Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

See you folks in a few weeks, need a break

+7
Sal
Telstar
Joanimaroni
RealLindaL
Wordslinger
dumpcare
2seaoat
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

After 8 years of Bush and almost 8 years of obstruction of Obama by the GOP Congress, I will not apologize for "gloating".

Telstar

Telstar

Sal wrote:Wrong answer.

The basket of deplorables have been programmed to burn the mission down.

They need to be stomped into submission and/or relegated to the dustbin of history.

Their behavior and choices are neither forgivable nor redeemable.  

See you folks in a few weeks, need a break  - Page 2 58336e10

RealLindaL

OK people, have it your way, and have your fun.   But remember that the 40 or 50%, or whatever it ends up to be, of voters supporting Trump in this election are far from all being the deplorables we love to despise -- the white supremacists, xenophobes, racists, gay haters, etc.   Even Hillary judged it to only be half of his voters, and that was off the cuff.  This leaves a whole lot of good people who just happen to think differently, and/or who have, sadly, swallowed the swill they've been fed about Hillary all these years.  (I listened to about three minutes of Mark Levin earlier tonight, screaming his fool head off about how Hillary "...has DESIGNS on this country!!!" and realized once more just how hideously hateful and damaging to this country the right wing radio rhetoric truly is.)

As for the obstructionism Obama faced, FT, Hillary is likely to face the same, and personally I don't see how gloating helps in any way to ameliorate that situation.

Look, if Hillary prevails in the election, there will absolutely be reason to rejoice and celebrate.   I just don't understand why it's also necessary to throw it in the face of the losers, who will know damned well they lost.  Can't we be bigger than that??  Why in the world would anyone on the other side want to join in the work to improve this country when that would mean joining up with people who are ridiculing them for being on the losing side??   I will never understand how this is constructive.  

And Hillary is saying the same.   If y'all support her, how about listening to her?

If this makes me unpopular here, so be it.  I think I've said about all I can on the subject and will shut up now.

Sal

Sal

Sorry, "good people" won't vote for Trump.

Although, there are those who do have a valid reason to vote for him.

Those would be greedy, rich, unpatriotic, bigoted, misogynistic, white men.

But, I'm not in the mood to cut them any slack either.

knothead

knothead

I have to agree with Linda here . . . . . yes we can be happy if the Dems carry the day but as she articulated so well there is no class in spiking the ball in the end zone . . . . . the healing of divisions must begin somewhere and I would be proud to know my ideological side was the one who took the first step forward (toward reconciliation and redemption) to heal longstanding feuds and disagreements.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I agree with both Linda and Knothead. I credit the numerous right wing and flaming talk shows along with right wing alt. right web sites as well as Fox News (and while I'm at it) the candidates from the GOP who have plotted, supported and agreed with above mentioned dispensers of "information", no, make that propaganda for the emergence of Trump from the political swamp we are now trying to drain.

There are certain personality types, authoritarian personalities to be specific, who will always be attracted to candidates such as Trump. Trump is a master at speaking to these people. He has taken advantage of the decades of work that has gone into cultivating this pseudo patriotic, anti-government, pro-unfettered capitalism, quasi-Christian block of voters. He said all the things in a politically incorrect way that appealed to the pent up anger stewing there after President Obama's first and second election. Those voters were ready for him. He just took over the latent movement that had been built by others.

That being said I think the job now, somehow will be to try and nibble away at the edges of this group to try and talk them off the ledge. The left needs to basically re-inform or educate them in the reality of climate change, the need to reform the tax code, tell them about the wealth gap and the reasons for it, etc.

Not only is Hillary slated to win but we are in good shape to take back the Senate too. Think of Chuck Schumer as Senate Majority Leader and Bernie as the chairman of the budget committee. We don't have to spike the ball in the  end zone. For two years we will have the upper hand without the drag of a destroyed economy to repair that was such a problem for Obama.

Excluding flat out racists, misogynists, etc. I find most of the ardent Trump supporters guilty of failing to do their homework, of limiting their sources of political information to the narrow slanted sources cited above. Garbage in, garbage out. They will need time to recover from the loss. Further alienating them only adds to the problem. 20% or more will never change, the rest might listen to reason. 

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:I have to agree with Linda here . . . . . yes we can be happy if the Dems carry the day but as she articulated so well there is no class in spiking the ball in the end zone . . . . . the healing of divisions must begin somewhere and I would be proud to know my ideological side was the one who took the first step forward (toward reconciliation and redemption) to heal longstanding feuds and disagreements.

cheers     sunny

RealLindaL

othershoe1030 wrote:I agree with both Linda and Knothead. I credit the numerous right wing and flaming talk shows along with right wing alt. right web sites as well as Fox News (and while I'm at it) the candidates from the GOP who have plotted, supported and agreed with above mentioned dispensers of "information", no, make that propaganda for the emergence of Trump from the political swamp we are now trying to drain.

There are certain personality types, authoritarian personalities to be specific, who will always be attracted to candidates such as Trump. Trump is a master at speaking to these people. He has taken advantage of the decades of work that has gone into cultivating this pseudo patriotic, anti-government, pro-unfettered capitalism, quasi-Christian block of voters. He said all the things in a politically incorrect way that appealed to the pent up anger stewing there after President Obama's first and second election. Those voters were ready for him. He just took over the latent movement that had been built by others.

That being said I think the job now, somehow will be to try and nibble away at the edges of this group to try and talk them off the ledge. The left needs to basically re-inform or educate them in the reality of climate change, the need to reform the tax code, tell them about the wealth gap and the reasons for it, etc.

Not only is Hillary slated to win but we are in good shape to take back the Senate too. Think of Chuck Schumer as Senate Majority Leader and Bernie as the chairman of the budget committee. We don't have to spike the ball in the  end zone. For two years we will have the upper hand without the drag of a destroyed economy to repair that was such a problem for Obama.

Excluding flat out racists, misogynists, etc. I find most of the ardent Trump supporters guilty of failing to do their homework, of limiting their sources of political information to the narrow slanted sources cited above. Garbage in, garbage out. They will need time to recover from the loss. Further alienating them only adds to the problem. 20% or more will never change, the rest might listen to reason. 

Hoped to hear from you, O.S.  Thank you for your very astute comments.   sunny

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

The campaigns will end on November 8.  Either Trump or Hillary will be elected.  The problems that divide us will continue and things will have to get a lot worse before they can get better.

I will never shake hands with a racist, or someone who approves of sexual abuse, or someone who would take away a woman's right to choose. Or anyone who gets elected and sells their soul for corrupt campaign financing.  Fuck them and all the horses they ride!

Fuck them all, no compromise.  I wish every one of them severe chest pains for the rest of the year.

Down with Amerika Inc., corporate control of our government through corrupt campaign financing.  

Sal

Sal

If y'all have failed to notice, the wingnutz are not only vowing to continue their obstruction should Hillary be elected, they also are hinting at rejection of the election process and even armed sedition.

Sorry, no holding hands and singing kumbaya for me.

These reactionaries and reprobates must be wiped out completely and the earth salted where they once stood.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Sal wrote:If y'all have failed to notice, the wingnutz are not only vowing to continue their obstruction should Hillary be elected, they also are hinting at rejection of the election process and even armed sedition.

These reactionaries and reprobates must be wiped out completely and the earth salted where they once stood.

My late blood brother, a Lakota Hunkpapa Sioux, taught me that when someone says something with which you enthusiastically agree, you say: "Ho!" which indicates your approval of his or her statement.

Ho!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Wordslinger wrote:The campaigns will end on November 8.  Either Trump or Hillary will be elected.  The problems that divide us will continue and things will have to get a lot worse before they can get better.

I will never shake hands with a racist, or someone who approves of sexual abuse, or someone who would take away a woman's right to choose. Or anyone who gets elected and sells their soul for corrupt campaign financing.  Fuck them and all the horses they ride!

Fuck them all, no compromise.  I wish every one of them severe chest pains for the rest of the year.

Down with Amerika Inc., corporate control of our government through corrupt campaign financing.  

We have come to this point largely because the right wing has been very focused on developing their base by promising unreasonable support of the 2nd amendment, throwing gasoline on the issue of women's health issues, feeding the lie of trickle down economics, siding with the anti-science crew and so on. Add to this mix their success at taking over most state governments via gerrymandering and voter suppression tactics. This has been a lot of work sustained over decades. Fortunately Obama's message and personality was enough to break through all this and we took the White House two terms running.

All that being said we cannot afford to just throw a fit by cutting down the Trump supporters. Unfortunately many of them will harden their positions after the election, clamp their hands over their ears and continue to chant "lock her up". There will always be a hard core of unmovable people on that side. Some Trumpsters will eventually have to come up for the air of reality and those, the potential swing voters can be persuaded by science and other realities of the tax system to support Democrats or others who want to see a more progressive government.

As for badmouthing Hillary for taking corporate money I will wait and see what she supports as president. In all of history it has always, always been the well off and powerful who have run the kingdom and our culture is no different. If we want this to change we have to be willing to put in the effort of turning like-minded voters out in the off year elections, reforming the tax code, and reforming campaign financing. These are not easy or quick things to do. We are up against corporate media and right wing radio and soon, we suspect, Channel Trump. The path to change and the conversion of Trump supporters may not be completely clear but poking a finger in their eye and calling them names will definitely not win any hearts and minds.

2seaoat

Agree. The veto of extremist to actually implementing sound policy for Americans is not something you compromise.

The path to change and the conversion of Trump supporters may not be completely clear but poking a finger in their eye and calling them names will definitely not win any hearts and minds.

I am not concerned one little bit in changing or converting a Trump supporter. Do I use counter clever propaganda to fool them to sane policy? Do I somehow turn their racism into a compromise that my grandson's cousin is a lesser human being because he is non white? Not interested. I think the solution is good sound policy and programs which help Americans, and not the 1%, this Kumbaya mentality is offensive to me who has spent a lifetime fighting prejudice and working for sound programs for the American people. To give the veto power to stupid by some strange idea that civility will make Trump suporters convert to folks who see a Mexican, Muslim, or Black person as their equal, is probably the most patronizing idea I have heard advanced in a journey for sane policy choices in America.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:Sorry, no holding hands and singing kumbaya for me.

Agree.  The veto of extremist to actually implementing sound policy for Americans is not something you compromise.

The path to change and the conversion of Trump supporters may not be completely clear but poking a finger in their eye and calling them names will definitely not win any hearts and minds.

I am not concerned one little bit in changing or converting a Trump supporter.  Do I use counter clever propaganda to fool them to sane policy?  Do I somehow turn their racism into a compromise that my grandson's cousin is a lesser human being because he is non white?  Not interested.   I think the solution is good sound policy and programs which help Americans, and not the 1%, this Kumbaya mentality is offensive to me who has spent a lifetime fighting prejudice and working for sound programs for the American people.   To give the veto power to stupid by some strange idea that civility will make Trump suporters convert to folks who see a Mexican, Muslim, or Black person as their equal, is probably the most patronizing idea I have heard advanced in a journey for sane policy choices in America.

I guess I'm not expressing myself very well this morning. I did not mean to imply that the ardent Trump supporters and racists among them could be persuaded to a more rational way of thinking but only by sticking to the goal of reforms as outlined by Bernie and continuing to push forward the reality of science could we hope to sway them, those who are voting for Trump grudgingly, not the 'all in' as you say stupids.

It is going to be a long haul of year by year work. Trump is on the verge of trying to turn himself in to a martyr and gathering his minions for his new tv channel so unfortunately we will have him to put up with for as long as all this attention is to his liking.

The only bright side I can see at this point is that Trump has started a huuuge war within the R party and surely liberals can take advantage of their disarray.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

othershoe1030 wrote:

Agree.  The veto of extremist to actually implementing sound policy for Americans is not something you compromise.

I am not concerned one little bit in changing or converting a Trump supporter.  Do I use counter clever propaganda to fool them to sane policy?  Do I somehow turn their racism into a compromise that my grandson's cousin is a lesser human being because he is non white?  Not interested.   I think the solution is good sound policy and programs which help Americans, and not the 1%, this Kumbaya mentality is offensive to me who has spent a lifetime fighting prejudice and working for sound programs for the American people.   To give the veto power to stupid by some strange idea that civility will make Trump suporters convert to folks who see a Mexican, Muslim, or Black person as their equal, is probably the most patronizing idea I have heard advanced in a journey for sane policy choices in America.

I guess I'm not expressing myself very well this morning. I did not mean to imply that the ardent Trump supporters and racists among them could be persuaded to a more rational way of thinking but only by sticking to the goal of reforms as outlined by Bernie and continuing to push forward the reality of science could we hope to sway them, those who are voting for Trump grudgingly, not the 'all in' as you say stupids.

It is going to be a long haul of year by year work. Trump is on the verge of trying to turn himself in to a martyr and gathering his minions for his new tv channel so unfortunately we will have him to put up with for as long as all this attention is to his liking.

The only bright side I can see at this point is that Trump has started a huuuge war within the R party and surely liberals can take advantage of their disarray.

Dear OS: What you long for is the brotherhood that was supposed to extend from sea to shining sea. Unfortunately, what we're actually facing is more like The Shining.

If the hard right T-Partiers want to survive, let them do the changing. If not, fuck'm all.

Sal

Sal

Willful ignorance, intolerance, and bigotry are cancers on the body politic.

The Republicans have nurtured these characteristics in their base and look where it's gotten us.

The only way to treat these diseases is to isolate them, ostracize them, and ultimately snuff them out of society.

Telstar

Telstar

Sal wrote:Willful ignorance, intolerance, and bigotry are cancers on the body politic.

The Republicans have nurtured these characteristics in their base and look where it's gotten us.

The only way treat these diseases is to isolate them, ostracize them, and ultimately snuff them out of society.

Hard to make nice with them if they keep pulling the same stupid stunts like this every four years. Was the nomination his reward for this lame battle cry in 2012? If they insist on behaving like backward school children maybe it's time they really do face a long time-out.

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/07/donald_trump_loses_it_calls_for_revolution/

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Wordslinger wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Dear OS:  What you long for is the brotherhood that was supposed to extend from sea to shining sea.  Unfortunately, what we're actually facing is more like The Shining.  

If the hard right T-Partiers want to survive, let them do the changing.  If not, fuck'm all.  

No, not a brotherhood just some reasonable and informed discussions. Absolutely agree that the Tea baggers must do the changing. I'm hoping some of them will crack under the strain of losing another presidential election. Some will finally recognize the error of their ways re their unappealing positions. They will either try to change the Republican Party or will register as Independents and vote with Democrats OR they may just try and set fire to what's left of the GOP, tear it to shreds fighting over their unbendable "principles" and give us the WH for as far as the eye can see. Sorry to have given you the impression I was willing to co-exist with the likes of the Trumpsters. They have to face reality. They are in the minority. They can either change or lose again and again. Either one works for me.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sal wrote:Willful ignorance, intolerance, and bigotry are cancers on the body politic.

The only way to treat these diseases is to isolate them, ostracize them, and ultimately snuff them out of society.

Yes. Isolation works for me. Send them all to deep red states and let them vote their hearts out without contaminating the rest of the country. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, those look good to me.

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:

Yes. Isolation works for me. Send them all to deep red states and let them vote their hearts out without contaminating the rest of the country. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, those look good to me.

Texas is very quickly turning blue.

2seaoat

I listened to Uncle Bernie for five years on Thom Hartman's radio show. Bernie four years ago talked about how progressives have not learned from the Republicans. The Republicans compromise on nothing. They keep pushing the envelope further right, while Democrats foolishly try to compromise their progressive ideals to find middle ground which keeps going further and further right. Ronald Reagan would be considered a progressive in 2016, yet folks are talking about compromise and middle ground on the Alt right which has perfected the non compromise and take no prisoners which includes obstruction. Well Bernie made it clear. Give no ground on progressive principles. Do NOT be reasonable if that means compromising on what is correct policy for America. I agree.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

There are two different groups in this equation. One is the more fluid group of voters who can easily switch party registration or voting patterns. Those are the people I think liberals should work on to try and get them to look at the scientific facts of climate change and the rest of the progressive issues.

On the other hand there is the leadership of the GOP, a much more solid group. With them there is basically no hope of seeing any change. They would rather go down with their misguided ship than change course as they have so clearly demonstrated by their failure to adjust their policies to make them appealing to a larger group of voters. They face the problem that if they change they no longer feel like Republicans of old. They are incapable of evolving; they are too rigid. They are doomed at the national level at this point because they are on the wrong side of history on so many issues.

Telstar

Telstar

othershoe1030 wrote:There are two different groups in this equation. One is the more fluid group of voters who can easily switch party registration or voting patterns. Those are the people I think liberals should work on to try and get them to look at the scientific facts of climate change and the rest of the progressive issues.

On the other hand there is the leadership of the GOP, a much more solid group. With them there is basically no hope of seeing any change. They would rather go down with their misguided ship than change course as they have so clearly demonstrated by their failure to adjust their policies to make them appealing to a larger group of voters. They face the problem that if they change they no longer feel like Republicans of old. They are incapable of evolving; they are too rigid. They are doomed at the national level at this point because they are on the wrong side of history on so many issues.

See you folks in a few weeks, need a break  - Page 2 Dead_g10

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Telstar wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:There are two different groups in this equation. One is the more fluid group of voters who can easily switch party registration or voting patterns. Those are the people I think liberals should work on to try and get them to look at the scientific facts of climate change and the rest of the progressive issues.

See you folks in a few weeks, need a break  - Page 2 Dead_g10

We're going to see the Walking Dead for a while during the next few years. It will be interesting. At this point it is impossible to even talk to their leaders in a reasonable way about things like CO2, minimum wage issues, etc. so any clear-headed R's left will have to vote these jokers out in order to form a new, what(?) pro-business party? Fiscally more conservative party? I can't see that happening.  

2seaoat

There is only truth. Truth stands on its own merits. If fascist propaganda can appeal to folks who want to abandon American principles of democracy for strong autocratic fascist government, I will be damned if I am going to stop standing for the truth. I am a fricking Republican. I am not a democrat, but I will not compromise or try to bring in fools by somehow glad handing principles. I am taking all kinds of chit from fellow Republicans because I put a sign up which said this Republican is voting for Hillary Clinton. It has been none stop. I am now getting prank calls from Trump fund raisers because I told them I spent a $100 plus to put up signs announcing this Republican is voting for Hillary. I do not care to compromise with idiocy. I do not intend to compromise the truth. I will fight for the truth and the American system till the day I take my last breath, and they can call three times a day, and laugh about supporting Hillary, but if good people stand on principle the truth will stand, but if I go with this insane idea that falsehoods should be compromised and the truth should take a back seat to bringing in people to heal America......nonsense.....America heals with the truth.....nothing but the truth.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum