Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Harvard economist found no evidence of racial bias in police shootings

+5
RealLindaL
Wordslinger
ZVUGKTUBM
Hospital Bob
Markle
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Salinsky wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Salinsky wrote:I find that terminology repulsive and hurtful.

Repulsive and hurtful? Lol... quite the condemnation. Imagine if a conservative referred to obama as an oreo.

Would that be your reaction?

Repulsive and hurtful is not a condemnation?

You really do have a problem with terminologies, Poindexter.

No vitriol... no labels... no personal attack. No... your comment was just a general observation. No surprise to me. However... you can take some vague comment or reference and go off the rails if a pub says something you disagree with.

Why is it that leftists don't play by the same set of rules that they project upon others? A general lack of ethics?

Hello? I guess this drives home the frivolous nature of the race card for good. Leftists don't actually give a god damn about racism... they just throw it around for political purposes to try to escape their flawed positions. They're flat phonies.

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:Let me make a guess here ... I'll bet the Harvard expert is white, right?  And maybe from Pensacola or Birmingham, or Charleston ...  

When I see a police car moving up behind me I worry if I'm going to get a traffic ticket.

My black friends worry if they're going to walk away from the situation.

Fuck racist Harvard professors!

Tell him that Mr Assumption.....

Harvard economist found no evidence of racial bias in police shootings - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcG5pCvBmNw4kspTC0bAy-UazCKq3-FrOKEAiyBjq-FRcJRreg

Oops, I see I was wrong.  Can you spell Oreo?

Blazing racism from Wordslinger continues. Add to that his bigotry and all Wordslinger needs is one of Robert Byrds left over robes and hoods.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote: all Wordslinger needs is one of Robert Byrds left over robes and hoods.

All you need is one of these:

Harvard economist found no evidence of racial bias in police shootings - Page 2 450091-a-dunce-cap-sitting-on-a-stool-in-the-corner-of-an-old-schoolhouse

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

So you implicitly support slinger calling a black harvard professor an oreo because his findings are contrary to your beliefs?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:So you implicitly support slinger calling a black harvard professor an oreo because his findings are contrary to your beliefs?

Black or white, Harvard professors can be as wrong as anyone on any subject -- Just like this one is. Q: What's your opinion, just what percent of Black Americans would agree with this guy -- that there is no racism in cop shootings of suspects? This professor is just like the token liberal on a FOX News panel. He's there and Markle uses him the same way Roger Ailes uses Juan Williams.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Black college professors are some of the most racist people of all.

Wordslinger wrote:
PkrBum wrote:So you implicitly support slinger calling a black harvard professor an oreo because his findings are contrary to your beliefs?

Black or white, Harvard professors can be as wrong as anyone on any subject -- Just like this one is. Q: What's your opinion, just what percent of Black Americans would agree with this guy -- that there is no racism in cop shootings of suspects? This professor is just like the token liberal on a FOX News panel. He's there and Markle uses him the same way Roger Ailes uses Juan Williams.

Whether you agree with his findings or juan's opinion or not... it doesn't give you the right to use racial slurs. The only interesting thing I find in this thread is the pass you were given. Seagoat, sal, et al wouldn't do that for a person they opposed politically. That you can't deny. The race card has lost any and all validity... its proven simply to be a political and argumentative tool... period. If y'all actually and truly cared about racism that wouldn't be the case... and you wouldn't use such a term.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Bio for the Harvard professor.

"Roland G. Fryer, Jr. is the Henry Lee Professor of Economics at Harvard University and faculty director of the Education Innovation Laboratory (EdLabs). Fryer's research combines economic theory, empirical evidence, and randomized experiments to help design more effective government policies. His work on education, inequality, and race has been widely cited in media outlets and Congressional testimony.

Professor Fryer was awarded a MacArthur "Genius" Fellowship and the John Bates Clark Medal -- given by the American Economic Association to the best American Economist under age 40. Among other honors, he is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and a recipient of the Calvó-Armengol Prize and the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers. At age 30, he became the youngest African-American to receive tenure at Harvard.

His current research focuses on education reform, social interactions, and police use of force.

Before coming to Harvard, Fryer worked at McDonald's (drive-thru, not corporate)"

http://scholar.harvard.edu/fryer/biocv

That last line would indicate that this professor is not some spoiled black rich kid,  and instead he worked himself up from being a McDonalds burger flipper.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

The issue really isn't about what the professor's race is, it's about his outrageous findings on whether racism plays a role in police shootings of civilians. Clearly black Americans are more likely than whites to be pulled over by a cop, arrested, sent to jail and convicted, brutalized or shot to death. It's incredible to accept that these facts are not due to the victim's skin color.

Reality.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 04:56 AM CST

"Sorry conservatives, new research from Harvard shows a profound amount of racism by police…not less of it.

Don't believe the right-wing spin about Harvard's damning study that illustrates how cops target blacks

Chauncey DeVega
[/b]

Topics: African Americans, Civil Rights, Harvard, Police brutality, Race, Racism, Roland Fryer, Social News, News, Politics News
Sorry conservatives, new research from Harvard shows a profound amount of racism by police…not less of it
(Credit: AP/Gerald Herbert)

Philando Castile was killed by a Minneapolis-area police officer while giving him his identification. Like so many other black men, Levar Jones was also shot by a white police officer while fully complying with his commands. Eric Garner was choked to death while screaming “I can’t breathe.” John Crawford III was killed in a Walmart by police because he was carrying a toy gun that he wanted to purchase. Jonathan Ferrel was killed by a white police officer while seeking help after a car accident. 12-year-old Tamir Rice was street executed by the Cleveland police in less than 3 seconds.

Stories and personal experiences of police thuggery and violence are so common in the black community that they constitute a type of collective memory and group trauma.

Thus, it is a type of common sense fact that America’s police are more likely to use lethal force against black people than they are whites. But what if this is not true?

New research by Harvard University economist Roland Freyer severely upsets this narrative.

The New York Times explains how:

In shootings in these 10 cities involving officers, officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white. Black and white civilians involved in police shootings were equally likely to have been carrying a weapon. Both results undercut the idea of racial bias in police use of lethal force.

But police shootings are only part of the picture. What about situations in which an officer might be expected to fire, but doesn’t?

To answer this, Mr. Fryer focused on one city, Houston. The Police Department there let the researchers look at reports not only for shootings but also for arrests when lethal force might have been justified. Mr. Fryer defined this group to include encounters with suspects the police subsequently charged with serious offenses like attempting to murder an officer, or evading or resisting arrest. He also considered suspects shocked with Tasers.

Mr. Fryer found that in such situations, officers in Houston were about 20 percent less likely to shoot if the suspects were black. This estimate was not precise, and firmer conclusions would require more data. But in various models controlling for different factors and using different definitions of tense situations, Mr. Fryer found that blacks were either less likely to be shot or there was no difference between blacks and whites.

In a celebratory response to Freyer’s new research, the right-wing news entertainment media is smearing the graves of black people who have been killed by America’s police while simultaneously mocking and deriding the Black Lives Matter movement and its struggle for human dignity. For conservatives, Freyer’s work is also a vindication of their fantastical and delusional belief that systematic and institutional racism against people of color in the United States is largely a myth.

Of course, matters are much more complicated.

Freyer’s research on police use of lethal force is not a definitive rebuttal or wholesale rejection of the racial disparities that exist in how America’s cops treat black people as compared to whites. For example, it does not disprove that the recent video recorded killings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile were driven by anti-black racism. Freyer’s conclusions, like other research of this type, speak to macro-level societal phenomenon and not every individual case.

While many conservatives are crowing about Freyer’s finding that police may not, in fact, be more likely to use lethal force against black people, they are conveniently refusing to acknowledge how his work provides further evidence of anti-black bias (and casual, day-to-day brutality) by the country’s cops:

The New York Times continues with:

Moreover, the results do not mean that the general public’s perception of racism in policing is misguided. Lethal uses of force are exceedingly rare. There were 1.6 million arrests in Houston in the years Mr. Fryer studied. Officers fired their weapons 507 times. What is far more common are nonlethal uses of force.

And in these uses of force, Mr. Fryer found racial differences, which is in accord with public perception and other studies.

In New York City, blacks stopped by the police were about 17 percent more likely to experience use of force, according to stop-and-frisk records kept between 2003 and 2013. (In the later year, a judge ruled that the tactic as employed then was unconstitutional.)

That gap, adjusted for suspect behavior and other factors, was surprisingly consistent across various levels of force. Black suspects were 18 percent more likely to be pushed up against a wall, 16 percent more likely to be handcuffed without being arrested and 18 percent more likely to be pushed to the ground.

Even when the police said that civilians were compliant, blacks experienced more force."

Reality.

Sooo... no racial slur this time... eh?

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:Sooo... no racial slur this time... eh?

Is "racial slur" the magic conjuring terminology for this thread?

Kinda like "radical Islamic terrorism" in the BENGHAZI!!!11!!1!1 threads?

Salinsky wrote:

We get it. Only those you disagree with are attacked for real or perceived racial slurs and bias. How convenient comrade.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

My gosh, I'm stung to the core by your cynical slur. Not. It's more than interesting to see you don't follow issues, only opponents you live and breath to offend. LOL

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wordslinger wrote:The issue really isn't about what the professor's race is

Then why did you post this to this same thread?  lol

"Let me make a guess here ... I'll bet the Harvard expert is white, right?"

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

We get it. Only those you disagree with are attacked for real or perceived racial slurs and bias. How convenient comrade.

Your sig line and your habit of calling everyone "comrade" speak volumes, along with your habit of ignoring every challenge to the scandal du jour the GOP tries to mount against the President and Mrs. Clinton. Are you now in the Trump camp? How predictable and nauseating.

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

Your sig line and your habit of calling everyone "comrade" speak volumes, along with your habit of ignoring every challenge to the scandal du jour the GOP tries to mount against the President and Mrs. Clinton. Are you now in the Trump camp? How predictable and nauseating.

I'm certainly NOT in the trump camp. Let's reverse this scenario... a pub calls a black harvard professor an OREO.

You tell me what the reaction would be. Be honest.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:The issue really isn't about what the professor's race is

Then why did you post this to this same thread?  lol

"Let me make a guess here ... I'll bet the Harvard expert is white, right?"

Simply another glaring example of the radical racism and bigotry Wordslinger doesn't even try to conceal.

Then when my good friend Wordslinger learned the author was black, he proceeded to denigrate the BLACK author.

Yep, we'll never rid the country of racism entirely but it sure would be nice to get back to the "good ol' days". Those days prior to Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama bought the Oval Office.

PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

I'm certainly NOT in the trump camp. Let's reverse this scenario... a pub calls a black harvard professor an OREO.

Uhuh... just as I suspected. But you aren't near the hypocrit sal or seagoat are... so you have that going for you.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:Read the original report by the New York Times.  It's nuanced.
It appears blacks are treated rougher by the cops,  but the study reveals that blacks are not more likely to get killed by cops.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=1

I read the entire report and STILL posted the link to the information.

You see, the difference between Progressives and me is that I'm not afraid of the FACTS and I don't have to spin and lie.

Attention everyone... the race card is dead. No one stepped up to condemn slinger for using the term oreo. Those that throw around labels like racist have zero credibility that didn't step up here. If anything its good. Now let's have honest dialogue. Don't hide behind demogoguery and propaganda anymore. Debate on the facts on even ground... if you have the integrity and courage. Or shut the fuck up you posers.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

You see, the difference between Progressives and me is that I'm not afraid of the FACTS and I don't have to spin and lie.

When it comes to spin, you and the progressives both have mastered that.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

Your sig line and your habit of calling everyone "comrade" speak volumes, along with your habit of ignoring every challenge to the scandal du jour the GOP tries to mount against the President and Mrs. Clinton.  Are you now in the Trump camp?  How predictable and nauseating.

I don't like that slur at all but for some reason can't imagine a Republican taking the time or having the insight to even be bothered by it. It's usually a black-on-black criticism. The author of that study has a great mind but a troubled past. Here is a study he authored in 2009:

http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fryer/files/an_empirical_analysis_of_acting_white.pdf

Abstract
Using a newly available data set, which allows one to construct a novel measure of a student’s social
status, we demonstrate that there are potentially important racial differences in the relationship between
social status and academic achievement. The effect is intensified among students with a grade point
average (GPA) of 3.5 or higher and those in schools with more interracial contact. Earlier studies showing
a positive relationship between popularity and academic achievement for blacks are sensitive to the
inclusion of more continuous achievement measures. We argue that the data are most consistent with a
model of ‘acting white’ in which investments in education are taken as a signal of one’s opportunity costs
of peer-group loyalty, though imprecise estimates make definitive conclusions difficult.

[...]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://wzakcleveland.hellobeautiful.com/3628865/tom-joyner-news-little-known-black-history-fact-roland-g-fryer-jr/

Harvard University economics professor Roland G. Fryer, Jr. endured a tough childhood full of crime and dysfunction to become the youngest Black person to earn tenure at the prestigious school. Fryer was born in Daytona Beach, Fla. on June 4, 1977. His mother, Rita, was a classically trained musician and his father was once a high school math teacher.

According to Fryer, his mother abandoned him when he was 4, although a New York Times profile suggests that the father essentially took his son away. Fryer was raised in Lewisville, Texas after his mother moved to Tulsa, Okla. He spent summers in Daytona Beach with his grandmother, witnessing his older cousins and uncles engaging in selling crack cocaine.

One of those summers, he saw the family’s crack operation eradicated after a federal raid which led to convictions for his grandmother, grandfather and two cousins.Back in Lewisville, Fryer was a standout basketball and football player but was also selling drugs and committing petty crimes. However, he was able to win an athletic scholarship from the University of Texas at Arlington, but never played for the school.

He joined the Honors College and won an academic scholarship, graduating in two years while maintaining a full-time job. He earned a Ph.D in Economics from Penn State in 2002. He became a member of Harvard’s faculty shortly after, joining its Society of Fellows. Although he was only able to do research work early on, his work impressed his collegiate mentors and peers.

Read more of this story at blackamericaweb

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum