Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Armageddon Asteroid

+2
RealLindaL
2seaoat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty The Armageddon Asteroid 7/31/2016, 7:01 pm

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/nasa-to-nab-bit-of-armageddon-asteroid-99gtg76n9

2The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 7/31/2016, 7:51 pm

2seaoat

I saw the movie.....Bruce Willis will be a little old, but he will drill the hole and an atomic bomb will blow it up. Demi Moore will be married to one of my grandsons, and the world will be saved.

3The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 7/31/2016, 8:04 pm

Big deal... I lived through 2012... and 1984.

4The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 7/31/2016, 8:34 pm

2seaoat

Big deal... I lived through 2012... and 1984.

You thought you did.....you are really in purgatory...........waiting to move to hell........where you will become a campaign manager for Escambia County as Hillary Clinton's main man........knowing that her deleted emails were from Bob who has the secret codes for the bomb to be put on the astroid.....they were clearly marked classified, as Bob really is ET having first visited Escambia County when Spanish explorers first came and found his universe wide waste management disposal site in Pensacola......Bob knows how to blow up Astroids and damn generations to environmental clusters, and you must work hard to elect Hillary who will continue through the Clinton Foundation to keep the waste site a secret, yet people in the know understand that the waste site is located in Bob's backyard, and Hillary deleted the same email which disclosed the same. Lock her up.....lock her up......lock her up......and Bob too, those are not milk duds he is sneaking into the theater, but the entire universe waste pellets which he strategically drops on the floor of the theater damning Escambia County only to have the devil laughing that he did not pay for those three little girls singing at his rally.

Ha.....you thought you made it through 2012.

5The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/1/2016, 1:02 am

RealLindaL

Milk duds as universe waste...wow. Who knew??

But don't forget we all made it through the Y2K thing, too. Nothing can touch us now.

6The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/1/2016, 9:31 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Big deal... I lived through 2012... and 1984.

You thought you did.....you are really in purgatory...........waiting to move to hell........where you will become a campaign manager for Escambia County as Hillary Clinton's main man........knowing that her deleted emails were from Bob who has the secret codes for the bomb to be put on the astroid.....they were clearly marked classified, as Bob really is ET having first visited Escambia County when Spanish explorers first came and found his universe wide waste management disposal site in Pensacola......Bob knows how to blow up Astroids and damn generations to environmental clusters, and you must work hard to elect Hillary who will continue through the Clinton Foundation to keep the waste site a secret, yet people in the know understand that the waste site is located in Bob's backyard, and Hillary deleted the same email which disclosed the same.  Lock her up.....lock her up......lock her up......and Bob too, those are not milk duds he is sneaking into the theater, but the entire universe waste pellets which he strategically drops on the floor of the theater damning Escambia County only to have the devil laughing that he did not pay for those three little girls singing at his rally.

Ha.....you thought you made it through 2012.

I went to see the new Star Trek movie at the Bayou 15.  It's a good thing I brought in popcorn,  two bottles of Coke Zero,  and peanut M&M's cause the movie was nothing but the twelth rehash of the same old thing.  Without the snacks I surely would have dozed off. Not even all the explosions and klingon mayhem could have kept me awake.

7The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/1/2016, 9:34 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

By the way,  I've decided that all this star wars/star trek space opera shit is just so damn cynical.
It has the whole goddamn universe being nothing but a bunch of violent assholes warring and fighting with each other.  God how simple-minded and pessimistic.  I thought I was cynical but the ones who create this shit are uber cynical.

8The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/1/2016, 10:03 am

RealLindaL

Bob wrote:I thought I was cynical but the ones who create this shit are uber cynical.

Perhaps even worse to contemplate, depending on whether or not one really worries about the nature of cultural fantasies: they wouldn't keep creating this stuff if our society didn't eat it up big time.

9The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/1/2016, 10:09 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:By the way,  I've decided that all this star wars/star trek space opera shit is just so damn cynical.
It has the whole goddamn universe being nothing but a bunch of violent assholes warring and fighting with each other.  God how simple-minded and pessimistic.  I thought I was cynical but the ones who create this shit are uber cynical.
I went to the movie with my son in law awhile back. When he came to pick me up I had a tote bag with a light throw in it. He asked why I was taking a blanket. I lifted the blanket and showed him my two bags of popcorn and two cokes. I reminded him that older women can take tote bags anywhere. On the way to the movie, he stopped by Wendy's and ordered a triple burger and fries. He lifted my blanket and put his WENDY's order in the tote. Great movie.

10The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/1/2016, 10:18 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I've taken a lot of stuff into the movie theater but it never occurred to me to take a cheeseburger and fries in with me.
You and your son-in-law are my new heroes.

11The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/1/2016, 12:14 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

RealLindaL wrote:
Perhaps even worse to contemplate, depending on whether or not one really worries about the nature of cultural fantasies:  they wouldn't keep creating this stuff if our society didn't eat it up big time.  

In 1951 they created an outer space themed movie that was different. The only warring and violence in that one was what was done by the Earthlings.
The extraterrestrial was the peacemaker. One of the lines of dialogue from that movie is my forum signature.

I prefer to believe that what's out there in the big unknown will save us from ourselves someday. It won't be Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker saving anyone from anything. And it won't be Jesus or Muhammed. They will all need to be rescued like all the rest of us.

12The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/1/2016, 6:06 pm

Markle

Markle

I've never taken anything to a movie. Not sure why, just never did.

There was that time when I was about 17 and we took cherry bombs into the Riveria theatre in South Miami. That didn't end well....

13The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/1/2016, 6:17 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Markle wrote:I've never taken anything to a movie.  Not sure why, just never did.

There was that time when I was about 17 and we took cherry bombs into the Riveria theatre in South Miami.  That didn't end well....
Lol.....I 'll stick with snacks.

14The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/2/2016, 1:08 am

Telstar

Telstar

Bob wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
Perhaps even worse to contemplate, depending on whether or not one really worries about the nature of cultural fantasies:  they wouldn't keep creating this stuff if our society didn't eat it up big time.  

In 1951 they created an outer space themed movie that was different. The only warring and violence in that one was what was done by the Earthlings.
The extraterrestrial was the peacemaker. One of the lines of dialogue from that movie is my forum signature.

I prefer to believe that what's out there in the big unknown will save us from ourselves someday. It won't be Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker saving anyone from anything. And it won't be Jesus or Muhammed. They will all need to be rescued like all the rest of us.

Thanks for the review. Think I'll wait for the DVD and watch reruns of the original series episodes like City on the Edge of Forever and The Trouble With Tribbles. Bob I think Klaattu is supposed to be Jesus, the space age version. He goes by the name of Carpenter. He returns from the dead. He warns that next time he will just send Gort who will destroy the world with fire. I wonder if there were any investigations into the deaths of the two soldiers that Gort vaporized. Just imagine actor Michael Rennie with a beard. He grew one in two years later when he played Saint Peter in The Robe.

15The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/2/2016, 7:07 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Telstar wrote:
Bob wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

In 1951 they created an outer space themed movie that was different.  The only warring and violence in that one was what was done by the Earthlings.
The extraterrestrial was the peacemaker.    One of the lines of dialogue from that movie is my forum signature.

I prefer to believe that what's out there in the big unknown will save us from ourselves someday.  It won't be Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker saving anyone from anything.  And it won't be Jesus or Muhammed.  They will all need to be rescued like all the rest of us.

Thanks for the review. Think I'll wait for the DVD and watch reruns of the original series episodes like City on the Edge of Forever and The Trouble With Tribbles. Bob I think Klaattu is supposed to be Jesus, the space age version. He goes by the name of Carpenter. He returns from the dead. He warns that next time he will just send Gort who will destroy the world with fire. I wonder if there were any investigations into the deaths of the two soldiers that Gort vaporized. Just imagine actor Michael Rennie with a beard. He grew one in two years later when he played Saint Peter in The Robe.

from the movie's wiki page...

Metaphors

In a 1995 interview, producer Julian Blaustein explained that Joseph Breen, the film censor installed by the Motion Picture Association of America at the Twentieth Century Fox studios, balked at the portrayal of Klaatu's resurrection and limitless power.[8] At the behest of the MPAA, a line was inserted into the film; when Helen asks Klaatu whether Gort has unlimited power over life and death, Klaatu explains that Gort has only revived him temporarily and "that power is reserved to the Almighty Spirit".[8][10] Of the elements that he added to Klaatu's character, screenwriter Edmund North said, "It was my private little joke. I never discussed this angle with Blaustein or Wise because I didn't want it expressed. I had originally hoped that the Christ comparison would be subliminal".[11]

That the question even came up in an interview is proof enough that such comparisons did not remain subliminal, but they are subtle enough that it is not immediately obvious to all viewers that those elements were intended to compare Klaatu to Christ.[12] When Klaatu escapes from the hospital, he steals the clothing of a "Maj. Carpenter", carpentry being the profession Jesus learned from his father Joseph. He presents himself as John Carpenter, the same initials as Jesus Christ. His previous actions are misunderstood, and he is eventually killed. At the end of the film, Klaatu, having risen from the dead, then ascends into the (night) sky. Other parallels include: his befriending of a child; possessing wisdom and specialized scientific knowledge beyond any human being; people being given a sign of his power.[13]

But that wasn't what was on the minds of the group of Earthlings I first watched it with.  That was when it was first presented on television in the 1950's.  I was seven years old and I watched it with my father while my family was visiting the family of his World War 2 army buddy in South Carolina.
It was one of the only two times I ever saw my Dad cry.  And so did his friend.   They were no doubt thinking about what it could be like if Klaatu and Gort really did exist and really could stop wars.  It wasn't so much that they saw Jesus in it.  Just that after three and a half years in combat in the South Pacific jungles, they were so sick of war.

16The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/2/2016, 12:00 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Bob wrote:
Telstar wrote:
Bob wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

In 1951 they created an outer space themed movie that was different.  The only warring and violence in that one was what was done by the Earthlings.
The extraterrestrial was the peacemaker.    One of the lines of dialogue from that movie is my forum signature.

I prefer to believe that what's out there in the big unknown will save us from ourselves someday.  It won't be Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker saving anyone from anything.  And it won't be Jesus or Muhammed.  They will all need to be rescued like all the rest of us.

from the movie's wiki page...

Metaphors

In a 1995 interview, producer Julian Blaustein explained that Joseph Breen, the film censor installed by the Motion Picture Association of America at the Twentieth Century Fox studios, balked at the portrayal of Klaatu's resurrection and limitless power.[8] At the behest of the MPAA, a line was inserted into the film; when Helen asks Klaatu whether Gort has unlimited power over life and death, Klaatu explains that Gort has only revived him temporarily and "that power is reserved to the Almighty Spirit".[8][10] Of the elements that he added to Klaatu's character, screenwriter Edmund North said, "It was my private little joke. I never discussed this angle with Blaustein or Wise because I didn't want it expressed. I had originally hoped that the Christ comparison would be subliminal".[11]

That the question even came up in an interview is proof enough that such comparisons did not remain subliminal, but they are subtle enough that it is not immediately obvious to all viewers that those elements were intended to compare Klaatu to Christ.[12] When Klaatu escapes from the hospital, he steals the clothing of a "Maj. Carpenter", carpentry being the profession Jesus learned from his father Joseph. He presents himself as John Carpenter, the same initials as Jesus Christ. His previous actions are misunderstood, and he is eventually killed. At the end of the film, Klaatu, having risen from the dead, then ascends into the (night) sky. Other parallels include: his befriending of a child; possessing wisdom and specialized scientific knowledge beyond any human being; people being given a sign of his power.[13]

But that wasn't what was on the minds of the group of Earthlings I first watched it with.  That was when it was first presented on television in the 1950's.  I was seven years old and I watched it with my father while my family was visiting the family of his World War 2 army buddy in South Carolina.
It was one of the only two times I ever saw my Dad cry.  And so did his friend.   They were no doubt thinking about what it could be like if Klaatu and Gort really did exist and really could stop wars.  It wasn't so much that they saw Jesus in it.  Just that after three and a half years in combat in the South Pacific jungles, they were so sick of war.

There are some great little bits in the film. At the boarding house where Klattu takes refuge as Mr.Carpenter, some of the residents are discussing the spaceman at the breakfast table.
Resident#1, "Why doesn't the government do something about this?" Resident#2, " They're only people."
Resident#1," People my foot...they're Democrats!" Another resident portrayed by Francis Bavier, the actress who went on to play Aunt Bea on "The Andy Griffith Show" mentions that Klaatu comes from right hear on Earth. She adds with a nod and a wink, "And you know where I mean." BTW, the Soviets refused to attend Klaatu's meeting, so we know what she means.
A couple of doctors who examined Klaatu remark about the great physical shape he's in. How he's 70 years old yet looks 40 and how medical science is so far advanced on his planet. Meanwhile they both light up and start puffing away on cigarettes. Another doctor enters the room and says he's so frustrated that he might as well go out and get drunk. I hear there were studies way back in the early 50's about how hazardous smoking was to your health. They kept a lid on these studies. After all the TV industry was just getting started and think of all the millions of dollars that would be lost without all those cigarette ads. Good for the cigarette industry, the young TV industry, sure kept the medical profession busy but not so good for those who got hooked on smoking. No problem because,"Nine out of ten doctors smoke Camels, we recommend you do too." Of course a few decades later they admitted, "I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV." these days they just warn you to call your doctor if it persist more than four hours. BTW, Michael Rennie passed away in 1971 at the age of 62. He died from Emphysema. He was a heavy smoker.

17The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/2/2016, 1:55 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Interesting stuff about TDTEST, Telstar.

Did you know the doorman at Grauman's Chinese Theater, Lock Martin, was chosen to wear the Gort suit? He was the tallest person director Robert Wise could find. Martin was 7' 7"...

The Armageddon Asteroid  Lockmartin%20(33)

The Armageddon Asteroid  Gort

18The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/2/2016, 7:29 pm

Telstar

Telstar

19The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/2/2016, 7:56 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

20The Armageddon Asteroid  Empty Re: The Armageddon Asteroid 8/3/2016, 12:36 am

Telstar

Telstar

This might interest you Bob. It co stars Jean Peters instead of Neal and it's narrated by famous voice artist Paul Frees.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum