Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marco Would Like to Change the Constitution Please

+3
2seaoat
gatorfan
Sal
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

He really is a lightweight idiot ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/01/06/marco-rubio-constitutional-convention-editorials-debates/78368672/

gatorfan

Yea, these are terrible ideas, right?

" The amendment process must be approached with caution, which is why I believe the agenda should be limited to ideas that reduce the size and scope of the federal government, such as imposing term limits on Congress and the Supreme Court and forcing fiscal responsibility through a balanced budget requirement. Limiting the agenda will prevent the convention from being overtaken by special interests."

Sal

Sal

The only one of those ideas that isn't completely stupid and destructive is the SCOTUS proposal.

The other two ideas (not to mention the idea of holding a convention in the first place) are boneheaded to the core.

gatorfan

Salinsky wrote:The only one of those ideas that isn't completely stupid and destructive is the SCOTUS proposal.

The other two ideas (not to mention the idea of holding a convention in the first place) are boneheaded to the core.

Why?

Sal

Sal

Because term limits in Congress would create novice lawmakers even more beholden to lobbyists and career staffers, and a balance budget amendment would tie the hands of government if the nation is attacked or suffers another catastrophic economic downturn.

Why would you want a dumber and even more hamstrung Congress?

There are good reasons for people snickering at Marco.

gatorfan

Salinsky wrote:Because term limits in Congress would create novice lawmakers even more beholden to lobbyists and career staffers, and a balance budget amendment would tie the hands of government if the nation is attacked or suffers another catastrophic economic downturn.

Why would you want a dumber and even more hamstrung Congress?

There are good reasons for people snickering at Marco.

I don't think it's possible to have a Congress that could be more "dumb" or hamstrung than this one. Term limits could have some problems but those should be addressed in a reasonable manner, perhaps a 4 or 6 term limit - not lifetime politicians - those people lose sight of what ordinary people think. And need.

A balanced budget could include an emergency fund or escape hatch for certain situations but as we all know Congress is unable to restrain themselves from spending every penny in sight and even more that don't exist. That's a real problem.

There are no easy or perfect answers but it would be nice if our elected ones would at least make an effort to address real issues.

2seaoat

those people lose sight of what ordinary people think. And need.

I agree, but we have term limits. They are called elections which allow us to turn the bastards out. What we need is campaign finance reform which allows the game to be rigged for the incumbent and the special interests who funnel money to keep these professional shills working for them and not ordinary people who you are correct are getting the shaft in this current mess.

Rubio is a bright guy, but his attempts at policy are superficial and pandering. He knows fully well that a constitutional amendment on this subject has as much chance of happening as the LA Lakers winning a NBA championship this year. Pure political pandering. We need serious folks who have realistic visions of how Americans can be served, and not special interests.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:those people lose sight of what ordinary people think. And need.

I agree, but we have term limits.  They are called elections which allow us to turn the bastards out.  What we need is campaign finance reform which allows the game to be rigged for the incumbent and the special interests who funnel money to keep these professional shills working for them and not ordinary people who you are correct are getting the shaft in this current mess.

Rubio is a bright guy, but his attempts at policy are superficial and pandering.  He knows fully well that a constitutional amendment on this subject has as much chance of happening as the LA Lakers winning a NBA championship this year.  Pure political pandering.   We need serious folks who have realistic visions of how Americans can be served, and not special interests.

Fact is every single person campaigning right now is a pandering and superficial shill. Sad but true.

Campaign finance reform is the holy grail. Until every single voter in this country starts demanding action on reform it will never happen. That translates to it will never happen because the majority of voters are complacent.

Complacency is also what keeps the same clowns in office term after term regardless of their "accomplishments".

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

gatorfan wrote:Yea, these are terrible ideas, right?

" The amendment process must be approached with caution, which is why I believe the agenda should be limited to ideas that reduce the size and scope of the federal government, such as imposing term limits on Congress and the Supreme Court and forcing fiscal responsibility through a balanced budget requirement. Limiting the agenda will prevent the convention from being overtaken by special interests."

I think a balanced budget amendment would be a great idea.

Term limits for SCOTUS (or any) appointees would be good. I don't agree with term limits for elected positions though.

But in any case, it's just pie-in-the-sky thinking ... we couldn't pull it off as a nation nowadays.

Sal

Sal

[quote="2seaoat"]
Rubio is a bright guy, [quote]

Can you imagine what a constitutional convention would look like in today's political landscape?

No one can.

There's a very good reason that there hasn't been one since the original in 1787.

And, when you add to the mix proposals which are flat out horrible ...

... well, let's just say your assertion copied above is not bolstered.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

gatorfan wrote:
Fact is every single person campaigning right now is a pandering and superficial shill. Sad but true.

I think Bernie's mostly sincere ... I just don't agree with him on too many things.

2seaoat

Complacency is also what keeps the same clowns in office term after term regardless of their "accomplishments".

Totally agree. I hope we can spend more time on campaign funding, but you are right........it probably will require a constitutional amendment, and that would be equally difficult in our current state of complacency.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

gatorfan wrote: ...

Campaign finance reform is the holy grail. Until every single voter in this country starts demanding action on reform it will never happen. That translates to it will never happen because the majority of voters are complacent.

I think the advent of the internet & mass communication has rendered the issue of campaign finance reform moot.

How much has Trump spent thus far vs how much has Jeb! spent?

2seaoat

My problem with a balanced budget Amendment is like when I see people try to diet. They look for all these gimmicks and easy answers and do not take responsibility of common sense nutrition which necessarily requires self moderation and limits. These ideas of locking into some gimmick when national defense is involved is really a question of electing serious candidates who realize fiscal conservative is not a dirty word and balanced budgets are common sense. A budget is life priorities for an individual and a country which cannot be arbitrarily solved by a gimmick.

Sal

Sal

A balanced budget amendment is simply dangerous economic demagoguery completely divorced from reality.

Nothing more and nothing less.

dumpcare

Since the constitution was ratified in 1788 and it is now 2016 don't you think it should be updated to reflect the times?

Sal

Sal

Sure.

But, do it using the usual method - a two-thirds vote in Congress and ratification by three-quarters of the states.

A constitutional convention is a really dumb idea.

2seaoat

I think that our founding fathers were wise. They intended the constitution could be amended, but in their wisdom did not allow that process to an easy legislative procedure. I look at constitutional amendments as a last resort in our system. I even think the Citizens case can be cured without the need for amendment, but it takes hard work and teamwork to make this country great again, and gimmicks are not the answer, but they do appeal to people who want easy answers and do not understand the danger of willy nilly abuse of the amendment process, and that is why our founding fathers made it so hard. I am however getting that feeling that the creek may run shallow in regard to Rubio.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Rubio is talking shit. He will favor a balanced budget so long as it decimates programs Democrats love, but keeps intact ones the GOP favors (huge defense spending, favors to corporations, big pharm, big medicine, and big agriculture).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Rubio is talking shit. He will favor a balanced budget so long as it decimates programs Democrats love, but keeps intact ones the GOP favors (huge defense spending, favors to corporations, big pharm, big medicine, and big agriculture).

It's just campaign talk .... I doubt Next President Rubio believes it could actually happen.

Sal

Sal

Marco Would Like to Change the Constitution Please Fathers_sm

Hahahahahahahahaha ....

2seaoat

I am starting to get your lightweight comment. On Morning Joe Christy said he was soft and had been given his political career and he has never had to earn anything and has NO experience getting things done. Typical politics, but Rubio's response was to say that Chris was not a conservative. So like a rookie he fell into the trap, and Chris releases commercial to a song and Rubio's quote that Chris is the conservative New Jersey needs.....I mean they had the morning Joe crowd just laughing at Rubio like he was a Rube.......after watching what they did to him this morning......this guy is done. They are going to make him into a no nothing kid.....and that is before Trump starts his nonsense.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I agree.  The notion of spending only the amount of money you take in is childish,  ignorant,  and the dumbest thing anyone ever heard of.

2seaoat

I agree. The notion of spending only the amount of money you take in is childish, ignorant, and the dumbest thing anyone ever heard of.

Bob,
Do you need a little gimmick gadget which is powered by three C batteries connected to your testicles so that every time you spend more than your sales tax rule you get shocked. Or do you think with common sense you can make those decisions without frying your gonads?

Why do you think America needs a gimmick with a balance budget when in a time of war and other emergencies flexibility is critical? Why do you want a gimmick to zap your gonads because you got a grant and loan for Pensacola to make exterior changes on your house and that debt exceeded your monthly budget which required you to go to savings for two years.......fry those gonads.....

How about electing people who do their jobs and if they do not, turn the bastards out.......how are those blue pills working for you, or do you like them in combination with the zap......damn.....no wonder you have a surplus.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum