Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why can't we reduce our military spending

+4
boards of FL
Hospital Bob
gatorfan
2seaoat
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

If the irrational fear which requires military response to an operation in Paris which some have said cost less than 10k to pull off, who do you think has won the battle. President Obama has attempted to restrain this nation from more stupidity. 75% of Americans do NOT want further engagement in the Middle East. Yet, the tracking of known terrorist has doubled, yet we spend resources on bombs and weapon systems when in this battle increasingly our intelligence capabilities should be expanded and our military spending cut. It is time to quit being scardy cats. Like lightening striking, there are known risks with terrorism. It will never be brought to zero. However, the idea that the military can stop lightening or terrorism is absurd. Yes, precise military strikes have a purpose......11 carrier groups in these times only insure that the use of the military tools will once again bankrupt this nation. It simply is time to cut the military budget.

2seaoat

Why do Republicans sell fear? Because they are accepting contributions from the MIC and they propagate fear to profit. The choices are clear a year from now. Our country has been bankrupted by tax cuts and foreign adventures that kill innocents and grow the problem of terrorism.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:Why do Republicans sell fear?   Because they are accepting contributions from the MIC and they propagate fear to profit.   The choices are clear a year from now.  Our country has been bankrupted by tax cuts and foreign adventures that kill innocents and grow the problem of terrorism.  

I guess you didn't get the memo. Democrats in the Senate killed the defense bill in Sept because they wanted to INCREASE defense and non-defense spending.

"Democrats have repeatedly called on Republicans to sit down and negotiate a deal on a larger budget that rolls back the congressionally mandated spending caps."

You also realize the Commander-in-Chief is the one responsible for prioritizing military activity, do you not? He happens to be a liberal, like you but keeps digging in deeper in the M/E.

Military spending could be downsized but you apparently don't understand why 11 carriers are needed because you don't understand the limitations of maintaining ships and aircraft squadrons at sea vs administration mandated commitments. There must be time for repairs, systems upgrades, crew training and even a little crew rest. There are NEVER 11 carriers available at one time.

If I were King for Day I would immediately toss the F-35 and new bomber boondoggles for the Air Force, the Army's latest "new pistol" fiasco, the Navy's Littoral Combat Ship, and some of the more ridiculous "cutting edge" weapons research.

If you were honest about military spending you would agree both Dem's and Rep's have a vested interest in spending - particularly when they divvy up systems so their districts get money which BTW, equals jobs.

Remember when the military wanted to close more bases, cut the 2nd engine design for the F-35, and cut the A-10 CAS aircraft system? Congress said no. Of course you don't remember because in your world the military and Rep's are the only ones who control military spending.

We should profit from this situation as our only involvement.

Sell them ALL weapons... but only defensive countries the good stuff.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

gatorfan wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Why do Republicans sell fear?   Because they are accepting contributions from the MIC and they propagate fear to profit.   The choices are clear a year from now.  Our country has been bankrupted by tax cuts and foreign adventures that kill innocents and grow the problem of terrorism.  

I guess you didn't get the memo. Democrats in the Senate killed the defense bill in Sept because they wanted to INCREASE defense and non-defense spending.

"Democrats have repeatedly called on Republicans to sit down and negotiate a deal on a larger budget that rolls back the congressionally mandated spending caps."

You also realize the Commander-in-Chief is the one responsible for prioritizing military activity, do you not? He happens to be a liberal, like you but keeps digging in deeper in the M/E.

Military spending could be downsized but you apparently don't understand why 11 carriers are needed because you don't understand the limitations of maintaining ships and aircraft squadrons at sea vs administration mandated commitments. There must be time for repairs, systems upgrades, crew training and even a little crew rest. There are NEVER 11 carriers available at one time.

If I were King for Day I would immediately toss the F-35 and new bomber boondoggles for the Air Force, the Army's latest "new pistol" fiasco, the Navy's Littoral Combat Ship, and some of the more ridiculous "cutting edge" weapons research.

If you were honest about military spending you would agree both Dem's and Rep's have a vested interest in spending - particularly when they divvy up systems so their districts get money which BTW, equals jobs.

Remember when the military wanted to close more bases, cut the 2nd engine design for the F-35, and cut the A-10 CAS aircraft system? Congress said no. Of course you don't remember because in your world the military and Rep's are the only ones who control military spending.

More than anything I would like to see seaoat attempt to give a rebuttal to this post.  lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:

You're citing a procedural vote here rather than the actual bill that was passed.  The ultimate bill that was passed prevented another government shutdown - which was being threatened in the name of Planned Parenthood - and funded defense for the remainder of Obama's term.  When you say "democrats wanted to increase defense and non-defense spending", you're leaving out a key phrase there.  They wanted to increase those spending levels over the levels that were mandated by way of sequestration.  Imagine if there were some asinine bill passed that said defense spending would fall to $1 unless Ted Cruz says something reasonably intelligent.  I think in that context, everyone would agree that increased defense spending would be needed.  That is, increased defense spending over a $1 budget that is constrained by Cruz's inability to say something intelligent.  Context, gatorfan.  Context.  You're taking a procedural vote - that you don't even appear to understand - and you're using that to create a false narrative that states it is really democrats - not republicans - who are the pro-military spending wing of government.  You're either being intentionally deceptive or you haven't a clue as to what you're talking about.  

Why don't we look at the actual bill that was passed rather than at commentary on a procedural vote?  Wouldn't that have more meat?  The final bill that passed stripped $5 billion from amount the House and Senate Armed Service Committee had been lobbying for.  It is republicans - not democrats - who are upset about that.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/10/27/budget-deal-defense/74678048/

From the article:

Several members of the House and Senate Armed Services Committees indicated that they would support the measure, even though the $607 billion in fiscal 2016 defense spending falls about $50 billion short of the mark they've been lobbying for all year.

Earlier this month, 102 House Republicans sent a letter to chamber leaders calling for a federal budget that "fully funds defense" at a $612 billion total. Rep. Mike Turner, R-Ohio, who helped organize that effort, on Monday indicated that he would back the new deal, despite the shortfall.

gatorfan wrote:You also realize the Commander-in-Chief is the one responsible for prioritizing military activity, do you not? He happens to be a liberal, like you but keeps digging in deeper in the M/E.

In what sense is Obama "digging us deeper in the ME"?  As far as I can tell, when Obama took office we were engaged in two full scale occupations in the ME, and our presence since then has been significantly scaled back.  This is the exact opposite of "digging us in deeper in the ME."   Here again, you're asserting a narrative that isn't based on facts or reality.

gatorfan wrote:Military spending could be downsized but you apparently don't understand why 11 carriers are needed because you don't understand the limitations of maintaining ships and aircraft squadrons at sea vs administration mandated commitments. There must be time for repairs, systems upgrades, crew training and even a little crew rest. There are NEVER 11 carriers available at one time.

I can't speak for 2seaoat, though I can tell you that this is a strawman.  You're argument assumes that 11 carriers are needed, and any objection to that must therefore be rooted in a misunderstanding of of how the military operates.  2seaoat didn't say anything that would indicate that...unless of course you begin with the assumption that 11 carriers are either less than or equal to a practical number of needed carriers.  On the other hand, if you view that as excessive...

We can't explain this lopsided investment in defense by simply saying "Well, you don't understand how the military cycles this and that..."  If someone suggests that maybe, just maybe, we don't need to have a naval presence that is nearly equal to the rest of the world's combined, we can't necessarily jump straight to the idea that their viewpoint is rooted in ignorance, which is what you're suggesting.

Why can't we reduce our military spending 1307473767392

gatorfan wrote:If you were honest about military spending you would agree both Dem's and Rep's have a vested interest in spending - particularly when they divvy up systems so their districts get money which BTW, equals jobs. 

And here we arrive at the preferred argument from fence-sitting toasters.  "Both sides are to blame."  Yes, of course.  Though one is clearly more to blame than the other, and that is the point.  One is the lesser of two evils within the context of defense spending and military adventurism. It's like someone who was just diagnosed with cancer after having smoked two packs a day for 50 years while also eating one slice of bacon a week ago, and then saying "Well, both my smoking and that strip of bacon are to blame."  Well, technically, yes.  Though they're certainly not equal.  The "both sides are to blame" line only serves to spread the blame from one side to the other and paint a narrative as if both are equal when, in reality, they are not.

Markle

Markle

I do love the impeccable timing of my far left Progressive friends on this forum.  Even they know this is not safe or realistic at this time.  These Progressives know the same thing, they just wish to detract from all the horrific news about this failed administration.

Why can't we reduce our military spending Paris-11-2015_zpsqvcyossa

WHY, do my Progressive good friends DEMAND THIS FOR AMERICA?

Moreover, WHY does semi-retired PRESIDENT OBAMA DEMAND THIS FOR AMERICA.

Oh...that's right, President Obama TOLD US that if things got bad for Muslims, he would stand with THEM. Not us.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:I do love the impeccable timing of my far left Progressive friends on this forum.  Even they know this is not safe or realistic at this time.  These Progressives know the same thing, they just wish to detract from all the horrific news about this failed administration.

Oh...that's right, President Obama TOLD US that if things got bad for Muslims, he would stand with THEM.  Not us.

Markle, seriously, do yourself a favor. No need to worry about this stuff anymore. If there ever was a time when you were taken seriously, that time has long since passed. Your rocking chair is over there.

If you're not actually saying anything, why post?

Why can't we reduce our military spending Bonbon-dbfbe36b2ab7e3e46f8bdbc19fcc3ada

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I really enjoyed hearing pseudo military strategists tell us how it should be.  Perhaps next we can heae your discussions on how to improve the performance of Cardiovascular surgery.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:I really enjoyed  hearing pseudo military strategists tell us how it should be.  Perhaps next we can heae your discussions on how to improve the performance of Cardiovascular surgery.

One doesn't need to be a cardiovascular surgeon to know where the heart is located. Likewise, one doesn't need to be a decorated member of the military to look at this graphic - or our defense budget - and conclude that perhaps we're overdoing it a bit.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I really enjoyed  hearing pseudo military strategists tell us how it should be.  Perhaps next we can heae your discussions on how to improve the performance of Cardiovascular surgery.

One doesn't need to be a cardiovascular surgeon to know where the heart is located.  Likewise, one doesn't need to be a decorated member of the military to look at this graphic - or our defense budget - and conclude that perhaps we're overdoing it a bit.

Location of the heart is elementary ....the functions, intricacies, and the ability to return it to a functioning organ is not for the amateur sitting at his desk typing.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

One doesn't need to be a cardiovascular surgeon to know where the heart is located.  Likewise, one doesn't need to be a decorated member of the military to look at this graphic - or our defense budget - and conclude that perhaps we're overdoing it a bit.

Location of the heart is elementary ....the functions, intricacies, and the ability to return it to a functioning organ is not for the amateur sitting at his desk typing.

Yes. Elementary, just like the level of military discussion in this thread.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

2seaoat

Bob,

I will answer gator's post.......oh Boards nailed it. We could cut our military in half in every phase and it would insure only one thing. We would not have the capacity to export war......we would be doing the world a favor. However, gator you did give me a smile. Only a knowledgeable person would know that aircraft carriers are taken out of service when being maintained. By golly that is some brilliant logic. When we cut the carrier groups down to eight, then by golly some will be taken out of service for maintenance.......brilliant.

In regard to Mr. Markle. Try as hard as you can in your increasingly foggy posts to connect a terrorist attack to military spending, but you will fail. Criminal acts will happen next week, and ten years from now and this idea that we need a military response is laughable. We need improved intelligence, we need better strategies for aggressively locating and neutralizing terrorist cells, but this idea that there is a locus or site where our military will destroy an idea is the same failed logic which allowed the wrongful invasion of Iraq in the first place and the futility of the Afghanastan excursion where suddenly native tribes and the Taliban became painted with the terrorist brush when we were invading their country and they had done nothing to America prior to our invasion. The nexus of dead bodies in a concert hall and cuts in American military spending require advanced dementia. You keep reminding us that the quality of all our posts will decline as we age and our brains quit functioning as they once did.

2seaoat

Our founding fathers did not want America to have a standing Army. They realized throughout history what this means. If freedom and liberty are our cherished goals, and if pursuant to our founding father's dreams civilians would run this great Republic, it follows that civilians make policy decisions. It does not take a military person to figure that our military budget is grotesque compared to military risks in this world. The attempts by the special interests and war profiteering corporations to manipulate the discussion through propaganda that somehow correlates criminal terrorist action with nation states which require a military response of war is fundamentally flawed. Any logical and caring American understands that this nation has been hijacked. Revenues were slashed with money being given back to the top 1% of Americans by tax refunds and subsidy, and at the same time we continue to pour trillions down the rabbit hole in military spending in the Middle East. If anybody does not see the correlation with profits and the motivation for war, they are being foolish. We need to drastically cut our defense budget and grow our GDP, because in the end it is the strength of our economy which protects us and allows us to support the necessary military expenditures.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:I do love the impeccable timing of my far left Progressive friends on this forum.  Even they know this is not safe or realistic at this time.  These Progressives know the same thing, they just wish to detract from all the horrific news about this failed administration.

Oh...that's right, President Obama TOLD US that if things got bad for Muslims, he would stand with THEM.  Not us.

Markle, seriously, do yourself a favor.  No need to worry about this stuff anymore.  If there ever was a time when you were taken seriously, that time has long since passed.  Your rocking chair is over there.

If you're not actually saying anything, why post?

Why can't we reduce our military spending Bonbon-dbfbe36b2ab7e3e46f8bdbc19fcc3ada

Once again it is BoardsofFL who adds nothing.

Any sensible person would think that after the massive violence and chaos semi-retired President Obama created by leaving a vacuum in the Middle East, my Progressive good friends would be able to extrapolate that to the rest of the world. Obviously, that is beyond their capacity. My sympathies to them and their loved ones.

Russian airliner downed by small ISIS bomb.

Why can't we reduce our military spending Russian-airline-615x344_zpstfifda1k

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:WHY, do my Progressive good friends DEMAND THIS FOR AMERICA?

Why can't we reduce our military spending Giphy

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:Once again it is BoardsofFL who adds nothing.

Any sensible person would think that after the massive violence and chaos semi-retired President Obama created by leaving a vacuum in the Middle East, my Progressive good friends would be able to extrapolate that to the rest of the world.  Obviously, that is beyond their capacity.  My sympathies to them and their loved ones.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Markle wrote:WHY, do my Progressive good friends DEMAND THIS FOR AMERICA?

Once again, you are proud to shout out that you HAVE NOTHING!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:Once again, you are proud to shout out that you HAVE NOTHING!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:.

When I first saw this I was shocked to see Russia have only one active aircraft carrier and didn't believe it.  But according to this wiki page it's true...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_by_country#Russia

2seaoat

The Russians are not exporting death. We have the ability to kill people all over the world. Our founding fathers did not want a standing army. They wanted a free nation not burdened by a military which always creates a problem for free people. We have become a militarized society which is trading freedom for security and terrorizing the world with our bombs and killing innocent civilians. As we speak, folks want to change our rules of engagement like Mr. Trump and bomb the hell out of them.......the them being anybody, and the means are 11 carrier groups which have less to do with defending America, and much more to do with an out of control MIC which Ike warned us. It is time for Patriots to take a stand and not join the stampede of frightened Americans who clamor for more killings.

gatorfan

BoF needs to stick to his little BLS charts and 2SO needs to get a clue. If those two had their way the U.S. would be a one political party country with absolutely no trade or contact with any country outside our borders eliminating the need for ANY military force to protect our International trade interests and support our many treaty partners.

It’s amazing how narrow-minded but highly opinionated two absolutely uniformed people can be. Neither has a minute of military experience but they pretend to understand force structure and requirements placed on those forces by politicians.

Their “understanding” of the military is barely Wikipedia deep.

Thanks for the laugh.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:BoF needs to stick to his little BLS charts and 2SO needs to get a clue. If those two had their way the U.S. would be a one political party country with absolutely no trade or contact with any country outside our borders eliminating the need for ANY military force to protect our International trade interests and support our many treaty partners.

It’s amazing how narrow-minded but highly opinionated two absolutely uniformed people can be. Neither has a minute of military experience but they pretend to understand force structure and requirements placed on those forces by politicians.

Their “understanding” of the military is barely Wikipedia deep.

Thanks for the laugh.

So you don't have anything to say in response to my post then?  I responded to you point by point, and now your only response is to essentially ignore everything I just said and instead attack a strawman?  Now you're implying that I'm an isolationist (I'm not), though I never said anything that would even remotely suggest that.

Last chance for gatorfan.  I directly responded to your comments on the budget deal, I directly responded to your comments on the 11 air craft carriers, and I directly responded to your "both sides are to blame" point of view.  Have you anything to say in response or can we conclude that you concede that what I said is accurate?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

bds,

You have something in common with Donald Trump.  Neither of you can stand to have anyone disagree with anything you say.  And anytime someone does,  you both seem to have a need to shout the person down.  lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:bds,

You have something in common with Donald Trump.  Neither of you can stand to have anyone disagree with anything you say.  And anytime someone does,  you both seem to have a need to shout the person down.  lol

I actually enjoy discussing issues with people who disagree with me because it presents a learning opportunity.  That's what I'm trying to do here with gatorfan, though it appears that he's tapped out.  I corrected him on his narrative about the defense bill...no response.   I pointed out the strawman with respect to the 11 carriers....he responds with yet another strawman (I am now an isolationist, apparently).  I responded to his "both sides are to blame" point of view...no response.  Just a strawman and "you weren't in the military so you can't speak to the size of our navy" BS.  I can only guess that this is his way of bowing out.  Perhaps he will eventually be able to muster a response that will move the discussion forward, though he hasn't yet.  

And I have no idea how you can conclude that I'm shouting someone down.  He produced a post that you said you would like to see rebutted.  I rebutted it and now he has no response.  And your response, after I did exactly what you said you wanted to see is to somehow compare me to Donald Trump and say that I'm shouting?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum