Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Routine screening colonoscopy

+7
RealLindaL
Joanimaroni
knothead
ZVUGKTUBM
dumpcare
2seaoat
Hallmarkgard
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Routine screening colonoscopy Empty Routine screening colonoscopy 3/1/2016, 6:53 pm

The procedure went well... I thght. No probs seen... felt ok that night and ate. The next morning (fri) things started going south. I started having abdominal pains... so I took it easy the rest of the day and only ate a few crackers but I drank a ton of fluids. By saturday I've been in agony... can't hold down even a cracker. I called the dr monday morning and they think it is just a norovirus... keep up fluids etc. I did wake up feeling a little better this morning... so I had two pieces of dry toast... bad mistake. I have that shooting pain back on my left side... nausea... Distended abdomen, loose stools but no blood. I'm literally to weak to drive to the er... and an ambulance would never get back to me. I'm beginning to think they perforated my bowel. If I make it through the night I'll go into town. Any tips... suggestions... home remedies? Forgot... my temp keeps going from about 100 to 102.6... I'm miserable.

Hallmarkgard

Medicine isn’t my strong point but my wife’s fever limit is 100.4. I think you should seek help asap.

2seaoat

Go to the emergency room immediately. If you are unable to drive call 911 and at least get a police car up there to get you out. The distended stomach and throwing up cannot be explained so simply. I had my old gastro guy tell me he had given 10k big C's and never had a problem on one of them......he was replaced by young docs, and after what I witnessed from a young doc at NW, and still not getting my taste back from my surgery 4 weeks ago, do not trust a thing they are saying.....you could die. If it is a nasty virus, then make the next call to these folks that they ought to clean their equipment after lending it to a dairy farmer.......pronto......ER.

Hallmarkgard

Prk You have a PM

dumpcare

Agree with oat, get to the er. I had problems the day after mine, I did not see any blood but went to er and they did a test and there was blood, seems a polyp they took out and cauterized opened up. They just said to wait. But your pain may be a perforation. Call 911.

They perform these procedure's just too damn fast these days without patients regards.

I have problem's after every colonoscopy and endoscopy.

2seaoat

Is your daughter or anybody else aware you are having this distress? Hallmark get enough information after to talking to him to see if he is thinking clear, and what his temp is. Do not wait. There is nothing stupid about going to the ER, and something is not right. I hope it is a silly virus, but you would never play a risky poker hand and the stakes are way to important because if you go untreated on bowel leak, there can be organ failure with delay.........and circumstances scream ER.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

We will be thinking of you, Pkrbm.

Man, lots of medical stuff going on with our forum members lately.....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hallmarkgard

What Oats is saying!!!  Double

Thank y'all. I took a scalding shower and feel a bit more relaxed. I've contacted my family... and the dr. I'm exhausted and feel comfortable enough to sleep... for awhile anyway. I live a half mile from the road... So no chance the police or ambulance can get back here. I have a neighbor down the lake... but he won't be back till tomorrow. I appreciate everyones advice and concern. If the pain ramps up again I'll call 911... I'm sure they could figure out a way to get me. I keep hoping it's just a virus. Hospitals wouldn't be that bad a place if there weren't so many sick people.

knothead

knothead

pkr, if it is, in fact, a virus it surely is one hell of a coincidence. I am no doctor therefore take oatie's advice and go to the ER asap . . . . . if they did perforate your bowel tract it will leak into the abdominal cavity setting you up for peritonitis which can be deadly . . . . please take action and let us know.
Please!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Yes, and if they perforated your bowel, once you are healed-up, head over to your neighborhood lawyer and he'll help you with your malpractice lawsuit.

I did two colonoscopies without sedation and felt no pain or effects from the procedures. That is the way it is supposed to happen.

12Routine screening colonoscopy Empty Re: Routine screening colonoscopy 3/1/2016, 11:56 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ER

13Routine screening colonoscopy Empty Re: Routine screening colonoscopy 3/2/2016, 12:13 am

Back up... and writhing in pain. I'll go in the morning... I promise. Its just a little podunk hospital.

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:Back up... and writhing in pain. I'll go in the morning... I promise. Its just a little podunk hospital.

DAMMIT PKR YOU ASKED YOUR FRIENDS HERE FOR ADVICE AND YOU'RE IGNORING IT ALL!!  CALL 911 NOW!!!!  IF YOU CAN GET TO YOUR HOUSE, THEN SO CAN EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE.  DO IT!!

RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Back up... and writhing in pain. I'll go in the morning... I promise. Its just a little podunk hospital.

DAMMIT PKR YOU ASKED YOUR FRIENDS HERE FOR ADVICE AND YOU'RE IGNORING IT ALL!!  CALL 911 NOW!!!!  IF YOU CAN GET TO YOUR HOUSE, THEN SO CAN EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE.  DO IT!!

It's a half mile dirt two track with about 3 feet of snow and ice. My nephew has a fancy new 4x4 chevy avalanche. I've have to pull him out atleast six times with my old ford... lol. I'm definitely going in this morning... I promise. Bad night.

Thank you again everyone.

2seaoat

Hopefully they do a good job and give you a path to comfort and resolution.

Hallmarkgard

I hope your next post is from the ER or the Doctors office. Please keep us posed..

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Pkr. Are you up? Hoping you are better.

19Routine screening colonoscopy Empty Re: Routine screening colonoscopy 3/2/2016, 11:10 am

Markle

Markle

I've only had one without any anesthesia. Drove home and all was fine.

I'm sure not an MD but have many in my family from nurses to PA's. You don't wait around with sever internal pain, irregular bowel movements, nausea and fever.

I have a very high threshold of pain which caused me a 7 hour operation for a simple appendectomy 100 years ago. But you just don't mess with problems such as you describe. If I can't see the problem, I go to the MD or ER. Have been times when it was a broken bone and it was a few days later but I did get there.

Please let us know how you are fairing. I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

20Routine screening colonoscopy Empty Re: Routine screening colonoscopy 3/2/2016, 11:19 am

I had a very rough nite. Thanks for your concern everyone. The dr can see me at 3:45 est. I'll update after.

21Routine screening colonoscopy Empty Re: Routine screening colonoscopy 3/2/2016, 12:03 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

And I did the same for Pkrbm last night before retiring.........

RealLindaL

Markle wrote:  You don't wait around with sever internal pain, irregular bowel movements, nausea and fever.

Exactly so.  I could've maybe bought the norovirus thing (have had it and it's miserable) were it not for Pkr's mentioned severe pain on one side of his abdomen.  

I have a family history of colon cancer so have been through five colonoscopies so far and never any trouble at all.  What Pkr is experiencing is just not normal and usual.

I did take somewhat ill immediately after a GYN procedure at Baptist a few years back, so yes, as we all know there are nasty things floating around in hospitals.   Still.    Something is not right here, though I'll keep hope with others that it's easily remedied.  Pkr, please don't forget to come back and let us know.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Waiting!

knothead

knothead

I fear for pkr for good reason.  Three to four years ago my wife came down with symptoms of stomach flu or food poisoning because she could not keep anything down because of severe nausea followed by periods of calm followed by a recurrence of more nausea/vomiting.  After 2-3 days I told her enough already You are going to the ER right now.  We did and after a scan she had an obstructed colon! I thought WTH . . . . from what? She hasn't swallowed any tennis balls (gawd excuse my ignorance) but this was a teachable moment looking back.  She was admitted to GB Hospital where her doc told her she had adhesion induced obstruction (common I was told from prior surgeries).  Anyway she was required to suffer for six days with a NG tube and clear liquids because insurance would not pay for the surgical repair because approximately 70% of these events 'fix themselves'. On the 7th day the surgeon scheduled the procedure and it went perfect (almost)! When we spoke with the surgeon after the repair I casually asked out of the blue if while he was clipping those adhesion(s) did he sever the bowel? Innocently asked but he paused momentarily and said "Yes I did" . . . . he explained that it was sutured and he was satisfied that it was dealt with appropriately . . . . . we thanked him . . . she immediately began to feel better and was discharged the following day. Although she lost 14 pounds in 9 days (now she is a whopping 114! Weeks later as paper work began to flow in to us we reviewed the hospital, lab bills, etc., but no doctor bill! My wife called the hospital and spoke with the billing folks to inquire and inform them we did not get a bill from the surgeon . . . . bottom line they do make mistakes and our doc would not charge for the procedure.  

Now back to pkr and why I fear for him . . . . what if the same thing happened to him and the surgeon missed it . . . . the consequences can be catastrophic . . . . call me paranoid but s**t happens and I do hope I am on the wrong track here but . . . I will anxiously be awaiting to hear about pkr along with his other forum friends. Fingers crossed!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

It happened to our member Cool. Her husband had his colon ruptured. The physician is one of my most trusted since the early 70's. It happens.

I had an injection in my scapula trigger point with a 25ga 5/8 " needle. It hit the lung and it collapsed. Biopsies of the lung are done with a larger needle. I ended up with a pneumo-hemo thorax and 7 days in the hospital with a chest tube,

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum