Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gambling 101: Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries. Play only numbers 32 through 69.

+3
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Bob wrote:This will be what the rooftop will look like above the top floor penthouse looking toward Pensacola Bay,  SheWrites...

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. - Page 2 1france_2185401k

Cool

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Hey I found two more bottle caps and a pull tab today...won't be long now I am sure I will find a treasure chest of gold....
Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. - Page 2 Detect10

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Hey I found two more bottle caps and a pull tab today...won't be long now I am sure I will find a treasure chest of gold....
Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. - Page 2 Detect10

Trade that metal detector in for a shovel and find me one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pepsi-Cola-Hutchinson-Bottle-Pensacola-Florida-1910-/141798121667?hash=item2103d3a0c3%3Ag%3AiQYAAOSwo0JWGVU-&nma=true&si=wpfr8FsojdDTvspcxyxssZiaK7w%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Hey I found two more bottle caps and a pull tab today...won't be long now I am sure I will find a treasure chest of gold....

Trade that metal detector in for a shovel and find me one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pepsi-Cola-Hutchinson-Bottle-Pensacola-Florida-1910-/141798121667?hash=item2103d3a0c3%3Ag%3AiQYAAOSwo0JWGVU-&nma=true&si=wpfr8FsojdDTvspcxyxssZiaK7w%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'll just float you a loan and you can buy one.....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

I'll just float you a loan and you can buy one.....

I already own two of them. 

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. - Page 2 210

Well actually,  I preferred it when it was only one of them a month ago (before it got dropped and became two).

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. - Page 2 One10

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:This will be what the rooftop will look like above the top floor penthouse looking toward Pensacola Bay,  SheWrites...

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. - Page 2 1france_2185401k

Bob will you be able to see the ballgames for free?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

Bob will you be able to see the ballgames for free?

I will,  Joani.  And from my 11th floor rooftop,  I'll be looking down on Studer and his little 5 story building.  And also looking down on Fred Levin and his little 6 story building.
Come to think of it,  even after I spend a few million to buy and remodel the skyscraper,  the money I'll have left over will be more than the combined wealth of Studer and Levin both.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Here's a Pensacola trivia question.  Which high profile Pensacolian is the current owner of the Seville Tower?

Bob wrote:Here's a Pensacola trivia question.  Which high profile Pensacolian is the current owner of the Seville Tower?

I would guess Fred Levin since the law firm used to occupy the building.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

That's true,  the Levin law firm used to occupy 5 floors of the building before they moved into their own building at 316 S. Baylen.
But no,  Fred is not the owner of the Seville Tower.

By the way,  the Seville Tower is now valued at $3 million and has 56,000 square feet of floor space.

http://www.propertyshark.com/mason/Property/90106484/226-S-Palafox-St-Pensacola-FL-32502/

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

That's true,  the Levin law firm used to occupy 5 floors of the building before they moved into their own building at 316 S. Baylen.
But no,  Fred is not the owner of the Seville Tower.

By the way,  the Seville Tower is now valued at $3 million and has 56,000 square feet of floor space.

http://www.propertyshark.com/mason/Property/90106484/226-S-Palafox-St-Pensacola-FL-32502/

OK, did some googling and see that it is Merrill Land.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:

You win.  Collier Merrill. 

Just for that I've decided to give you the WHOLE first floor.

I really won't need it for parking,  because I forgot the building comes with it's own 50 space parking lot...

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. - Page 2 Parkin10

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

You win.  Collier Merrill. 

Just for that I've decided to give you the WHOLE first floor.

I really won't need it for parking,  because I forgot the building comes with it's own 50 space parking lot...

Gambling 101:   Don't play Wednesday's Powerball with numbers from birthdates or anniversaries.  Play only numbers 32 through 69. - Page 2 Parkin10

Wow, Bob! This comes close to my dream of being on Jeopardy! And I've won the whole first floor!!! You've got to win this lottery. Laughing

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

SheWrites wrote:
Wow, Bob!  This comes close to my dream of being on Jeopardy! And I've won the whole first floor!!!  You've got to win this lottery.  Laughing

Don't worry, SheWrites.  The good news is the number combination on my  ticket has as much chance to win as any of the other 292 million number combinations. 
And just for you I've decided to buy a second ticket.  That will bring my odds down to one in 146 million.  lol

Bob wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
Wow, Bob!  This comes close to my dream of being on Jeopardy! And I've won the whole first floor!!!  You've got to win this lottery.  Laughing

Don't worry, SheWrites.  The good news is the number combination on my  ticket has as much chance to win as any of the other 292 million number combinations. 
And just for you I've decided to buy a second ticket.  That will bring my odds down to one in 146 million.  lol

OK, if you win I'll reimburse you for the tickets. Laughing Laughing

dumpcare

http://www.tampabay.com/news/nation/tampa-buddies-form-mother-of-all-powerball-pools-145000-for-72500-tickets/2261154

TAMPA — There are plenty of Powerball pools out there full of dreamers hoping their combined resources will land them a ticket to unimaginable wealth.

RELATED NEWS/ARCHIVE
Did you know? Tampa Bay has 73 of the 5,000 fastest-growing companies in the nation
5 Months Ago
Florida Lottery: $1 million Powerball ticket sold at Tampa Winn-Dixie store
3 Days Ago
Powerball jackpot increases to $1.4B as ticket sales surge
2 Days Ago

And then there is the monster that Ryan McGuinness and Shane Krugman have created.

By Wednesday afternoon, about six hours before the drawing for the record-breaking $1.5 billion jackpot, the Tampa men had organized a pool with about 270 participants who forked over at least $500 each. That added up to $146,000, which will buy about 73,000 $2 tickets.

The result: the group's odds of winning are just over 1 in 4,000. By comparison, the odds of any single Powerball ticket winning are 1 in 292.2 million.

"While it's still a longshot, it's reasonable," said McGuinness, a 32-year-old partner in a Tampa realty investment firm.

He started the first pool back when the jackpot was a mere $400 million, and enough people joined to buy $15,000 worth of tickets. In the next round, the group chipped in about $19,000.

"This last round is when everything went nuts," he said.

The men, who have been buddies for years, used Facebook to solicit contributions from friends, friends of friends or business associates. Most of the hopefuls are local but they also span the globe, with participants from Croatia, Siberia, London and Israel, Krugman said.

"It's just kind of mind-blowing," said the 33-year-old jewelry wholesaler. "At different points we were like, should we cap it? But the more people, the more chances, so it would be foolish not to take their money."

Since Sunday, the men have spent 10 to 12 hours a day buying tickets and posting updates on a private Facebook page. Each ticket is being scanned and the image posted on the page.

Each $500 contribution is worth one "unit" in the pool, so someone who contributes $1,000, for example, would get a double share from the total. The roughly 270 participants purchased about 290 units. McGuinness spent $1,500. Krugman kicked in $2,000.

So what's the potential payout?

If they win, the group would take the lump sum worth $930 million. After federal taxes, that's about $562 million. Since Florida doesn't have personal income taxes, that makes each unit worth about $1.9 million.

$900 million is great if you got there by yourself, but $2 million is great, too," said Mike Chen, 28, a Tampa auto dealership owner who contributed $500.

The men are purchasing all the tickets at the Metro Market on Palm Avenue in Ybor City. The store is owned by Sam Samhoury, whose son Mo contributed $500 for the pool.

The store spends hours printing the tickets and then scanning them for winners, but there's a payoff for the effort: The store gets a 5 percent commission on each Powerball ticket sold and a $100,000 bonus for selling the winning ticket.

"It's exciting," Mo Samhoury said. "It's amazing these guys were able to put together this kind of pool and have this many people trust them."

Lottery pools have devolved into ugly battles, but Chen said he has no concerns. He has done business with the men for years.

"I think that's why they were able to get investments from so many people, because of the level of trust people have in them," he said.

Beyond increasing their chances for a prize, there's another benefit to a pool of this size, Krugman said.

"The coolest thing," he said, "is everybody we hang out with would instantly be millionaires, so that would be pretty fun."

Wondering if they won? Check back to tampabay.com for updates.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

4000 to 1 odds.  Man that's gutsy.

dumpcare

Bob wrote:4000 to 1 odds.  Man that's gutsy.

They said on national news even the Chinese are getting a hold of these tickets from a broker, right after they said you had to buy within the states.

They also said 85% of the winning combination's have been sold, so it will it 100% of combination's before drawing time. Could be you man and I know where you live.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ppaca wrote:

They also said 85% of the winning combination's have been sold

So here's what's that's like.  In fact it's exactly like this in terms of the laws of probabilty.

It's like the shell game.  Only a little modification of it.
You have 10 shells lined up.  And 9 (well slightly 9) of those 10 shells have peas under them. 
10 shells with 9 peas under them.

I'll be willing to make a side bet with anyone here that this time there WILL be a winner.  In fact,  just because I'm in a generous mood,  I'll give you 4 to 1 odds.
Do I have any takers?
How bout you,  seaoat?  Are you in?

dumpcare

I won't take that bet, I believe there will be more than one winner.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

9:59 Central Time.  Channel 3.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm not gonna look at my ticket.  I'm gonna wait to hear them tell us where the winning ticket was sold.  If it turns out to be the Circle K on Bayou Blvd,  then I'll look.

2seaoat

Your theory was a stunning success!

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:Your theory was a stunning success!

Presume you're being facetious here, especially as there were two numbers and the Powerball below 31.

2seaoat

Presume you're being facetious

Who me? Bob's theory as usual forgot the most important component.....math.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum