Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spicer gives first press room briefing

+4
knothead
Markle
Sal
othershoe1030
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Don't these things usually end with questions from the press? After trying to defend the crowd size at the festivities yesterday Spicer, in a suit that must belong to his older, bigger, brother, went on to say they were going to "hold the press responsible" for their reporting. Again, here we go again with the theme of fake news.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/315494-white-house-spokesman-blasts-media-over-crowd-sizes-in-first

Sal

Sal

Unhinged by Trump's small crowd yesterday and the masses in the streets today.

Markle

Markle

Spicer set the stage!

There's a new sheriff in town.

Respect and report the truth, regardless of how trivial or face the consequences.

Sounds good to me.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:Spicer set the stage!

Respect and report the truth, regardless of how trivial or face the consequences.

Sounds good to me.

Won't fly . . . just who decides what is the truth?, its freedom of the press.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

knothead wrote:

Sounds good to me.

Yes, knotthead. Spicer has it upside-down. The press is the watchdog over the politicians, not the other way around. Spicer referenced some tweet (at least in one part of his outburst) rather than any recognized news outlet, of which there were many. He will lose his credibility if he keeps this up.

Also, President Trump went on a rambling reminiscence of what he thinks he saw from the podium yesterday giving his inaugural address. Unfortunately he was standing in front of the CIA's memorial wall for fallen patriots, which is not to be done. But hey, protocol is out the window.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:

Sounds good to me.

I can see that is a problem for you.

So many times you have challenged the FACTS in my threads but...when I request you post FACTS to refute mine, along with you source and link...you run and hide or attack me personally.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sal wrote:Unhinged by Trump's small crowd yesterday and the masses in the streets today.

The thing that freaks me out about Spicer's press meeting or whatever it was, was this: during a campaign you expect the candidates to spin happenings but now I expect a bit more reality in the WH's view of the world.

This is going to be a long administration if they dispute and are upset by every piece of data put out by the press. In this case there were numerous photos documenting the crowds, white backgrounds notwithstanding. We're being Gaslighted by the WH.

Too many eyes, too many reporters, too many video tapes, too much evidence. It won't work. Kellyanne asks us to not listen to his words but to see what's in his heart. Who are you going to believe, the words or your lying eyes? I mean really this is downright creepy!

2seaoat

I am keeping my powder dry for real issues. My wife said the crowds were so large in Chicago, they had to shut it down today. I am not happy about the timing of this energy, but one thing is for sure, it appears to be genuine and growing. Conway could not tell the truth if her life depended on it. You almost have to be rude to her to have a normal conversation without her spinning everything.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I am keeping my powder dry for real issues. My wife said the crowds were so large in Chicago, they had to shut it down today. I am not happy about the timing of this energy, but one thing is for sure, it appears to be genuine and growing. Conway could not tell the truth if her life depended on it. You almost have to be rude to her to have a normal conversation without her spinning everything.

I see you like the way I turn a phrase. Thank you!

Chicago and other cities are simply showing that they cannot show the grace and tolerance they keep harping to every that they possess. Clearly, we see that is not true and the hate they harbor engulfs them.

Sad, and it hurts only them. What reasonable voter of any party would vote to support riots, property damage, and injuries? The same groups promoting these riots are also guilty of promoting the assassination of police.

Yeah, I'd vote for them in a heartbeat! Shameful and pathetic.

Telstar

Telstar

CNN Reporters and Anchors Call Out Trump and Spicer as Liars

CNN Tonight focused on Sean Spicer‘s first outing as President Trump‘s press secretary, and it quickly became a discussion about how often Trump and Spicer distort the truth.
In response to Spicer’s explosive rant about the media’s misrepresentation of Trump’s inauguration crowd sizes, Jim Acosta went through the various indicators which prove that Trump did not get the crowds his predecessors did. Acosta also remarked that it will be a significant problem if Spicer continues to pick fights with the media and present false facts without providing anything to back up the Trump Administration’s arguments.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-reporters-and-anchors-call-out-trump-and-spicer-as-liars/

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:

CNN Reporters and Anchors Call Out Trump and Spicer as Liars

CNN Tonight focused on Sean Spicer‘s first outing as President Trump‘s press secretary, and it quickly became a discussion about how often Trump and Spicer distort the truth.
In response to Spicer’s explosive rant about the media’s misrepresentation of Trump’s inauguration crowd sizes, Jim Acosta went through the various indicators which prove that Trump did not get the crowds his predecessors did. Acosta also remarked that it will be a significant problem if Spicer continues to pick fights with the media and present false facts without providing anything to back up the Trump Administration’s arguments.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-reporters-and-anchors-call-out-trump-and-spicer-as-liars/

cheers cheers cheers (Except I'm not smiling. I agree with othershoe that it's all downright spooky.)

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/22/us/politics/president-trump-inauguration-crowd-white-house.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

White House Pushes ‘Alternative Facts.’ Here Are the Real Ones.

WASHINGTON — Kellyanne Conway, counselor to President Trump, said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday that the White House had put forth “alternative facts” to ones reported by the news media about the size of Mr. Trump’s inauguration crowd.

She made this assertion — which quickly went viral on social media — a day after Mr. Trump and Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, had accused the news media of reporting falsehoods about the inauguration and Mr. Trump’s relationship with the intelligence agencies.

In leveling this attack, the president and Mr. Spicer made a series of false statements.

Here are the facts.

In a speech at the C.I.A. on Saturday, Mr. Trump said the news media had constructed a feud between him and the intelligence community. “They sort of made it sound like I had a ‘feud’ with the intelligence community,” he said. “It is exactly the opposite, and they understand that, too.”

In fact, Mr. Trump repeatedly criticized the intelligence agencies during his transition to office and has questioned their conclusion that Russia meddled in the election to aid his candidacy. He called their assessment “ridiculous” and suggested that it had been politically motivated.

After the disclosure of a dossier with unsubstantiated claims about him, Mr. Trump alleged that the intelligence agencies had allowed a leak of the material. “Are we living in Nazi Germany?” he asked in a post on Twitter.

Follow
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
Intelligence agencies should never have allowed this fake news to "leak" into the public. One last shot at me.Are we living in Nazi Germany?
6:48 AM - 11 Jan 2017
32,255 32,255 Retweets 110,367 110,367 likes

Mr. Trump said of his inauguration crowd, “It looked honestly like a million and a half people, whatever it was, it was, but it went all the way back to the Washington Monument.”

Aerial photographs clearly show that the crowd did not stretch to the Washington Monument. An analysis by The New York Times, comparing photographs from Friday to ones taken of Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration, showed that Mr. Trump’s crowd was significantly smaller and less than the 1.5 million people he claimed. An expert hired by The Times found that Mr. Trump’s crowd on the National Mall was about a third of the size of Mr. Obama’s in 2009.

Mr. Trump said that though he had been “hit by a couple of drops” of rain as he began his address on Inauguration Day, the sky soon cleared. “And the truth is, it stopped immediately, and then became sunny,” he said. “And I walked off, and it poured after I left. It poured.”

The truth is that it began to rain lightly almost exactly as Mr. Trump began to speak and continued to do so throughout his remarks, which lasted about 18 minutes, and after he finished.

Speaking later on Saturday in the White House briefing room, Mr. Spicer amplified Mr. Trump’s false claims. “This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration — period — both in person and around the globe,” he said.

There is no evidence to support this claim. Not only was Mr. Trump’s inauguration crowd far smaller than Mr. Obama’s in 2009, but he also drew fewer television viewers in the United States (30.6 million) than Mr. Obama did in 2009 (38 million) and Ronald Reagan did in 1981 (42 million), Nielsen reported. Figures for online viewership were not available.

Trump’s Inauguration vs. Obama’s: Comparing the Crowds
Estimates put the crowd gathered for President Donald J. Trump’s inauguration at far less than President Obama’s in 2009. (video)

Mr. Spicer said that Washington’s Metro system had greater ridership on Friday than it did for Mr. Obama’s 2013 inauguration. “We know that 420,000 people used the D.C. Metro public transit yesterday, which actually compares to 317,000 that used it for President Obama’s last inaugural,” Mr. Spicer said.

Neither number is correct, according to the transit system, which reported 570,557 entries into the rail system on Friday, compared with 782,000 on Inauguration Day in 2013.

Mr. Spicer said that “this was the first time in our nation’s history that floor coverings have been used to protect the grass on the Mall. That had the effect of highlighting any areas where people were not standing, while in years past the grass eliminated this visual.”

In fact, similar coverings were used during the 2013 inauguration to protect the grass. The coverings did not hamper analyses of the crowd size.

Mr. Spicer said that it was “the first time that fencing and magnetometers went as far back on the Mall, preventing hundreds of thousands of people from being able to access the Mall as quickly as they had in inaugurations past.”

The Secret Service said security measures were largely unchanged this year. There were also few reports of long lines or delays.

And watch this video of Kelly Ann Conway before she joined team Trump:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum