Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

For Boards and Sal: If you're happy with America under Obama, I understand why you like Hillary!

+3
2seaoat
othershoe1030
Wordslinger
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Her judgement on foreign issues has been a total disaster: for the invasion of Iraq, for the overthrow of Gaddafi, for a neutral zone in Syria (requiring American troops and manpower), for solidifying our relations with the Saudi monarchy (even though we now know these bastards financed 9-11), and she's for the continuance of current pharma regulations which do not permit bidding in Obamacare -- which she advocates instead of a single-payer system.

My heart says she's nothing but an ego-driven political opportunist with no values whatever, and she's tied to corrupt companies and countries from whom she gladly accepts contributions. You've convinced me she's smart and can get things done. But if you want me to vote for her, convince me she's a good person.

Hillary is corruption and Trump is insanity.

As for what Trump will do if elected, I wouldn't believe anything based on what he's said so far. He changes his position on issues on a daily ... no, correction ... on an hourly basis.

Bernie may not be as cunning as either of his two opponents, but he's a breath of fresh air, in a room where the smell of crapola is steadily intensifying.

What the hell is she going to get done when nobody trusts her?

What is Trump going to get done when nobody trusts him?

Make me feel good about Hillary ... please!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I agree with just about everything you said about Hillary and would rather see Bernie get the nomination, which could still happen via some earth shaking revelation that would render HRC unsupportable. Perhaps this could be something uncovered about the Clinton Foundation (my wildest dreams here based on NOTHING) dealing in drugs or arms or pulling some totally underhanded political stunt...but that likely is not happening.

I take solace in hearing some of her New York constituents talk about what a good job she did for them when she was in the Senate. I think she is better at doing her job than she is at running for the office.

Many times in foreign policy there are only poor and worse choices to be made and I think you listed several. I'm afraid we are faced with the same thing regarding our eventual candidates in this election, poor and worse. So...

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

othershoe1030 wrote:I agree with just about everything you said about Hillary and would rather see Bernie get the nomination, which could still happen via some earth shaking revelation that would render HRC unsupportable. Perhaps this could be something uncovered about the Clinton Foundation (my wildest dreams here based on NOTHING) dealing in drugs or arms or pulling some totally underhanded political stunt...but that likely is not happening.

I take solace in hearing some of her New York constituents talk about what a good job she did for them when she was in the Senate. I think she is better at doing her job than she is at running for the office.

Many times in foreign policy there are only poor and worse choices to be made and I think you listed several. I'm afraid we are faced with the same thing regarding our eventual candidates in this election, poor and worse. So...

Thanks for agreement. Keep your fingers crossed. As Yogi Berra used to say: "The game ain't over till the fat lady sings."

2seaoat

Hillary Clinton is far from perfect, but she is quite capable of making needed changes and the idea that she is corrupt and evil is simply Ivory tower talk. The real world has terribly bad people trying to hurt America. The real world has naive people who think utopia is simply voting for an idealist who will magically transform congress and institutions. It starts with congress. It starts with having folks who are experienced and working for average Americans. This desire to have an American revolution by voting for Bernie would be a disaster to the very goals he espouses. I love Bernie. I could vote for him for President, but to characterize Hillary as evil and working for Wall Street is incredibly naive. You do not throw out the baby with the bathwater and real change in policy impacting banks and Wall Street require levels of sophistication, experience, and policy which clearly Bernie has none of the above with huge conceptual gaps in his proposed policies. I respect Hillary for calling pie in the sky for what it is.....an appeal to stupid people.

Sal

Sal

Wordslinger wrote:Her judgement on foreign issues has been a total disaster:  for the invasion of Iraq, for the overthrow of Gaddafi, for a neutral zone in Syria (requiring American troops and manpower), for solidifying our relations with the Saudi monarchy (even though we now know these bastards financed 9-11), and she's for the continuance of current pharma regulations which do not permit bidding in Obamacare -- which she advocates instead of a single-payer system.  

My heart says she's  nothing but an ego-driven political opportunist with no values whatever, and she's tied to corrupt companies and countries from whom she gladly accepts contributions.  You've convinced me she's smart and can get things done.  But if you want me to vote for her, convince me she's a good person.

As for what Trump will do if elected, I wouldn't believe anything based on what he's said so far.  He changes his position on issues on a daily ... no, correction ... on an hourly basis.  

Bernie may not be as cunning as either of his two opponents, but he's a breath of fresh air, in a room where the smell of crapola is steadily intensifying.

So you really don't like Hillary, and you think Bernie is the bee's knees.

I think this has been firmly established.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Wordslinger wrote:Her judgement on foreign issues has been a total disaster:  for the invasion of Iraq, for the overthrow of Gaddafi, for a neutral zone in Syria (requiring American troops and manpower), for solidifying our relations with the Saudi monarchy (even though we now know these bastards financed 9-11), and she's for the continuance of current pharma regulations which do not permit bidding in Obamacare -- which she advocates instead of a single-payer system.  

My heart says she's  nothing but an ego-driven political opportunist with no values whatever, and she's tied to corrupt companies and countries from whom she gladly accepts contributions.  You've convinced me she's smart and can get things done.  But if you want me to vote for her, convince me she's a good person.

As for what Trump will do if elected, I wouldn't believe anything based on what he's said so far.  He changes his position on issues on a daily ... no, correction ... on an hourly basis.  

There are only two electable candidates in this election.  I'll vote for the one  whose policies are more closely related to my own.  This is how grown ups deal with reality.  Does this mean that I think either candidate will lead us to a utopia?  No.  Does this mean that I think that either candidate would be superior to all other potential candidates?  No.  But my choices are clear.  Regardless of how I vote, one of two candidates is going to win the election.   Being that the case, I'll throw my support behind one of those two.   Doing anything else is simply a waste of time.

Let's say a doctor diagnoses you with a treatable disease.  You have two options:  1) Treat the disease for the rest of your life.  This will alleviate all symptoms but will require you to take medication.  2)  Don't treat the disease and suffer with the symptoms until you die prematurely.

People who refuse to face the reality of elections are like someone in the above example saying "Well neither option is good!  I neither want the symptoms nor do I want to take medication for the rest of my life!"  They then go to see "faith healers", they pray, and try other such nonsense forms of treatment until they die prematurely from their treatable disease.

In the context of elections, however, it is unfortunate because this type of ignorance affects the rest of us.  If someone is naive enough to go the "faith healer" route, fair enough.  They can win the Darwin award and remove themselves from the gene pool.   With elections, however, they give us Donald Trump and then we all suffer the consequences.

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:

There are only two electable candidates in this election.  I'll vote for the one  whose policies are more closely related to my own.  This is how grown ups deal with reality.  Does this mean that I think either candidate will lead us to a utopia?  No.  Does this mean that I think that either candidate would be superior to all other potential candidates?  No.  But my choices are clear.  Regardless of how I vote, one of two candidates is going to win the election.   Being that the case, I'll throw my support behind one of those two.   Doing anything else is simply a waste of time.

Let's say a doctor diagnoses you with a treatable disease.  You have two options:  1) Treat the disease for the rest of your life.  This will alleviate all symptoms but will require you to take medication.  2)  Don't treat the disease and suffer with the symptoms until you die prematurely.

People who refuse to face the reality of elections are like someone in the above example saying "Well neither option is good!  I neither want the symptoms nor do I want to take medication for the rest of my life!"  They then go to see "faith healers", they pray, and try other such nonsense forms of treatment until they die prematurely from their treatable disease.

In the context of elections, however, it is unfortunate because this type of ignorance affects the rest of us.  If someone is naive enough to go the "faith healer" route, fair enough.  They can win the Darwin award and remove themselves from the gene pool.   With elections, however, they give us Donald Trump.

I was talking to someone the other day and they described it like this ...

There is a runaway train of explosives headed toward a chemical plant.

If it is not diverted then the resulting disaster will kill the entire town.

But, if it is diverted, then it will inconveniently be days late to its planned destination.

What to do ... what to do ...

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

OK, I get it. Because her opponent is dangerously insane, both of you will vote for Hillary even though she can't be trusted, has bad judgement, and is a total, self-seeking political opportunist.

And that's supposed to be the smart move?

God Bless America ...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If Sal and bds walked into a McDonalds, wordslinger, and discovered the only two items on the menu were a shit sandwich and a snot burger, they would choose one or the other and eat it.

You and I, on the other hand, would have more sense than that.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:If Sal and bds walked into a McDonalds,  wordslinger,  and discovered the only two items on the menu were a shit sandwich and a snot burger,  they would choose one or the other and eat it.

You and I,  on the other hand,  would have more sense than that.

I don't eat at McDonalds, Bob.

McDonalds is for dumbasses and old people ...

... kinda like Trump.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:

I don't eat at McDonalds, Bob.

McDonalds is for dumbasses and old people ...

Is this person old? Or is he a dumbass?

For Boards and Sal:  If you're happy with America under Obama, I understand why you like Hillary! Barack+Obama+wins+McDonald%27s+Monopoly

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Old people? Or dumbasses?

For Boards and Sal:  If you're happy with America under Obama, I understand why you like Hillary! Clinton-mcdonalds

boards of FL

boards of FL

Wordslinger wrote:OK, I get it.  Because her opponent is dangerously insane, both of you will vote for Hillary even though she can't be trusted, has bad judgement, and is a total, self-seeking political opportunist.  

God Bless America ...

Yes, it is the smart move.  A Clinton presidency will be worlds different than a Trump presidency.  Just look back at the Nader voters in 2000.  Thanks to those Nader voters making a "smart move", thousands of Americans are dead, tens of thousands are wounded, and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians are dead.  Our perennial budget surpluses turned into the worst budget deficit in US history.  We were left with the worst economy since the Great Depression.  Scientific research was set back nearly a decade due to religious dogma.  Is this what you call a "smart move"?  Is throwing your vote away on an unelectable candidate at the expense of all of the above really what you consider to be a "smart move"?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:

Yes, it is the smart move.  A Clinton presidency will be worlds different than a Trump presidency.  Just look back at the Nader voters in 2000.  Thanks to those Nader voters making a "smart move", thousands of Americans are dead, tens of thousands are wounded, and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians are dead.  Our perennial budget surpluses turned into the worst budget deficit in US history.  We were left with the worst economy since the Great Depression.  Scientific research was set back nearly a decade due to religious dogma.  Is this what you call a "smart move"?  Is throwing your vote away on an unelectable candidate at the expense of all of the above really what you consider to be a "smart move"?

I have to admit, wordslinger, he does have a pretty persuasive argument with this one.
I think what he's saying is, the shit burger might have more potential disease in it than the snot sandwich. lol

But the truth is the shit burger may not be more hawkish than the snot sandwich. And the shit burger might actually be able to do a better job with economy.
See, the shit burger is an unknown quantity at this time. Unlike the snot sandwich which we already know has an aftertaste.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

boards of FL wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:OK, I get it.  Because her opponent is dangerously insane, both of you will vote for Hillary even though she can't be trusted, has bad judgement, and is a total, self-seeking political opportunist.  

God Bless America ...

You make very strong points. But I don't think Trump will follow thru on ANY of the weird promises he's made. He's a shoot from the hip character; and his history is more liberal than conservative. He's kissing the asses of the people from whom he must have political support at this time. With him in the driver's seat, nobody has any idea where we're headed.

With Hillary, we know what we're getting. More of the same. More unnecessary, unwinnable and costly wars, more growth for Wall Street and the 1%, minor changes to Obamacare, slightly lower interest on college tuition loans, and continued racism and religious conflict. We get Obama III.

That may be good enough for you, it isn't for me.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:Hillary Clinton is far from perfect, but she is quite capable of making needed changes and the idea that she is corrupt and evil is simply Ivory tower talk.  The real world has terribly bad people trying to hurt America.   The real world has naive people who think utopia is simply voting for an idealist who will magically transform congress and institutions.   It starts with congress.  It starts with having folks who are experienced and working for average Americans.  This desire to have an American revolution by voting for Bernie would be a disaster to the very goals he espouses.   I love Bernie.   I could vote for him for President, but to characterize Hillary as evil and working for Wall Street is incredibly naive.  You do not throw out the baby with the bathwater and real change in policy impacting banks and Wall Street require levels of sophistication, experience, and policy which clearly Bernie has none of the above with huge conceptual gaps in his proposed policies.  I respect Hillary for calling pie in the sky for what it is.....an appeal to stupid people.

I agree with your argument. What drew me to Bernie was his emphasis on two closely related realities: the system is rigged and the wealth/income gap. As far as I can remember Hillary did not focus on these two very obvious problems facing the country. Now that Bernie has moved the conversation to the left and awakened like minded people I'm hoping we can keep some kind of pressure on the Democrats so they'll address these problems, which are vast and complicated.

I think Bernie overreached by going with the free college idea. It is not an outrageous idea given so many other countries already do this but it freaked a lot of people out because as usual we as Americans are largely unfamiliar with how things are done in other developed countries.

We have to eat, McDonald's notwithstanding, so SOMEONE will be elected in November, we can't walk out the door and skip a meal so anyone who really sees the very real possibility that Trump could become our next Commander in Chief, Supreme Court appointing person, international representative etc. had better put on their big boy pants and vote for the only person on the ballot who is not Trump and save us all from a disastrous four years.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

othershoe1030 wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Hillary Clinton is far from perfect, but she is quite capable of making needed changes and the idea that she is corrupt and evil is simply Ivory tower talk.  The real world has terribly bad people trying to hurt America.   The real world has naive people who think utopia is simply voting for an idealist who will magically transform congress and institutions.   It starts with congress.  It starts with having folks who are experienced and working for average Americans.  This desire to have an American revolution by voting for Bernie would be a disaster to the very goals he espouses.   I love Bernie.   I could vote for him for President, but to characterize Hillary as evil and working for Wall Street is incredibly naive.  You do not throw out the baby with the bathwater and real change in policy impacting banks and Wall Street require levels of sophistication, experience, and policy which clearly Bernie has none of the above with huge conceptual gaps in his proposed policies.  I respect Hillary for calling pie in the sky for what it is.....an appeal to stupid people.

I agree with your argument. What drew me to Bernie was his emphasis on two closely related realities: the system is rigged and the wealth/income gap. As far as I can remember Hillary did not focus on these two very obvious problems facing the country. Now that Bernie has moved the conversation to the left and awakened like minded people I'm hoping we can keep some kind of pressure on the Democrats so they'll address these problems, which are vast and complicated.

I think Bernie overreached by going with the free college idea. It is not an outrageous idea given so many other countries already do this but it freaked a lot of people out because as usual we as Americans are largely unfamiliar with how things are done in other developed countries.

We have to eat, McDonald's notwithstanding, so SOMEONE will be elected in November, we can't walk out the door and skip a meal so anyone who really sees the very real possibility that Trump could become our next Commander in Chief, Supreme Court appointing person, international representative etc. had better put on their big boy pants and vote for the only person on the ballot who is not Trump and save us all from a disastrous four years.

The democratic national committee --- run by Debbie Shultz -- and 100% committed to Hillary's run for the presidency issued several surveys to registered democrats asking their ratings of the issues brought forward in the survey. There were more than two dozen listing. Campaign finance reform was omitted entirely. Does that tell you anything about Hildebeest?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

I shudder under the unreality of your wisdom! Bernie's appeal centers on correcting the economic flaws that have decimated the middle class and allow less than 1% of our citizens to earn fortunes while the middle class hasn't seen earnings raise in 40 years. Stuff that up your wise asshole, shithead. You really are a republican!!

Sal

Sal

Actually, the Sanders and Trump movements are both fueled by the same sentiment - white working class rage at the loss of white privilege.

The truth is that this latest economic downturn is the first where working class whites felt the pain fully without being largely shielded by white privilege, and they are rightfully outraged.

Now to be clear, Sanders' policy prescriptions addressing the income and wealth gaps are the correct ones, while Trump is busy doubling down on intolerance, division, and bigotry.

But, Sanders radical message of revolution does not resonate as much with minorities because they've always known the game is rigged, and they're cool with incremental change through the establishment mechanism they've come to trust.

There is a reason that there will be some bleed over from Sanders supporters into the Trump camp despite the disparate nature of their messages.

And, the reason is ugly.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Salinsky wrote:Actually, the Sanders and Trump movements are both fueled by the same sentiment - white working class rage at the loss of white privilege.

The truth is that this latest economic downturn is the first where working class whites felt the pain fully without being largely shielded by white privilege, and they are rightfully outraged.

Now to be clear, Sanders' policy prescriptions addressing the income and wealth gaps are the correct ones, while Trump is busy doubling down on intolerance, division, and bigotry.

But, Sanders radical message of revolution does not resonate as much with minorities because they've always known the game is rigged, and they're cool with incremental change through the establishment mechanism they've come to trust.

There is a reason that there will be some bleed over from Sanders supporters into the Trump camp despite the disparate nature of their messages.

And, the reason is ugly.

Absolute hogwash, Sal.  No one who supports Bernie Sanders could possibly be attracted by Trump.  They're as different as night and day.  And Sanders doesn't just attract disaffected white people.  Anyone who thinks Trump has the solution to anything just doesn't understand economics.

Sal

Sal

Floridatexan wrote:
Absolute hogwash, Sal.  No one who supports Bernie Sanders could possibly be attracted by Trump.  They're as different as night and day.  And Sanders doesn't just attract disaffected white people.  Anyone who thinks Trump has the solution to anything just doesn't understand economics.

Nearly half of the voters in the West Virginia Democratic primary who backed Bernie Sanders say they would vote for Republican Donald Trump in the fall presidential election, according to exit polls reported by CBS News.

Forty-four percent of Sanders supporters surveyed said they would rather back the presumptive GOP nominee in November, with only 23 percent saying they'd support Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/279430-nearly-half-of-sanders-voters-in-west-virginia-would-vote

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

[b]Sal makes a good point: the Sanders supporters who are considering taking their vote to Trump instead of voting for Hillary, are attempting to express their rage at the establishment and all the terrible wrongs Washington DC has cast on We The People.  If I take my vote to Trump it won't be to support him, but another attempt to achieve the "change" I didn't get when I voted for Obama.  

My vote wouldn't be to help Trump but to HURT THEM.

What this bizarre campaign for the presidency has clearly revealed is that most of the candidates (Hillary, Jeb, Kasich, Marco, Cruz, etc.) want to continue the crapola that's wounded America, perhaps fatally.
 [b]

Sal

Sal

Sanders is morphing into Nader.

The speech he gave last night in California was absolutely shameful.

Salinsky wrote:Sanders is morphing into Nader.

The speech he gave last night in California was absolutely shameful.

Trying to frame bernie and his supporters as racist is as desperate as it gets. But it's perfectly predictable.

The harm is that this race baiting damages an issue that should be left pristine and easily definable and condemned.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

boards of FL wrote:

God Bless America ...

Ralph Nader ran as an independent third-party candidate. Bernie Sanders is vying for the Democratic nomination. He is not a "spoiler"...nor was Nader responsible for the outcome of the 2000 election...it was a combination of the snow job by the media, especially Fox, the dirty tricks of Bush, the electronic fraud and voter purge in Florida, the "Brooks Brothers riots" that stopped the recount, and the right-leaning Supreme Court, which gave the election to Bush. I didn't vote for Nader; I voted for Al Gore...but don't blame Nader. Blame stupid voters; blame the "religious right" and politics from the pulpit; blame Diebold (or whatever their name is now); and blame corruption at the local and state levels.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum