Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone Watch the CNN Townhall on Gunz w/Obama Last Nite?

+3
TEOTWAWKI
nadalfan
Sal
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Really compelling TV.

The President answered questions from the widow of American Sniper fraud Chris Kylie and other assorted wingnutz with quiet dignity, respect, and rationality.

Of course, the NRA was too chickenshit to participate, but that's not surprising.

If you missed it, I would encourage you to find the video.

It's worth your time.

nadalfan

Salinsky wrote:Really compelling TV.

The President answered questions from the widow of American Sniper fraud Chris Kylie and other assorted wingnutz with quiet dignity, respect, and rationality.

Of course, the NRA was too chickenshit to participate, but that's not surprising.

If you missed it, I would encourage you to find the video.

It's worth your time.

Agree 100%. An adult conversation about guns and gun control....a breath of fresh air.
I'm really going to miss this president

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Anyone Watch the CNN Townhall on Gunz w/Obama Last Nite? B35daa2c1a

Vikingwoman

Chris Kyle was a fraud and it just galls me what people did for that liar. I saw where one rape victim tried to say she couldn't protect herself and her children anymore. Why are people so stupid? The President calmly told her it wouldn't change anything about that.

Salinsky wrote:Really compelling. Of course, the NRA was too chickenshit to participate, but that's not surprising.

http://www.news3lv.com/content/news/story/NRA-responds-to-Obamas-town-hall-criticism/zXW-TkP2PEyd88iTdJFrnw.cspx

Cox described that the NRA's invitation to join the town hall offered them,"one pre-screened question," and described the futility of sitting "through a lecture," to ask a single question.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/07/nra-gun-control-shootings-obama-regulations-clinton

Gun companies in fear of NRA unlikely to help Obama’s cause
Recent history suggests that the gun industry is more afraid of offending the gun lobby and the National Rifle Association than confronting the White House

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
Salinsky wrote:Really compelling. Of course, the NRA was too chickenshit to participate, but that's not surprising.

http://www.news3lv.com/content/news/story/NRA-responds-to-Obamas-town-hall-criticism/zXW-TkP2PEyd88iTdJFrnw.cspx

Cox described that the NRA's invitation to join the town hall offered them,"one pre-screened question," and described the futility of sitting "through a lecture," to ask a single question.

Yes, they are pathological liars ...

... but, we already knew that.

Sal

Sal

Also too ....

THE epidemic of gun violence in our country is a crisis. Gun deaths and injuries constitute one of the greatest threats to public health and to the safety of the American people. Every year, more than 30,000 Americans have their lives cut short by guns. Suicides. Domestic violence. Gang shootouts. Accidents. Hundreds of thousands of Americans have lost brothers and sisters, or buried their own children. We’re the only advanced nation on earth that sees this kind of mass violence with this frequency.

A national crisis like this demands a national response. Reducing gun violence will be hard. It’s clear that common-sense gun reform won’t happen during this Congress. It won’t happen during my presidency. Still, there are steps we can take now to save lives. And all of us — at every level of government, in the private sector and as citizens — have to do our part.

We all have a responsibility.

On Tuesday, I announced new steps I am taking within my legal authority to protect the American people and keep guns out of the hands of criminals and dangerous people. They include making sure that anybody engaged in the business of selling firearms conducts background checks, expanding access to mental health treatment and improving gun safety technology. These actions won’t prevent every act of violence, or save every life — but if even one life is spared, they will be well worth the effort.

Even as I continue to take every action possible as president, I will also take every action I can as a citizen. I will not campaign for, vote for or support any candidate, even in my own party, who does not support common-sense gun reform. And if the 90 percent of Americans who do support common-sense gun reforms join me, we will elect the leadership we deserve.

All of us have a role to play — including gun owners. We need the vast majority of responsible gun owners who grieve with us after every mass shooting, who support common-sense gun safety and who feel that their views are not being properly represented, to stand with us and demand that leaders heed the voices of the people they are supposed to represent.

The gun industry also needs to do its part. And that starts with manufacturers.

As Americans, we hold consumer goods to high standards to keep our families and communities safe. Cars have to meet safety and emissions requirements. Food has to be clean and safe. We will not end the cycle of gun violence until we demand that the gun industry take simple actions to make its products safer as well. If a child can’t open a bottle of aspirin, we should also make sure she can’t pull the trigger of a gun.

Yet today, the gun industry is almost entirely unaccountable. Thanks to the gun lobby’s decades of efforts, Congress has blocked our consumer products safety experts from being able to require that firearms have even the most basic safety measures. They’ve made it harder for the government’s public health experts to conduct research on gun violence. They’ve guaranteed that manufacturers enjoy virtual immunity from lawsuits, which means that they can sell lethal products and rarely face consequences. As parents, we wouldn’t put up with this if we were talking about faulty car seats. Why should we tolerate it for products — guns — that kill so many children each year?

At a time when manufacturers are enjoying soaring profits, they should invest in research to make guns smarter and safer, like developing microstamping for ammunition, which can help trace bullets found at crime scenes to specific guns. And like all industries, gun manufacturers owe it to their customers to be better corporate citizens by selling weapons only to responsible actors.

Ultimately, this is about all of us. We are not asked to perform the heroism of 15-year-old Zaevion Dobson from Tennessee, who was killed before Christmas while shielding his friends from gunfire. We are not asked to display the grace of the countless victims’ families who have dedicated themselves to ending this senseless violence. But we must find the courage and the will to mobilize, organize and do what a strong, sensible country does in response to a crisis like this one.

All of us need to demand leaders brave enough to stand up to the gun lobby’s lies. All of us need to stand up and protect our fellow citizens. All of us need to demand that governors, mayors and our representatives in Congress do their part.

Change will be hard. It won’t happen overnight. But securing a woman’s right to vote didn’t happen overnight. The liberation of African-Americans didn’t happen overnight. Advancing the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans has taken decades’ worth of work.

Those moments represent American democracy, and the American people, at our best. Meeting this crisis of gun violence will require the same relentless focus, over many years, at every level. If we can meet this moment with that same audacity, we will achieve the change we seek. And we will leave a stronger, safer country to our children.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/08/opinion/president-barack-obama-guns-are-our-shared-responsibility.html?_r=0

2seaoat

The NRA is incredibly short sighted.  We are talking about solar and renewable energy and the changing technology on other threads.  The NRA can make so much more money for its industry by working to incorporate smart technology in the manufacturing of guns.   Like the Auto industry which just fought tooth and nail safety in Automobiles, they ended up taking that ball and using safety to sell autos.  My father was a stickler on gun safety.  My brother was hyper active and the type of kid which had to be separated from our guns......it was hard.   However, gun owners want safety for their family.  We have some people here who have lost loved ones to suicide.  Guns often just make that combination of depression and access too convenient.  Yes, anybody can find a way to end their life, but as a gun owner, I want my guns safe and secure where others cannot get hurt, and if I am looking at my shotgun pointed at my head as I awake from a deep sleep, I would prefer it could not operate for the perp.

We need to have these dialogues.  Ok, this town hall did not work as far as the NRA is concerned, but lets do more.  As Bernie says, lets quit talking over each other about guns and work to find agreements.  My personal belief is that the gun industry per unit sold could double and triple their profits by allowing the free enterprise system to come up with better smart safety systems with guns.   I want to be in control of my guns.....there is a win win solution.

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

Yes, they are pathological liars ...

... but, we already knew that.

You must have changed the subject to the Clinton's. Why?

Markle

Markle

Pure stage event and even with that, semi-retired President Obama definitely got pretty chippy with Anderson Cooper for asking follow up questions.

Sal

Sal

If this was a "pure stage event" why did wingnut icons such as Tara Kylie and Arizona Sheriff Paul Babeu participate, Ol' Man Markle?

No, this was an event that was organized and produced by CNN, not the White House.

And, I know it pains you, but what you saw was an incredibly courageous President willing to take on all comers and stand by his convictions.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Salinsky wrote:If this was a "pure stage event" why did wingnut icons such as Tara Kylie and Arizona Sheriff Paul Babeu participate, Ol' Man Markle?

No, this was an event that was organized and produced by CNN, not the White House.

And, I know it pains you, but what you saw was an incredibly courageous President willing to take on all comers and stand by his convictions.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Markle

Markle

Vikingwoman wrote:Chris Kyle was a fraud and it just galls me what people did for that liar. I saw where one rape victim tried to say she couldn't protect herself and her children anymore. Why are people so stupid? The President calmly told her it wouldn't change anything about that.

That is just sick.

Taya Kyle was 100% correct when she said that this was only providing a false sense of security.

2seaoat

Taya Kyle was 100% correct when she said that this was only providing a false sense of security.

Just like an air bag and a seat belt can give a false sense of security when you hit a concrete wall at 100 mph, but the rest of the time there is a good chance it will improve your safety.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum