Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

John Kasich Was For Iraq War Before He Was Against It

+4
gatorfan
EmeraldGhost
nadalfan
Sal
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Oops ...

(CNN)John Kasich says now that he never would have taken the United States to war in Iraq -- but the Ohio governor supported then-President George W. Bush's push for war in 2002.

In an interview with CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union" aired Sunday, Kasich said, "I would never have committed ourselves to Iraq."

But in November 2002, Kasich, then a former congressman, made a very different argument during an event at The Ohio State University, as the United States was gearing up for war in Iraq.

"We should go to war with Iraq. It's not likely that (Saddam) Hussein will give up his weapons. If he did he would be disgraced in the Arab world," he said then.

Kasich's 2002 comments, in front of a crowd of 100 students at the Kuhn Honors and Scholars House, were reported at the time by The Lantern, Ohio State's student newspaper, under the headline: "Fireside speaker favors war with Iraq."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/16/politics/john-kasich-iraq-war-2002/index.html

nadalfan

Salinsky wrote:Oops ...

(CNN)John Kasich says now that he never would have taken the United States to war in Iraq -- but the Ohio governor supported then-President George W. Bush's push for war in 2002.

In an interview with CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union" aired Sunday, Kasich said, "I would never have committed ourselves to Iraq."

But in November 2002, Kasich, then a former congressman, made a very different argument during an event at The Ohio State University, as the United States was gearing up for war in Iraq.

"We should go to war with Iraq. It's not likely that (Saddam) Hussein will give up his weapons. If he did he would be disgraced in the Arab world," he said then.

Kasich's 2002 comments, in front of a crowd of 100 students at the Kuhn Honors and Scholars House, were reported at the time by The Lantern, Ohio State's student newspaper, under the headline: "Fireside speaker favors war with Iraq."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/16/politics/john-kasich-iraq-war-2002/index.html
And he opposes the Iran deal, although he wouldn't rip up the agreement, he'd wait for them to violate the terms and then expand sanctions.

He does support sending ground troops to fight ISIS.

Disappointing. I had hoped he represented some sanity in the GOP field.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

A lot of politicians (and people) Republican and Democrat alike supported and voted for the invasion including Joahn Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Joe Lieberman, Diane Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, etc

As for me ... I supported taking out Saddam Hussein & searching the country for WMD's to our satisfaction.   But once those two objectives were accomplished we should have left & let them choose a new leader in whatever way they wanted to & rebuild themselves. We also should have left most of the Iraqi military (except the Republican Guard) intact, as well as most of the civil service who happened to be Bath Party members (excepting those at the very top.)

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 8/18/2015, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

gatorfan

He had no vote in the matter - just an opinion. These Democrats did in fact have a say and they supported the misguided affair. Can you name the ones who now say they oppose the war?

YEAs — 77

Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Breaux (D-LA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Daschle (D-SD)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA) Hollings (D-SC)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Miller (D-GA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY)
Torricelli (D-NJ)

gatorfan

nadalfan wrote:
Salinsky wrote:Oops ...

l
And he opposes the Iran deal, although he wouldn't rip up the agreement, he'd wait for them to violate the terms and then expand sanctions.

He does support sending ground troops to fight ISIS.

Disappointing.  I had hoped he represented some sanity in the GOP field.

Sounds kind of like Obamas policy so I guess we can question his sanity. After all Obama has spent over 40 million dollars training less than 50 people to fight ISIS in Syria, not exactly money well spent since one of their first missions was a total failure. Don't believe for a second the troops we have over there "advising" and "training" aren't also fighting in some capacity.

We just need to pull EVERYONE out and let the people living there sort out their own mess. We will just make it worse.

nadalfan

gatorfan wrote:He had no vote in the matter - just an opinion. These Democrats did in fact have a say and they supported the misguided affair. Can you name the ones who now say they oppose the war?

YEAs — 77

Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Breaux (D-LA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Daschle (D-SD)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA) Hollings (D-SC)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Miller (D-GA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY)
Torricelli (D-NJ)

Some have regretted their vote; guess that's all we can ask for, except maybe learning from that very costly mistake!

boards of FL

boards of FL

The most preferable politicians are those who didn't support the war in Iraq before, and continue to view that war as a tragic mistake today.

The second most preferable politicians are those who supported the war before, but have since come around to view that war as a tragic mistake today.

The least preferable politicians are those who supported the war before and continue to view it as a good decision today. These have absolutely no business being anywhere near presidential politics and should not be taken seriously.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Link: HILLARY: I voted for the Iraq war before I opposed it

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 8/18/2015, 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

nadalfan

boards of FL wrote:The most preferable politicians are those who didn't support the war in Iraq before, and continue to view that war as a tragic mistake today.

The second most preferable politicians are those who supported the war before, but have since come around to view that war as a tragic mistake today.

The least preferable politicians are those who supported the war before and continue to view it as a good decision today.  These have absolutely no business being anywhere near presidential politics and should not be taken seriously.  

Exactly!

nadalfan

EmeraldGhost wrote:HILLARY: I voted for the Iraq war before I opposed it

Yep, wish she hadn't, but glad she regrets it.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Who could have guessed that the President, Vice President, Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense would all lie...935 times...in the days before the Iraq invasion?

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/12/leadup-iraq-war-timeline

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

boards of FL wrote:The least preferable politicians are those who supported the war before and continue to view it as a good decision today.  These have absolutely no business being anywhere near presidential politics and should not be taken seriously.  

I agree totally. That just about eliminates the entire GOP field.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:The most preferable politicians are those who didn't support the war in Iraq before, and continue to view that war as a tragic mistake today.

The least preferable politicians are those who supported the war before and continue to view it as a good decision today.  These have absolutely no business being anywhere near presidential politics and should not be taken seriously.  

Your futility and desperation is duly noted.

"I don't think you can criticize the President for trying to act on the belief that they have a substantial amount of chemical and biological stock. . . . That is what I was always told," Clinton said.
- Former President Clinton Wednesday, April 16, 2003

"Could Be One of the Great Achievements of This Administration" The vice president said he’d been to Iraq 17 times and visits the country every three months or so. "I know every one of the major players in all the segments of that society" he said. "It's impressed me. I've been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences."
- Vice President Joe Biden (D) Feb. 10, 2010

How has the war President Barack Hussein Obama said we SHOULD have been fighting going? How is the Middle East going now that President Obama is President? Oh, Afghanistan just crossed 2,330 American fatalities. Seventy percent of whom died since President Obama took office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Is45Jwqizc

And now the Obama administration wants to TAKE CREDIT for the Iraq war…whew….

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum