Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

‘Downton Abbey’ recap: A wedding and a surprise guest

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

knothead

knothead

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/01/17/downton-abbey-recap-a-wedding-and-a-surprise-guest/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_downton-1135pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

We have followed this drama from the beginning and will enjoy this the final season . . . . . . a fantastic production.

Sal

Sal

I find the fascination many Americans have with all things British a little odd given our history.

Are you the type that also gushes over the royal family.

I find that really disturbing.

knothead

knothead

Salinsky wrote:I find the fascination many Americans have with all things British a little odd given our history.

Not at all Sal but this series was called to my attention by friends of ours so we tuned in and got enthralled by the way of life. From wikipedia:

This British drama series follows the lives of the Crawley family and its servants in the family's classic Georgian country house. The series begins with the 1912 sinking of the Titanic, which leaves Downton Abbey's future in jeopardy, since the presumptive heirs of Robert, Earl of Grantham -- his cousin James, and James' son, Patrick -- die in the catastrophe, leaving the family without a male offspring to take over Downton when the current lord dies. The point is important since Lord Grantham's children are daughters -- Ladies Mary, Edith and Sybil, but the facets of their lives and of those of the below-stairs staff -- also a highly regimented world -- have fascinating story lines.

Never would have I believed it would interest me but it is so well done it is just fascinating but like everything it's not for everybody

It's all the same bad vices of modern shows but with a British accent and beautiful clothes. We've watched, too, from the beginning.

Another PBS show follows when Downton ends - Mercy Street. It follows the story of union held Mansion Hospital in Alexandria VA. I'm wondering if the story will follow close to the true story of another union held hospital in Franklin TN - Carnton Plantation. We visited there a few years ago. Interesting. I'll be watching.

Also, History Channel will have the miniseries "War and Peace."

Looks like some great viewing from PBS - as usual.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:
Salinsky wrote:I find the fascination many Americans have with all things British a little odd given our history.

Not at all Sal but this series was called to my attention by friends of ours so we tuned in and got enthralled by the way of life.  From wikipedia:

This British drama series follows the lives of the Crawley family and its servants in the family's classic Georgian country house. The series begins with the 1912 sinking of the Titanic, which leaves Downton Abbey's future in jeopardy, since the presumptive heirs of Robert, Earl of Grantham -- his cousin James, and James' son, Patrick -- die in the catastrophe, leaving the family without a male offspring to take over Downton when the current lord dies. The point is important since Lord Grantham's children are daughters -- Ladies Mary, Edith and Sybil, but the facets of their lives and of those of the below-stairs staff -- also a highly regimented world -- have fascinating story lines.

Never would have I believed it would interest me but it is so well done it is just fascinating but like everything it's not for everybody

I agree with Knothead. I came on board late with the series and binge watched the early years on Netflix or one of the other subscriptions. It was far and away one of the best series on TV.

I have to say that everything about the British TV series in general are far and away superior to American drama or mystery series. The writing is magnificent, you really have to watch and listen. I can watch most of our drama's, go on here or Facebook and go fix something for dinner and not miss a beat. Can't do that with the British shows. They also incorporate real life looking actors. There are some downright ugly characters with wonderful parts, and many that are overweight or whatever. The incorporate pets into many of the shows in typical way with all the affection we have for our pets. they even carry on conversations with them.

I have found that while I still record many of the American dramas I would never miss, I sidestep them, especially late at night and opt for the subscription channels.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum