Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

On Clinton Emails, Did the FBI Director Abuse His Power?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/opinion/on-clinton-emails-did-the-fbi-director-abuse-his-power.html

RICHARD W. PAINTER OCT. 30, 2016

Richard W. Painter, a professor at the University of Minnesota Law School, was the chief White House ethics lawyer from 2005 to 2007.

THE F.B.I. is currently investigating the hacking of Americans’ computers by foreign governments. Russia is a prime suspect.

Imagine a possible connection between a candidate for president in the United States and the Russian computer hacking. Imagine the candidate has business dealings in Russia, and has publicly encouraged the Russians to hack the email of his opponent. It would not be surprising for the F.B.I. to include this candidate and his campaign staff in its confidential investigation of Russian computer hacking.

But it would be highly improper, and an abuse of power, for the F.B.I. to conduct such an investigation in the public eye, particularly on the eve of the election. It would be an abuse of power for the director of the F.B.I., absent compelling circumstances, to notify members of Congress that the candidate was under investigation. It would be an abuse of power if F.B.I. agents went so far as to obtain a search warrant and raid the candidate’s office tower, hauling out boxes of documents and computers in front of television cameras.

The F.B.I.’s job is to investigate, not to influence the outcome of an election.

Such acts could also be prohibited under the Hatch Act, which bars the use of an official position to influence an election. That is why the F.B.I. presumably would keep those aspects of an investigation confidential until after the election. The usual penalty for a violation is termination of federal employment.

That is why, on Saturday, I filed a complaint against the F.B.I. with the Office of Special Counsel, which investigates Hatch Act violations, and with the Office of Government Ethics. I spent much of my career working on government and lawyers’ ethics, including as the chief White House ethics lawyer for George W. Bush. I never thought that the F.B.I. could be dragged into a political circus surrounding one of its investigations. Until this week.

(For the sake of full disclosure, in this election I have supported Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, John Kasich and Hillary Clinton for president, in that order.)

On Friday, the director of the F.B.I., James B. Comey, sent members of Congress a letter about developments in the agency’s investigation of Mrs. Clinton’s emails, an investigation which supposedly was closed months ago. This letter, which was quickly posted on the internet, made highly unusual public statements about an F.B.I. investigation concerning a candidate in the election. The letter was sent in violation of a longstanding Justice Department policy of not discussing specifics about pending investigations with others, including members of Congress. According to some news reports, the letter was sent before the F.B.I. had even obtained the search warrant that it needed to look at the newly discovered emails. And it was sent days before the election, when many Americans are already voting.

Violations of the Hatch Act and of government ethics rules on misuse of official positions are not permissible in any circumstances, including in the case of an executive branch official acting under pressure from politically motivated members of Congress. Violations are of even greater concern when the agency is the F.B.I.

It is not clear whether Mr. Comey personally wanted to influence the outcome of the election, although his letter — which cast suspicion on Mrs. Clinton without revealing specifics — was concerning. Also concerning is the fact that Mr. Comey already made unusual public statements expressing his opinion about Mrs. Clinton’s actions, calling her handling of classified information “extremely careless,” when he announced this summer that the F.B.I. was concluding its investigation of her email without filing any charges.

But an official doesn’t need to have a specific intent — or desire — to influence an election to be in violation of the Hatch Act or government ethics rules. The rules are violated if it is obvious that the official’s actions could influence the election, there is no other good reason for taking those actions, and the official is acting under pressure from persons who obviously do want to influence the election.

Absent extraordinary circumstances that might justify it, a public communication about a pending F.B.I. investigation involving a candidate that is made on the eve of an election is thus very likely to be a violation of the Hatch Act and a misuse of an official position. Serious questions also arise under lawyers’ professional conduct rules that require prosecutors to avoid excessive publicity and unnecessary statements that could cause public condemnation even of people who have been accused of a crime, not to mention people like Mrs. Clinton, who have never been charged with a crime.

This is no trivial matter. We cannot allow F.B.I. or Justice Department officials to unnecessarily publicize pending investigations concerning candidates of either party while an election is underway. That is an abuse of power. Allowing such a precedent to stand will invite more, and even worse, abuses of power in the future.

2seaoat

Nonsense. The FBI director is simply trying to play a role his agency never was designed to fill........an in between justice and the public. It is wrong to politicize the prosecution of cases, and in the attempt to bring the integrity of the FBI to deflect politics, the action by Justice has caused the FBI to be stained with the very politics Justice was trying to avoid. Enough. The FBI was right in releasing the information on the new emails, because you cannot have it both way Justice Department........do your jobs.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Nonsense.   The FBI director is simply trying to play a role his agency never was designed to fill........an in between justice and the public.   It is wrong to politicize the prosecution of cases, and in the attempt to bring the integrity of the FBI to deflect politics, the action by Justice has caused the FBI to be stained with the very politics Justice was trying to avoid.   Enough.   The FBI was right in releasing the information on the new emails, because you cannot have it both way Justice Department........do your jobs.

Nonsense? This man was Bush's ethics counsel...a contradiction in terms, to be sure, but he only served from 2005-2007. He has personally filed a complaint.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:Nonsense.   The FBI director is simply trying to play a role his agency never was designed to fill........an in between justice and the public.   It is wrong to politicize the prosecution of cases, and in the attempt to bring the integrity of the FBI to deflect politics, the action by Justice has caused the FBI to be stained with the very politics Justice was trying to avoid.   Enough.   The FBI was right in releasing the information on the new emails, because you cannot have it both way Justice Department........do your jobs.

BS.

It has become clear over the last 48 hours that there are rogue agents in the Bureau who were intent on sabotaging the election in any way possible.

Comey's actions were intended solely to cover his ass when said agents inevitably leaked the information in the most malicious way possible regarding the Abedin emails.

He prioritized insulating himself from Republican criticism over following protocol and protecting the integrity of a Presidential election.

It must be very lonely defending this guy at this point.

2seaoat

Again.....nonsense. When Justice abdicated its position as the sole discretion on prosecution and delegated the decision to FBI agents, it was a mistake which was made by the Obama administration, and NOT the FBI. This is just more partisan nonsense. Hillary Clinton will not be charged with a crime. Nothing changes, but when you have delegated transparency to the FBI because of the idiocy of the former President meeting with the AG when there is an active investigation, do not complain about the optics or start the same stupid nonsense that Pace, Mr. Markle, and Pk live by in their fantasy world of make chit up to prosecute your political opponents. The director was given the ball by justice, and he did his job. The letter that more emails are being reviewed is nothing. Absolutely nothing unless you start smoking the crack pipe that Pace, Mr. Markle, and Pk have been smoking about conspiracy and foul play. Enough

A better question is... why did Huma have the emails on a devise when she swore to have turned over everything. And if she did this... who else did it to? Start turning over rocks and void the immunity bs.

2seaoat

A better question is... why did Huma have the emails on a devise when she swore to have turned over everything. And if she did this... who else did it to? Start turning over rocks and void the immunity bs.

Again the standard does not change. Unless Huma was trying to transfer classified information to third parties for a quid pro quo gain, she will not have committed any crime. In regard to any such sworn statement which I certainly have not seen or heard the same, again if she did not knowingly lie to the FBI she has committed no crime. The hysteria of trying to take the eye off an election where there are substantive issues and policy differences has denigrated to the lowest common denominator......idiocy.

Transferring sensitive Dept of State records to your yahoo account and an idiots laptop is illegal.

2seaoat

Transferring sensitive Dept of State records to your yahoo account and an idiots laptop is illegal.

Putting a headlight on the check out counter at PEP boys and calling it a gear selector knob does not make it so........you just think you can call anything illegal, and that makes it so. You are wrong. Again gross negligence is not the standard for the commission of a crime under the statute. Now if she knowingly lied to the FBI and was trying to hide a device, yes she will be guilty of a crime for lying.......not possessing records on a yahoo account......again these are really elementary simple legal concepts which I am amazed at how comprehension is so difficult.

I fully expect that she will be cleared of any crime, and would agree that she was sloppy and probably negligent if her dirt bag husband had access to her laptop........this however is not a crime under the statute and the supreme court case I have repeatedly provided you. Now if you have some secret secret password you and Anthony share where you have all this inside information which allows you once again leap to uneducated conclusion.....please share the same.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:start the same stupid nonsense that Pace, Mr. Markle, and Pk live by in their fantasy world of make chit up to prosecute your political opponents.  

Asinine bothsiderism bullshit.

The Republicans have weaponized scorched earth partisan politics at every level of our government.

Here we have outside forces - foreign governments, interfering in the election on behalf of one party with the Wikileaks dumps.

We have the nominee of that party declaring his opponent is guilty of crimes and promising to jail her if he wins, suggesting that any other outcome is illegitimate.

We have the director of the government's most powerful police force ignoring his own bosses and abandoning all protocol and precedent to interfere in the election just ten days before it is to take place, benefiting the same party.

And we have a media which is ready and willing to run with all of this as it's being fed to them with virtually no concern that they are being used to undermine our democratic processes, excusing themselves with the fatuous "it's out there" and "that's our job."

We are quickly becoming a banana republic, but only one side is pushing us in that direction.

2seaoat

I disagree. I just watched James Carville melt down on MSNBC. He too argued a conspiracy with the FBI letter and the Russian attack on our sovereignty. You have to assume that American voters do not get this and understand that the simple fact that an aide had emails says absolutely nothing. If something so simple to understand gets both sides in a hissy fit, maybe we are too stupid and too fearful to defend our democracy. I happen to believe the letter is one big nothing burger which would never have happened if Justice did not step all over themselves and Bill Clinton and the AG did not meet.

The Russians and the house Republicans in cahoots with the same are obvious to the educated voter. The stupids were going to vote for Trump anyway. I trust the judgment of the FBI director. I do not trust the AG, the justice departments neutrality, the russian's or house republicans. I consider myself an educated voter. Clearly this is a nothing burger, and if somebody gets excited about any of this when it is clear that Clinton is the only option for sound government, they need to take a chill pill.

Markle

Markle

Many folks here are intentionally ignoring the base problem.

Had the CLINTON'S never set up an illegal server, in their home, for the exclusive purpose of avoiding scrutiny of their illegal pay for play actions.

None of this could have been an issue had the Clinton's simply not been planning more criminal activities.

Second, had the Clinton's NOT set up their personal slush fund, the Bill, Hillary, and Chelsea Clinton Foundation for their PERSONAL benefit, none of this could have happened.

This is ALL ON the Clinton's. They can't help themselves.

DO NOT FORGET when Bill Clinton waited on the tarmac for Attorney General Loretta Lynch's aircraft to arrive. They then had a half hour meeting, on her plane where NO ONE ELSE WAS PRESENT.

Dirty.

Markle

Markle

[quote="2seaoat"]I disagree.  I just watched James Carville melt down on MSNBC.  He too argued a conspiracy with the FBI letter and the Russian attack on our sovereignty.  You have to assume that American voters do not get this and understand that the simple fact that an aide had emails says absolutely nothing.   If something so simple to understand gets both sides in a hissy fit, maybe we are too stupid and too fearful to defend our democracy.   I happen to believe the letter is one big nothing burger which would never have happened if Justice did not step all over themselves and Bill Clinton and the AG did not meet.

The Russians and the house Republicans in cahoots with the same are obvious to the educated voter.   The stupids were going to vote for Trump anyway.   I trust the judgment of the FBI director.  I do not trust the AG, the justice departments neutrality, the russian's or house republicans.  I consider myself an educated voter.  Clearly this is a nothing burger, and if somebody gets excited about any of this when it is clear that Clinton is the only option for sound government, they need to take a chill pill.[/quote

Welcome to the REAL 2seaoat.

However, to even attempt to say that finding 650,000 emails, on a device that was supposed to have ZERO is NOT a nothing burger. The FBI had seized four devices from Huma Abedin and her pervert husband Anthony Weiner. She had sworn to the government that she had no other government emails. They then found 650,000 emails. As you know, the 30,000 Hillary Clinton emails she had permanently erased COULD be on that laptop belonging to Weiner.

IF Hillary Clinton is elected, this will be what we will be forced to endure over the next four years.

Sal wrote:
2seaoat wrote:start the same stupid nonsense that Pace, Mr. Markle, and Pk live by in their fantasy world of make chit up to prosecute your political opponents.  

Asinine bothsiderism bullshit.

The Republicans have weaponized scorched earth partisan politics at every level of our government.

Here we have outside forces - foreign governments, interfering in the election on behalf of one party with the Wikileaks dumps.

We have the nominee of that party declaring his opponent is guilty of crimes and promising to jail her if he wins, suggesting that any other outcome is illegitimate.

We have the director of the government's most powerful police force ignoring his own bosses and abandoning all protocol and precedent to interfere in the election just ten days before it is to take place, benefiting the same party.

And we have a media which is ready and willing to run with all of this as it's being fed to them with virtually no concern that they are being used to undermine our democratic processes, excusing themselves with the fatuous "it's out there" and "that's our job."

We are quickly becoming a banana republic, but only one side is pushing us in that direction.

Hey loser, did you think that back in 1992 scumbucket?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/31/clintons-cheered-gop-indictment-4-days-1992-presid/

2seaoat

She will be elected and stupid cannot be helped until honorable people talk about real legal standards and what is required to prove a crime. It is just one more nothing burger for stupid people.

VectorMan

VectorMan

A week ago Comey was a Godsend to liberals.

If it helps. Anything to keep that hag out of the WH.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum