Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thank You, Mrs. Obama ...

+7
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
othershoe1030
gatorfan
EmeraldGhost
nadalfan
Sal
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 8:43 am

Sal

Sal

Suck a lemon, haters ....

WASHINGTON — A majority of Americans support providing schoolchildren with healthy meals that consist of more fruits and vegetables and fewer foods high in calories and sodium, according to a national poll released on Tuesday by the W. K. Kellogg Foundation.

Legislation signed in 2010 by President Obama required schools to update their nutritional standards for the first time in 15 years. The law was championed by Michelle Obama, the first lady, as part of her “Let’s Move” campaign.

According to the poll, 86 percent of Americans support the nutritional standards required by the law.

Two-thirds of Americans say the nutritional quality of food served in public school cafeterias is excellent or good, which is up from 26 percent when a similar poll was conducted in 2010, before the new standards were adopted.

And 93 percent of those surveyed believe that it is very important or somewhat important to serve nutritious foods in schools to support children’s health and capacity to learn.

“Our survey found that people in the U.S. overwhelmingly support strong nutrition standards and believe school meals are healthier and on the right track because of these standards,” said La June Montgomery Tabron, president and chief executive of the W. K. Kellogg Foundation. The foundation said it spent about $30 million each year on healthy-food initiatives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/us/most-americans-back-2010-school-nutritional-standards-poll-finds.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

2Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 9:04 am

nadalfan

Salinsky wrote:Suck a lemon, haters ....

WASHINGTON — A majority of Americans support providing schoolchildren with healthy meals that consist of more fruits and vegetables and fewer foods high in calories and sodium, according to a national poll released on Tuesday by the W. K. Kellogg Foundation.

Legislation signed in 2010 by President Obama required schools to update their nutritional standards for the first time in 15 years. The law was championed by Michelle Obama, the first lady, as part of her “Let’s Move” campaign.

According to the poll, 86 percent of Americans support the nutritional standards required by the law.

Two-thirds of Americans say the nutritional quality of food served in public school cafeterias is excellent or good, which is up from 26 percent when a similar poll was conducted in 2010, before the new standards were adopted.

And 93 percent of those surveyed believe that it is very important or somewhat important to serve nutritious foods in schools to support children’s health and capacity to learn.

“Our survey found that people in the U.S. overwhelmingly support strong nutrition standards and believe school meals are healthier and on the right track because of these standards,” said La June Montgomery Tabron, president and chief executive of the W. K. Kellogg Foundation. The foundation said it spent about $30 million each year on healthy-food initiatives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/us/most-americans-back-2010-school-nutritional-standards-poll-finds.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

It truly blows my mind that people would object to providing our kids with healthier meals. It just goes to show that politics rule over common sense and principles.

3Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 9:12 am

In our fast food drive thru world, I can only imagine the reaction of school children to green beans or a fresh veggie salad. Most likely a foreign substance that will be tossed in the trash.

I packed lunches for 12 years for my kiddos. They hated school lunch except for pizza day. Wink

4Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 9:43 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

First ladies (and men) should stay out of public controversy & agendas.

Nobody elected them to anything .... and we do not have a king & queen in this country.

5Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 9:44 am

gatorfan

Like so many federally mandated programs this one also has unintended consequences. Behold a typical Michelle Obama lunch for a high school student (mandated calorie limits)

Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Chickasha-lunch-662x385

"Chickasha Public Schools Superintendent David Cash blames new federal school lunch regulations for the school system’s calorie-restricted meals, which he said are forcing kids to go hungry, “You’ve got in some cases little kids that their only two meals are breakfast and lunch at school and they’re getting you know a grand total of 1100 calories. That’s not enough.” The Daily Caller notes that, under the Healthy, Hunger Free Kids Act, school districts that accept federal dollars for school lunches must provide meals like the one pictured above with limited amounts of fat, sugar, sodium, and calories."

6Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 9:50 am

Lofty goals are great.  Who wouldn't support healthy eating for school kids?

But, actions speak louder than words.  I believe the majority of Americans are overweight, and the numbers of obese are rising.  

7Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 10:18 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Where's the part about where you shut off the computer, tv, and cell-phones .... get 'em off the SSRI's, & tell your kids to get off their butts and go play outside?

8Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 10:23 am

nadalfan

EmeraldGhost wrote:Where's the part about where you shut off the computer, tv, and cell-phones .... get 'em off the SSRI's,  & tell your kids to get off their butts and go play outside?

http://www.letsmove.gov/get-active

9Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 10:26 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

nadalfan wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:Where's the part about where you shut off the computer, tv, and cell-phones .... get 'em off the SSRI's,  & tell your kids to get off their butts and go play outside?

How many millions of taxpayer dollars are being spent on this program?

The only "program" needed is the one I outlined in my previous post.  

We don't need to pay central planners to tell us what to feed our kids & tell them how to play.

10Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 10:39 am

Sal

Sal

So, what have we learned here? ...

The First Lady has championed an innocuous program for healthier school lunches that has proven beneficial and wildly popular.

And, haters gonna hate regardless.

Just about what I would've predicted.

11Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 10:45 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

EmeraldGhost wrote:First ladies (and men) should stay out of public controversy & agendas.  

Nobody elected them to anything .... and we do not have a king & queen in this country.

Just say "No"!

Remember that? Hmmm

12Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 11:01 am

2seaoat

I am seeing people in their 40s with obesity which requires them to ride a cart in stores.  They are killing their children with diet.  The schools must play an important role in healthy diet, but alone they will hardly make a dent.  Education is critical for Americans to understand that an obese child is being cursed to a lifetime of health issues.  All of society pays this growing health bill.  The first lady has a symbolic role in American history, and I am glad she has focused attention on the crisis in the American diet.

13Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 11:31 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

EmeraldGhost wrote:
nadalfan wrote:

How many millions of taxpayer dollars are being spent on this program?

The only "program" needed is the one I outlined in my previous post.  

We don't need to pay central planners to tell us what to feed our kids & tell them how to play.

Wise words..

14Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 1:35 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

gatorfan wrote:Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Chickasha-lunch-662x385

As a teenager, that lunch would not have even registered in my stomach. I would have had an energy crash shortly afterward and would not have been able to focus during my afternoon classes.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

15Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 3:52 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Screen14[/url

[url=https://servimg.com/view/17590589/489]Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Screen15

16Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 3:55 pm

The meals suck. I can't even eat the chicken sandwich anymore on the nasty bun which changed in the worst way when Moochelle lunches were instituted.

17Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 5:35 pm

Markle

Markle

Of course parents approve of a healthy lunch for their kids, especially when it is paid for by other tax payers.

The problem, as you know, is that the kids hate what they are being given, throw out some of it and go through the afternoon hungry.

18Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 7:13 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

The purpose of the reduced rate or free lunch program is to ensure low income kids get two meals a day. Many of these kids only eat at school....the meals provided are not being eaten. In order to limit calories the amount of food has been decreased and as far as healthy, I disagree. Luncheon meat, hot dogs, canned vegetables and condiments are full of sodium and preservatives. Of course it is a moot point if the kids are throwing it in the garbage.

Ridiculous project.

19Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 7:29 pm

2seaoat

Ridiculous project.

No this is a critical project.  It is a work in progress, and requires continuing improvements which provide children with healthy alternatives to the poison which is killing America pound by pound of poor food choices.  The program has merit and need, the quality and presentation of healthy food remains the challenge which will take concerned parents, teachers, PTAs and community health professionals.  I do not know anybody who does not want children to eat healthy in a school environment.  If parents at home choose to poison their children, that is beyond the scope of government.  However, a school breakfast and lunch should be healthy and nutritional.

20Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 7:53 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:First ladies (and men) should stay out of public controversy & agendas.  

And helping school kids get and eat more nutritious lunches is controversial?

You southern republicans just can't resist taking cheap shots, right?

21Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 8:40 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

othershoe1030 wrote:

Just say "No"!

Remember that? Hmmm

I do!   Ms Reagan should have stuck to ribbon cutting ceremonies too. Nobody elected her to anything either.

IMO, the Presidency should be more of an executive/CEO type role, running the business of the executive branch of government ...... not a "moralizer" to preach to the populace.

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 8/19/2015, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

22Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 8:42 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

I don't think public schools should provide meals at all. Maybe some refrigerated storage for sack lunches, but that's about it.

23Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 8:45 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wordslinger wrote:

And helping school kids get and eat more nutritious lunches is controversial?  

You southern republicans just can't resist taking cheap shots, right?

And is that what the program is doing? Keep those liberal eyes shut tight.

24Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 9:14 pm

2seaoat wrote:Ridiculous project.

No this is a critical project.  It is a work in progress, and requires continuing improvements which provide children with healthy alternatives to the poison which is killing America pound by pound of poor food choices.  The program has merit and need, the quality and presentation of healthy food remains the challenge which will take concerned parents, teachers, PTAs and community health professionals.  I do not know anybody who does not want children to eat healthy in a school environment.  If parents at home choose to poison their children, that is beyond the scope of government.  However, a school breakfast and lunch should be healthy and nutritional.

Like Joani said, how is it helping anyone if the kids aren't eating it? A lack of caloric intake due to the piss poor taste of the food is worse than the side effects of eating something MOOCHELLE doesn't approve of and I guarantee you her kids ain't eating it.

25Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... Empty Re: Thank You, Mrs. Obama ... 8/19/2015, 9:14 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I remember my freshman year of HS, my lunch money was spent at the student store for a bag of popcorn, an Hostess apple pie, a Baby Ruth, and a coke. My Sophomore year, I started out the same way for a month or two, then decided this was not healthy food, so I migrated to the a la carte line, where you could purchase a sandwich (usually alternating between tuna, a hamburger, or a hotdog on a bun), some chips, a juice drink, and a chocolate chip or oatmeal cookie. I ate that way for the rest of high school.

My health would have suffered if all I was offered for lunch was a few slices of lunchmeat, a slice of cheese, a small handful of crackers and two small heads of raw cauliflower (with a little low-fat ranch to use for dipping). I needed more calories as a growing teen.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum