Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Studer

+2
2seaoat
dumpcare
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Studer Empty Studer 1/23/2016, 12:08 am

dumpcare

So what do think is really going on with Studer? Is the love affair over? Will he sell the wahoo's? Or is he just sick of the politics of the good ole boy network?

http://pulsegulfcoast.com/2016/01/quint-studer-resigns-from-studer-group-50m-downtown-project-suspended

Hours after resigning from his position with the company he founded, Pensacola developer Quint Studer told a group of realtors on Thursday that his proposed $50 million mixed-use development in downtown Pensacola would not move forward.

Studer, 64, is the founder of Studer Group, a healthcare consulting firm. He is also the owner, with his wife Rishy, of dozens of acres of downtown real estate, as well as the Pensacola Blue Wahoos baseball team.

Multiple attendees of the Pensacola Association of Realtors meeting confirmed Studer’s comments.

John Waas, president-elect of the Pensacola Association of Realtors, was in attendance at the association’s monthly meeting where Studer was invited to speak as a principal speaker. Waas said Studer’s speech was motivational in nature and Studer told the audience to “pay attention to what was going on around you in Pensacola.”

It wasn’t expected,” Waas said. “He was running late because he had just announced his resignation from the Studer Group. He told us the apartments were dead and they’re not going to take place.” Waas also said Studer told the crowd he was looking to invest more in his hometown of Janesville, Wisc., where his family lives.

Reached Thursday evening, Andrew Rothfeder, a partner with Studer Community Development Group, said that Studer has been seeking assistance and public investment in his $50 million proposed mixed-use apartment development in downtown Pensacola. “We’ve been very public that without some sort of assistance from city and county the project cannot work,” Rothfeder said.

Studer denied saying the project was dead or suspended and called attendees’ characterization of his comments “wrong,” saying that his comments came in response to a question about whether or not there was a chance the project might not happen. Asked what it would take to get the project done, Studer said “it’ll take taking some of the property taxes we pay and putting it into a parking garage.”

Pensacola mayor Ashton Hayward said Thursday that he had met with Studer and his team on January 11, characterizing the meeting as “very positive.”

“The physical landscape as we know it is going to change immensely over the next three years,” said Hayward, citing other downtown developments including a new hotel on Main Street, the One Palafox Place project, and the new Downtown YMCA currently under construction. “We need to be proactive, not reactive. When I met with Quint I told him I was totally committed to finding a win-win and moving his project forward.”

“I have no reason to believe these apartments will not be built,” said Hayward. Asked specifically if the city was willing to contribute to the cost of the project’s parking garage, Hayward said that he was “committed to looking at every solution.”

The $50 million project, on the site of the former Pensacola News Journal headquarters, was expected to add more than 250 residential units in the downtown core, along with retail space, offices, and a public/private parking garage. Quint and Rishy Studer purchased the property in 2013.

The Pensacola City Council and Escambia County Commission granted the project an EDATE, or Economic Development Ad Valorem Tax Exemption, in December. The incentive would essentially waive much of the property taxes which would otherwise be charged on the finished project through 2025. However, the fate of the nearly $3 million incentive has been uncertain due to lingering questions about the incentive’s legality. The state enterprise zone program under which the incentive was awarded ended on December 31.

Studer expressed his frustration that the issue of the EDATE incentive remains unsettled. “There was no Plan B,” Studer said Thursday, “There was a good feeling that we’d get the deal done.” Essentially, Studer is now looking either for the EDATE issue to be settled in his favor, or for the city and county to charge the property taxes but dedicate the revenue toward funding a portion of the project’s parking garage.

The Studers also own the 19-acre site which formerly housed ECUA’s Main Street Wastewater Treatment Plant.

In a statement released Thursday, newly named Studer Group president Debbie Ritchie said the company was “excited for Quint as he enters into this next phase of his journey.”

“As always but especially today, we celebrate the legacy Quint created and will continue to honor him through the pursuit of living Studer Group’s mission, vision and values,” said Ritchie. “Through careful development of the Studer Group team, creation of intellectual capital and processes, and through investment partnerships into Studer Group, Quint and colleagues have planned for and constructed a ‘built to last’ culture. Quint’s passion has touched each of our lives and will continue to make a difference in the Pensacola community and other areas of interest to him.”

Studer has resided in Pensacola since 1996, when he was hired by Baptist Hospital as its president. Studer left Baptist in 2000 to found Studer Group.

2Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 12:40 am

2seaoat

The bumbling on paying for the parking downtown is simply a huge mistake by the city. Every city in America would want that project, and without exception tax increment financing or deferred taxes pay for infrastructure which will be used for years and will spark downtown development. This man has done so much and has been Chit on by the good old boy network.....you cannot handicap stupidity, and if he leaves to go to Janesville, I think he is making a horrible investment mistake.....Pensacola is just about to explode, and you have to have competent people on staff who understand when a statute is going to expire, and the need to get things done.......Maritime Park is simply a huge success and the old PNJ site will be an even bigger success bringing people downtown. If I had remained healthy, I would be living downtown.....I am over in Santa Rosa County, and Pensacola has such a wonderful flavor.....Santa Rosa is like eating plain white rice.....it can keep you alive but it is bland and not a lot of fun. Pensacola keeps getting better and Studer was an important part of it.....but he is from North....so of course he cannot do anything which is good.....incredible logic.

3Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 8:23 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

When I was in business,  I never asked the city taxpayers to subsidize me.
I was able to make a profit without any help from the goddamn city taxpayers.
If this guy can't do that,  then good riddance.  I hope he goes back to Wisconsin. 
And if he leaves that eyesore downtown unfinished,  then I hope and pray the city will make him pay for demolishing it.

4Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 8:36 am

2seaoat

When I was in business

Yes Bob.....after forty years of you making contributions to society through your business work.....what have you left for future generations which made the city or people of Pensacola better? Studer will be gone and buried and 100 years from now his contributions will be multiplied many times over as he has transformed Downtown into a dynamic economic engine.....nothing personal, but Clarence would not earn his wings trying to see what your contributions were in your life compared to what Mr. Studer has done......but then again jealous and inferiority complexes have driven most of the attacks against the man......I doubt I will hear any bells ringing Bob with an angel earning their wings, but that was your choice to go to the beach in high school. I wish my efforts in business could have left this world a little better, and to that end I still strive, but my efforts pale in comparison to what Studer has accomplished.

5Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 8:57 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well if I coulda got the city taxpayers to chip in to pay for it,  we would have a jukebox museum on that waterfront property instead of a half-assed baseball team that's at the bottom of the league. 
And I wouldn't have charged seven bucks for a beer at the jukebox museum.  I'd let em have the beer for the same price as Richeys package store charges.  lol

6Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:01 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Besides seaoat,  if you're gonna tell the residents of the City of Pensacola how to conduct their affairs,  then get out of the hinterlands and move into the goddamn city.  lol

7Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:06 am

2seaoat

Well if I coulda got the city taxpayers to chip in

How did the taxpayers chip in? Last time I checked, a hundred years from now the taxpayers will still own Maritime Park, and but for the tenants......it would never have existed. Let me help you with what the debate is about......It has nothing to do with the taxpayers chipping in......he will pay for the parking structure.....that is right.....more money out of his pocket, all he is asking for is deferral of HIS paying taxes which over fifty years the taxpayers get a HUGE tax windfall by the increase in the property tax base and increased sale taxes.....Stupid is hard to handicap. I guess it took a Yankee to fix stupid.

8Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:11 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130519/NEWS01/305190026

9Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:12 am

2seaoat

Besides seaoat, if you're gonna tell the residents of the City of Pensacola how to conduct their affairs, then get out of the hinterlands and move into the goddamn city. lol

It has nothing to do with where you live, and it has everything to do with intelligence. Maritime Park has been a HUGE success, and I was a lone voice on the PNJ outlining why it would be a success for eight years. I was accused of being a studerite......never met the man, but if stupid is what it takes, and moving to town gives me a right not to be stupid.......I think I am fine with telling it like it is.....it does get old being right most of the time. I think some in Pensacola are just blinded by intelligent and successful people, and that is what Studer is.......too damn smart to be understand, but future generations will benefit from the man.......and your jukebox museum....just more good old boy Pensacola all talk and no action.....but I do have to say I like your backyard, and after you pass the new owner will have a slice of heaven in their backyard, so maybe your contributions have been underestimated.

10Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:15 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:  I guess it took a Yankee to fix stupid.

Those yankees are one smart bunch.  Just look at Detroit for the proof of that.  lol

11Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:17 am

2seaoat

Tax subsidy......nonsense. Look at the net numbers and then tell me about tax subsidy. Again, you cannot handicap stupidity. When you tell me about the assessed value increase and sales tax dollars collected, and argue that there is a subsidy, I might listen........however, one more analysis of looking at only one side of the equation........hopefully some of the increase in taxes will be used on the schools, because it is certain that those who graduated from the schools have suffered irreparable damage which has lasted a lifetime.....I figure that one ought to get Hallmark barking at me.

12Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:17 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:It has nothing to do with where you live

Oh no.  We'll then by all means tell me the name of that little podunk in Illinois where you live so I can start telling those fuckers what to do.  lol

13Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:22 am

2seaoat

Those yankees are one smart bunch. Just look at Detroit for the proof of that. lol

Yep, they built the American automobile industry.....only to see the 1% move plants to where cheap labor existed......and where was that.....oh yea......where folks played banjos.....and then to foreign countries.....but Yankee ingenuity built America........and they kicked the asz of the terrorists who tried to hurt this great country.....and are still trying to hurt this country.....thank goodness Mr. Studer is helping some of those poor souls.

14Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:26 am

2seaoat

Oh no. We'll then by all means tell me the name of that little podunk in Illinois where you live so I can start telling those fuckers what to do. lol

What and tell you where Rosebud is......it is a magical place where only the wise who have reached the highest levels of Maslow's pyramid can experience....you are lost in a wasteland of stupid.....where somebody still thinks Maritime Park is a burden on the taxpayers........I would tell you where Rosebud is.....but I am afraid you would end up in Jay, or worse attending church regularly in Milton.

15Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:34 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Oh no.  We'll then by all means tell me the name of that little podunk in Illinois where you live so I can start telling those fuckers what to do.  lol

What and tell you where Rosebud is......it is a magical place where only the wise who have reached the highest levels of Maslow's pyramid can experience....you are lost in a wasteland of stupid.....where somebody still thinks Maritime Park is a burden on the taxpayers........I would tell you where Rosebud is.....but I am afraid you would end up in Jay, or worse attending church regularly in Milton.

I may be an ignorant inbred southern cracker (albeit a bisexual one lol),  seaoat.  But even ignorant inbred southern crackers have google maps.  lol

Studer Rosebu10

16Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:41 am

2seaoat

I may be an ignorant inbred southern cracker (albeit a bisexual one lol), seaoat. But even ignorant inbred southern crackers have google maps. lol

I guess I cannot argue with your self characterization because your post shows you have no comprehension of what and where Rosebud is.......that would take an incredible amount of intelligence, reading, and comprehension......so I will be playing poker Sunday night forty miles south of your map in Metropolis where the Superman statute tells all that you are in Metropolis, but Rosebud.....much more difficult to discover.....much more difficult.

17Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:48 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Okay now I get it.  You live in a fictional place named after an Orson Welles' movie gimmick.  lol

18Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 9:59 am

2seaoat

With all the clues I have given, a learned person would have told me where Rosebud was years ago, and that is why so many stumble through life never achieving Rosebud.....they simply do not know how to get there and think it can be found on google maps north of Metropolis. Maybe in March I can enlighten you, but to do so means that paradise might be in danger.

19Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 10:47 am

2seaoat

Bob must have left for garage sales.....

20Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 10:58 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Bob must have left for garage sales.....

Damn,  you are pyschic.  lol

Went to one sale down by Bayview Park.  Bought one of them tall and skinny ceramic space heaters to keep the plants warm inside the storage room. 
Then came home because there aint no more sales.  Too cold.

21Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 11:15 am

dumpcare

Well when I was 6 yrs old there were 24 auto manufacturing plants, 1 huge goodyear tire plant and several auto parts plants, by the time I was 18, no auto plants, still had goodyear tire and rubber and several auto parts plants that were rather large. I worked at a couple before going into the service just before age 19. I came home at age 23, most were gone except for a few die cast plants, I worked at one for awhile, and goodyear was still there. At around age 30 goodyear closed and moved to Union City, Tn., where that is now closed.

I have had two Hyundai elantra's in the past 4 years, lost one to the flood, one was built in Korea and my present in Montgomery. The one I lost built in Seoul by far had better gas mileage (2012) and ran much better than the one built in Montgomery in 2014.

Ford just closed a plant in Mexico and brought back to the state's.

Michigan lost these plants to foreign country's because of the cost of labor and union demand's. Some are slowly filtering back but at much lower wages.

Trump says he will bring back all auto plants and place them in Michigan. Well since history repeats itself and if this happen's you will see a big comeback of union's, therefore making the price of a ford focus cost about $10,000 more over the course of 5 years than it would have been.

Anyway I see today Studer is committed to Pensacola and btw he is not from Janesville. He is from a small town in Ill.

22Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 11:17 am

dumpcare

Bob wrote:

Went to one sale down by Bayview Park.  Bought one of them tall and skinny ceramic space heaters to keep the plants warm inside the storage room. 

I'm going to have one in the next few weeks and I don't want to see you figuring sales tax on your calculator. lol! lol!

23Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 11:35 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ppaca wrote:
Bob wrote:

I'm going to have one in the next few weeks and I don't want to see you figuring sales tax on your calculator. lol! lol!

I'll make a deal with you.  If you let me get an early preview,  I won't even try to negotiate prices.  I'll pay your asking price or walk away with no hard feelings.  lol

24Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 1:57 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Why should Studer get a $3 million tax break for building RENTAL PROPERTY? Anyone?

25Studer Empty Re: Studer 1/23/2016, 3:06 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The "white flight" to the suburbs is over with.  The national trend (in cities everywhere across the country) now is people wanting to move back to the urban core and to the near urban area. 
Every city has developers involved with this because that's where the action is.  And because it's a profitable enterprise.

The city governments like this because it revitalizes their urban space and the new development provides additional tax revenues.  So they will partner with developers and provide them incentives in order to help accomplish this.

Quint Studer just happens to be one of the individuals involved with this in Pensacola.
I've never been "anti-studer".  But I also understand that he's no seer and no genius and no messiah.  Just another developer. 
And because the trend toward urban revitalization is now with us,  there are plenty of studers to take his place if he doesn't like it here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum