Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gambling 101: Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries. Play only numbers 32 through 69.

+3
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote: Bob's theory as usual forgot the most important component.....math.

I used the same math at the dog track.  It didn't work there either.  lol
Where was the mistake in my calculations?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

RealLindaL wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Your theory was a stunning success!

Presume you're being facetious here, especially as there were two numbers and the Powerball below 31.

Oh well.  Back to the drawing board.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

However,  I should point out that they just reported there are three winning tickets and one was bought in Florida.
So the fat lady hasn't sung on my ticket just yet.

Sal

Sal

Florida's winning ticket was sold in Melbourne Beach.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Damn.  That's Walton County where Huckabee lives.  Please don't tell me he won.  He'll spend it on wall to wall tv ads.  They'll probably even preempt Days of our Lives.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But seriously,  that's right down the road from here,  Sal. 
Good to see a fellow panhandler be one of the winners.
Let's hope it's not a yankee snowbird intruder though.  There's plenty of them
in Walton County right now.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wait a minute,  you said Melbourne Beach.  I thought you said Miramar Beach.
I haven't had my coffee yet.  My mind's not full woke up.

2seaoat

In my eighth grade math class we were taught the theories of probability. Your advice was stunningly ignorant of how probabilities work. Your theory guaranteed that a person would have LESS of a chance of winning, but rather than giving you the answer why.......see if you can figure why. I sure hope in eighth grade you were not sneaking to the beach......

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:In my eighth grade math class we were taught the theories of probability.  Your advice was stunningly ignorant of how probabilities work.  Your theory guaranteed that a person would have LESS of a chance of winning, but rather than giving  you the answer why.......see if you can figure why.   I sure hope in eighth grade you were not sneaking to the beach......

You totally misstated what I wrote. 

The chance of any Powerball ticket winning is always 1 in 292 million.   I clearly said that.  There is NOTHING anyone can do to gain any advantage with that.  There is no system,  no strategy, no nothing,  that can change that.
There is nothing me or you or the greatest gambling minds in Vegas can do to give anybody's ticket either "less of a chance" or more of a chance of winning.  It's always gonna be 1 in 292 million.

Also,  nobody can "guarantee" any outcome.  If somebody could guarantee the outcome then that person wouldn't be running his mouth on an internet forum telling OTHERS how to do it.  He'd already have more winnings than the combined wealth of Gates,  Buffet,  and Carlos Slim all put together.  lol

2seaoat

Please revisit the title of your thread to see what you posted......short term memory problems and to boot you forgot your eighth grade math. Get assessed before you give us more advice on gambling and probabilities.......and I am accused of lying about what you said to boot......

Sal

Sal

If I'm not mistaken, Melbourne Beach is on the east coast, not too far from Daytona.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

RealLindaL wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Your theory was a stunning success!

Presume you're being facetious here, especially as there were two numbers and the Powerball below 31.

No,  not two,  but five of the 6 numbers drawn were below 31. 
But a number "below 31" states it wrong.  31 is also a day of the month.
So you don't want that number either.  You don't want any number below 32.

As I said,  five of the six numbers drawn were below 32.
And do you see what resulted from that?  That resulted in THREE winning tickets.
And that means the three winners have to split the winnings.

If the numbers drawn had been mostly ABOVE 31,  it's more likely fewer winning tickets would have been sold.  Because fewer people are playing those numbers.
That's the point.

Last edited by Bob on 1/14/2016, 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

One other thing you and seaoat need to understand about probabilites.

It doesn't matter what the number combination is.  If I pick ALL my numbers above 32,  that ticket still has the same chance of winning as any other ticket.
Hell,  I could pick the highest numbers and buy a ticket with the numbers
64,  65, 66, 67, 68,  and 69.  And that ticket WOULD STILL HAVE THE SAME CHANCE OF WINNING AS ANY OTHER TICKET.

BUT,  with that higher number combination,  IF I WIN I would likely have to split the jackpot with fewer winners.  Because fewer people are playing those numbers.
What's so hard to grasp about that?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Please revisit the title of your thread to see what you posted......short term memory problems and to boot you forgot your eighth grade math.  Get assessed before you give us more advice on gambling and probabilities.......and I am accused of lying about what you said to boot......

I'll tell you how I learned what gambling is all about. 

It was in about 1975,  give or take a year.
That was when I got hold of my first slot machine.  I had gotten wind of the fact that old slot machines all of a sudden were collectible.
So I ran a wanted to buy ad in the Shopper.
A guy calls me from the ad.  He had pulled one out from under a house in Myrtle Grove.  So I went and bought it.
When I got it home,  the damn thing fascinated the shit out of me.  I wanted to see how it worked.  And over the course of the next few months I bought more and took them all apart and put them back together again.
And that's when I discovered EXACTLY how the law of probabilites works.
And the bottom line is,  it always works for the house. 
And boy does it work for "the house" with a lottery.  lol

dumpcare

Salinsky wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Melbourne Beach is on the east coast, not too far from Daytona.

You are correct.

dumpcare

Well this time I opted to purchase quick picks because I thought I'd listen to the experts for a change, I have a card in my glove compartment in my car that I used to play with birth dates and years. Well without even looking at my card I know 4 of the number's that were drawn are birth dates I used to play. I will look later and if I am correct will never listen to the experts again.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob, you said not to pick numbers below 31. I didn't win.

Sal

Sal

Bob screwed us all again ...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I give up.  Look,  my batting record on giving gambling advice has proven to be zero. 
All I can do is try to make up for it.  And the only logical conclusion to come to,  is next time there's a billion dollar jackpot,  I'll give advice again.
EXCEPT the next time,  do EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what I advise.
That might actually give you an advantage. And hopefully you'll be able to recoup your losses.  But I doubt it.
lol

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

OK Bob, thanks.

Bob, I am not giving up my dream for the first floor of Seville Tower. Losers never win. Get back that winning spirit! Keep on playing the lotto!

Laughing

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites and Joani,

I promise that when I win the powerball and buy the Seville Tower,  I'm going to give each of you two full floors in the building.
If I can't make do with six floors and a rooftop,  then that would just be being greedy.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I just realized that since the building has 58,000 square of space then one floor alone is 5800 square feet (since the building has 10 floors).

Right now I'm living in a house that has 1500 square feet in it.
If I had about three times that space,  I would be able to move around in here and have room left over.
So I only need one floor.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:SheWrites and Joani,

I promise that when I win the powerball and buy the Seville Tower,  I'm going to give each of you two full floors in the building.
If I can't make do with six floors and a rooftop,  then that would just be being greedy.
Bob I appreciate that....I will look forward to watching free baseball games from your rooftop....next powerball.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum