Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Questioning the validity of "Who is online" map

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

RealLindaL

Per Joani's suggestion, I looked at the map carefully for the first time today.   Didn't see my name as located in the Panhandle.  Clicked on the balloon near Miami and lo and behold, I moved to South Florida!  This is interesting, since my profile clearly states I'm in Pensacola Beach.   Makes me wonder how valid the other locations shown are.

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:Per Joani's suggestion, I looked at the map carefully for the first time today.   Didn't see my name as located in the Panhandle.  Clicked on the balloon near Miami and lo and behold, I moved to South Florida!  This is interesting, since my profile clearly states I'm in Pensacola Beach.   Makes me wonder how valid the other locations shown are.

Just proves you learn something new everyday. I never knew there was such a map until yesterday but now that I know, meh. Neutral

RL, some forums only locate as far as your IS provider. For instance, I used to show up on the PNJ as West Point, GA - home to Knology at the time, now WOW.

RealLindaL

SheWrites wrote:RL, some forums only locate as far as your IS provider.  For instance,  I used to show up on the PNJ as West Point, GA - home to Knology at the time, now WOW.

Hmm...Boards, do we know how the location function works on this forum? Not a big deal, just wondering.

2seaoat

It works incredibly well sometimes, and off the wall wrong others. It was so accurate at one time it showed where in my office I was posting. Then a week later it showed me posting in Kansas. A week later on the Ronald Reagan expressway in Illinois.....close, but no cigar. At one point I used a masking device called hide my IP. I could choose where I was posting.....pick a city. However, I am using a go phone for internet, and the carrier determines the geographic area.

It was scary accurate at times.

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:It works incredibly well sometimes, and off the wall wrong others.  It was so accurate at one time it showed where in my office I was posting.  Then a week later it showed me posting in Kansas.   A week later on the Ronald Reagan expressway in Illinois.....close, but no cigar.  At one point I used a masking device called hide my IP.  I could choose where I was posting.....pick a city.  However, I am using a go phone for internet, and the carrier determines the geographic area.  

It was scary accurate at times.

Interesting seaoat, thanks.

Heading off to sleep but just want to take this opportunity to tell you how much I've enjoyed knowing you over the years.   I'm not at all sure I'll be on this forum very much longer, regardless of what happens with the Markle situation.  I think the last straw for me was the abject filth posted tonight by the indeed very damaged DE.  As much as I never thought I'd ever say this, I think it may be time for Boards to just shut it down -- not my decision, of course, but I'm afraid the place is becoming a veritable cesspool of ugliness and hatred.

But you, my friend, are a peach, even if sometimes quite irritating (lol), and I wish you love and peace on your phenomenal journey, and safe travels home to Illinois this week, whether or not I see you here again. May you arrive soon to your beloved islands.    Goodnight,   LL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum