Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Record 94,610,000 Americans Not in Labor Force For SOME here, they do not understand what this means.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

SOME of our Progressive good friends here want us to believe that they have no clue as to what this means.  Shameful.  Living in a world of DENIAL.

Record 94,610,000 Americans Not in Labor Force; Participation Rate Lowest in 38 Years

By Susan Jones | October 2, 2015 | 8:56 AM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - A record 94,610,000 Americans were not in the American labor force last month -- an increase of 579,000 from August -- and the labor force participation rate reached its lowest point in 38 years, with 62.4 percent of the U.S. population either holding a job or actively seeking one.

https://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/post?f=1&mode=newtopic

boards of FL

boards of FL

OK, Markle.  You obviously cling to this economic data point.  This is your chance to make your case and explain to all of us exactly why it is that you feel the Labor Force Participation rate is the end-all economic data point. You seem to be under the impression that posting the same chart again and again is a valid, substantive entry into any discussion, no matter the topic.  This is your chance to lay out why you feel that is the case.

I'll just go ahead and get this out of the way now to save you the time.  The labor force participation rate:

Record 94,610,000 Americans Not in Labor Force    For SOME here, they do not understand what this means. 20ARCpB

So there it is. This is the holy-grail of all economic data points in Markle-land.   Notice the long rising trend that lasts between the years 1963 and 2000.  Many would attribute that to cultural changes that took hold in the US during that time.  We evolved from a society in which women had a very specific roll - a homemaker - to a society in which women are empowered to gain education and work.  This is just one factor perhaps among many.  That said, Makle likely discounts conventional wisdom and instead has his own theories to explain that increase, and I suspect they're all political.

Also notice the peak in the year 2000 and the subsequent decline.  Some would say the peak was the end of the "dot com" era in which we saw massive gains in productivity in large part due to widespread adoption of computers and the internet in business.  What followed was a steady trend of automation combined with a massive aging cohort (baby boomers) that were reaching retirement age and that began to exit the workforce.  But here again, I'm sure Markle has his own theories and I'm sure they're all based in politics.

So, with that said, the floor is yours, Markle.  Let's hear it.  Tell us all why the labor force participation rate is the end-all economic data point that trumps everything from jobless claims, to GDP, to retail sales, to consumer confidence, to the employment situation.  Enlighten us as to why we see the movements that we do in this data point, which clearly are long long running trends.  

Please proceed, governor....

Markle

Markle

How is it that you cannot understand, or do you refuse to understand the fact that the fewer people who are able to work, are working is disastrous for our economy.

Fewer people who are able to work, who are not, means more people on welfare, food stamps and other tax payer paid programs.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:How is it that you cannot understand, or do you refuse to understand the fact that the fewer people who are able to work, are working is disastrous for our economy.

Fewer people who are able to work, who are not, means more people on welfare, food stamps and other tax payer paid programs.

I just explained my take on the LPR. Do you have a response? You never have in the past. Will you this time?

Markle

Markle

Some here refuse to acknowledge why those who have quit looking for a job, even though they are able and qualified, makes a difference to our economy.

Are they pretending they don't know or do they REALLY not know.

Real Unemployment Rate Formula Using Current Statistics

In September 2015, the real unemployment rate (U-6) was 10.0%, nearly double the widely-reported unemployment rate (U-3) of 5.1%.
Here's how to calculate both:

Step 1. Calculate the official unemployment rate:

U-3 = 7.915 million unemployed workers / 156.715 million in the labor force = 5.1%.

Step 2. Add in marginally attached workers: There were 1.921 million people who were marginally attached to the labor force. Add this to both the number of unemployed and the labor force.

U-5 = 9.836 million / 158.636 million = 6.2%.

Step 3. Add in part-time workers: There were 6.036 million people who were working part-time because they couldn't get full-time work, although they'd prefer it. Add them to the unemployed, they're already in the labor force.

U-6 = 15.872 million / 158.636 million = 10.0%.
(Source: BLS, Table A-15)

http://useconomy.about.com/od/suppl1/f/real_unemployment_rate.htm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum