Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Far more people killed with knives than rifles....

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/20/assault_rifle_stats_how_many_assault_rifles_are_there_in_america.html

A November 2012 Congressional Research Service report found that, as of 2009, there were approximately 310 million firearms in the United States: “114 million handguns, 110 million rifles, and 86 million shotguns.”

Statistical tie.

That's funny.  You stopped your copy-and-pasted quote one sentence too short.  Here is the very next sentence the follows what you just pasted.

However, author William J. Krouse went on to note that “data are not available on the number of ‘assault weapons’ in private possession or available for sale, but one study estimated that 1.5 million assault weapons were privately owned in 1994.”

They go on...

Add everything together, make all the necessary caveats, carry the two, and we reach the conclusion that there are somewhere around 3,750,000 AR-15-type rifles in the United States today. If there are around 310 million firearms in the USA today, that means these auto-loading assault-style rifles make up around 1 percent of the total arsenal. And keep in mind, the AR-15 is just one of the many assault weapons on the market. Overstreet estimated that more than 800,000 Ruger Mini-14 rifles—the rifle that Anders Behring Breivik used in the Oslo summer camp shootings last year—had been produced since 1974. There are other types, too. This is only the tip of the gunberg.

Did you actually read your article before copy and pasting the "110 million rifles" quote above?  

Dumb as a rock, you are.  I can almost see your thought process at play here. "Ha! I'll post this FBI report to prove that gun control doesn't work!  Wait...the highly regulated guns are the ones least likely to be used in murders.   OK.  OK.  Think.  This doesn't agree with my worldview.  OK.  Let me google 'number of assault rifles'.  OK.  Ah!  There is an article.  Nevermind reading it!  I'll just pretend it supports my bullshit beliefs so that I don't have to evolve on this issue.  Great! (posts)"

Jesus is very disappointed in you right now, TEO. Nine people were murdered mercilessly yesterday and your chief concern is not for them and their families, but for your own ability to continue to play with guns and feel like a man. What a scumbag!

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum