Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bernie in Vatican City?

+6
Floridatexan
Vikingwoman
dumpcare
Sal
Joanimaroni
othershoe1030
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Bernie in Vatican City? 4/15/2016, 5:09 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/15/politics/bernie-sanders-pope-francis-vatican-visit/

2Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/16/2016, 1:39 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

SheWrites wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/15/politics/bernie-sanders-pope-francis-vatican-visit/

At first it seems odd, with the NY primary pending, that Bernie takes off and flies to Rome, however it was a perfect chance to highlight his constant theme of the state of the financial system world wide.

While he goes to Rome, Hillary goes to California to preside at high dollar fund raisers, $353,000 for a couple to attend. The two trips are really quite a contrast.

3Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/16/2016, 1:47 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

And the Saudis finance her.

4Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/16/2016, 1:53 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Joanimaroni wrote:And the Saudis finance her.

Really? Not too surprising though, more of the power players. Where did you hear this?

Who are you leaning toward at this point?

5Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/16/2016, 1:58 pm

Sal

Sal

The Pope wouldn't meet Bernie, so he waited in the lobby at 4am, when he knew the Pope was leaving and buttonholed him so he could say he had a face-to-face.

I'm becoming very cynical about the Bernie campaign.

6Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/16/2016, 2:01 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

othershoe1030 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:And the Saudis finance her.

Really? Not too surprising though, more of the power players. Where did you hear this?

Who are you leaning toward at this point?

They have openly funded the Clinton Foundation......millions and millions.

Leaning? That's tough considering I will not vote for Hillary or Bernie. So, it leaves Trump and Cruz....and I don't care for Cruz.

Trump's popularity lies with people that are fed up with career politicians, politicians that have an army of advisors telling them what to say, what to do, and how to do it JUST TO WIN VOTES.

I despise politics....everyone lies. It's all about winning not what is best for the country.

THE END.

7Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/16/2016, 2:06 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Salinsky wrote:The Pope wouldn't meet Bernie, so he waited in the lobby at 4am, when he knew the Pope was leaving and buttonholed him so he could say he had a face-to-face.

Why are you becoming cynical about Bernie's campaign?  He did get to meet with the Pope briefly but the whole conference he spoke to was a good chance to focus on his recurring theme of economic problems and also there are large Catholic populations in states with upcoming primaries so it made sense on that level too.

I'd rather he did what he did than to host some high dollar fund raiser with special interest groups, wouldn't you?

8Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/16/2016, 2:31 pm

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:
Salinsky wrote:The Pope wouldn't meet Bernie, so he waited in the lobby at 4am, when he knew the Pope was leaving and buttonholed him so he could say he had a face-to-face.

Why are you becoming cynical about Bernie's campaign?  He did get to meet with the Pope briefly but the whole conference he spoke to was a good chance to focus on his recurring theme of economic problems and also there are large Catholic populations in states with upcoming primaries so it made sense on that level too.

I'd rather he did what he did than to host some high dollar fund raiser with special interest groups, wouldn't you?

Well, first he finagled an invitation to an obscure Vatican conference and mischaracterized it by saying he had been invited to meet with the Pope - he had not.

Then he insisted that they change the program and carve 10 minutes out of a coffee break so that he could speak - he was not invited to speak.

And, then he found out when the Pope would be departing and hung out in the lobby at 4am, so that he could buttonhole the poor guy and claim to have had a face-to-face.

The whole thing was a crass stunt disguised as sanctity.

Barf.

And, although I would prefer our campaigns be publically financed, that is not the way the system is now setup, and fundraisers are an unfortunate but necessary byproduct of the current system.

9Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/16/2016, 2:39 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Salinsky wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Well, first he finagled an invitation to an obscure Vatican conference and mischaracterized it by saying he had been invited to meet with the Pope - he had not.

Then he insisted that they change the program and carve 10 minutes out of a coffee break so that he could speak - he was not invited to speak.

And, then he found out when the Pope would be departing and hung out in the lobby at 4am, so that he could buttonhole the poor guy and claim to have had a face-to-face.

Barf.

And, although I would prefer our campaigns be publically financed, that is not the way the system is now setup, and fundraisers are an unfortunate but necessary byproduct of the current system.

Bernie is not having trouble raising money and it is coming from small donations, people across the country. Isn't that a better method than depending on the big rollers? It is a form of voluntary public financing isn't it?

10Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/16/2016, 8:13 pm

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:
Salinsky wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Barf.

Bernie is not having trouble raising money and it is coming from small donations, people across the country. Isn't that a better method than depending on the big rollers? It is a form of voluntary public financing isn't it?

Sure.

Public financing would be even better.

But, don't pretend Bernie doesn't have a superpac.

He does.

11Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/17/2016, 3:18 am

RealLindaL

Yeah, Sal, I'm getting pretty disillusioned with Bernie's campaign myself.  Not that I ever planned to vote for him, but at least I basically liked and respected the man.  That respect is waning, even though I'm betting his main problem is he's receiving some bum advice from campaign advisers, who may've been partially if not largely responsible for getting him as far as he's gotten -- and thus have earned his trust and willingness to comply with their suggestions/directions -- but who are now taking things too far on several fronts.  I think he's going to be in trouble, but that's just my uninformed, linkless gut feeling.   We'll see what happens in New York.

12Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/17/2016, 9:13 am

Well, Hillary has great hair and Bernie does not. I think that states a lot in a campaign. So she will beat Trump too.

Grasping for predictions straws here. Laughing Laughing

13Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/17/2016, 9:41 am

dumpcare

Without a congress or senate to work with it really doesn't matter who is President out of the 5 that are currently left.

Hillary and Kasich probably have a better chance of getting anything through the congress.

14Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/17/2016, 2:03 pm

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:Without a congress or senate to work with it really doesn't matter who is President out of the 5 that are currently left.

Hillary and Kasich probably have a better chance of getting anything through the congress.

First you say it doesn't matter, and then you say it may.   Smile  

Look, ppaca, am not disagreeing with you as to the likelihood (or not) of successful legislation under any particular president given the current Congress, but I do disagree when you make the flat statement that "...it really doesn't matter who is president."  Oh, yes, it does indeed matter.  There are a couple of little items called foreign policy and international relations that have everything to do with how we're viewed and reacted to on the world stage, and, like it or  not, the president is our standard bearer in that regard.  It matters a LOT.

15Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/17/2016, 2:18 pm

Sal

Sal

RealLindaL wrote:
ppaca wrote:Without a congress or senate to work with it really doesn't matter who is President out of the 5 that are currently left.

Look, ppaca, am not disagreeing with you as to the likelihood (or not) of successful legislation under any particular president given the current Congress, but I do disagree when you make the flat statement that "...it really doesn't matter who is president."  Oh, yes, it does indeed matter.  There are a couple of little items called foreign policy and international relations that have everything to do with how we're viewed and reacted to on the world stage, and, like it or  not, the president is our standard bearer in that regard.  It matters a LOT.

There are also SCOTUS nominations.

That is the number one reason to keep the screwballs on the right out of the Oval Office.

16Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/17/2016, 2:39 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Salinsky wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

There are also SCOTUS nominations.

That is the number one reason to keep the screwballs on the right out of the Oval Office.

Absolutely....so politics can dictated the Supreme Court decision.

17Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/17/2016, 2:44 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I agree....you have to look at the presidential advisors. Obama has Valarie Jarret. ...she never more than steps away and attends all his meetings. She is Iranian and her family still lives there. She was responsible for him going into politics....

Hillary has an Iranian advisor....with her.

18Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/17/2016, 4:40 pm

dumpcare

I stand by what I said, if you don't have a congress and senate who will compromise and work with the sitting President you don't have foreign policy or international relations anyway.

Cruz will decimate social security and Medicare if there is a possibility the congress will work with him.

Trump, if elected may lean more left than you think and you can forget the wall. He's in it to win and will say anything (just like the other's) to win.

Kasich may not be taken seriously by anyone.

Hillary may have a chance to work with congress, but may have been damaged by the email scandal beyond repair.

It's a shame that scotus is determined by politics so without a dem senate we go for 8 the next 4 years.

19Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/18/2016, 1:54 am

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:I stand by what I said, if you don't have a congress and senate who will compromise and work with the sitting President you don't have foreign policy or international relations anyway.

I don't pretend to be an expert in thee matters but tend to disagree with you here again, ppaca.   Seems to me the president, along with his or her selected advisers - e.g., secretaries of state, defense, and homeland security, along with the joint chiefs of staff - by their attitudes, demeanor, and actions on the world stage within their scope of authority can have a major impact on how the U.S. is viewed around the planet.

20Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/18/2016, 2:03 am

Vikingwoman

Joanimaroni wrote:

I agree....you have to look at the presidential advisors. Obama has Valarie Jarret. ...she never more than steps away and attends all his meetings. She is Iranian and her family still lives there. She was responsible for him going into politics....

Hillary has an Iranian advisor....with her.

Huma is an American!

21Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/18/2016, 4:38 pm

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:

Why are you becoming cynical about Bernie's campaign?

This is a long read, but I thought you might find it useful, othershoe ....

https://medium.com/@robinalperstein/on-becoming-anti-bernie-ee87943ae699#.xzly9r4nr

Unfortunately, I've come to the same conclusions the author has regarding Sanders.

I really vacillated between the two Democratic candidates for a long time, being well aware of Hillary's weaknesses and the strength of Sanders' message, before finally settling on Hillary.

I've become more and more satisfied and confident in that decision.

22Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/18/2016, 6:05 pm

RealLindaL

Salinsky wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

https://medium.com/@robinalperstein/on-becoming-anti-bernie-ee87943ae699#.xzly9r4nr

Unfortunately, I've come to the same conclusions the author has regarding Sanders.

I really vacillated between the two Democratic candidates for a long time, being well aware of Hillary's weaknesses and the strength of Sanders' message, before finally settling on Hillary.

I'm with you, Sal, and didn't need to read that long article to be convinced, but it does echo all of my concerns about Bernie and then some.  I was especially interested in the comments on temperament, and the exposure of the entirely unrealistic assumption of a 5% annual growth rate.  I've shared it with a couple of New Yorkers and hope it will bear fruit tomorrow, even though I certainly agree it's lengthy.  Very, very, lengthy.  Invites skimming, but at least even that process yields some pithy points.

23Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/18/2016, 7:39 pm

knothead

knothead

Salinsky wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Sal,it was a fairly long read but the points made seem logical to me. As a Democrat and a person concerned over the trajectory of our country it is very sad to have the choices presented to the electorate . . . . but it is what it is I suppose. Bernie is inflicting serious damage to HRC and alienating a substantial portion of potential support in the general election that is so obviously unnecessary . . . . the price of a loss to either Trump or Cruz will be unimaginable but thanks for posting a well articulated analysis of the ongoing struggle on the Dem side. . . .

24Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/18/2016, 8:27 pm

2seaoat

Bernie never could walk on water.....I have listened to him for five years on fridays with Thom Hartman's radio show where he had something called lunch with Bernie. I found Bernie to be a breath of fresh air. He is sincere and honest, but he has some real conceptual deficiencies which often get ignored because he has brilliantly framed some of the most important problems facing America. I would love him to be President, but without a congress of like minded folks, he would be a sacrificial lamb and would set back the very policies which are so important to America. He is about ten points behind Hillary in NY, but folks who never heard of Bernie are listening, and he speaks the truth about money and politics, but it will take a landslide victory to make the necessary changes, and maybe he can do it.....but he is going to need some smart people around him to protect him from himself.....he is incredibly naive in some areas of public policy, and simply wrong on many other issues......but could I vote for him....in a NY second.

25Bernie in Vatican City? Empty Re: Bernie in Vatican City? 4/18/2016, 9:20 pm

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:Sal,it was a fairly long read but the points made seem logical to me. As a Democrat and a person concerned over the trajectory of our country it is very sad to have the choices presented to the electorate . . . . but it is what it is I suppose.  Bernie is inflicting serious damage to HRC and alienating a substantial portion of potential support in the general election that is so obviously unnecessary . . . . the price of a loss to either Trump or Cruz will be unimaginable but thanks for posting a well articulated analysis of the ongoing struggle on the Dem side. . . .

Well said, knot, and so true.  The situation is very troubling right now.  I note in a post above mine that Sea reports Hillary running about 10 points ahead of Bernie in NY -- well, that was before.  A new poll today, according to CNN, shows her at 50% and him at 48% -- or within the statistical margin of error, thus virtually neck and neck.   Scary as hell and I wish Bernie would bow out, but he's got the bug now.  All those thousands of cheering people have likely gone right to his head, as would likely be the case with just about anyone (certainly went to Trump's head, goes without saying).  Sad to say he's potentially as bad for the Democratic Party as Trump is for the Republican.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum