Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hypocrisy.....Strict constructionist.....well sometimes

+5
Markle
Floridatexan
Sal
knothead
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

It is hilarious listening to so called conservative strict constructionist make up chit about a president 11 months from the end of their term not being able to do their constitutional duty. It is beyond stupid and short sighted. The democrats are going to win the Senate back in 2016. Lets say a fluke happens and a Republican President is elected. Do you think we are going to have any Supreme Court appointment. This has to stop. The constitution cannot be thrown out wily nilly when somebody thinks there is a new amendment to the same that says the last year of a President's term cannot allow for an appointment. Payback is a bitch, but responsible government starts with throwing out crazy and getting back to sound government.

2seaoat

The truth is that we are a little less than a year out from a new President taking office. The Supreme Court has older members and another death is quite possible. If a crazy wants to change the constitution, please present an amendment which says that a some point in a President's term, they can no longer appoint a Supreme Court Justice, or any replacements. It is absurd to suggest that time limit would be a year out. I get if Scalia died in November after a new President had been elected, and people argued that the new President who was elected should make the appointment, but to make chit up as you go disrupting government and leaving the process uncertain is wrong. This is incredibly stupid and I would suggest that some Republicans are going to cross over in the Senate.

knothead

knothead

Unfortunately I did not expect anything else and their blatant abdication of their responsibility is on display for all to see . . .

2seaoat

The Senate is going back to the Democrats in 2016. It is a structural advantage which the Republican had in 2014. However, this could be a massacre and put seats which were secure at risk if the Republicans want to go back to the Civil War times when a Supreme Court vacancy last took a year to fill......some of the crazies are certainly for civil war in this country......they are traitors all.

Lol... all this teeth gnashing over something that hasn't happened. If obama nominates a moderate it's a non issue.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:Lol... all this teeth gnashing over something that hasn't happened. If obama nominates a moderate it's a non issue.

You haven't been paying attention.

The Repukes have been perfectly clear.

Even if Obama reanimates the corpse of Scalia and nominates him, the GOP aren't giving him a hearing.

Sal

Sal

The GOP has been engaged in this behavior for the better part of eight friggin' years.

It boggles the mind that anyone would doubt them when they say they will obstruct.

The level of willful ignorance or intellectual dishonesty that requires is astonishing.

Salinsky wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Lol... all this teeth gnashing over something that hasn't happened. If obama nominates a moderate it's a non issue.

Even if Obama reanimates the corpse of Scalia and nominates him, the GOP aren't giving him a hearing.

“With respect to the Supreme Court at least, I will recommend to my colleagues that we should not confirm any Bush nominee to the Supreme Court except in extraordinary circumstances.”

“I will do everything in my power to prevent one more ideological ally from joining (John) Roberts and (Samuel) Alito on the court,”

Schumer July 27, 2007

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

“With respect to the Supreme Court at least, I will recommend to my colleagues that we should not confirm any Bush nominee to the Supreme Court except in extraordinary circumstances.”

“I will do everything in my power to prevent one more ideological ally from joining (John) Roberts and (Samuel) Alito on the court,”

Schumer July 27, 2007

So freakin' what? Not only did Bush appoint right-wing extremists to the SCOTUS...he also purged the US district judiciary...of REPUBLICANS who weren't radical enough. So, Schumer's statement was completely logical and timely.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1597085,00.html

Why Were These U.S. Attorneys Fired?

By Adam Zagorin/Washington Wednesday, Mar. 07, 2007

After Republicans lost control of Congress last year, newly empowered Democrats promised to launch a series of tough investigations on everything from the Iraq war to Medicare and high energy prices. But since taking charge on Capitol Hill in January, a series of unexpected new issues have captured their attention, none potentially more damaging to the Bush Administration than the controversy over alleged political influence in the firing of eight Republican U.S. attorneys last Dec. 7, in an episode that some of its victims have already taken to calling the "Pearl Harbor Day Massacre."
The White House approves all U.S. attorneys, who function as the federal government's chief prosecutors in 93 jurisdictions around the country. As political appointees, they serve "at the pleasure of the President," and can be replaced, at least theoretically, at any time for any reason. But group firings in the middle a presidential term are highly unusual. Though Attorney General Alberto Gonzales insisted to Congress that "I would never, ever make a change in a U.S. attorney position for political reasons," critics were outraged at the December dismissals, among them the firing of an Arkansas U.S. attorney to make way for Timothy Griffin, a protege of White House political guru Karl Rove. The outcry forced Griffin to withdraw. Gonzales' top deputy later claimed the firings were necessary because of "performance-related" issues. But it was later revealed that all but two of the dismissed prosecutors had won outstanding evaluations for competence.

Those revelations set the stage for Tuesday's dramatic appearance of six of the ousted Republican prosecutors before House and Senate committees dominated by Democrats. One of the fired prosecutors, David Iglesias of New Mexico, testified that he felt "leaned on" by Sen. Pete Domenici over a case he was pursuing. Iglesias said the New Mexico Republican and former mentor hung up on him after learning Iglesias would not seek indictments in a criminal investigation of Democrats before the 2006 election. "He said, 'Are these going to be filed before November?'" Iglesias recalled. "I said I didn't think so... to which he replied, 'I'm very sorry to hear that.' And then the line went dead. "I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach," Iglesias testified. "Six weeks later I got the call that I had to move on." The ousted prosecutor also said that Heather Wilson, a Republican House member from New Mexico, had called him about the same issue.

Both Domenici and Wilson confirmed that they had gotten in touch with Iglesias, but denied pressuring him in any way. The Justice Department also acknowledged that Domenici had called Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and his top deputy four times to complain about Iglesias' behavior, inquiring whether he was "up to the job."

Another fired U.S. attorney, H. E. "Bud" Cummins of Arkansas, testified that he had e-mailed fellow ousted prosecutors last month, warning them of a threatening message conveyed by a senior Justice Department official. Cummins' e-mail, which was released publicly, quoted the Justice official as warning that if fired U.S. attorneys continued to talk to the media or volunteered to testify before Congress, the department "would feel forced to somehow pull their gloves off" and fight back. The DOJ denied the allegation.

Yet another sacked U.S. attorney, John McKay of Seattle, declared that a top aide to Rep. Doc Hastings, the former Republican chairman of the House Ethics Committee, had called him to ask detailed questions about a politically charged investigation McKay was conducting into the disputed 2004 election of Washington state's Democratic Gov. Christine Gregoire. Hastings and his aide have denied the allegation.

The day before the Congressional hearings, Michael Battle, the Justice Department official who had made the telephone calls to dismiss six of the eight prosecutors, announced he was leaving his job. The Department described the sudden departure as long planned, having nothing to do with the controversial terminations he had been required to carry out. But Democrats immediately questioned that version of events. Said Linda Sanchez, a California Democrat: "The wheels are coming off the Bush Administration's increasingly hollow defense of its decision."

Amid all the criticism, several DOJ officials offered a robust defense of the Administration in testimony before Congress. One official, repeating the assertion that most of the firings were motivated by poor performance, cited the case of U.S. attorney Carol Lam of California, who last year successfully prosecuted former G.O.P. Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham for corruption. The DOJ official said Lam was pushed out, not because of the Cunningham case, but because her prosecution rates for violent crime and border violations were inadequate. Another DOJ official testified that Iglesias had been fired because he delegated too much to a subordinate and did not show enough "leadership". The firings might never have happened if not for a little-noticed clause slipped into the Patriot Act last year. That provision, promoted by the White House, permits the President to appoint "interim" U.S. attorneys without Senate confirmation for an indefinite period. The White House successfully pushed the measure because it regarded the previous law (which allowed unconfirmed U.S. attorneys to serve for only 120 days) as an undue limit on the prerogatives of the President. Living within those limits, however, might have been easier for Bush to endure than the controversy the firings have now embroiled him in.

Remember?

Here's more, including timelines:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=13967342

Sal

Sal

Voting against or filibustering a nominee who is considered too extreme is not an abdication of the Senate's responsibility according to Article 2 of the Constitution.

Refusing to give a hearing is an abdication of that responsibility.

Nowhere does it state that vacancies should wait for a new president when the sitting president is in his final year, or that the Senate can refuse to fulfill its duty to consider such nominations – especially for partisan political reasons.

President Obama is almost certainly going to pick a moderate and wholly unobjectionable nominee, and you will be forced to fall into line and smear a deserving and qualified candidate.

Relish your role, useful idiot.

It's a non issue if he nominates a moderate candidate. Try to take a few deep breaths... go ahead and take a pill too.

It sure would be nice if we could play with just one set of standards and rules. Talk about hypocrites... lol.

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:Voting against or filibustering a nominee who is considered too extreme is not an abdication of the Senate's responsibility according to Article 2 of the Constitution.

Nowhere does it state that vacancies should wait for a new president when the sitting president is in his final year, or that the Senate can refuse to fulfill its duty to consider such nominations – especially for partisan political reasons.

President Obama is almost certainly going to pick a moderate and wholly unobjectionable nominee, and you will be forced to fall into line and smear a deserving and qualified candidate.

Won't happen.

Lame Duck President Obama will nominate some who has no chance, whatsoever of being confirmed by the Senate.

Mark my words, my opinion is that he will nominate a far left Progressive such as Ruth Bader Ginsburg. It will be a black woman.

From there, both Democrat candidates will use the denial of confirmation to beat Republicans for being sexist and racist.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:Won't happen.

Lame Duck President Obama will nominate some who has no chance, whatsoever of being confirmed by the Senate.

PkrBum wrote:It's a non issue if he nominates a moderate candidate. Try to take a few deep breaths... go ahead and take a pill too.

It sure would be nice if we could play with just one set of standards and rules. Talk about hypocrites... lol.

So would you two like to go on record now stating that should Obama nominate someone such as Sri Srinivasan - who was confirmed just two years ago to an appeals court by the Senate in a 97-0 vote - you feel that there is absolutely no way that republicans would obstruct that nomination?

What do you say?

Sal

Sal

Hahahahaha ...

I say the nominee will be "moderate" and "unobjectionable", and Ol' Man Markle says, no it'll be a "black woman".

Hahahahahaha ...

Here ya go, Ol' Man Markle ....

Hypocrisy.....Strict constructionist.....well sometimes Candy-a6562c866510bb5036724f05ebbe3a02

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:Hahahahaha ...

I say the nominee will be "moderate" and "unobjectionable", and Ol' Man Markle says, no it'll be a "black woman".

Hahahahahaha ...

Hypocrisy.....Strict constructionist.....well sometimes Candy-a6562c866510bb5036724f05ebbe3a02

Wrong again my good friend.

I said he would nominate a FAR LEFT PROGRESSIVE who will also be a black and a woman.

You really should try doing some research before posting. For my usual hourly fee, I will even tutor you. What a deal!

Something Progressives are CONVENIENTLY going to forget.  Allow me to remind them.

Poetic Juctice? Obama Was 1st US President To Vote To Filibuster A Supreme Court Nominee
It would be poetic justice for the GOP to block any Obama nominee.

In 2006, while no doubt starting to lay his eyes on a presidential run, then-Sen. Obama had no problem throwing a wrench in the works of democracy by voting to filibuster George Bush’s nominee Samuel Alito to the high court.

Obama told George Stephanopoulos on ABC News This Week that he would “be supporting the filibuster because I think Judge Alito, in fact, is somebody who is contrary to core American values, not just liberal values, you know. When you look at his decisions in particular during times of war, we need a court that is independent and is going to provide some check on the executive branch, and he has not shown himself willing to do that repeatedly.”

In other words, because Alito did not share his judicial philosophy and he felt the judge’s ascension to the Supreme Court would not allow an independent check on the excessive use of executive branch power, Obama, in fact, voted to block the appointment.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/poetic-juctice-obama-was-1st-us-president-to-vote-for-filibuster-in-supreme-court-nomination/

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:

Salinsky wrote:President Obama is almost certainly going to pick a moderate and wholly unobjectionable nominee,

Markle wrote:
Won't happen.

It will be a black woman.

Poetic Juctice? Obama Was 1st US President To Vote To Filibuster A Supreme Court Nominee

In 2006, while no doubt starting to lay his eyes on a presidential run, then-Sen. Obama had no problem throwing a wrench in the works of democracy by voting to filibuster George Bush’s nominee Samuel Alito to the high court.

Obama told George Stephanopoulos on ABC News This Week that he would “be supporting the filibuster because I think Judge Alito, in fact, is somebody who is contrary to core American values, not just liberal values, you know. When you look at his decisions in particular during times of war, we need a court that is independent and is going to provide some check on the executive branch, and he has not shown himself willing to do that repeatedly.”

In other words, because Alito did not share his judicial philosophy and he felt the judge’s ascension to the Supreme Court would not allow an independent check on the excessive use of executive branch power, Obama, in fact, voted to block the appointment.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/poetic-juctice-obama-was-1st-us-president-to-vote-for-filibuster-in-supreme-court-nomination/

That has already been addressed here, Ol' Man Markle ....

Salinsky wrote:Voting against or filibustering a nominee who is considered too extreme is not an abdication of the Senate's responsibility according to Article 2 of the Constitution.

Here you go, Ol' Man Markle ....

Hypocrisy.....Strict constructionist.....well sometimes Candy-a6562c866510bb5036724f05ebbe3a02[/quote]

But that's the last one until after your naptime.

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:

I said he would nominate a FAR LEFT PROGRESSIVE who will also be a black and a woman.  

Anita Hill would make a fine choice.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:http://www.westernjournalism.com/poetic-juctice-obama-was-1st-us-president-to-vote-for-filibuster-in-supreme-court-nomination/

Hypocrisy.....Strict constructionist.....well sometimes Giphy

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Markle wrote:http://www.westernjournalism.com/poetic-juctice-obama-was-1st-us-president-to-vote-for-filibuster-in-supreme-court-nomination/

Hypocrisy.....Strict constructionist.....well sometimes Giphy

Are the FACTS wrong?

If not, then you are making a fool of yourself are you not?

2seaoat

Mr. Markle please give me a link to an actual filibuster on a judicial appointment when President Obama was Senator. If you cannot do it, please do not try to excuse the off the wall interpretation that the last year of a president's term disallows that President from doing their presidential duty.......strict construction or tinfoil land?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
Salinsky wrote:Hahahahaha ...

Hahahahahaha ...

You really should try doing some research before posting.  For my usual hourly fee, I will even tutor you.  What a deal!

Something Progressives are CONVENIENTLY going to forget.  Allow me to remind them.

Everyone knows how much Markle hates our current president. And Markle is sure, absolutely sure, that our terrible black president will nominate ...take a deep breath ... get ready ... here it comes: A BLACK WOMAN.

What could be worse for our nation than a BLACK WOMAN serving on the Supreme Court?

It doesn't get better than this! LOL

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:Won't happen.

PkrBum wrote:It's a non issue if he nominates a moderate candidate. Try to take a few deep breaths... go ahead and take a pill too.

So would you two like to go on record now stating that should Obama nominate someone such as Sri Srinivasan - who was confirmed just two years ago to an appeals court by the Senate in a 97-0 vote - you feel that there is absolutely no way that republicans would obstruct that nomination?

What do you say?

Crickets ....

.... as a corporate litigator who defended Enron's Jeffrey Skilling and Enron, he should be in the rightwing's wheelhouse, so they'd have to take a different tact.

I suspect they'd go racial and it would get ugly very quickly.

They'd make fun of his name and dig for pictures of him in traditional Indian attire.

There's also this ....

At his formal swearing-in ceremony in September, administered by retired Supreme Court justice Sandra Day O'Connor, he took the oath on the Hindu holy book Bhagavad Gita

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Srinivasan#Federal_judicial_service

RealLindaL

Salinsky wrote:

I have to agree with Sal, Pkr.   Everything coming from the Republicans in the Senate and on the campaign trail says there's no way they'll entertain ANY candidate for the court Obama nominates.   I'm pretty sure I heard Rubio, for instance, say something like, "We want this election to be a referendum on the Supreme Court."   As if!!!  Where do we find THAT provision in the Constitution??

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/02/14/1485199/-McConnell-perfectly-legitimate-for-POTUS-to-alter-idealogical-direction-of-SCOTUS?detail=email

In 1970, McConnell published an article in the Kentucky Law Journal in which he laments the politicization of the Senate confirmation process and makes recommendations for “standards” to be used in the future.

Some excerpts follow.

The President is presumably elected by the people to carry out a program and altering the ideological directions of the Supreme Court would seem to be a perfectly legitimate part of a Presidential platform. To that end, the Constitution gives to him the power to nominate.

Even though the Senate has at various times made purely political decisions in its consideration of Supreme Court nominees, certainly it could not be successfully argued that this is an acceptable practice.
… if the power to nominate had been given to the Senate, as was considered [and rejected] during the debates at the Constitutional Convention, then it would be proper for the Senate to consider political philosophy… The proper role of the Senate is to advise and consent to the particular nomination, and thus, as the Constitution puts it, "to appoint." This taken within the context of modern times should mean an examination only into the qualifications of the President's nominee.
What standard then can be drawn for the Senate from the experiences of the past year in advising and consenting to Presidential nominations to the Supreme Court? … At the outset, the Senate should discount the philosophy of the nominee.
The other “standards” he proposes are competence, achievement/distinction, temperament, ethical behavior, and no criminal record.

Respect for law and the administration of justice has, at various times in our history, been the only buffer between chaos and order. And this past year this pillar of our society [SCOTUS] has been buffeted once again by the winds of both justified and unconscionable attacks. It is time the President and the Congress helped to put an end to the turmoil.
… the true measure of a statesman may well be the ability to rise above partisan political considerations to objectively pass upon another aspiring human being.

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

I have to agree with Sal, Pkr.   Everything coming from the Republicans in the Senate and on the campaign trail says there's no way they'll entertain ANY candidate for the court Obama nominates.   I'm pretty sure I heard Rubio, for instance, say something like, "We want this election to be a referendum on the Supreme Court."   As if!!!  Where do we find THAT provision in the Constitution??

I feel it is going to be largely a referendum on conservatism!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum