Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Petition: Tell DEP: Don't allow more toxic fracking chemicals in Florida's water

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

https://act.credoaction.com/sign/fla_water_toxics?t=7&akid=18186.1976086.G1urAI

According to reports this week from the Tallahassee Democrat, Florida officials are preparing to weaken restrictions on two dozen toxic chemicals in Florida’s water — including tripling the allowable level of benzene, a cancer-causing chemical used in Fracking.1

Thanks to public pushback, fracking still isn’t allowed in Florida, but the fracking industry is trying hard to change that. This plan to increase allowable benzene levels could be a backdoor attempt to help pave the way for fracking in the Sunshine State.2

As the Department of Environmental Protection considers these new standards, this is a vital moment for Floridians to speak out for the safety of their water.

Tell the Florida Department of Environmental Protection: Protect Florida’s water. Don’t weaken toxic standards that could pave the way for fracking.

While officials at the Department of Environmental Protection claim increasing benzene levels has nothing to do with fracking, it’s hard to take them at their word given the recent actions of the fracking industry in Florida.

After the oil and gas industry gave at least $443,000 to top Republicans in the legislature, the Florida house voted in February to pass a bill that would open the door to fracking, preempt local fracking bans, and provide exemptions for companies to avoid disclosing what chemicals they’re using.

Thanks to an outcry from Floridians, including nearly 10,000 CREDO Activists, the bill died in the state Senate. But we know the industry is not done — and we can’t let weakening toxics standards open the door for endangering Florida’s precious water with toxic fracking in fragile ecosystems.

With 90 percent of Floridians relying on groundwater aquifers for their drinking water, increasing levels of toxic contaminants is dangerous. And with the state so vulnerable to impacts from a heating planet, any attempt to expand fossil fuels and fracking should be a non-starter.

Tell the Florida Department of Environmental Protection: Protect Florida’s water. Don’t weaken toxic standards that could pave the way for fracking.

"Public blasts DEP over new water toxics limits," Tallahassee Democrat, 5/17/16
"Florida Proposes Tripling Amount Of Benzene That Can Be Polluted Into State Waters," ThinkProgress, 5/17/16
"House rejects attempts to impose health restrictions on oil and gas fracking," Tampa Bay Times, 1/26/16

(I had to reload the page to sign the petition.)

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Floridatexan wrote:https://act.credoaction.com/sign/fla_water_toxics?t=7&akid=18186.1976086.G1urAI

Can you prove that fracking has affected groundwater in Florida? There is actually very little petroleum production in Florida.

Almost all fracking occurs thousands of feet below any potable water aquifers.

Does not your daughter work in the oil industry, and would you be happy if anti-petroleum interests rendered her unemployable?

Disclaimer: I happen to be pro-petroleum (because of family interests) while also realizing the necessity of fully developing solar and other possible alternatives to fossil fuels.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:https://act.credoaction.com/sign/fla_water_toxics?t=7&akid=18186.1976086.G1urAI

Can you prove that fracking has affected groundwater in Florida? There is actually very little petroleum production in Florida.

Almost all fracking occurs thousands of feet below any potable water aquifers.

Does not your daughter work in the oil industry, and would you be happy if anti-petroleum interests rendered her unemployable?

Disclaimer: I happen to be pro-petroleum (because of family interests) while also realizing the necessity of fully developing solar and other possible alternatives to fossil fuels.

I should have posted my own disclaimer here just for you, Z. Not only are my daughter and SIL engaged in the oil boom but my grandfather, who passed away in 1982, worked the oilfield his entire life, as did my brother...and one of my sisters worked for several oil & support companies. So, I'm not anti-petroleum...not at all...and I also realize that even wind and solar have their drawbacks. But fracking in Florida? And relaxing the water standards to pave the way? Forget about fracking...just think of the implications for any polluting industry. I don't think the geology of Florida could support fracking.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I wish your daughter and SIL well, FT. It is tough times in the petroleum industry right now with the price of oil so low.

My father worked for ARCO for 30 years (bought-out by BP in the early 1990s). My paternal great grandfather was an oil speculator in Kern County, CA in the early 1900s. He purchased mineral rights here and there throughout the county--they are still with the family and now my siblings and myself own a small piece of them.

The shale boom pushed the oil-peak out about 30-50 years; however it still looms in the distance. This is why we must move forward on the energy alternatives, IMHO. The future of energy is largely a solar-electric one. The climate-change folks will keep the pressure up so the alternatives are given their just due.

I do not want to see countries warring over the world's remaining oil resources. Another reason to develop the alternatives fully.

Both of my grandfathers worked the oil fields in west Texas. One an engineer... the other a geologist.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Whatever our respective family ties to the oil biz...I think we can all agree that tripling the amount of benzine allowed in Florida water is a bad idea...so sign the petition.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Floridatexan wrote:
Whatever our respective family ties to the oil biz...I think we can all agree that tripling the amount of benzine allowed in Florida water is a bad idea...so sign the petition.

I worked in the environmental field for 16 years and am very familiar with Florida's various protection standards. I first must be shown proof that the activists know what they are talking about.

I do not trust activists, as they usually are very ill-informed on what they are holding signs about.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum