Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How old is too old to drive?

+2
Hospital Bob
gulfbeachbandit
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How old is too old to drive? Empty How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 9:45 am

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/15/13878589-83-year-old-held-over-hit-and-run-crash-that-killed-boy-6

Is it worth an innocent childs live for an elderly person to get behind the wheel?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Just curious, ghandi, how old are you?

Nekochan

Nekochan

This is a touchy but important subject. I don't think there should be an age limit but eyes go bad and reflexes slow with age. Many older people don't want to give up driving and it's an issue that many middle aged people are struggling with concerning their elderly parents.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:Just curious, ghandi, how old are you?

Ask Dreams!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

It varies with the person. Some teenagers shouldn't be allowed to drive. Some posters here should be tested every three years. Just saying that at a certain age they shouldn't be allowed to drive is a violation of their rights. Testing their ability after a certain age might be a better way ..Anyone can have a medical condition or use drugs that should keep them off the road.

6How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 10:00 am

I also do not believe that there should be an age limit on driving for the elderly. I believe it is dependent upon the person themselves and the state of their health. My dad passed away at the age of 92 and was driving until the year before his death and my mom was 89 when she passed and drove until she passed. Both were mentally healthy. Had I noticed any changes in their mental capacity, I would have been the first to take away they car keys.

7How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 10:21 am

Damn good question. I have held a CDL from the start of the program. Professional license used to be called "Chauffeurs license" I obtained that one when I was 18 years old. I have driven many many a mile, over a Million, maybe more. But now I am having issues with my sight. If they do not continue to improve, I will surrender my license.
I can assure you, it is not a easy choice...................But neither would be thought of causing injury to someone.............

8How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 10:25 am

Sal

Sal

Wait ...

weren't Obummer's death panels designed to take care of problems like this one?

scratch

9How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 10:26 am

salinsky wrote:Wait ...

weren't Obummer's death panels designed to take care of problems like this one?

scratch
Do I need to look for a card in the mail?

10How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 10:56 am

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Bob wrote:Just curious, ghandi, how old are you?

Under 50.

11How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 11:08 am

My mom is 83, has very poor vision, has suffered a stroke, but continues to drive. Because we expressed concern about her abilities, her license was suspended for 6 months after the stroke. She had to go to driving rehab, where she got a very thorough neurological exam, had to pass the written test, pass the road test, and write a sentence to demonstrate that she could express a complete thought. She was told to drive only during daylight hours, no interstate driving, drive only to familiar places, and to complete a driving class for senior citizens. As time passes, she finds more and more "familiar" places, she sometimes gets home after dark during the fall and winter, and she has refused to take the senior driving course. She has been involved in one accident that was the other driver's fault. She has been such a bad driver for so many years that nobody will ride with her, not since the late 80's. Noboby has taken her keys yet, but I have sent in a form to DMV. She will probably disown me if the state actually investigates my concerns.

There are an awful lot of people on the road who should not be driving. When I look for my former students at the Clerk of Courts site, I see that most of them have recurring charges for driving with no license. My guess is that they could not read well enough to pass the written exam. Some of them had zero impulse control, which is a recipe for disaster. When I look at the records of my husband's nephew or a particular neighbor, I see DUIs, driving with license suspended or revoked, speeding, all listed as first offenses even though there are multiple charges for each type of offense.

If you could remove from the road every driver who does not have a valid license, traffic would probably decrease considerably. We wouldn't be any safer on the road, though, because there are all those idiots who think they are good drivers because they have never had a wreck. They should give all that credit to those of us who are quick enough to move out of their way!

12How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 11:19 am

I think when a certain age is reached a motor skills test should be given more often testing for alertness and reaction.. And Anytime an elderly person has an incident they should be retested..
I also think distracted driving..Texting.. Cellphones.. and just not paying attention to the roads should be treated as harsh as a D.U.I...
This "It was an accident" just doesn't cut it with me..

13How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 11:25 am

Lurch, I agree about testing motor skills and reaction times. Even though my mom was technically not at fault in the accident she had, a driver with better reflexes might have been able to move. A driver with decent peripheral vision or one who checks their mirrors frequently might have seen the other driver change lanes. My mom had no clue what happened and then she couldn't even use her cell phone to call 911. She forgot how to use the damn thing.

14How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 11:30 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It may be just my imagination but I think I've noticed in the last two or three years that my driving ability is not what it used to be. I'm 63.

15How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 12:19 pm

Bob wrote:It may be just my imagination but I think I've noticed in the last two or three years that my driving ability is not what it used to be. I'm 63.
How long have you had that Prius?

16How old is too old to drive? Empty Re: How old is too old to drive? 9/17/2012, 2:44 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Age is only one factor. Definitely there are people who are too old to be behind the wheel. I used to drive for some of these people...one lady who had learned her lesson by having an accident at the end of her block. Others who were medicated to the point that driving became a hazard, but of course, that's certainly not confined to the elderly. And it seems everyone these days is in such a hurry to get where they're going that all common sense goes out the window. Recently, in the rain at 9th and Airport, 4 cars turned in front of me after the light changed. Then there are the texters, which I've seen on the highway doing 80 mph while pushing buttons. Crazy!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum