is coasting in neutral.

No, you said "coasting in gear" but I thought you'd misspoke because we were talking about coasting in neutral, not in gear. My apologies. Of course the vehicle would die if the fuel pump quit while in neutral. Aside from that, I have never owned a vehicle with all that other fancy malarkey you're referring to... I'm strictly old school. LOL. Wink

57I [do not] heart California - Page 3 Empty Re: I [do not] heart California 10/8/2012, 9:42 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

riceme wrote:

Yomama wrote:

No, you said "coasting in gear" but I thought you'd misspoke because we were talking about coasting in neutral, not in gear. My apologies. Of course the vehicle would die if the fuel pump quit while in neutral. Aside from that, I have never owned a vehicle with all that other fancy malarkey you're referring to... I'm strictly old school. LOL. Wink

If you coasted down from Shirley Acres there would be a hole bigger than the one at the Pentagon in the road below....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum