Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gambling 101: Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries. Play only numbers 32 through 69.

+3
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That's what so many do.  They choose their "lucky numbers" from birthdates or anniversaries.

With Powerball,  you choose from numbers 1 - 69.
People playing birthdates and anniversaries will always be choosing numbers which represent days and months,  the numbers 1 through 31. 
Yes,  some will also play numbers which represent a year and those could be any number.  BUT a lot more ticket purchasers are playing numbers 1 through 31 without the year being considered.
So you should limit your choice to a random selection of numbers between 32 and 69.

Why?  Because you have two goals when you buy a Powerball ticket.
One,  to win the jackpot.
And Two (equally important),  to try to avoid having to share the jackpot with other winners (holding the same number combination).

Last edited by Bob on 1/11/2016, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

or three......wake up Bob.......your dreaming again.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:or three......wake up Bob.......your dreaming again.

This is true for Florida so I imagine it's true for all 44 Powerball states.
For every $2 ticket sold, 34.0066% is allocated to the jackpot pool.

That tells us when the rollover jackpot in the last drawing reached $800 million,    a whopping $2.4 billion had been wagered prior to that.

Stay with me.  Since a ticket costs $2,  that means 1.2 billion tickets had been sold.  Roughly that is.  Because you have to factor in the non-jackpot winnings which have been paid out.
But the 1.2 billion tickets sold is close enough to make this observation.

The odds on one ticket having all six winning numbers (jackpot winner) is
1 in 292 million.

Stay with me.  More than a billion tickets sold,  and yet we still have not had one winner.  EVEN THOUGH THE ODDS ON ANY TICKET WINNING ARE 1 IN 292 MILLION.

Why do you think that is?  Well partly it's because there was so much duplication in the tickets being held.  Since the tickets were loaded up with birthday and anniversary numbers,  not every number combination had been purchased.  Hence no winning ticket was sold.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Good tip, Bob.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:Good tip, Bob.

Thanks,  Joani.  Do you have a ticket for Wednesday's drawing?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Not yet....I will get a quick-pick.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:Not yet....I will get a quick-pick.

If a miracle was to occur,  and one with longer odds than getting struck by lightning WHILE YOU'RE DROWNING (lol),  what is the first thing you would do with the money?

By the way,  with few exceptions,  most every winner will tell you winning the lottery ruined their lives.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

One tv news dude today said "you have better odds of becoming the President than winning the Powerball jackpot".

I don't know how in the world anyone could ever calculate such a thing as that.
I would say if you're not one of the candidates already,  then your odds are about zero. 
But if you are Trump or Hillary or Sanders or Cruz (or even the ones sitting at the "kid's table"),  I would think your odds of becoming President are a lot better than winning the Powerball.  lol

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I just got a metal detector and tonight I found 2 pennies and 3 bottle caps and I will be far ahead of most that play the lottery....

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I don't know. I would have to consult with several people.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I just got a metal detector and tonight I found 2 pennies and 3 bottle caps and I will be far ahead of most that play the lottery....

Wait a minute now.  My lottery ticket cost $2 and will get me nothing.  So I'll only be out $2.

The question is,  how much did you pay for the metal detector which got you 2 pennies and 3 bottle caps (also nothing)?

If it was more than $2,  then you won't be that far ahead of me. 
However,  you can sell the metal detector on ebay and cut your losses.
I can't get anything for a losing lottery ticket.  lol

Sal

Sal

Before Saturday's drawing, one of the local news channels had a reporter doing the obligatory convenience store spot asking people standing in line what they'd do with all that money.

A tattooed young man deadpanned, "I'm spending it all on cocaine and hookers".

That kinda money buys a lot of cocaine and hookers.

The reporter girl was gobsmacked.

dumpcare

You can see the frequency of number's drawn here:

http://www.powerball.com/pb_home.asp

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Another tip:  Keep in mind that if you pay the extra dollar to purchase "Power Play",  that only multiplies the lesser payouts,  not the jackpot.  The jackpot is exempt from Power Play.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:Before Saturday's drawing, one of the local news channels had a reporter doing the obligatory convenience store spot asking people standing in line what they'd do with all that money.

If I win the jackpot,  the first thing I'm going to buy is the Seville Tower.
I'm a lifelong skyscraper buff and I've always wanted to own my own gothic skyscraper and live in it.
(yea I know,  that is the one thing that me and Trump have in common so sue me).

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. 250px-Pensacola_AmNatBank02

What is now known as "Seville Tower",  is actually The American National Bank Building,  Florida's oldest skyscraper.

Trump may overlook Central Park.  But this skyscraper overlooks Plaza Ferdinand.  The place where Andrew Jackson transferred Florida to the United States.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My god,  I just learned something about Plaza Ferdinand for the first time.
It's the spot where this happened.  And it happened exactly at the same time they were building "Florida's first skyscraper" which overlooked it...

Leander A. Shaw (d. July 29, 1908) was a black man accused of the robbery, rape and murder of a white woman, Lillie Brewton Davis.
After the crime, Shaw was allegedly found rinsing his bloody shirt in Pensacola Bay, arrested and taken to the hospital where Davis, whose throat had been cut, positively identified him before dying. Headlines from the Pensacola Journal announced the "Brutal Assault by Burly Negro Upon White Lady."
A mob of 1,000 or more was formed on July 29 and demanded entry to the County Jail, where Shaw was being held. The sheriff, James C. Van Pelt, at first attempted to reason with the crowd, and when that failed, Sheriff Van Pelt reportedly deputized the entire crowd, apparently thinking that the mob would have to obey the law and disperse if its members were sheriff's deputies. The tactic failed; instead the members of the crowd stipulated that as deputies they should be given guns and access to the jail. According to the Pensacola News, Van Pelt told the crowd, "Gentlemen, here I am. You can kill me if you want to, but if you get my prisoner, it will be over my dead body. I have sworn to do my duty, and I am going to do it if I die for it!"
The mob stormed the jail twice. The gate was broken in the first attempt, around 9 o'clock, and Van Pelt and his deputies fired a volley that dropped three men, forcing the others to retreat. A second attempt around midnight resulted in a melee, injuring Van Pelt and his brother, John A. Van Pelt, and the prisoner was taken. The mob members killed in the raid were streetcar operator Henry C. Kellum and planter Bud Nichols.
Shaw was dragged from his cell, through the street, to Plaza Ferdinand VII. He was hanged without a trial from an electric pole in the plaza, and his body was riddled with 2,000 bullets from the angry crowd.
The crime and hanging are explored in the 2007 documentary Lillie & Leander: A Legacy of Violence by Davis's great-great-niece, filmmaker Alice Brewton Hurwitz.

Here's a photo of his body hanging in the Plaza.  Jackson's restaurant would be right behind the flash of light in the lower right corner...

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. 371px-Leandershaw

dumpcare

It's climbing Bob, you might have to buy an extra ticket.

The Powerball lottery jackpot climbed to $1.5 billion on Tuesday, making it the largest-ever U.S. lottery prize as well as the world's biggest potential jackpot for a single winner, according to lottery officials.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ppaca wrote:It's climbing Bob, you might have to buy an extra ticket.

The Powerball lottery jackpot climbed to $1.5 billion on Tuesday, making it the largest-ever U.S. lottery prize as well as the world's biggest potential jackpot for a single winner, according to lottery officials.

It's now $600 million past the old record holder,  the 2012 Spanish lottery at $900 million.

Here's something to contemplate.  We're now talking about billions,  not millions.  When billions of dollars are at stake,  that's a lot of incentive for crooks to try to figure out how to rig the lottery drawing.

dumpcare

I am so confident I am at least going to win 2 mil I cleaned out my office today and told them to stick insurance.

I was going to stop by your place Bob but I had to see someone out here in GB.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

We need to get jobs at the lottery department,  ppaca.  Because there might be a way to rig it.

There are only so many people who actually witness the lottery drawing as it happens.
Remember in one of the Mission Impossible movies where they created a video sequence and then substituted that for the real sequence?  That's actually doable. 
If you could get the people who actually see the drawing happen in person,  and the technicians who would be involved in knowing the video was being substituted;  if you get them all in on the plot...
then voila,  you substitute the fake video of the drawing for the real drawing,  and shazaam,  you could control the outcome.

Let's say there are as many as 100 people who would need to be in on it (although I think that number is too large).
Big deal,  remember the cash payout is now about $750 million.
That divides out to $7.5 million per conspirator.  Hell,  I'd agree to go along with it for $7.5 million.

Remember,  they were able to rig the "Blacksox" World Series for a lot less reward than that.

Bob wrote:
Salinsky wrote:Before Saturday's drawing, one of the local news channels had a reporter doing the obligatory convenience store spot asking people standing in line what they'd do with all that money.

If I win the jackpot,  the first thing I'm going to buy is the Seville Tower.
I'm a lifelong skyscraper buff and I've always wanted to own my own gothic skyscraper and live in it.
(yea I know,  that is the one thing that me and Trump have in common so sue me).

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. 250px-Pensacola_AmNatBank02

What is now known as "Seville Tower",  is actually The American National Bank Building,  Florida's oldest skyscraper.

Trump may overlook Central Park.  But this skyscraper overlooks Plaza Ferdinand.  The place where Andrew Jackson transferred Florida to the United States.

Can I lease a small ground floor space? Could that be maybe a $1 lease for 30 years? I'd like to fulfill my dream of owning a bookstore (yes I know it's antiquated in this technology age) and coffee bar. Laughing

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

Can I lease a small ground floor space?  Could that be maybe a $1 lease for 30 years?  I'd like to fulfill my dream of owning a bookstore (yes I know it's antiquated in this technology age) and coffee bar.  Laughing

I'm gonna go you one better. 

With my hand on the Pastafarian Bible...

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. Rev_Brian_Gospel_Hardback
...  I hereby do solemnly swear that if I win the Powerball lottery,  I will outright give you the deed to the entire front half of the first floor of Florida's oldest skyscraper to do with as you please (I need to keep the back half of the first floor for my parking garage). 
But with one condition.  It will be mandatory that I be able to operate this in your coffee shop/bookstore on one play for a nickel.  And that it have Southern Rock records on it (which will be piped into the elevators when seaoat visits).

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. 95010

By the way,  I'm gonna dress up the premises.  The first thing I'm going to add to the building is some gargoyles patterned after those on the Chrysler Building.

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. Kveus2228s

Last edited by Bob on 1/12/2016, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This will be what the rooftop will look like above the top floor penthouse looking toward Pensacola Bay,  SheWrites...

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. 1france_2185401k

dumpcare

Bob wrote:We need to get jobs at the lottery department,  ppaca.  Because there might be a way to rig it.

There are only so many people who actually witness the lottery drawing as it happens.
Remember in one of the Mission Impossible movies where they created a video sequence and then substituted that for the real sequence?  That's actually doable. 
If you could get the people who actually see the drawing happen in person,  and the technicians who would be involved in knowing the video was being substituted;  if you get them all in on the plot...
then voila,  you substitute the fake video of the drawing for the real drawing,  and shazaam,  you could control the outcome.

Let's say there are as many as 100 people who would need to be in on it (although I think that number is too large).
Big deal,  remember the cash payout is now about $750 million.
That divides out to $7.5 million per conspirator.  Hell,  I'd agree to go along with it for $7.5 million.

Remember,  they were able to rig the "Blacksox" World Series for a lot less reward than that.

I already tried that, they had an opening in Dec at the Davis Hwy location me and about 1000 people applied for it through the state. I did receive a nice rejection letter though even though they did not interview me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum