Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scalia Dead

+10
EmeraldGhost
cool1
Wordslinger
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
2seaoat
knothead
Hospital Bob
dumpcare
Sal
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Scalia Dead Empty Scalia Dead 2/13/2016, 6:28 pm

Sal

Sal

Hate to wish ill will on anyone, but this a positive development for the nation.

2Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/13/2016, 6:30 pm

dumpcare

Associate Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead of apparent natural causes Saturday on a luxury resort in West Texas, federal officials said.

Scalia, 79, was a guest at the Cibolo Creek Ranch, a resort in the Big Bend region south of Marfa.

According to a report, Scalia arrived at the ranch on Friday and attended a private party with about 40 people. When he did not appear for breakfast, a person associated with the ranch went to his room and found a body.

Chief U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia, of the Western Judicial District of Texas, was notified about the death from the U.S. Marshals Service.

U.S. District Judge Fred Biery said he was among those notified about Scalia's death.

"I was told it was this morning," Biery said of Scalia's death. "It happened on a ranch out near Marfa. As far as the details, I think it's pretty vague right now as to how," he said. "My reaction is it's very unfortunate. It's unfortunate with any death, and politically in the presidential cycle we're in, my educated guess is nothing will happen before the next president is elected."

The U.S. Marshal Service, the Presidio County sheriff and the FBI were involved in the investigation.

Officials with the law enforcement agencies declined to comment.

A federal official who asked not to be named said there was no evidence of foul play and it appeared that Scalia died of natural causes.

A gray Cadillac hearse pulled into the ranch last Saturday afternoon. The hearse came from Alpine Memorial Funeral Home.

Scalia was nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan.

3Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/13/2016, 6:53 pm

Wow

4Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/13/2016, 7:00 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I nominate Alexander Shunnarah to be Supreme Court Justice.

Scalia Dead Alex210

p.s.  you have to live in the area for this to make any sense

5Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/13/2016, 8:06 pm

knothead

knothead

Bob wrote:I nominate Alexander Shunnarah to be Supreme Court Justice.

Scalia Dead Alex210

p.s.  you have to live in the area for this to make any sense

cheers cheers

6Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/13/2016, 10:04 pm

2seaoat

He was a critical voice in scaling back the police abuses of exceptions to the fourth amendment. He was very conservative, yet as a conservative he was the leader in attacking government's abuses in regard to the fourth amendment. I strongly disagreed with his decisions generally, but he was a brilliant man. Now the circus will begin with the confirmation of his replacement. This is exceptional bad news for conservatives because if President Obama is able to appoint his replacement, the five/four conservative coalition will flip, and this will happen before the new president is sworn into office. He is not the one I expected to pass, and this is a huge hit to conservative jurisprudence.

7Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/13/2016, 11:21 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

He was probably the determining factor in the "election" of Bush. I will not miss him in any way. Republicans, in particular Mitch McConnell, are already pledging to block any nominee by President Obama, even though the election is 9 months away...so predictable, and such a travesty.

8Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 1:54 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Here is what Rafael Eduardo Cruz had to say about it at tonight's GOP debate:

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

9Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 6:01 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Good riddance. Thank you Jesus.

10Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 9:18 am

cool1

cool1

RIP

11Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 9:42 am

Wordslinger wrote:Good riddance. Thank you Jesus.

What an ass. I wish you could experience the ideology you adore.

12Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 10:09 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Here is what Rafael Eduardo Cruz had to say about it at tonight's GOP debate:

Scalia Dead Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM-PmJDiyTxWd32saMCl2Hj50pKDCpedf2Hkni7RksywmytkbqOQ

13Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 12:14 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

ppaca wrote:Associate Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead of apparent natural causes Saturday on a luxury resort in West Texas, federal officials said. ....

What were the "natural causes" I wonder?  

I mean, how do they know since there's been no autopsy yet?   Are news reporters doing double-duty as coroners nowadays?

And what were they doing in Marfa? Bird hunting? Was Cheney there?

Inquiring minds want to know.

14Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 1:03 pm

dumpcare

That's exactly what I wondered, natural causes? How do they know this without autopsy?

Was he sick?

Was he involved in a scandal that has come to light in his inner circle and time to take his own life?

Or did he just have a massive heart attack?

15Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 1:28 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:Good riddance.  Thank you Jesus.

What an ass. I wish you could experience the ideology you adore.

How very Christian of you .... LOL

16Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 1:29 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Scalia helped make Citizens United a reality. Good riddance.

17Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 1:31 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Q: Did Cheney shoot him too?

18Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 1:45 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

ppaca wrote:That's exactly what I wondered, natural causes? How do they know this without autopsy?

Was he sick?

Was he involved in a scandal that has come to light in his inner circle and time to take his own life?

Or did he just have a massive heart attack?

Scalia Dead Itsaliens.jpg.CROP.original-original

19Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 2:44 pm

Sal

Sal

If there's any justice in this world, the Repukes' refusal to consider Obama's replacement nominee will burn them badly.

Elections have consequences.

This invention that a President's last year isn't valid is nonsensical bullshit.

20Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 4:40 pm

RealLindaL

Salinsky wrote:If there's any justice in this world, the Repukes' refusal to consider Obama's replacement nominee will burn them badly.

This invention that a President's last year isn't valid is nonsensical bullshit.

Hope you're right about the election consequences of yet another bull-headed stall, Sal, but, aside from the presidential race, nothing seems to move the voters toward sweeping changes in their Congressional representation, as much as they complain about it, even to the point of apparently adulating outsiders in the presidential candidacy race (as though that would fix things).  Would that it could be different this year!

Totally agree with your last statement.   I keep hearing the phraseology that "the people have a right to speak" via a presidential election before Scalia's seat is filled.   Excuse me??  "The people" spoke in 2008 and again in 2012, and they didn't say anything about Obama's second term's coming to an effective end before it ends.   He's still the president the PEOPLE elected, and will be until he officially leaves office.    

What's operative here is the Republicans' and conservatives' apparently rather blind conviction that what "the people" want is something entirely different from what popularity polls indicate, based, I suppose, on overwhelming evidence such as the party-line-spouting folks who typically call into conservative talk radio shows.   Or something.  Can't figure that one out myself.

But when the recent national Gallup poll showed Obama as the most respected man in America (and Hillary as the most respected woman), I recall Glenn Beck's asking on air, completely mystified: "Are we that out of touch??"

YES!!!!!!!

But how to convince "the people" to get to the voting booth and completely change the face of our dysfunctional Congress??  

If Obama nominates a moderate such as Sri Srinivasan and McConnell et al refuse to even allow a confirmation vote, it could (it SHOULD) be disastrous for the Republican Party.   From Politico:

"D.C. Circuit Judge Sri Srinivasan is perhaps the most attractive potential Supreme Court nominee for Obama if the goal is to put pressure on McConnell to allow a Senate confirmation vote. Nominated by Obama in June 2012, Srinivasan was confirmed in May 2013 by a unanimous, 97-0 vote.

"Democrats believe that unambiguous verdict on Srinivasan could make it awkward for McConnell to block a vote on his nomination."

Yet just this morning I saw Rubio on TV stating that, even though he himself had previously supported Srinivasan for the DC Circuit, there would be no vote on ANY candidate for SCOTUS until after the presidential election.  Now come on, people, that is just about as childish as it gets.

And what are they going to do if a Dem is elected president?  Try to "delay delay delay" a Scalia replacement confirmation until the 2020 election??  GET REAL.

21Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 6:27 pm

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
Salinsky wrote:If there's any justice in this world, the Repukes' refusal to consider Obama's replacement nominee will burn them badly.

Hope you're right about the election consequences of yet another bull-headed stall, Sal, but, aside from the presidential race, nothing seems to move the voters toward sweeping changes in their Congressional representation, as much as they complain about it, even to the point of apparently adulating outsiders in the presidential candidacy race (as though that would fix things).  Would that it could be different this year!

Totally agree with your last statement.   I keep hearing the phraseology that "the people have a right to speak" via a presidential election before Scalia's seat is filled.   Excuse me??  "The people" spoke in 2008 and again in 2012, and they didn't say anything about Obama's second term's coming to an effective end before it ends.   He's still the president the PEOPLE elected, and will be until he officially leaves office.    

What's operative here is the Republicans' and conservatives' apparently rather blind conviction that what "the people" want is something entirely different from what popularity polls indicate, based, I suppose, on overwhelming evidence such as the party-line-spouting folks who typically call into conservative talk radio shows.   Or something.  Can't figure that one out myself.

But when the recent national Gallup poll showed Obama as the most respected man in America (and Hillary as the most respected woman), I recall Glenn Beck's asking on air, completely mystified: "Are we that out of touch??"

YES!!!!!!!

But how to convince "the people" to get to the voting booth and completely change the face of our dysfunctional Congress??  

If Obama nominates a moderate such as Sri Srinivasan and McConnell et al refuse to even allow a confirmation vote, it could (it SHOULD) be disastrous for the Republican Party.   From Politico:

"D.C. Circuit Judge Sri Srinivasan is perhaps the most attractive potential Supreme Court nominee for Obama if the goal is to put pressure on McConnell to allow a Senate confirmation vote. Nominated by Obama in June 2012, Srinivasan was confirmed in May 2013 by a unanimous, 97-0 vote.

"Democrats believe that unambiguous verdict on Srinivasan could make it awkward for McConnell to block a vote on his nomination."

Yet just this morning I saw Rubio on TV stating that, even though he himself had previously supported Srinivasan for the DC Circuit, there would be no vote on ANY candidate for SCOTUS until after the presidential election.  Now come on, people, that is just about as childish as it gets.

And what are they going to do if a Dem is elected president?  Try to "delay delay delay" a Scalia replacement confirmation until the 2020 election??  GET REAL.

Linda so what do we have here? A conundrum or a Catch 22? You described the situation very well btw . . .

22Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 7:38 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Wait for poster Markle's propaganda piece on the Scalia replacement for both a laugh and an insight to what the blockheads are thinking.......

23Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 8:17 pm

dumpcare

No doubt he will ignore this:

The Constitution of the United States is at stake. Article II, Section 2 clearly provides that the President, and the President alone, nominates judges. The Senate is empowered to give advice and consent. But my Democratic colleagues want to change the rules. They want to reinterpret the Constitution to require a supermajority for confirmation. In effect, they would take away the power to nominate from the President and grant it to a minority of 41 Senators."
"[T]he Republican conference intends to restore the principle that, regardless of party, any President's judicial nominees, after full debate, deserve a simple up-or-down vote. I know that some of our colleagues wish that restoration of this principle were not required. But it is a measured step that my friends on the other side of the aisle have unfortunately made necessary. For the first time in 214 years, they have changed the Senate's 'advise and consent' responsibilities to 'advise and obstruct.'"

Take it from Sen. Mitch McConnell: for the Senate to block a sitting president from nominating a Supreme Court nominee—not just a specific nominee, mind you, but any nominee at all, would put the Constitution of the United States itself at stake. And he's a patriot, so he would never even consider such a thing.

24Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 8:37 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

ppaca wrote:No doubt he will ignore this:

The Constitution of the United States is at stake.  Article II, Section 2 clearly provides that the President, and the President alone, nominates judges.  The Senate is empowered to give advice and consent.  But my Democratic colleagues want to change the rules.  They want to reinterpret the Constitution to require a supermajority for confirmation.  In effect, they would take away the power to nominate from the President and grant it to a minority of 41 Senators."
"[T]he Republican conference intends to restore the principle that, regardless of party, any President's judicial nominees, after full debate, deserve a simple up-or-down vote.  I know that some of our colleagues wish that restoration of this principle were not required. But it is a measured step that my friends on the other side of the aisle have unfortunately made necessary. For the first time in 214 years, they have changed the Senate's 'advise and consent' responsibilities to 'advise and obstruct.'"

Take it from Sen. Mitch McConnell: for the Senate to block a sitting president from nominating a Supreme Court nominee—not just a specific nominee, mind you, but any nominee at all, would put the Constitution of the United States itself at stake. And he's a patriot, so he would never even consider such a thing.

He will wait until the wingnut blogs (TheGatewaypundit.com; HotAir.com, etc.) twist their own story, then claim he has all the FACTS (LOL!).

25Scalia Dead Empty Re: Scalia Dead 2/14/2016, 8:48 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

The Presdent has every right to appoint a judge to the Supreme Court -- that power was granted to him by an election victory of some 5,000,000 votes.

And the republicans in the senate and house can stymie this appointment and reinforce their image as champions of dysfunctionalism.

This, there can be little doubt, will help diminish the chances of republicans in congress keeping their jobs during the 2016 national election.

Go ahead shitheads ... shut'er down! LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum